Site Sponsors

Thread: K7 arrival

Post Thanks / Like

K7 arrival

I was going to hold off, but got antsy and ordered one up. A few pics. Short story is much better performance than the K20 wrt AF, fps and general performance. It seems to shoot a bit hot, so I'm dialing in some negative exposure comp. Size is a bit bigger than G1, certainly smaller than K20d. Jury is out if it is too small though the grip shape is nice. My thumb is a bit big though.

The 43/1.9 is a very nice fit as is the 35ltd. Pics later.

These were taken without exposure comp. There is a significant jump going to -0.3. This is indoors in a very dark room, iso 800 or 1600, shutter speeds as low as 1/5 sec.

43ltd

43ltd crop

31ltd

31ltd crop

77ltd

77ltd crop

I particularly like the way these convert to b&w - I like the grain (this is iso 800)

And for size ( K7 with 50-135*, K20d with 16-45,)

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: K7 arrival

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I was going to hold off, but got antsy and ordered one up. A few pics. Short story is much better performance than the K20 wrt AF, fps and general performance. It seems to shoot a bit hot, so I'm dialing in some negative exposure comp. Size is a bit bigger than G1, certainly smaller than K20d. Jury is out if it is too small though the grip shape is nice. My thumb is a bit big though.

The 43/1.9 is a very nice fit as is the 35ltd. Pics later.

Hmmm... looks nice. It will be interesting to hear how you get on with the camera.

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for this. As you say, the B&W grain is particularly tasty, though I don't mind the look of color shots either. How are things looking at ISO 3200? And, most important question of all, how does the 31 Ltd feel on the K-7?

Post Thanks / Like

The 31 is just a tad heavy for the size, but it is all relative. The 43 is about perfect. I was shooting with the 50-135* today and that lens rather dwarfs the body but as long as you're not trying to hold it to shoot one handed for long periods it is fine.

Any of the ltd primes is perfect with this body, especially the DA lenses as they are light. It is less squarish/bulky than the K20d (which isn't that big anyway) and performance is quite snappy. AWB is incredibly good and AF is improved over previous Pentax bodies.

Shot with the 43, cropped, indoors, backlight - terrible lighting. Minor tweaks in Aperture. It is a pretty well behaved body.

Last edited by nostatic; 11th July 2009 at 21:01.

Post Thanks / Like

Some shots of the K7 with 31ltd. K20d with 43ltd (with hood) for comparison

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for posting these K-7 with 31/1.8 shots, which make it clear that the 43/1.9 is a much more natural fit for the camera. I look forward to seeing some more K-7 pictures!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after taking a lot of shots back to back with the K20d, I finally sent the K7 back. While the K7 has more features and has better AF, AWB and fps, I found that each time I shot I'd get back and sometimes I'd prefer the K7 shot, other times the K20d. In the end the form factor is just too small for my hands, and it is more comfortable for me to carry the K20d. Plus bigger lenses (31ltd and zooms) are better balanced on the K20d.

The K7 with any of the DA ltd primes is an awesome setup, and for any Pentax user with a body prior to K20d it is a no-brainer upgrade. For those with K20d, there really isn't a bump in iq - which is fine for K7 owners because the iq on the K20d is quite good. I have learned to use the AF on the K20d so while the K7 requires less thought it isn't a night/day difference for me. And I found the video implementation to be too much work relative to either my DLux4 or a proper handycam.

So to make myself feel better I ordered a 16-50* zoom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's an interesting conclusion, and it leads me to the thought that it's possibly an ideal travel camera for myself, combined with the 15mm f/4, the 43mm f/1.9 and 70mm f/2.4 (or 77mm f/1.8... difficult choice).

Just need to dig up some monies first...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, after taking a lot of shots back to back with the K20d, I finally sent the K7 back.
    I think I saw this coming when I read your first couple of posts about the E-P1 on the Four-Thirds forum. I understand your logic in finding the K-7 too small, given that you were intending it as a K20D replacement. On the other hand, I got a shock when I saw the side-by-side shot of the K-7 and K20D and immediately realized it was way bigger (i.e. deeper) than I'd expected. I was seeing the K-7 as a small, carry-everywhere camera, which it's clearly not.

Interesting to see whether you decide to go with the E-P1. I was underwhelmed by the E-P1 and the two Olympus m4/3rds lenses when the details were released and handling it in a store a couple of days ago didn't make me any more enthusiastic.

Now I'm pinning my hopes on either Panasonic's compact m4/3rds camera + 20/1.7 pancake or the Samsung NX10, which is rumored to have a 30/1.4 prime. Either of those lenses (40mm-e and 45mm-e) would suit me perfectly. Both cameras are expected to ship in Q4 so I'll just have to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    That's an interesting conclusion, and it leads me to the thought that it's possibly an ideal travel camera for myself, combined with the 15mm f/4, the 43mm f/1.9 and 70mm f/2.4 (or 77mm f/1.8... difficult choice).
    Jorgen, the K-7 plus those lenses would indeed be a superb travel system.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's tempting. ALthough the 43mm (approximately 65mm equivalent in 35mm terms) makes for a very strange focal length, which would be of little use to me. I would rather take the 31mm. A 28mm would be ideal (40mm equiv.).

BTW, if you are looking for a small travel camera, why not an Olympus E-620 or E-30 ? Unless of course you want prime lenses, not zooms.
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bernard,
    There are no strange focal lengths The 35mm f/2.8 Macro is an alternative though.

Yes, an Olympus camera would be logical, since I have a lot of very good OM primes, but I also need something that is weather sealed, and the E-3 is so large. Nice viewfinder though. The E-620 is nice and small, but no weather sealing and the viewfinder isn't really good enough for precise manual focusing. The E-30 to me is neither fowl nor fish.

For the K-7, I would obviously have to buy a weather sealed lens as well. The 55mm f/1.4 is a strong candidate, as is the 16-50mm zoom.

Every time I go through the facts, the K-7 comes out as a more or less perfect travel companion. The Panasonic G1 or GH1 are actually the most interesting alternatives at the moment, but no weather sealing and no in-body IS (and Panasonic camera support in this country is worse than lousy). I will wait and see if Olympus comes up with a pro spec m4/3 body though. The K-7 isn't available here yet anyway, and my wallet is probably more or less empty the next couple of months

Post Thanks / Like

There are no strange focal lengths
    True But one is more or less comfortable with a given focal lens...

Every time I go through the facts, the K-7 comes out as a more or less perfect travel companion.
    True. The only thing bothering me is the movie stuff, which I don't need and which somehow "pollutes" the camera

For now, I have a D700 which I use with a bunch of prime lenses: mostly 28/2.8, Voigtlander 40/2, 105/1.8 (just bought, it's all your fault, just discovering this marvelous lens) or 85/1.8, plus sometimes the 20/2.8 and 70-300VR (or Voigtlander 180/4). I have just bought an old 28-50mm (manual) Nikkor zoom, which looks promising - my most used focal lengths being 28 and 40mm. The D700 is a little too big for my taste though.
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post

Interesting to see whether you decide to go with the E-P1. I was underwhelmed by the E-P1 and the two Olympus m4/3rds lenses when the details were released and handling it in a store a couple of days ago didn't make me any more enthusiastic.
    Hmm, I guess I'm not the only one. I was not happy with the screen blackout time on the E-P1 (seems like a less responsive camera than my DLux4), and frankly a lot of the images on the E-P1 thread just don't really thrill me. And it is a rather big and heavy camera compared to the DLux4. But there is no free lunch.

I kind of already miss the K7 as it has some very nice features. The shutter is the quietest dSLR I've ever heard. That alone is almost worth the price of admission. I also had a Km/K2000 for awhile and while it is an "entry" level camera I was surprised at the performance and iq. That is smaller than the K7 so if one is looking for a "travel cam" in dSLR it isn't a bad choice. It isn't weather sealed though...but I'm guessing that the next version of it will be. My hunch is that all Pentax dSLRs will be weather sealed (currently the Km/K2000 is the only one that isn't).

When the K7 comes down below $1K I'll likely pick another one up. With a 15/35/70 ltd setup I think you'd have a pretty amazing small system. For me it isn't an replacement for the K20d because I just didn't like the 50-135* zoom on the K7. But the 43 was awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I go through the facts, the K-7 comes out as a more or less perfect travel companion. The Panasonic G1 or GH1 are actually the most interesting alternatives at the moment, but no weather sealing and no in-body IS (and Panasonic camera support in this country is worse than lousy). I will wait and see if Olympus comes up with a pro spec m4/3 body though. The K-7 isn't available here yet anyway, and my wallet is probably more or less empty the next couple of months
    Have you played with the G1? I bought one for my g/f and I frankly do not like the EVF. The articulated LCD is nice though.

The rumor is that Pentax will be adding more "lower end" weather resistant lenses (they currently have the 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses now WR). And in the high end there is 16-50* (have one coming today), 50-135* (a truly amazing lens - really), 60-250*, 200*, 300* and 55/1.4*. But I still come back to the fact that the small DA ltd primes on the K7 are a total natural.

And the shutter. Did I mention the shutter? :P

Post Thanks / Like

For the K-7, I would obviously have to buy a weather sealed lens as well. The 55mm f/1.4 is a strong candidate, as is the 16-50mm zoom.(
    Did someone say 16-50?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bcf View Post
    Yes, that's tempting. ALthough the 43mm (approximately 65mm equivalent in 35mm terms) makes for a very strange focal length, which would be of little use to me. I would rather take the 31mm. A 28mm would be ideal (40mm equiv.).
    Aah, at last, a kindred spirit! Which is better, a 40/2 Ultron on a D700 or a 28mm lens (I have several) on a D300? I honestly can't decide, so I continue to use both. But since the 40mm/42mm focal length is close to perfection for me, if Sony release an autofocus version of the Zeiss 28/2 along with their A700 replacement, I'll be very tempted to buy one of each and sell my 28/2 ZF.

Quote Originally Posted by bcf View Post
    For now, I have a D700 which I use with a bunch of prime lenses: mostly 28/2.8, Voigtlander 40/2, 105/1.8 (just bought, it's all your fault, just discovering this marvelous lens) or 85/1.8, plus sometimes the 20/2.8 and 70-300VR (or Voigtlander 180/4). I have just bought an old 28-50mm (manual) Nikkor zoom, which looks promising - my most used focal lengths being 28 and 40mm. The D700 is a little too big for my taste though.
    28mm, 40/42mm, 58/60mm, 85/90mm are the only (full-frame equivalent) focal lengths that really appeal to me (though, like you, I have a 20/2.8 and the Voigtlander 180/4 for emergencies. Interesting that you bought an old 28-50 zoom because you use the 28mm and 40mm lenses most often. I bought a 28-45 Nikkor zoom for the same reason, though I haven't used it much.

Post Thanks / Like

Aah, at last, a kindred spirit! Which is better, a 40/2 Ultron on a D700 or a 28mm lens (I have several) on a D300? I honestly can't decide, so I continue to use both.
    Exactly. And it's funny how the D700 "feels" bigger than the D200, BTW. The K7 would be better in this respect of course.

Interesting that you bought an old 28-50 zoom because you use the 28mm and 40mm lenses most often. I bought a 28-45 Nikkor zoom for the same reason, though I haven't used it much.
    My first tries seem to indicate that the lens is sharp. I will compare it to the 28 and 40mm lenses, and to a 24-85mm zoom which is rather bad outside the center of the frame. The problem with an AI-S zoom, of course, is that the EXIF will not contain the exact focal length.
    -- Bernard

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I am late to this thread but thanks for all your info on this camera!
    I'd planned on selling both my K100d's but the buyer backed out. Reviewing my work from them, esp with the 50/1.4 FA makes me very glad I did not; that lens on this format is awesome for informal portraiture. Pentax does primes so very well, don't they?
    Anyway, the K7 looks lovely, and your confirming how quiet the shutter is is really helpful.
    Saving and waiting for any price drops now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I finally had the chance to try the K-7 today. The boxes arrived at the shop while I was there. The camera is everything I thought it would be; compact, light, feels solid, excellent ergonomics, great viewfinder.

I also tried it with the new 55mm f/1.4. I'm sure it's a great lens for portraits, but the AF is really slow. I have to sit on the fence for a while anyway, but this is a camera that could live with

Post Thanks / Like

also tried it with the new 55mm f/1.4. I'm sure it's a great lens for portraits, but the AF is really slow.
    Have you read the test of the lens at dpreview? Not very positive to say the least...

I have also handled the camera in a shop. Perfect for my hands, much better than my D700. At first I was really seduced.

But I keep reading of poor QC, bad samples etc.

And the image quality remains to be seen. I am waiting for more tests. I hope the pics will be really usable up to 1600 ISO.
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are reports about poor image quality from any camera on the market. The K-7 is no exception.

I've seen some excellent photos taken with the K-7, so it's apparently possible. That's what I need to know. Should I decide to buy this, it will be with some Limiteds anyway. A big lens like the 55mm doesn't really suit my needs for a compact travel camera. The exception might be the 50-135mm f/2.8. Excellent image quality, reasonable price and compact size considering what it does.

Post Thanks / Like

The 55* has gotten mixed "official" reviews but there are plenty of real users who are happy. The SDM focus is not the fastest though - the screw drive on the older lenses is faster.

The 50-135* is an amazing lens. I don't like zooms, but that lens is one of the reasons I still own Pentax. The other reasons are 31/1.8, 43/1.9 and 77/1.8

As for hi iso, it really depends on the individual. It is about the same as the K20d which I find to be perfectly acceptable at iso 1600. And this is with 24x36 prints. The measurebators will never be satisfied, and the K7 has gotten a bad rap because it didn't "improve" the iq of the K20d. The reality is that the iq of the K20d is as good or better than any other APS-C camera. The K7 was a focus on improved AF, better AWB, smaller size and video. If you want a good, small, APS-C weather sealed body, the K7 is almost impossible to beat.

I miss my K7, but if I get another one I will get some DA ltd primes to put on it. The K7 with 15/4, 40/2.8, and 70/2.4 would be hard to beat as a small travel setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I miss my K7, but if I get another one I will get some DA ltd primes to put on it. The K7 with 15/4, 40/2.8, and 70/2.4 would be hard to beat as a small travel setup.
    Exactly my thought, except I would choose the 43/1.9. That extra stop can be rather useful, and it's a very compact lens as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The K7 with 15/4, 40/2.8, and 70/2.4 would be hard to beat as a small travel setup.
    I quite agree!

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a good Pentax 28mm f/2 or f/2.8 AF lens? 40-43mm is too long for me, I almost never use a 60mm equivalent focal length. Even the 31/1.8 is too long: it gives a 47mm or so in 35mm terms - I would like a 40mm equivalent.

-- Bernard
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

Can you live with manual focus? If so then Zeiss zf glass can be had for Pentax.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you live with manual focus? If so then Zeiss zf glass can be had for Pentax.
    I would prefer AF, my eyes not being what they were...
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

*sigh* I'm close to selling the E-P1 and getting a K7 to go along with (rather than replace) the K20d. I actually really like the E-P1 images a lot, but the size/shape is not quite a p&s, not quite a dSLR. Since I can't pocket the E-P1, I figure I might as well use the K7 and one or two primes as a street/travel setup (15 and 70 unless the 77 looks better on the replacement K7, I already have the 43). The shutter on the K7 is quieter than the E-P1 as well. I'll keep the K20d for using weather-sealed zooms. Or I'll sell it all and get a Holga.

Bah! I hate being OCD...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

*sigh* I'm close to selling the E-P1 and getting a K7 to go along with (rather than replace) the K20d. I actually really like the E-P1 images a lot, but the size/shape is not quite a p&s, not quite a dSLR. Since I can't pocket the E-P1, I figure I might as well use the K7 and one or two primes as a street/travel setup (15 and 70 unless the 77 looks better on the replacement K7, I already have the 43). The shutter on the K7 is quieter than the E-P1 as well. I'll keep the K20d for using weather-sealed zooms. Or I'll sell it all and get a Holga.

Bah! I hate being OCD...
    LOL join the club! Actually knowing the K7 is quieter than the EP-1 is of great interest....

wbrandsma

I tried the K7 today with the very small DA 40mm limited lens. And I was totally impressed with how the camera handled and how quiet the shutter was. And as small sensor camera user with mostly 28 and 35mm focal lengths it was a real challenge to try a completely different focal length. It made all perfect sense to me.

Here some photographs from a former shipyard in Amsterdam which is transformed in a giant artists workshop.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, Wouter! You adapted quickly to that FOV it seems.

thinkfloyd

I'm thinking of getting the K-7 as well, but I really have no use for video. I'm waiting for the K-m replacement, if it's weathersealed, I'm sold, if not, I hope by then the K-7 drops in price. Though I'm on the fence selling my DA* 16-50 and 50-135 and get me them limiteds instead. The 16-50 is too versatile, the 50-135, too great a performer... I loaned my two zooms in exchange for a 31ltd, 43ltd and FA*85/1.4... and boy, did I fall in love with the 31 and 85!!! It's hard being a struggling artist...

coolfotog

Quote Originally Posted by thinkfloyd View Post
    I'm thinking of getting the K-7 as well, but I really have no use for video. I'm waiting for the K-m replacement, if it's weathersealed, I'm sold, if not, I hope by then the K-7 drops in price. Though I'm on the fence selling my DA* 16-50 and 50-135 and get me them limiteds instead. The 16-50 is too versatile, the 50-135, too great a performer... I loaned my two zooms in exchange for a 31ltd, 43ltd and FA*85/1.4... and boy, did I fall in love with the 31 and 85!!! It's hard being a struggling artist...
    struggling artist? buy a 1966 mustang coupe instead. i'll sell you one and throw in an 85.

thinkfloyd

sell it to me for the same price as the one offered me, and you've got yourself a deal

Post Thanks / Like

The Kx (Km replacement) is supposed to be announced tomorrow (or today in Japan - depends on your time zone). Rumors are no weather sealing but a bunch of other nice features. I sold all my Pentax gear and bought a 5D2, 24-105, 70-200/4 and 50/1.4 setup. I also sold the E-P1 so I need a small cam for street and light travel. Was thinking GF-1, as K7 w/40 would be a fair chunk of money. Kx w/40 might be viable though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A blue one with a silver 43mm?

And a red with the 15mm...

The specs look surprisingly good. Will probably be a very handy camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I'm thinking black with 40/2.8 pancake. Rumored price is $649 with the 18-55 kit lens.

meilicke

I like all of the space for your thumb on the Kx pictures. That is my biggest gripe with smaller cameras - how to hold them!

Scott

thinkfloyd

@nostatic: really? You sold it all after getting a K-7? I'd love to do the same, but then, a 5DmkII is too expensive... really disappointed with the K-x, wanted WS so bad. Oh well. Guess I'll have to wait more and stick with my K100 til it dies on me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@nostatic: really? You sold it all after getting a K-7? I'd love to do the same, but then, a 5DmkII is too expensive... really disappointed with the K-x, wanted WS so bad. Oh well. Guess I'll have to wait more and stick with my K100 til it dies on me...
    The rumour is one more camera this year. K300? K3.5?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yet another stellar K-7 report. It seems to be a camera that it's hard not to like...

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pentax/k7-review

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

A not so favorable review from LL
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...k7-hands.shtml

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    When reading that, I get the impression that he wasn't really interested, and why would he be interested in a small DSLR. He has an M9...