The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Zeiss Alpha Lenses Backwards Compatible?

kdemas

I'm thinking about getting an A900 with some nice Zeiss glass and I am wondering if the new Alpha lenses can be used with older Minolta bodies, like the Maxxum 9? I'd love to have the flexibility I have now with my D300/F6 combo (shoot some occasional Kodachrome).

Thanks in advance.

Kent

douglasf13

If you can't find the Maxxum 9 with the SSM conversion, the Maxxum 7 is a great camera and works with SSM already. I believe the Maxxum 5, 4, and 3 work as well. The Maxxum 9, while incredible, was a bit older and released before Minolta had SSM.

gsking

Yes, the 7 has every feature, vs. the 9 has many missing. The 9 won't even work with wireless flash with the new 58 flash, for example. They disabled the oldest wireless flash protocol on the 58, so the 9 won't work at all, and the 7 has to be used at speeds greater than 1/60. The 9 also doesn't have ADI or SSM (without modification), no digital display on the back, etc.

But it does have that sexy 1/300 shutter. :)

Greg