Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fun with the Ricoh GR III

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Ricoh GR III

I have been trying to do something a bit different with the Ricoh GR system (not everyones cup of tea)...
    Owned the GR, GR II and now GR III. I find great joy in using such a well thought out camera system with it's compact form and ease of use very inspirational for creative expression photography.

Anonymous Street Model
    by tOny endieveri, on Flickr

Look Up

Eliza Doolittle
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by phOtOny teXas View Post
    Hi Tony
    and welcome!
    Very nice pictures, and nicely different too!....and I think specially this one is very strong, and very close, which contributes together with your abstract blend to the special and strong view
    best thorkil
    Ps. let me ask, that in the middle, is it at steal from Rubens or so?

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Thorkil, glad you enjoy the photos.
    Not a Rubens ha, just walking by a old painting in a Houston museum with some GR magic.

He Returns

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Hi Tony
    and welcome!
    Very nice pictures, and nicely different too!....and I think specially this one is very strong, and very close, which contributes together with your abstract blend to the special and strong view
    best thorkil
    Ps. let me ask, that in the middle, is it at steal from Rubens or so?
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

just turned it on M, to manually adjust shutter and aperture and let the iso auto adjust.

thorkil
    If you let iso auto adjust how do you apply more/less exposure? I ask as I tend to over expose the meter reading but would want to be not be committed and to expose normally or less sometimes.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tonygamble View Post
    If you let iso auto adjust how do you apply more/less exposure? I ask as I tend to over expose the meter reading but would want to be not be committed and to expose normally or less sometimes.

Tony
    Hi Tony, in M setting (where the ADJ-button is occupied for shutterspeed - else this is used for +/-EV), you just instead turn the outer-ring-wheel at the backside with your thumb, and you see the according +/- EV amount at the buttom at the screen, at the right side, very handy and fast
    best thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone explain how the GR III image control parameters work? For instance, when selecting one of the effects, eg Standard, Vivid, Positive Film etc and then pressing Fn button you can change various settings such as saturation, sharpness etc. For me, these parameters are only all zero by default for the Standard mode. All the others have one or more parameters set to other than zero. For Positive Film the defaults are

High/Low Key -1
    Contrast +3
    Contrast (highlight) -1
    Contrast (shadow) -2

This seems non-intuitive to me - I'd expect each of these modes to offer different looks starting with all parameters at 0?
    Does it mean that if I zero all of the above for Positive Film, I am back at the same as the 'Standard' effect?

If the above settings truly are the default for Positive Film and I adjust any of them, I'll never remember how to get back to these defaults!

For comparison, on the Sigma dp Quattro series, each of the film modes start off with all parameters zeroed even though they offer different looks at those zero settings.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

If I take a DNG file and process it in-camera and select Positive Film and set all the parameters to 0, the resulting image does look different to the Standard mode. Similarly, Vivid, when all parameters are set to 0 does indeed look more saturated than standard.

By default, Hi Contrast B&W has Grain set to 3 but this parameter was only introduced in firmware 1.2, so I wonder why it would now have a default of 3, whereas prior to 1.2 presumably this value was not set?

Could it be that in firmware 1.2 they have mistakenly set non-zero parameters as the defaults?

Or maybe my understanding is just way off? Of course I do not have an earlier GR model to compare the default looks with ...
    Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm at no help here, perhaps Louis?

Post Thanks / Like

Portrait experiment...

S and S
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoying my GR III so far ...

Lee
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lee
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Have any of you folk thought of a good small flash for the odd time you want to 'fill' against a backlit shot in the sunshine?

I'd rely on the ASA and stabilisation for my interior shots but I do like fill for those extra bright days.

So nothing too big please!

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Desenzano

Ricoh GRIII at iso160 1/80 f9 through C1pro12.1win

thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone using the highlight-weighted metering mode? I haven't been able to determine when to switch to this setting. For me it's been hit or miss, with mostly miss shots. I'd love to see some examples of images that work well with this setting.

Post Thanks / Like

Desenzano

Ricoh GRIII at iso160 1/80 f9 through C1pro12.1win

thorkil
    It's a small world (RX100V). I prefer your composition and the Ricoh's file, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00770.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	975.5 KB 
ID:	143523  

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ha-ha, Retow , yes sometimes the world is just small
    I took also your angle, and was about lifting the shadows too, but coming out from the old Castle, where there were an video exhibition with the weird and famous Italian painter Caravaggio (1571-1610), it seemed that I had seen "the light", which mean he operates with hefty darkness and hefty "spotlight" on the figures - I was thinking perhaps we all are trapped by doing a equalizing between shadows and light, so I left the shadows almost alone (just lifted a tiny bit) in honor to Caravaggio.
    So I consider posting weird pictures of weird paintings from a weird artist..
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly, the most famous sandwich bar in London, even the whole world...

-----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Harvest Festival display, Rainham Church, Essex - GRIII

-----
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Big Eye
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

'Free Range' - Farm in Stanbury, West Yorkshire.

-----
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just a consideration:
    while I really do think the Ricoh GR is about the only REAL pocket-camera of high IQ-capacity, I'm considering 3 options to have with me when I absolutely don't want to drag an ordinary camera with, while not feeling in the ultimate photo-mood, or just don't care for holding the size and weight, and dont want to concentrate on the level such a committed camera ask you for to be in (even of a Z7 or X-T3 or even a X-E3), so:
    1. buying a Iphone 11 pro, while it seems to take really good pictures (instead of my Samsung 8)
    2. buying a Z50, even though its not a pocket-camera, but its handy and familiar with my Z7, so its like being at home
    3. just putting the GR III in my pocket without any protection, so its available just as quick as a phone, and take the risk of hurting the lens-closing-mechanism - while we only live once (perhaps washing trousers with inside out in the future then, to avoid pocket-wool then)
    The option 3. seems to be the most attractive (and the most moneysaving option (before a lens-door-damage), while its just here).
    Anyone doing the option 3.???
    (Well silly questions one can't have enough of...)
    thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

just a consideration:
    3. just putting the GR III in my pocket without any protection, so its available just as quick as a phone, and take the risk of hurting the lens-closing-mechanism
    Why don't you make a thin cloth pouch that fits around the GR III. Leave it open on one side (top-side in your pocket). So grabbing the camera from your pocket is as quick as without the pouch. Putting it back you first put it in the pouch, and then put the two together in your pocket. I think that's almost as convenient and avoids the risk of damaging the lens closing mechanism and/or getting lint in the camera openings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Why don't you make a thin cloth pouch that fits around the GR III. Leave it open on one side (top-side in your pocket). So grabbing the camera from your pocket is as quick as without the pouch. Putting it back you first put it in the pouch, and then put the two together in your pocket. I think that's almost as convenient and avoids the risk of damaging the lens closing mechanism and/or getting lint in the camera openings.
    fine idea Pegelli, only if not it contained the worrying words: "Why don't you make a...", well I just ordered a Ricoh soft leather case GC-10, which is open at the top.., then I can avoid challenging my creative skills ..
    thanks

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a Fuji XF10, which is essentially the same size as the GRIII. I put it in a small soft nylon pouch that also has a belt strap. I can slip the camera in a coat pocket, put it on a belt, or stick it in my camera bag. I am not sure I could put the camera in a pants pocket. Naturally, if a break the XF10, it is half the price of a GRIII. But I find very little reason not to take my XF10 with me--it is amazingly small.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

fine idea Pegelli, only if not it contained the worrying words: "Why don't you make a...", well I just ordered a Ricoh soft leather case GC-10, which is open at the top.., then I can avoid challenging my creative skills ..
    thanks
    Shouldn't every modern man be able to use thread and needle

But the GC-10 is indeed close to the idea I suggested. Only you'll have to fold back to top slip to be able to pull the camera directly from your pocket, without first pulling out the case and then pulling the camera from the case.
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Shouldn't every modern man be able to use thread and needle

But the GC-10 is indeed close to the idea I suggested. Only you'll have to fold back to top slip to be able to pull the camera directly from your pocket, without first pulling out the case and then pulling the camera from the case.
    Well I did once use a needle and thread..when I was 18 I sued a fine leathercase for my Rollei 35, before I left on my danish motorbike Nimbus (please google ) to the Mediteranian Sea, together with a pal, also on his Nimbus...well that was a tour, crowds were gathering everywhere we came, they had not ever seen a 4-cylinder, with overhead camshaft and free exposed valves and operating valve-spring, that was a show every time we started..
    Yes I'm thinking of cutting the strap off, but perhaps it will be handy for pulling it a bit up...
    Will, after having had a GR in the belt for several years, and looking like a gun-man, the crusial thing for me now is trying actually having it in the pocket, I imagine it could be a gamechanger for me..
    best
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will, after having had a GR in the belt for several years, and looking like a gun-man, the crusial thing for me now is trying actually having it in the pocket, I imagine it could be a gamechanger for me..
    best
    Cargo pockets, like those on hiking pants! Although, I think they may not work well on business suits and tuxedos, but fashion and trend setting has never been my strong suit. I might get out those needles again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Cargo pockets, like those on hiking pants! Although, I think they may not work well on business suits and tuxedos, but fashion and trend setting has never been my strong suit. I might get out those needles again...
    neither do I, use business suit, just Wrangler jeans, cowboy-trousers we called it in the early times, as architect in Denmark, its luckily okay to look like a well-preserved homeless
    but keys in the right pocket and a GR in the left, mobile and money in the back ones, who could ask for being more well-equipped

Post Thanks / Like

I've been sticking this camera in my jeans pocket without a case. I found that this works well if there's no case and if I use the small strap that comes with the camera. Every other combination has been more difficult for me. I never considered the possibility that this could damage the camera. It seems solid to me.

There is new firmware that was just released
    https://www.dpreview.com/news/378515...-camera-system

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    I've been sticking this camera in my jeans pocket without a case. I found that this works well if there's no case and if I use the small strap that comes with the camera. Every other combination has been more difficult for me. I never considered the possibility that this could damage the camera. It seems solid to me.

, yes that I will do too, then, if the leathercase is too much in the way. My mind is constructed that way, if circumstances are too much uphill it kills my photolust. And its too late to tell my mind other ways to behave.
    So off it go, the leathercase, if it's in the way, in any way , just needed that the little push..
    Yes I've tried to update but guess the battery wasn't proper full, while it refused..it's on charge..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just a little service-info.
    Normally I always use Sandisk Extreme Pro SD while they have ever done their best to me.
    But buying the GR the only available in the shop was Lexar Professional.
    But formatting the Lexar in the camera and then on the PC copied the bin-update file to the root: turned it on while pressing the Menu : "The card is not formattet" - several times the same statement.
    So putting a Sandisk Extreme Pro in, and it just succeeded as usual (ver. 1.30), so I wont use Lexar any more (!)

Post Thanks / Like

just a consideration:
    while I really do think the Ricoh GR is about the only REAL pocket-camera of high IQ-capacity, I'm considering 3 options to have with me when I absolutely don't want to drag an ordinary camera with, while not feeling in the ultimate photo-mood, or just don't care for holding the size and weight, and dont want to concentrate on the level such a committed camera ask you for to be in (even of a Z7 or X-T3 or even a X-E3), so:
    1. buying a Iphone 11 pro, while it seems to take really good pictures (instead of my Samsung 8)
    2. buying a Z50, even though its not a pocket-camera, but its handy and familiar with my Z7, so its like being at home
    3. just putting the GR III in my pocket without any protection, so its available just as quick as a phone, and take the risk of hurting the lens-closing-mechanism - while we only live once (perhaps washing trousers with inside out in the future then, to avoid pocket-wool then)
    The option 3. seems to be the most attractive (and the most moneysaving option (before a lens-door-damage), while its just here).
    Anyone doing the option 3.???
    (Well silly questions one can't have enough of...)
    thorkil
    I'd vote for option 1-iPhone here.

I don't have a GRIII, but an RX100II is my in-between that has better IQ than my phone (currently Pixel 2 XL), but easier to carry than my Sony A7rII. Realistically these days though, I just use my phone for occasions when I don't want to lug the big camera, and the RX100ii is now pretty much only used for diving in my underwater housing. There's definitely a difference in image quality between the 1" sensor and phone, but for the usage I intend (mostly online or small prints) it is not significant enough to matter.

The software and internet connectivity is a huge plus of using a phone vs. a traditional compact camera also. The editing in smartphones these days makes the experience of enjoying my photos much smoother, and there are even features like handheld image stacking & HDR that mean I can take images I otherwise would need a tripod.

At this point, I would only consider buying a new in-between camera only if it something significantly different from my phone experience like: rugged/60m waterproof for diving, wider zoom range w/ ultrawide, or a fast prime like a 35/2 equivalent. For some people, a 28/4 equivalent is exactly what they want, and the GRIII starts to make sense. Personally though, an iPhone with 3 focal lengths at 12MP (including ultrawide now) and all of the connectivity and software feels much more appealing.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    I'd vote for option 1-iPhone here.

I don't have a GRIII, but an RX100II is my in-between that has better IQ than my phone (currently Pixel 2 XL), but easier to carry than my Sony A7rII. Realistically these days though, I just use my phone for occasions when I don't want to lug the big camera, and the RX100ii is now pretty much only used for diving in my underwater housing. There's definitely a difference in image quality between the 1" sensor and phone, but for the usage I intend (mostly online or small prints) it is not significant enough to matter.

The software and internet connectivity is a huge plus of using a phone vs. a traditional compact camera also. The editing in smartphones these days makes the experience of enjoying my photos much smoother, and there are even features like handheld image stacking & HDR that mean I can take images I otherwise would need a tripod.

At this point, I would only consider buying a new in-between camera only if it something significantly different from my phone experience like: rugged/60m waterproof for diving, wider zoom range w/ ultrawide, or a fast prime like a 35/2 equivalent. For some people, a 28/4 equivalent is exactly what they want, and the GRIII starts to make sense. Personally though, an iPhone with 3 focal lengths at 12MP (including ultrawide now) and all of the connectivity and software feels much more appealing.

thanks a lot for your input Graham!
    I have to admit I'm a bit reactionary and old fashioned. And dealing with phonephotos on the internet isn't my strongest side, apart from doing mms'es to our children etc.
    I have the prejudice about cell phones that they make a copymachine-copy of reality, and not a real photo.
    Yes the Iphone 11 really seems to be in the same league as many good compact cameras and even better cameras. But computerwise I'm a windows-computer guy and the relation between my phone and computer are via USB-cabel (sigh..)
    But I can't let go of the feeling of a "cheap" pseudo-photo when using my phone. I'm not reasonable at that point (even though envy can grow upon me seeing those really fine Iphone-shots...but still...the prejudices)
    So after Adam told me he was just sticking his GR directly into his pocket, without ever thinking about the delicate lens-closing mechanism could end up in a serious pocket wool crisis - then with greater peace of mind I will just put my GR in my pants pocket from now on, and put the concerns aside (mental freedom..), and I am delighted by the thought of, having the very competent GR camera right there in my pocket.
    I have also had several wonderful GR years, so I owe it a great deal of goodwill and solidarity.

KR thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

well with the GR III just naked in the pocket, easy to pull out by the strap...

Ricoh GR III iso320 1/40 f5 through C1pro12win

thorkil
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

crEEp

F-ing Creep

Post Thanks / Like

just a little service-info.
    Normally I always use Sandisk Extreme Pro SD while they have ever done their best to me.
    But buying the GR the only available in the shop was Lexar Professional.
    But formatting the Lexar in the camera and then on the PC copied the bin-update file to the root: turned it on while pressing the Menu : "The card is not formattet" - several times the same statement.
    So putting a Sandisk Extreme Pro in, and it just succeeded as usual (ver. 1.30), so I wont use Lexar any more (!)
    Thorkil, because my Sandisk cards regularly failed I gave up using them many years ago. I've used Lexar ever since without any problems and at present I have one of the last Lexar 32GB 2000x high speed cards in my GRIII and have used it with no problem. I always format my cards in the camera, btw. I wonder what you were sold because Lexar pulled out of the SD card business a couple of years ago and via a management buy-out the successor cards are marketed as ProGrade and I have two 128GB cards in my X-T3. Perhaps it was a knock-off because I can thoroughly recommend Lexar and the successor brand ProGrade.

LouisB
    -----

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post

I do the same. It sits in the coat pockets of various items I own as naked as the day it was born. I do have an screen protector on the LCD. At home I put it into the leather case I have for it, which now I think about is perverse!

LouisB
    -----

Post Thanks / Like

thanks a lot for your input Graham!
    I have to admit I'm a bit reactionary and old fashioned. And dealing with phonephotos on the internet isn't my strongest side, apart from doing mms'es to our children etc.
    I have the prejudice about cell phones that they make a copymachine-copy of reality, and not a real photo.
    Yes the Iphone 11 really seems to be in the same league as many good compact cameras and even better cameras. But computerwise I'm a windows-computer guy and the relation between my phone and computer are via USB-cabel (sigh..)
    But I can't let go of the feeling of a "cheap" pseudo-photo when using my phone. I'm not reasonable at that point (even though envy can grow upon me seeing those really fine Iphone-shots...but still...the prejudices)
    So after Adam told me he was just sticking his GR directly into his pocket, without ever thinking about the delicate lens-closing mechanism could end up in a serious pocket wool crisis - then with greater peace of mind I will just put my GR in my pants pocket from now on, and put the concerns aside (mental freedom..), and I am delighted by the thought of, having the very competent GR camera right there in my pocket.
    I have also had several wonderful GR years, so I owe it a great deal of goodwill and solidarity.

KR thorkil
    I'm with Thorkil. I have a Huawei P20 Pro and the black and white sensor is fantastic but I have never achieved a satisfactory colour photo in the same way I have with my GR before and now my GRIII from a smart phone, to date. In post processing there really is no comparison, imho. It all depends on what you want to do.

LouisB
    -----

Post Thanks / Like

A beautiful GR cipher (George VIth) post box, in front of an up-to-date electronic bus, on a road near Parliament Hill in north London.

I love my GRIII!

-----

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I'm with Thorkil. I have a Huawei P20 Pro and the black and white sensor is fantastic but I have never achieved a satisfactory colour photo in the same way I have with my GR before and now my GRIII from a smart phone, to date. In post processing there really is no comparison, imho. It all depends on what you want to do.

LouisB
    Absolutely, it all depends on your uses and needs.

By the way, I found this super-relevant iPhone 11 Pro vs. GRIII vs. RX100v comparison yesterday!

https://shootingstills.co.uk/iphone-...ty-test-part2/

TLDR summary he provides:

- The iPhone 11 Pro for photography enthusiats or professionals is a superb tool that can deliver great results in all conditions, with ease
    - The iPhone 11 Pro for non photography enthusiats or those that just like posting on social media, replaces the need for a compact camera
    - For the best quality work that holds up under scrutiny, be it in print or high resolution images online, a ‘real’ camera is still required
    - Deep Fusion and Night Mode are both fantastic additions to the iPhone, without them and Smart HDR, it would struggle against the larger sensor cameras
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've just got a crack on my screen of my Samsung S8.
    Then I perhaps could consider the iphone 11 pro, wait for the Samsung S11, or...just replace my S8 screen, which might be more climatefriendly, and we ought to cut down consumption in general...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    A beautiful GR cipher (George VIth) post box, in front of an up-to-date electronic bus, on a road near Parliament Hill in north London.

I love my GRIII!

Lovely shots, as always, Louis.

I took my GRIII on holiday to Cornwall last month and it was the only camera I used. I am beginning to wonder if I really need any of my Fuji kit (X100, X-Pro1, XT3) any more ... for landscape and seascape shots it worked perfectly and there's none of that wacky rendering of fine detail like foliage that still occurs in X-trans files. I just slip it in an old belt case for a Sekonic light meter and it's so easy to carry and keep protected.

I make extensive use of the in-camera crop facility for composition, knowing that the full 18mm FOV can always be recovered in the DNG via the LR plugin.

I do wish I 'knew' more about the strengths of the GRIII, i.e. any special settings, 'tricks of the trade' etc and why those 'film effect' settings are mostly non-zero by default.

Also, is anyone using the GW-4 wide angle lens?

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Lovely shots, as always, Louis.

I took my GRIII on holiday to Cornwall last month and it was the only camera I used. I am beginning to wonder if I really need any of my Fuji kit (X100, X-Pro1, XT3) any more ... for landscape and seascape shots
    Thanks for the comment on the photo. The GRIII like the GR before it is a tiny pocket powerhouse. Like you I've experienced better results in landscape than using my X-T3 (but you may have picked up on the saga that I have gone back to using a Fuji MF camera in the shape of the GFX50R which does outshine the GRIII).

I believe the main strength of the GRIII is the sensor. It seems to be so malleable in post. You can recover a lot shadow and control highlights. The raw images can be further enhanced in the NIK effex suite that I use without breaking down (I have a number of recipes I use - which I used for the post box to enhance the lovely 'pillarbox red' paintwork and that of the bus).

In terms of settings I just use the most straightforward, e.g. I set the aperture to f5.6 and the speed to 1/160 and let the iso float. To date, I have always been able to modify the photo in post with only a few exceptions when the EV is really totally out of whack. Recently, I have been experimenting with the new antishake capability of the GRIII down to 1/30 and it works very well.

When I went on what may well be the trip of a lifetime to Seoul in South Korea a couple of years ago I only took the GR and the WA adapter, plus my trusty Olympus XA film camera. The GR created some of my favourite photographs and Facebook reminded me of this one, today, of two lovely young women in traditional Hanbok costume - taken with the GR and the WA adapter:

-----

Post Thanks / Like

Biter

Post Thanks / Like

An advanced case of Autumn, Primrose Hill Park, London - GRIII

-----

Post Thanks / Like

The Ricoh GRIII - the landscape camera I like to carry with me when I don't want to carry a landscape camera...

-----