The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Ricoh GR III

Have any of you folk thought of a good small flash for the odd time you want to 'fill' against a backlit shot in the sunshine?

I'd rely on the ASA and stabilisation for my interior shots but I do like fill for those extra bright days.

So nothing too big please!

Tony

Adam L

Is anyone using the highlight-weighted metering mode? I haven't been able to determine when to switch to this setting. For me it's been hit or miss, with mostly miss shots. I'd love to see some examples of images that work well with this setting.

Thorkil

ha-ha, Retow :), yes sometimes the world is just small :)
I took also your angle, and was about lifting the shadows too, but coming out from the old Castle, where there were an video exhibition with the weird and famous Italian painter Caravaggio (1571-1610), it seemed that I had seen "the light", which mean he operates with hefty darkness and hefty "spotlight" on the figures - I was thinking perhaps we all are trapped by doing a equalizing between shadows and light, so I left the shadows almost alone (just lifted a tiny bit) in honor to Caravaggio.
So I consider posting weird pictures of weird paintings from a weird artist..

Thorkil

just a consideration:
while I really do think the Ricoh GR is about the only REAL pocket-camera of high IQ-capacity, I'm considering 3 options to have with me when I absolutely don't want to drag an ordinary camera with, while not feeling in the ultimate photo-mood, or just don't care for holding the size and weight, and dont want to concentrate on the level such a committed camera ask you for to be in (even of a Z7 or X-T3 or even a X-E3), so:
1. buying a Iphone 11 pro, while it seems to take really good pictures (instead of my Samsung 8)
2. buying a Z50, even though its not a pocket-camera, but its handy and familiar with my Z7, so its like being at home
3. just putting the GR III in my pocket without any protection, so its available just as quick as a phone, and take the risk of hurting the lens-closing-mechanism - while we only live once (perhaps washing trousers with inside out in the future then:lecture:, to avoid pocket-wool then)
The option 3. seems to be the most attractive (and the most moneysaving option (before a lens-door-damage), while its just here).
Anyone doing the option 3.???
(Well silly questions one can't have enough of...:grin:)
thorkil

pegelli

just a consideration:
3. just putting the GR III in my pocket without any protection, so its available just as quick as a phone, and take the risk of hurting the lens-closing-mechanism
Why don't you make a thin cloth pouch that fits around the GR III. Leave it open on one side (top-side in your pocket). So grabbing the camera from your pocket is as quick as without the pouch. Putting it back you first put it in the pouch, and then put the two together in your pocket. I think that's almost as convenient and avoids the risk of damaging the lens closing mechanism and/or getting lint in the camera openings.

Thorkil

Why don't you make a thin cloth pouch that fits around the GR III. Leave it open on one side (top-side in your pocket). So grabbing the camera from your pocket is as quick as without the pouch. Putting it back you first put it in the pouch, and then put the two together in your pocket. I think that's almost as convenient and avoids the risk of damaging the lens closing mechanism and/or getting lint in the camera openings.
fine idea Pegelli, only if not it contained the worrying words: "Why don't you make a...", well I just ordered a Ricoh soft leather case GC-10, which is open at the top..:thumbup:, then I can avoid challenging my creative skills ..:angel:

Shashin

I have a Fuji XF10, which is essentially the same size as the GRIII. I put it in a small soft nylon pouch that also has a belt strap. I can slip the camera in a coat pocket, put it on a belt, or stick it in my camera bag. I am not sure I could put the camera in a pants pocket. Naturally, if a break the XF10, it is half the price of a GRIII. :toocool: But I find very little reason not to take my XF10 with me--it is amazingly small.

pegelli

fine idea Pegelli, only if not it contained the worrying words: "Why don't you make a...", well I just ordered a Ricoh soft leather case GC-10, which is open at the top..:thumbup:, then I can avoid challenging my creative skills ..:angel:
Shouldn't every modern man be able to use thread and needle :toocool: :ROTFL:

But the GC-10 is indeed close to the idea I suggested. Only you'll have to fold back to top slip to be able to pull the camera directly from your pocket, without first pulling out the case and then pulling the camera from the case.

Thorkil

Shouldn't every modern man be able to use thread and needle :toocool: :ROTFL:

But the GC-10 is indeed close to the idea I suggested. Only you'll have to fold back to top slip to be able to pull the camera directly from your pocket, without first pulling out the case and then pulling the camera from the case.
:D Well I did once use a needle and thread..when I was 18 I sued a fine leathercase for my Rollei 35, before I left on my danish motorbike Nimbus (please google ;)) to the Mediteranian Sea, together with a pal, also on his Nimbus...well that was a tour, crowds were gathering everywhere we came, they had not ever seen a 4-cylinder, with overhead camshaft and free exposed valves and operating valve-spring, that was a show every time we started.. :)
Yes I'm thinking of cutting the strap off, but perhaps it will be handy for pulling it a bit up...
Will, after having had a GR in the belt for several years, and looking like a gun-man, the crusial thing for me now is trying actually having it in the pocket, I imagine it could be a gamechanger for me..
best

Shashin

Will, after having had a GR in the belt for several years, and looking like a gun-man, the crusial thing for me now is trying actually having it in the pocket, I imagine it could be a gamechanger for me..
best
Cargo pockets, like those on hiking pants! Although, I think they may not work well on business suits and tuxedos, but fashion and trend setting has never been my strong suit. I might get out those needles again...

Thorkil

Cargo pockets, like those on hiking pants! Although, I think they may not work well on business suits and tuxedos, but fashion and trend setting has never been my strong suit. I might get out those needles again...
neither do I, use business suit, just Wrangler jeans, cowboy-trousers we called it in the early times, as architect in Denmark, its luckily okay to look like a well-preserved homeless :grin:
but keys in the right pocket and a GR in the left, mobile and money in the back ones, who could ask for being more well-equipped :)