The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Ricoh GR III

biglouis

is the second image with the same cam.Colors look so different .Maybe processed it differently ?

The Ricoh GRIII - the landscape camera I like to carry with me when I don't want to carry a landscape camera...

After importing and cropping I took both images into Nik ColorEffex where I have a recipe I created and used it with both. I think the variation may be due to the cloud cover over the sun which was behind and which changed between both shots. I hope that helps.

LouisB

biglouis

Bee on winter flowering honeysuckle - the weather in the UK continues to be unusual for the season. This plant was full of bees, all covered with pollen and with big nectar baskets on their legs. Very pleasing to see, given the issues with the falling size of the bee population. GRIII in macro mode.

Michiel Schierbeek

Is anyone using the highlight-weighted metering mode? I haven't been able to determine when to switch to this setting. For me it's been hit or miss, with mostly miss shots. I'd love to see some examples of images that work well with this setting.
In this review there are some nice examples of the highlight-weighted metering mode. Look for the images with very black shadows. I think you should use it when there is a lot of sunlight and shadows involved especially in streetscenes.
https://petapixel.com/2019/11/15/ricoh-gr-iii-street-photography-review-long-live-the-king/

Michiel Schierbeek

congrats Michiel, its a wonderfull camera, a genuine pocket-one and very mature!
Thank you Thorkil! You must be about the only one who is still looking in this thread. :angel:
It sure is a little powerhouse and pushes me to snap around, where I otherwise probably would pass by.
Couldn´t do as much as I wanted yet because the rain is pouring down for weeks now.

Shashin

Thank you Thorkil! You must be about the only one who is still looking in this thread. :angel:
Not really. I don't post here because I don't have a GR (I have a Fuji XF10), but I love the images. Having a true pocket camera is really nice. The trick I found is to treat it like a real camera and take the time to think about how and what you are photographing.

Thorkil

Yes Michiel, but I do think too like Will, there are a lot more people looking here than expected :), the GR are doing things like a much bigger and more expensive camera..things are coming to us in waves, I might get back to it in some time too...

Michiel Schierbeek

Not really. I don't post here because I don't have a GR (I have a Fuji XF10), but I love the images. Having a true pocket camera is really nice. The trick I found is to treat it like a real camera and take the time to think about how and what you are photographing.
Sorry sir, I underestimated the attention to this thread. I thought it turned into an odd corner of the forum. The other day I said to my wife; I am going out to take some pictures and she said; where is your camera? I said; in my pocket :)

I am trying to threat it like a real camera but I just draw the camera a bit sooner out of my pocket then out of my camera bag.
I actually bought the camera for a trip to Milano and Torino with a friend but we had to cancel it because of the outbreak of the Corona virus in Northern Italy.

No photo for the moment because Flickr is out at the moment. :(

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I can't be the only one who always has the What's New screen up. I see all posts in all fora as they appear. I usually don't even notice which thread. I'm certainly not here to consider YACS (Yet Another Camera System). Oh no. (And they say Dante lives in Medium Format....)

M

biglouis

As far as I am concerned the GRIII is a professional camera. I use it for both pleasure and business. When I am working I tend to carry it in my pocket as a sort-of 'sidearm'. You never know when your main 'weapon' is going to jam. I often use it for pro-type work but of course I don't rely solely on it because it has only one card slot (not that I am complaining). But a few times when I've thought a 28mm fov is needed but I don't have time or it is not convenient to change lenses on my main camera I have whipped out the GRIII and photographed events with it. Works fine. As I have mentioned in this thread before, I call it 'the camera I like to carry when I don't want to carry a camera'.

Here are a few captures taken on my many walks when the camera has come with me.

[/IMG]

Michiel Schierbeek

I can't be the only one who always has the What's New screen up. I see all posts in all fora as they appear. I usually don't even notice which thread. I'm certainly not here to consider YACS (Yet Another Camera System). Oh no. (And they say Dante lives in Medium Format....)

M
Tjeez :facesmack: the first time I use this. I must be out of this world. I always used New Posts directly underneath What's New. I must have a phobia for capital letters.

Michiel Schierbeek

As far as I am concerned the GRIII is a professional camera. I use it for both pleasure and business. When I am working I tend to carry it in my pocket as a sort-of 'sidearm'. You never know when your main 'weapon' is going to jam. I often use it for pro-type work but of course I don't rely solely on it because it has only one card slot (not that I am complaining). But a few times when I've thought a 28mm fov is needed but I don't have time or it is not convenient to change lenses on my main camera I have whipped out the GRIII and photographed events with it. Works fine. As I have mentioned in this thread before, I call it 'the camera I like to carry when I don't want to carry a camera'.

Here are a few captures taken on my many walks when the camera has come with me.
Have been looking at your pictures all the time Louis! Very nice. The camera is a little marvel in deed.
What area of London is your fourth picture? Looks like a very interesting area in transition. Those are the places I like.

biglouis

Have been looking at your pictures all the time Louis! Very nice. The camera is a little marvel in deed.
What area of London is your fourth picture? Looks like a very interesting area in transition. Those are the places I like.
Dear Michiel

The fourth photograph was taken at the Regents Canal (under a railway bridge from St Pancras International) and looking towards the gleaming new towers of the Kings Cross Redevelopment in central London. Well worth a visit if you are ever in London and there is always an open invitation to members of GetDPI to meet up somewhere interesting, like this in London, for some photography together.

Louis

Michiel Schierbeek

Dear Michiel

The fourth photograph was taken at the Regents Canal (under a railway bridge from St Pancras International) and looking towards the gleaming new towers of the Kings Cross Redevelopment in central London. Well worth a visit if you are ever in London and there is always an open invitation to members of GetDPI to meet up somewhere interesting, like this in London, for some photography together.

Louis
Thanks Louis!

I might visit London quiet soon again and send you a PM.

Specialized in the future since 1737