Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who needs more than 6 MP?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Who needs more than 6 MP?

At least for posting photo's on the web

I dusted off my KonicaMinolta 5D (from 2006), which I retired (but didn't selll) when I got my Sony A850 in 2010 and only was sporadically used since then by my kids and a few shots by me. But it still works flawlessly, the viewfinder is a bit small and dim and the AF "pedestrian", but the 6MP images off the CCD have a special feel to them, especially when combined with old Minolta lenses.

So last friday I charged the batteries, set the correct date/time and just had some fun with it.

1: Birch

2: Sheep farm

3: Visitor (slightly cropped)

4: Umbelliferous

5: Rhodondendron

6: Decaying UK letterbox lost in the Belgian countryside

7: Through the fields, into the wood

8: Closed

1-4 with Minolta 35/2, 5-8 with Minolta 85/1.4 RS
    My Pics
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who needs more than 6 MP?

My Olympus E-1, new in 2003, also remains a perfectly viable and super high quality camera despite that its only 5 Mpixel and writes to the card at a speed that makes Methusala wince. Its Olympus Zuiko Digital lenses are excellent too.

It is nice to have more pixels for the freedom in cropping and such that they afford. But for web-only photos... eh.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    At least for posting photo's on the web.
    With that qualification, almost any camera will do.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    It is nice to have more pixels for the freedom in cropping and such that they afford. But for web-only photos... eh.
    # 3 was cropped to about 3.2 MP, still plenty of MP's for web viewing

But for printing (the full sensor size) probably A4 or slightly larger will be the limit. But how many people (in general, not GetDPI members) really print many images larger than that?
    Last edited by pegelli; 5th May 2019 at 12:00.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

# 3 was cropped to about 3.2 MP, still plenty of MP's for web viewing

But for printing (the full sensor size) probably A4 or slightly larger will be the limit. But how many people (in general, not GetDPI members) really print many images larger than that?
    I remember that, back in 2000, when Nikon launched the Coolpix 990 with 3MP, the claim was that it was enough for printing A4 with sufficient detail. In Oslo, camera shops even had images printed at that size on display next to the camera. With current technology (better lenses, no AA-filter etc.), that would be even more true.

If it is, 6MP should be enough for A3 and 12MP enough for A2. Any print size larger than A2 is so large that viewing distance will increase, mostly compensating for any lack of resolution. A3 printers are already expensive in the view of most consumers, and A2 is out of the question for anybody but professionals. Too big, too expensive, A2 photo paper often difficult to find etc.

24MP mostly leaves more than enough room for cropping too, and there are probably good reasons why resolution for most cameras have stopped around that area. I am still using two of my 12MP cameras (D300 and D2Xs), and resolution is not something that I worry about when using them. 10-12MP is also perfect for 4K video, and although 6-8K is on its way in, who on earth needs that kind of video resolution for anything but movie theatres? "My eyes hurt!" as a friend of mine said after visiting a shop with the latest, greatest hi-res TVs.

Hi-res cameras fall in the same category as ultra wide angle, long telephoto and extreme macro. They enable us to see stuff that we cannot see with the naked eye. It's useful for a small group of professionals and enthusiasts, fascinating for most others, but has little value with day-to-day photography for amateurs. I have a photo taken 6 years ago with the 16MP GH2 that is still touring the world as an exhibition booth background at the size of 300 x 240 cm. Visitors still say "WOW... I can almost walk into the photo!".

Two cameras that fascinate me are the video-centric Sony A7s and Panasonic GH5s with their 10-12MP sensor. I wish they had a couple more photographic features (like IBIS), but I've wondered how life would be using those two cameras only for all my photographic, and of course video, needs. My gut feeling is that it would be a liberating as well as rewarding experience. Back to basics, look for the photo, not the pixels. A7s bodies are very cheap used...

Next week, I'm picking up a package consisting of the Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 and the original E-M5. The camera has never been used, and I considered using it as a third body and backup. When I mentioned this to a photo enthusiast friend of mine last night, a man who has used two E-M5 bodies since they were launched, he immediately asked if I could sell the body to him, since both of his bodies are broken after years of use and abuse. Megapixels? I don't think he even knows how many there are in those camera. Why should he? He takes good photos with them.

So I probably won't get a shiny, new, black E-M5 after all

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fuji S3 with Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF D @ f/2.4, 6MP jpeg out of the camera, July 2006

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fuji S3 with Tamron 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 24mm and f/11, 6MP jpeg from camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Olympus E-1 with Zuiko 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 20mm and f/3.9, jpeg out of camera

Olympus E-1 with Zuiko 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 14mm and f/3.5, jpeg out of camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E-1 with Zuiko 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 45mm and f/5.6

The 14-45mm wasn't very sharp at 45mm, particularly not wide open.

And so on...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At least for posting photo's on the web

I dusted off my KonicaMinolta 5D (from 2006), which I retired (but didn't selll)
    Well, that is a blast from the past. I took the 5D out with the Minolta 600mm telephoto (that was before the camera was released). I was stunned by the quality of the image and detail. It was a really nice camera. We are so use to MP in the 20+ range, we cannot understand how much information is in 6MP. I am so happy you are using that camera and never sold it.

(You may be wondering why I could get the camera before it was released--I wrote and designed the manual for that camera (I am even featured in it, at least my arm and hammer are in the flash section). At least the English manual. All languages except for Japanese were translated from the English version. I was with Minolta and then Konica Minolta from 2000 until their last day of business on March 31st, 2006.)
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Well, that is a blast from the past. I took the 5D out with the Minolta 600mm telephoto (that was before the camera was released). I was stunned by the quality of the image and detail. It was a really nice camera. We are so use to MP in the 20+ range, we cannot understand how much information is in 6MP. I am so happy you are using that camera and never sold it.

(You may be wondering why I could get the camera before it was released--I wrote and designed the manual for that camera (I am even featured in it, at least my arm and hammer are in the flash section). At least the English manual. All languages except for Japanese were translated from the English version. I was with Minolta and then Konica Minolta from 2000 until their last day of business on March 31st, 2006.)
    That is a great story Sashin, I'm also glad I never sold the camera. My father had a 7D which I have now given to a friend in Poland who still uses it. Also a wonderful camera and still going strong. I bought the 5D late January 2006, just before KonicaMinolta sold their photography business to Sony. Somehow this never worried me and also allowed me to relatively cheaply pick up many wonderful 2nd hand A-mount lenses that were flooding the market the first year after the sale to Sony. Some I still use until today.

Just found your arm and hamer demonstrating the "Rear flash sync" in the manual. How many lightbulbs did you smash in the process?
    Or were the demos done without the bulb and then later photoshopped in the image?
    My Pics

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't relate to 6MP per se but my best large printed 40in image is a 16MP from my DCS645M:

Remember: adventure before dementia!

The World is a book, and those that do not travel read only one page ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

or 2.75mp from my Nikon D1:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now if you ask me whether my 50/100MP images are better? Yes they are. Are they better artistically? Probably not.

Mega pixels are great but vision is way way way more important.

I'll take a wonderful 2mp image over a boring cliche perfect 100mp image EVERY DAY!!! (I actually hate technically perfect images of cliche locations and argue with my photographer friends who think that this is the ultimate achievement - I'll take flawed images of something interesting and new every time)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now don't misunderstand me. I'm fortunate enough to be able to shoot:

Phase One IQ3100 with XF kit and Actus DB outfit
    Fuji GFX 50s outfit
    Leica M10 kit
    Leica M246 kit
    Sony RX100 VI
    Nikon Df kit with wonderful AIS glass
    Ricoh GRDII
    Sigma Merrills full kit - yup all of them.

(oh, and a bunch of film Leicas)

And the overwhelming thing as I get older is that technology and art are not related. I could shoot a wonderful image with any of those cameras and the technical capabilities wouldn't matter a jot. (Ok, the Leica lenses do have a special look but I digress)

I suspect that it's similar to asking a great writer what typewriter they used.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 6th May 2019 at 00:51.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    And the overwhelming thing as I get older is that technology and art are not related. I could shoot a wonderful image with any of those cameras and the technical capabilities wouldn't matter a jot. (Ok, the Leica lenses do have a special look but I digress)

Agree, using newer/better/more advanced/bigger equipment is just fun, but usually not essential for a great photo.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Olivetti Lettera 32.

Never did the great novel.

Used only for typing invoices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, painters are very peculiar about their brushes, material as well as maker. I suppose they have the same relationship to that as photographers have to lenses. They needn't be the latest model or the most famous brand, but one that fits each individual's way of expression.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I remember that, back in 2000, when Nikon launched the Coolpix 990 with 3MP, the claim was that it was enough for printing A4 with sufficient detail. In Oslo, camera shops even had images printed at that size on display next to the camera. With current technology (better lenses, no AA-filter etc.), that would be even more true.
    I have one of those as well, also a pretty competent machine, especially for it's time.

My Pics
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hanging in my living room are two of my exhibition prints from 2009. Both photos were made between 2006 and 2008, exactly when I'd have to look up to find.

Both are 13 inches on the short side, printed area. The one on the left was made with the Pentax *ist DS 6 Mpixel using Pentax-FA77mm f/1.8 Limited lens, the one on the right was made with the Olympus E-1 using Zuiko Digital 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 ED lens. Both won recognition and awards in the event.

Neither has any problem with pixelation, detailing, or tonal range presented at this size. I've done a couple a little larger from the same cameras (up to 20x24"). I've also seen Jon Isaac's Olympus E-1 exhibition prints, presented at more than double this size—and they are spectacularly beautiful!

What you produce with a camera, any camera, is really up to your eye, your imagination, and your skill at rendering it. There are technical advantages to higher resolution, yes. But sometimes I think much of modern photography is lost in the technical advantages and lacks a larger part of what great photographs should have.

I say this as I bend my head around the notion of finally acquiring a 50 Mpixel Hasselblad X1D. It is important not to lose sight of what is really important in a great photograph, way beyond the mere technical details of its creation.

G

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One of my favourite cameras, and my first digital, the 5MP Canon A95. I gave it away to the girl in my first post of this thread

Post Thanks / Like

My kit ranges from a phone, Ricoh GR, Oly eM5 and the three Sigma DP Merrills.

All of us experienced photographers know that the memorable pictures come from capturing that magic moment in the right light. The likelyhood of that happening more often comes from having a versatile camera that is easy to use.

With due respect I think we all have to admit that those Sigmas come bottom of that wish list. Pigs to use in my view!

However, some colleagues have been putting together a small book illustrating a 42 acre garden. They have had full access to my picture library and no propoganda from me. You would be amazed at the proportion picked that were taken by the Sigmas. There must, to the often untutored eye, be a little extra in the images.

My studio portraits taken with the Sigmas have the slight edge over those from the Olys - as long as the content is as good. Some friends wanted a studio reference to send to an oil painting artist so he could recreate a Gainsborough style portrait. We were working slowly with well planned poses so the Sigma was not a hindrance. The oil artist was staggered at the quality of the files I sent him.

To answer the OP who needs more than 6 mp? Maybe the answer is nobody - but if you can increase it tenfold with a Sigma it ain't half nice to have!

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Epson R-D1 with 6.1mp. I think I shot this with a Noctilux 1.0 or 75mm Summilux. It prints nicely at 8x10.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_EPS1139.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	141313

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just found your arm and hamer demonstrating the "Rear flash sync" in the manual. How many lightbulbs did you smash in the process?
    Or were the demos done without the bulb and then later photoshopped in the image?
    Not sure I can reveal a trade secret...but the rear-sync example is actually the first curtain sync and vice versa--the hammer is moving up. After all, I did not want to break the bulb and no one can tell the difference.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like

As good as some of the images are from these old cameras, I am glad they did not stop sensor development at 6MP.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

or 2.75mp from my Nikon D1:
    So much more impressive if you write it 2,750,000 pixels. Or even 2.75x10^6, after all, who the hell understands scientific notation?
    Will

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Over 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 pixels (base 2), but only 29f630 in HEX.
    mattgraysonphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Olivetti Lettera 32.

Never did the great novel.

Used only for typing invoices.
    I am sure your clients appreciated the effort. Monotypes say "pay me" in ways computer-to-plate cannot...

Post Thanks / Like

I really like this shot from sailing in to the Antarctic in 2005 with a little pocket Sony DSC-W1, 5mp of goodness.

http://matrichardson.com/
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I miss those days when upgrades to sensors were literally 100%+ increases in resolution. The joys (ok, not joys at $7-8k per camera) of going from a D1 to a D1x to a D2x to a D3/D3x and so on.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I miss those days when upgrades to sensors were literally 100%+ increases in resolution. The joys (ok, not joys at $7-8k per camera) of going from a D1 to a D1x to a D2x to a D3/D3x and so on.
    On A-mount I went from 6 ==> 12 ==> 24 (KM5D ==> A700 ==> A850) 2 steps for just over 1 k$ per step

On E-mount my steps were less spectacular 14 ==> 16 ==> 24 (NEX5 ==> NEX6 ==> A6000/A7/A7ii) but these steps were all far below 1 k$ per step/camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well that just shows the cost of being early adopters, in my case with Nikon. That said, I donít regret any of it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My only regrets are from not buying equipment when there was a good opportunity

My Pics

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fortunately, storage prices dropped with the increase in pixels or we would be paying double for those advances. Remember when manufacturers would include 8MB or 16MB cards with their cameras? I don't have a single camera now that could write one image to one of those cards!

Post Thanks / Like

For me it was the Epson R-D1, which I bought on a whim second hand from R G Lewis, and which introduced me to the massively expensive world of Leica lenses, and eventually Leica Cameras.

One of my favourite photos of all time, I think with the 28mm Elmarit, 'Wheat Before The Storm' (2006).

This is a photo of Bignor Hill, used by the South Downs National Park for one of their information leaflets (2006). I called this 'Late afternoon, time for tea.'

My homage to the greatest rock band in the world, when they reformed for one concert in 2007, I called this 'Red Box, Red Pub, Led Zep' (Commercial Road, Whitechapel).
    -----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Folks my find this photographers love affair with the Nikon D1 interesting: https://petapixel.com/2019/05/14/usi...omegrown-dslr/

Post Thanks / Like

If we really want to delve into history here are some shots I still have from my first digital camera, the Panasonic KXL-600A which I purchased in a Singapore duty free shop on my way to Australia in 1997. I believe I created the first ever blog using this camera, a series of pages for my web site which documented my visit with words and photographs, taken with the KXL-600A. One day when I can be bothered I'll put the pages up again and claim to be first with the Guiness Book of Records (haha, btw the word 'blog' had not been invented at the time iirc).

I can't even recall the SD card size (1MB??? 2MB???) and the resolution I think was 640x480. You could get about 10-12 shots per 4x AAA batteries. I loved it!

My career until I became a secondary school teacher was in IT as a software developer and then all the way up to IT Director, so having access to digital imagery for someone like me was a fantastic improvement over film technology. Oddly enough, I kept using film until I purchased my second digital camera, a Canon p&s - purely to create eBay listings! - in around 2001. I used the Canon to help me sell pretty much everything I owned through eBay at a time in my life (after my business went into a tailspin) when I needed to create some cash flow. That will be my second book 'How eBay Saved My Life' (hehe).

LouisB
    -----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Not me. My two Sigmas are each 4.7MP (2640x1760px) - more than enough for my 1920x1200px monitor and I don't print.

I've been up to the heady heights of 15MP with a few Sigma "Merrill" models but found myself shooting in sensor-binned low res, so I sold them all off ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have an irrational love for my Sigma Merrils. In almost every way they are horrible to use yet the results under the right circumstances can be outstanding. I have the DP1M, DP2M & DP3M. All slow, cumbersome, but hit way above their weight - most of the time. Sometimes they fail spectacularly but the highs beat the lows by a significant margin.

Just make sure that you have a tripod and don't bother shooting sports or street

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Folks my find this photographers love affair with the Nikon D1 interesting: https://petapixel.com/2019/05/14/usi...omegrown-dslr/
    I can relate. He overlooks the IR bleed but I can totally relate to everything else in this article.

And then there's the Nikon Df ... still one my favourites that I still own. Ok, not < 6MP but I think that it still relates to the OP's original thread intention.

I saw the earlier post about the Epson RD-1 - I've owned 3 of them over the ears and should have kept one as a collectable (for me, not $$). Also flawed by IR cut and also lens casts on sensor from Leica film lenses but a joy to use with the pseudo analog dials.

The biggest issue I've run into with these older cameras though is batteries ... definitely the long term Achilles heal. (And why I wouldn't want a current Tesla in 15-20+ years time vs my gas guzzlers). I still have a wonderful Rollei 6006/6008 system and the batteries last what feels like 30 minutes.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 15th May 2019 at 23:11.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am definitely in the use-a-camera-because-I-enjoy-it camp. Not that I would buy a 6 MP camera now, but likewise, I can't think of a single camera today I would class as not having enough pixels. The image that I find so satisfying, not only to look at, but also in making, are not clearly defined by resolution. Photography is ultimately a cognitive problem between the object and observer.

I think we had a similar thread going in the Nikon forum. It raises a really interesting question about digital cameras. Top of the line digital camera can be had at great prices and still produce great images, perhaps not a high ISO, but then I don't really shoot at high ISOs with camera that are good at it.

The 30-minute battery life is not an issue. Buy 48 of them and your can shoot all day! And carrying them will remind you of the good old days when you had to pack two bricks of film--all the benefits of digital with the cache of having to change something in your camera like film!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ralph Gibson is having a retrospective in London. Scroll to the end of the article (link below) and look at one of his most recognized images. Look at the actual detail that is present in the image, not the grain, but detail. So what is the connection between detail and a strong image?

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-48254948
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perfection is over rated and always has been when it comes to art.

Also, I have a LOT of batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

I was very fortunate to see the Don McCullin exhibition at the Tate earlier this month.
    It affected me deeply, so much so I'm still thinking about it.
    All film and except for one or two examples from newspaper magazines, all in black and white.
    And all well below anything even close to 6mp.
    Up close with the medium format shots you see incredible detail with wonderful texture.
    Up close with the 35mm film frames they are smudges... but... stand back about 2-3 feet and the results are sublime, truly sublime... even when they take you into the heart of darkness.
    My ongoing concern with digital equipment is that it has no longevity. If I wasn't so lazy I could still pick up a Hasselblad 500CM with a 80/2.8 - two antique pieces of equipment - and still create lovely images. It is just so much more easy to pick up a digital camera.
    I hope that doesn't make me a shallow and bad person!

LouisB
    Last edited by biglouis; 17th May 2019 at 01:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I hope that doesn't make a shallow and bad person!

LouisB
    Well... we just have to live with your attitudes, don't we

Black and white film, and particularly the two classic high speed emmulsions Tri-X and HP5, has an ability to show details that aren't really there, and to enhance stories that is more in your eyes than on the paper. The engineers at Kodak and Ilford must have spent enormous amounts of time creating those formulas, an artistic triumph in itself.

Those who strive to develop digital sensors to perfection clearly have totally different objectives. It's perfection and perfection hand in hand. But art isn't perfection, and neither is story telling. If nothing is left to the fantasy and the intellect of the viewer, if I'm not challenged by the image to see more than the surface, to use my brain to figure out all the tiny bits, viewing it becomes a flat and boring experience. We are past "kitsch" and on our way to an artistic vision boring beyond anything previously experienced.

When I'm finished with my current lens buying spree, I'm looking at three cameras that are still current but that for photographic purposes are interesting for other reasons than the ever increasing number of pixels: the GH5s, the A7s II and the Df. I have friends who bought the GH5s or the A7s II with the purpose of producing video with them, but who brag endlessly about their qualities for stills photography. The qualities of the Df are well documented on this forum. They are much more than 6MP of course, but again, they are current.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What Never Happens: "I was a great film photographer, but now all my photographs will be boring because I have this boring digital medium."

What Never Happens 2: "My photography was mediocre, but now that I have more megapixels, it will be better."

What Never Happens 3: "My digital photography was soulless, but now that I'm shooting on an old film camera, my work will have meaning and depth."

What Never Happens 4: "The beautiful images I make with my camera are now garbage because someone has released a newer camera with more impressive specs."

What Rarely Happens: "A newly released camera will let me experiment with a kind of photography I haven't previously explored due to technical limitations."

What Rarely Happens 2: "I shoot for large prints that sell well. Now that I have more MP, I can print those even larger images that my customers have been asking for without resorting to stitching."

What Constantly Happens: People believe that all of the above are inevitable.

My 2p,

Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 17th May 2019 at 03:22.
    mattgraysonphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Technology changes the way we take photos and the way we see photos. This is nothing new, and it goes for most artforms. However, I don't think the best or most advanced technology necesarilly give the best results, neither from an artistic nor from an illustrational point of view. More detail, and absolutely more colour, can often distract from the intended message. It's very interesting to study reportage photos and portraits from the fifties and sixties, when colour photos hadn't yet replaced black and white. Some photos simply convey their message better in b&w than in colour. I think it would be naive to think that cleaner photos with higher resolution don't work in a similar way.

Sometimes, when watching an old, simplistic photo with a strong message, I ask myself "Would this photo have been taken at all with current technology? Would the photographer have found the motive strong and interesting enough for the increased resolution and colour fidelity that modern cameras offer?".

There is no scientific way of finding out, but I'm quite sure that I take different photos with film compared to with digital, and when I compare digital photos that I've taken now compared to those I took 10 or more years ago, there are certainly differences that often go along camera and technology lines. I wouldn't say that my photos now are worse. Some has been gained, but some has also been lost.

There was a long discussion when "The Hobbit" was released due to the fact that it was shot at 48 fps, twice the normal movie frame rate, rendering more precise movement and much more details than what was at that time the norm in feature films. Very many comments were negative, and claimed that the increased detail distracted from the film's story. I tend to agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Sometimes, when watching an old, simplistic photo with a strong message, I ask myself "Would this photo have been taken at all with current technology? Would the photographer have found the motive strong and interesting enough for the increased resolution and colour fidelity that modern cameras offer?"
    I tend to think yes. You make an image with the camera at hand.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Even in the 6MP days I did brick wall lens test

KonicaMinolta 5D + Helios 35/2.8 (M42)

The lens was fine, the wall failed
    My Pics

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Curvature of field broke it in half!
    Last edited by Shashin; 18th May 2019 at 08:48.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like

Wrapped my Pentax K110D with 18-55 DA kit zoom in a plastic bag and ventured out as the snow fell...

These are from December 2007. I bought the camera late in 2006, my first DSLR. I still have it, even as many other digital cameras have come and gone.