The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Ricoh GR III

Thorkil

In that case Louis I can imagine that a visit at the local pizzaria would have been to heavily overdue the act of ultimate thanks for a long life's weldone service (I presume)...:rolleyes:
But really nice pictures from the GRIII
thorkil
ps. can I ask you for your preferred settings ? it looks like you are stopping well down to perhaps f8-10 and what are you lowest practical shutterspeed free hand, 1/30? and guess you always have IBIS on? and which iso's do you find acceptable?

biglouis

In that case Louis I can imagine that a visit at the local pizzaria would have been to heavily overdue the act of ultimate thanks for a long life's weldone service (I presume)...:rolleyes:
But really nice pictures from the GRIII
thorkil
ps. can I ask you for your preferred settings ? it looks like you are stopping well down to perhaps f8-10 and what are you lowest practical shutterspeed free hand, 1/30? and guess you always have IBIS on? and which iso's do you find acceptable?
Thorkil

I shoot that GRIII like I did with my GR, which is I've set U1 to be 1/160 and f5.6 and rarely deviate. In other words I allow the iso to float rather than change speeds and aperture according to lighting conditions. That's because about 99% of what I do are urban landscapes. That is the setting for the tower block and train photos. For the others I had increased the aperture to f7.1 because it was a very bright day and I just figured, why not? Anti-shake was on but I am not sure if it is effective at those speeds.

The thing I do like about the GRIII (same as the previous GR) is that the raw files are very flat. They beg to be post processed and they retain all their detail without degrading too much, so I generally pass them through a few recipes that I have in ColorEffex which I have developed. I tend to over-saturate but I like to do that with really grungy looking landscapes to create impact (rather than leave them dull and dismal).

On balance I'd say they IQ of the GRIII is not as outstanding as the GR. There is something missing I can't quite put my finger on. The ergonomics are still excellent and the bonus is the slightly smaller body. And indeed for the size there is nothing to touch the IQ of the GRIII except maybe the vastly more expensive Sony RX1RII, imho.

LouisB

Thorkil

Thorkil

I shoot that GRIII like I did with my GR, which is I've set U1 to be 1/160 and f5.6 and rarely deviate. In other words I allow the iso to float rather than change speeds and aperture according to lighting conditions. That's because about 99% of what I do are urban landscapes. That is the setting for the tower block and train photos. For the others I had increased the aperture to f7.1 because it was a very bright day and I just figured, why not? Anti-shake was on but I am not sure if it is effective at those speeds.

The thing I do like about the GRIII (same as the previous GR) is that the raw files are very flat. They beg to be post processed and they retain all their detail without degrading too much, so I generally pass them through a few recipes that I have in ColorEffex which I have developed. I tend to over-saturate but I like to do that with really grungy looking landscapes to create impact (rather than leave them dull and dismal).

On balance I'd say they IQ of the GRIII is not as outstanding as the GR. There is something missing I can't quite put my finger on. The ergonomics are still excellent and the bonus is the slightly smaller body. And indeed for the size there is nothing to touch the IQ of the GRIII except maybe the vastly more expensive Sony RX1RII, imho.

LouisB
Hi Louis
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I will investigate further in them later on. While yesterday, I couldn't find out to get it to react like I was used to on the GR. The fastmeny I couldn't find, so I decided that I wasn't in a mentally position where I could take me the sufficient time needed (like looking in the usermanual!). Perhaps while the Nikon Z is so simple for me to use and therefore occupie my mind with its simple and easy handling. I can understand you use it as the old TAV setting, just manual aperture and shutter and iso floating. Thats my preferred handling too.
Thanks for now.
Thorkil

Thorkil

well Louis, had to give it a positive try...

Ricoh GRIII at iso2500 1/80 f8 through C1pro12.1win
Caprino Veronese Italy

I found out/recalled the quick-meny by the ADJ-pressing, added Iso just to be able to quick confirm the auto-iso-setting,
just turned it on M, to manually adjust shutter and aperture and let the iso auto adjust.
Its some rather healthy rawfiles at 30Mb, so you are able to get at lot out of them, and crop like here.
thorkil

Thorkil

30mb surprised me. I thought it was more like 24mb.

Just curious.

Tony
Ricoh's 24Mp APS-C sensor gave me recently between 28,5 Mb and 37,6 Mb DNG files.
Where the Nikon Z7 46 Mp FF sensor gave me recently between 85,3 Mb and 90,2 Mb NEF files
Shooting with the Fuji X-T2 24Mp APS-C sensor gave between 49 Mb and 49,4 RAF files.
Don't know why the differences between the GRIII DNG-files and X-T2 RAF-files are so big, but I'm no camera technician
Thorkil

Thorkil

these are very very fine and beautifull pictures!
should one point out one of them, has this picture a very special bokeh and the colorgrains are special delicate, creating a rather certain and roomy perspective..:thumbup:
thorkil

biglouis

these are very very fine and beautifull pictures!
should one point out one of them, has this picture a very special bokeh and the colorgrains are special delicate, creating a rather certain and roomy perspective..:thumbup:
thorkil
Thanks, Thorkil - I thought it rather special, too. You can see the tongue extended deep into the plant (a thistle) sucking up the pollen. I am incredibly impressed with the performance of the camera. The lens was stopped down to f7.1, speed 1/800 and I allowed the iso to float to 1000. I was only playing around at macro as I noticed the moths when I was out walking (I call the GRIII the camera I take with me when I don't want to carry a camera) and figured, what they hey, might as well try out the macro feature. I could only view the captures on the rear screen but I was pretty taken aback with this one - it looked pretty amazing even on the screen. The AF, sharpness of the lens and as you point out the subtlety of the grain is outstanding by any reasonable judgement. It is clearly a challenge using this camera for macro but as these show patience has its rewards. Thanks again for your comments.

LouisB

Thorkil

well, for a long time, I've had have this longing for doing silly shots again, meaning prefocused (at snap-distance 1,5m or 2m) hipshot, just looking at your subject, with the nice happy-go-lucky feeling,
so bringing the GRIII along to an Italian marked could be the silly-game...

GRIII at iso400 1/50 f8
the hardworking member of the fruitmarket

GRIII at iso100 1/50 f8

GRIII at iso400 1/80 f8

GRIII at iso250 1/80 f8
the humble and silence african man

GRIII at iso640 1/80 f8
the flower-sellers

GRIII at iso1000 1/80 f8

GRIII at iso6400 1/80 f6.3
afterwards at the nearby cafe these people came in, and there were in about 10-15 minutes an immense and unbelievable shouting and crying at an abnorm huge level, then suddenly silence for another 10 minutes, while reading and drinking, then returning to the huge crying and shouting for another 5 minutes - then they left - life boiled down to the meaning of life - in the Italian way - If you ever has seen the Frederico Felini movie Amacord and others, you will realize these aren't fiction-movies...they are documentary-movies - the Italian's are able to do something no other can do (except for ruling a country), and this time exclusively the elder generation - sometimes this is the lifestyle to fall in love in...

thorkil
just a PS - its hard to find another camera that will bring you in the almost complete unnoticed level at such close situation - its a rewarding camera and at the same time feels like a very forgiving camera too - and are able to stretch between what Louis just has shown and the more careless hip-shooting

phOtOny teXas

thanks Thorkil, glad you enjoy the photos.
Not a Rubens ha, just walking by a old painting in a Houston museum with some GR magic.

He Returns
by tOny endieveri, on Flickr

Hi Tony
and welcome!
Very nice pictures, and nicely different too!....and I think specially this one is very strong, and very close, which contributes together with your abstract blend to the special and strong view :thumbup:
best thorkil
Ps. let me ask, that in the middle, is it at steal from Rubens or so?:rolleyes::eek:

just turned it on M, to manually adjust shutter and aperture and let the iso auto adjust.

thorkil
If you let iso auto adjust how do you apply more/less exposure? I ask as I tend to over expose the meter reading but would want to be not be committed and to expose normally or less sometimes.

Tony

Thorkil

If you let iso auto adjust how do you apply more/less exposure? I ask as I tend to over expose the meter reading but would want to be not be committed and to expose normally or less sometimes.

Tony
Hi Tony, in M setting (where the ADJ-button is occupied for shutterspeed - else this is used for +/-EV), you just instead turn the outer-ring-wheel at the backside with your thumb, and you see the according +/- EV amount at the buttom at the screen, at the right side, very handy and fast
best thorkil

Sapphie

Can anyone explain how the GR III image control parameters work? For instance, when selecting one of the effects, eg Standard, Vivid, Positive Film etc and then pressing Fn button you can change various settings such as saturation, sharpness etc. For me, these parameters are only all zero by default for the Standard mode. All the others have one or more parameters set to other than zero. For Positive Film the defaults are

High/Low Key -1
Contrast +3
Contrast (highlight) -1
Contrast (shadow) -2

This seems non-intuitive to me - I'd expect each of these modes to offer different looks starting with all parameters at 0?
Does it mean that if I zero all of the above for Positive Film, I am back at the same as the 'Standard' effect?

If the above settings truly are the default for Positive Film and I adjust any of them, I'll never remember how to get back to these defaults!

For comparison, on the Sigma dp Quattro series, each of the film modes start off with all parameters zeroed even though they offer different looks at those zero settings.

Lee

Sapphie

If I take a DNG file and process it in-camera and select Positive Film and set all the parameters to 0, the resulting image does look different to the Standard mode. Similarly, Vivid, when all parameters are set to 0 does indeed look more saturated than standard.

By default, Hi Contrast B&W has Grain set to 3 but this parameter was only introduced in firmware 1.2, so I wonder why it would now have a default of 3, whereas prior to 1.2 presumably this value was not set?

Could it be that in firmware 1.2 they have mistakenly set non-zero parameters as the defaults?

Or maybe my understanding is just way off? Of course I do not have an earlier GR model to compare the default looks with ...
Lee