Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Testing out a Pentax K5

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Testing out a Pentax K5

Peter you ask about the AF.
    I am not totally sure yet. It works fine but I would say it is not allways 100% as accurate as that of my D700.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    K5 with 50-135 at f2.8 2500 ISO:
    Lovely shot Tom . . . . do I detect that "is that another new lens" look I'm so familiar with

I'm with you on the AF - it's not nearly as sophisticated as Nikon's AF, but using it on single point it's doing quite well, even in low light.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ja, Jono. I admit...but now this should be a pretty complete set (as long as I dont need more reach )
    I am experimenting with AF fine adjustment. not so easy but ti seems I need to choose +3 for some lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter you ask about the AF.
    I am not totally sure yet. It works fine but I would say it is not allways 100% as accurate as that of my D700.
    I am pretty sure that the AF of the D700 is better - question is how much better.

WRT the D7000 I have meanwhile found in ALL reviews that they say that the AF is excellent, but only in good light. I light gets worse then it is hunting. So obviously not on par with the D700.

What that means is that I am still very much interested in the K5 and actually looking for arguments to buy one (and not the D7000)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K5 with 50-135 at f2.8 2500 ISO:
    Thomas -
    One thing strikes me in this shot and it goes back to M8 days. What color is your wife's shirt? Is it a pure black or something else....if black it is almost looking like the IR from the M8.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Thomas -
    One thing strikes me in this shot and it goes back to M8 days. What color is your wife's shirt? Is it a pure black or something else....if black it is almost looking like the IR from the M8.
    its not pure black-its more washed out brownish with a slight violett cast.
    However I admit it comes out slightly more violett than in reality. slightly. But the skin is also a little on the purple/magenta side so I dont believe its a IR problem. I will keep an eye on it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I am pretty sure that the AF of the D700 is better - question is how much better.

WRT the D7000 I have meanwhile found in ALL reviews that they say that the AF is excellent, but only in good light. I light gets worse then it is hunting. So obviously not on par with the D700.

What that means is that I am still very much interested in the K5 and actually looking for arguments to buy one (and not the D7000)
    I think we should make a difference between several factors:
    1) AF speed until it has locked on a still subject, in either good or bad light. I find the K5 does pretty fine in this area.
    2) AF accurancy when shooting still. I feel the K5 is fine but not exceptional here. The D700 (and also other Nikons I had) are like 99% spot on. Sometimes the K5 seems to be very slightly off.
    3) AF tracking with one sensor (center for example). Cant tell yet.
    4) AF tracking when the subject goes from one sensor to another etc. Works on the D700 but IMO the sensor of the K5 or too few so that it does not make sense with the K5.

WHichever DSLR I check out I allways realize how great the D700 works. The K5 can definatly not replace it. However the weight difference when using comparable lenses is big. I am sure there are times when one would bring the K5 but not the D700.

But then if I had to shoot something where I had to rely 100% on the camera I would just prefer the D700, faster, totally reliable AF, great metering, bigger viewfinder.

Looking at images from the x1, D700 and K5 I also still have the feeling that 12MP is the better pixel density than 16MP.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking at images from the x1, D700 and K5 I also still have the feeling that 12MP is the better pixel density than 16MP.
    I had to do two wedding books together recently. One was shot with the A900, the other with the D700. Apart from the difference in high ISO, the A900 wedding was shot in much worse light (rainy October).

What was the really big surprise was that when it came down to producing a coffee table sized book, the extra pixels of the A900 more than made up for the better high ISO of the Nikon - and also allowed cropping where necessary.

Before this exercise I had assumed that I was making a compromise by swapping from Nikon to Sony - i.e. Sony better for landscape but D700 for weddings.

I know this doesn't seem relevant to the D700 / Pentax argument, but I think it is relevant that what is clearly 'better' in terms of performance may not be so good in reality.

I suspect that what's at issue here is that one really does tend to make these judgements by looking at images on screen at 100%. In which circumstances of course the D700 'big pixels' are going to look better . . . . . . but of course they represent a much larger portion of the image. This is also the case with the K5 (although to a lesser extent).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

one more.K5 with 35da Macro:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thomas -this shot is stunning I hope you print and display it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thomas, Jono,

I think all the shots from the K5 I have seen so far are stunning. Very subtile colors, very sharp (so AF seems to work at least in most situations) and very good detail as far as one can tell from Internet published photos.

Cheers

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tom - Quite agree with Terry - that shot of your little girl is really grand.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Getting ready for dinner

all with the 35 macro f2.8 auto ISO

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Grab shots in dodgy lighting - again, all with the 35 f2.8 macro

1250 ISO

2500 ISO

4000 ISO

1250 ISO

The camera was at f2.8 Aperture Priority, and Auto ISO

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Thomas -this shot is stunning I hope you print and display it.
    Hi Terry,
    thank you for your comment.
    I have had an idea - to print about one image a week at 20x30cm and put it in a large album as a memory. just to keep the best moment/image/feeling of the week in memory. (too many images are just staying on my harddrive without any attention) So this one has been the first image in this poster album.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry,
    thank you for your comment.
    I have had an idea - to print about one image a week at 20x30cm and put it in a large album as a memory. just to keep the best moment/image/feeling of the week in memory. (too many images are just staying on my harddrive without any attention) So this one has been the first image in this poster album.
    HI Tom
    I can't recommend Blurb enough for this - it gets you to really look at your images, think about selection, added to which it's great fun getting a book through the post, and then friends and relatives can have copies too.

I started doing them for wedding albums, but find myself doing more and more of them for friends or for fun. Here are a couple of general ones I've done:

Agios Stefanos
    (this one was to say thank you for the loan of a cottage at the village

testing the M9

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Getting ready for dinner

all with the 35 macro f2.8 auto ISO
    Hi Jono,
    I really do like to color and tones from those images. The 35 turns out to be a real flexible lens with just the right compromise between size/speed/sharpness and nice bokeh. Originally I had intended to go for the 40DR but then this guy offered me his (used) 35da Macro so I tried it and liked it. Now I am really happy with the choice. Of the lenses I own now (15,21,35,70 and 50-135) its the one which seems to allways deliever fine IQ.

photogerald

I think this is a good decision. D700 can be beaten by small number of cameras if it comes to functionality, IQ and AF speed. Downsides as we know are weight etc.

Did the following exercise:

D700, 24-40, 70-200 results in 3.5kg

D7000, 16-85, 55-300 all VRII results in 2kg

K5, 16-50, 50-135 results in 2.5kg

So clear winner here is a D7000 set although you do not get 2.8 but instead full VRII support, whereas the K5 has built in IS. From a price point the D7000 set is also the clear winner.

Of course one also can get the 2.8/17-55 Nikkor, which is faster, but then you do not have any IS. So I would prefer clearly the IS (called VRII). And I would have all my 2.8 FF glass to be used with the D7000 anyway if I really need or want that.
    I realize you are trying to make best use of your existing Nikon glass with this comparison, but for someone who is starting from scratch a better analogy to your D7000 kit would be the following:

K-5, DA17-70 (constant f4), DA55-300 (f4.0-5.6)

This will shave close to 400g off the weight of the K-5 kit that you listed above. If one really desires having 16mm, and can live without the overlap between the two lenses, then substitute the DA16-45/4 (which is an excellent lens for the money, btw) for the DA17-70.

photogerald

Hi Tom - Quite agree with Terry - that shot of your little girl is really grand.
    And what is amazing (to me at least) is that according to the EXIF it was shot at ISO3200.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photogerald View Post
    And what is amazing (to me at least) is that according to the EXIF it was shot at ISO3200.
    You sound like a man who doesn't have a K5 yet!
    the high ISO really is splendid, it's not so much the noise (or lack of it) but the colour, which seems to stay good right up to 6400 (I haven't tried 12800 because I really don't seem to need it )

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

the high ISO really is splendid, it's not so much the noise (or lack of it) but the colour, which seems to stay good right up to 6400 (I haven't tried 12800 because I really don't seem to need it )

all the best
    I agree.
    I also switched NR to "0" when I converted this image from DNG to JPG in LR3

The image printed in DIN A4 size looks as good as on screen by the way-so not only when downsized for web.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading this thread is not healthy for me at all... right now...

I am mulling a system switch and it's pricey. Would have to dump a bunch of lenses. Still looking for what are the really good Pentax lenses for this system.

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Reading this thread is not healthy for me at all... right now...

I am mulling a system switch and it's pricey. Would have to dump a bunch of lenses. Still looking for what are the really good Pentax lenses for this system.

- Raist
    Hi There Raist
    How on earth are you?
    Welcome to the monkey house.
    The lens selection is not a simple one, but there do seem to be some decent lenses.
    From whence are you contemplating the switch?

all the best
    Jono

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

You know I swear I have seen you somewhere else... and even talked to you at some point... maybe fate wanted us to cross again :-)

So, well... who else could it be :-) Olympus 4/3rds :-)

Basically the K-5 looks like the "pro spec e-410/420/620" that I wanted Olympus to do a long time ago. Ill have to admit being a JPEG shooter I will miss that Olympus JPEG engine but playing briefly with the K-5 showed me there's a lot of tweaks even with the "art" filters to play with on the Pentax and I can probably get something nice that I like.

In short I am looking for a camera with:

- higher class AF (e-3/e-5 class)- the e-620 / 420 combo made me mad recently when shooting my 5th wedding in nasty fluorescent somewhat low light.
    - small
    - pro specced
    - quiet (what a pleasant surprise was to hear the K-5 shutter)
    - excellent ergonomics (K-5 is great. I can see why people call it a successor to the E-1)
    - with a modern sensor/"canvas"- I am very impressed the K-5 seems to have the Dynamic range in the class of the old Fuji S5 Pro SR!

Right now I am a bit split on a GH2 and this. The GH2 can use my Olympus lenses but not sure how fast it can AF them. But I know the GH2 can AF very very *very* fast with its own. Also the GH2 is even smaller, but not weather sealed and may look a bit toyish plus the battery life is not that good.

I would expect the GH2 to produce more detail than the Pentax given Panasonic history of weak AA filters on their sensors, but the Pentax sure will have better noise/DR.

- Raist

Update: as to how am I, I am doing good overall. Still love photography and I think I have improved quite a bit (oh and I am trying to be super humble when I say this! haha joking).

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I forgot: basically I have resigned myself to need a low end camera and a high end camera. The low end for my part of my real work which is street life and other things like that that I love so much carrying a camera with me 100% of the time. Right now this is being done with the LX5, and to some extent the Sigma DP2 (still love the Sigma but in lower light and overall focal lens versatility, the LX5 does better).

So if I can get a top tier camera that can work at least for many situations also as a street life camera (looks like the K-5 is it), that's even more bonus points.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jonoslack;267543]Oh Well
    I think it's all angels dancing on the heads of pins . . . all this stuff works properly these days. . . . . maybe it's just what one likes that matters?

Here are a couple of shots I liked with the K5. both are at 6400 ISO

the first one is with the 60-250 220mm 1/125th f4

[]

That was ISO 6400? ... that was... ISO 6400? ... that was.... umm....

Do you have them full size somewhere? (or just a 100% crop)

Thanks

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh Well
    I think it's all angels dancing on the heads of pins . . . all this stuff works properly these days. . . . . maybe it's just what one likes that matters?

Here are a couple of shots I liked with the K5. both are at 6400 ISO

the first one is with the 60-250 220mm 1/125th f4
    That was ISO 6400? ... that was... ISO 6400? ... that was.... umm....

Do you have them full size somewhere? (or just a 100% crop)

Thanks

- Raist
    HI There Raist
    I've PM'd you, Glad you've nearly forgotten me too
    I think it must have been dpreview in the good old Olympus forum?

anyway I'll happily send you some DNG files.

Just tell me what you'd like.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Folks,

I am coming finally into the club

Ordered today a K5 with DA 18-55mm WR which was offered as kit at Amazon with 150.- rebate. So this gives the lens for free and I can test the K5.

Looking forward to receive delivery within the next 3-4 business days.

All the great discussions about the K5 and the rebate finally pulled the trigger for me. And as soon as I have the package I will see if I will buy other lenses and which ones - I am almost sure thsi will happen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any Ideas re the Stain on the Shroud Issues?

There are a few discussions on other websites about the stain on the center of the sensor. I wonder whether this is real or someone trying to create doubt about buying Pentax:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37101214

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Any Ideas re the Stain on the Shroud Issues?

Quote Originally Posted by clark666 View Post
    There are a few discussions on other websites about the stain on the center of the sensor. I wonder whether this is real or someone trying to create doubt about buying Pentax:

HI There
    I think it's real - checked mine, and there's a couple of dust bunnies (3), but no 'stain'.

What's less clear, is whether it's something which would show up on a real photograph.

However, those who've complained to Pentax seem to have gained 'satisfaction'.

Not many cameras which haven't had some kind of issue, and IMHO it's about whether the manufacturer actually deals with it promptly or not - it seems that Pentax are dealing with it.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

So after looking long and wide...

Here's what I have noticed, compared in particular to where I am "coming from" which is Olympus 4/3rds

- Pentax k-5 has great tones, very deep dark to very nice whites. Less burn.
    - Some shots I have seen have superb gradation.
    - bags of DR

--- On the other hand:

I am finding some trouble finding color shots that really "wow" me- as in image jumps out and the colors are kind of "together" as part of the shot, not like a red jumping all at you bordering on some magenta/pastel.

I find Olympus seems to "get this "consistently more.

Also the lenses I find more or apparent more distortion in what I am seeing on the Pentax- but I am not seeing shots with their very top glass so I am not sure.

This is just a general assesment. I have found a few shots that show pretty good Pentax color output... I just wonder ... because I am seeing a certain consistent color profile JPEG or RAW/DNG...

This is incredibly hard to explain and convey but maybe I can try to convey this with one shot I took on my 420 + F2. 50mm lens:

Does this make sense? I am not trying to start a this vs that. I really like the K-5 in many areas already. The ergonomics are truly enticing as is the size + quiet shutter + weather seal + pancakes.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a Pentax K-5 shot that shows more of that "presence" I am talking about:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtt92/5...n/photostream/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtt92/5...n/photostream/

I think this is most likely the lens. Any shots with the DA* Gold upper range zoom or primes? Maybe I missed it.

Thanks

- Raist

photogerald

all the best
    You are right - I am still shooting with a K20D. But I do plan to upgrade to the K-5 next spring. I have looked at plenty of high-ISO images from the K-5, but it still amazes me!

photogerald

I agree.
    I also switched NR to "0" when I converted this image from DNG to JPG in LR3

The image printed in DIN A4 size looks as good as on screen by the way-so not only when downsized for web.
    In fact, it was the faint trace of noise in the hair that made me curious and check the EXIF info. I agree with Jono - it's not the lack of noise that is most impressive, but the integrity of the colours (especially the skin tones).

photogerald

Folks,

I am coming finally into the club

Ordered today a K5 with DA 18-55mm WR which was offered as kit at Amazon with 150.- rebate. So this gives the lens for free and I can test the K5.

Looking forward to receive delivery within the next 3-4 business days.

All the great discussions about the K5 and the rebate finally pulled the trigger for me. And as soon as I have the package I will see if I will buy other lenses and which ones - I am almost sure thsi will happen
    I'm not sure if I should send my congratulations or if I should apologize. In any case, I hope it works out for you.

photogerald

Re: Any Ideas re the Stain on the Shroud Issues?

Quote Originally Posted by clark666 View Post

Knowing some of the folks who are reporting problems, this is most definitely real. But the issue is not as serious as it sounds. Of course, if I'd just spent $1600 on a new body I'd be complaining too. And fortunately, Pentax and their retailers are dealing with the matter appropriately.

photogerald

Re: So after looking long and wide...

--- On the other hand:

I am finding some trouble finding color shots that really "wow" me- as in image jumps out and the colors are kind of "together" as part of the shot, not like a red jumping all at you bordering on some magenta/pastel.

I find Olympus seems to "get this "consistently more.
    Is this assessment based on the images from your Olympus at default camera settings, or after PP?

This is incredibly hard to explain and convey but maybe I can try to convey this with one shot I took on my 420 + F2. 50mm lens:
    I'm not sure I quite get what you're saying, though I will say that the lens can make a big difference. I'll include some photos taken with my K20D which I feel have good colour and perhaps you could tell me if you see any "wow" here.

By the way, these are all either in-camera JPGs or were processed from RAW using default settings. The Pentax RAW converter (which is based on Silkypix) gives the same colours as in-camera JPGs. There is no additional PP, not even WB correction (camera was set to auto WB).

These first four were taken with the A*135/1.8 (my favourite lens):

The WB is a bit off on this next one - those pear blossoms should be whiter

This one was taken at f1.8 and ISO800 in crappy flourescent lighting - I didn't expect the auto WB to do as well as it did

This last one was taken with the Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX @ 200mm (original version, non-DG, non-macro, non-HSM)

How do these look?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photogerald View Post
    Is this assessment based on the images from your Olympus at default camera settings, or after PP?
    Sort of both. I normally don't do post processing, but mainly out of camera with different JPEG settings images just come out with great color. I do believe you are right when you say the lenses, yes, lens matters for sure for that contrast/sharpness and seems like Olympus got that nailed down.

I'm not sure I quite get what you're saying, though I will say that the lens can make a big difference. I'll include some photos taken with my K20D which I feel have good colour and perhaps you could tell me if you see any "wow" here.
    No doubt, yeah, a lot of it has to be the lens.

By the way, these are all either in-camera JPGs or were processed from RAW using default settings. The Pentax RAW converter (which is based on Silkypix) gives the same colours as in-camera JPGs. There is no additional PP, not even WB correction (camera was set to auto WB).
    Ok, much much appreciated.

[]

[/quote]
    How do these look?[/QUOTE]

MUUUUUCH better. They have that "crisp 'here' presence" that I felt many of the other shots in a way were lacking (though Jono's DA 77 Limited shot of the Kid's portrait 'has it'). The color is much better too, though one color keeps bugging me:

It's that red/pink/magenta set of colors. Reds tend to be affected by sky reflections and tend to go magentaish (talking in general now, but looking at the colored hat, there's some colors there around the pink that seem a tad off somehow). If the hat was truly that way then fine.

The flower shot as far as "presence" looks great. There still seems to have a hair of greenish cast (I have noticed this btw on many Pentax shots).

The shot of the kid holding the toy camera- the skin color seems a bit "Nikon brown" to me and the red seems to have this "dirty red" aspect to it which isn't quite right- but if this was tungsten light it's understandable. Though I will say I have seen this set of colors I told you more often than not with the Pentax. It's almost like in some colors it's a Panasonic variant (though it does better than Panasonic usually does).

But as far as "crisp presence" most of these shots "have it", this is what i was talking about. So where's that A* Pentax lens? Is that a film legacy lens?

If you are ok with this, could you send me one DNG/RAW file to play with- just a snap, not a masterpiece. Something with colors/contrast/light range like the purple flower or that hat, etc. If you can't / don't have time/ whatever I understand and I give you thanks for showing me these...

For the record, I do like Jono's also, but I kept noticing some colors seemed a bit odd to me.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I was able to tweak some of the jpegs to match more the color I would like to see (flower & shot with hat). This is looking promising. Ah man system switch = $$$ :-) But then E-5 = $$$.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and Jono, thanks.. you are making me lose some sleep :-P :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Question for Jono and other Pentax shooters:

If I was pull the trigger I am thinking the following lenses:

- WR kit lens just to have something weather sealed and a starter standard telephoto. Eventually I would have to get whatever decent standard telephoto exists, and if that means the DA* Gold one, so be it (how's that one btw? Anyone knows? STAR 16-50MM F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM)

- DA 70 F2.4 Limited (I find a bit of a bummer this can't also be a macro lens, ah well)
    - Completely split between the DA 15mm F4 limited vs the 21mm F3.2 Limited.

Seems like the 21mm (* 1.5 = 31.5mm equiv) is closer to a normal standard street life lens. I don't see myself ever getting the F2.8 40mm DA Limited- too much of a "standard" view...

- Raist

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

he kit zoom is soft IMO and I can not recommend it.
    The 70 works very good for me.
    Regarding 15 vs 21 - The 21 is faster, is better in the corners and shows less vignetting.
    I own both but if I had to decide for just one I would prefer the 21.
    I also find 21-70 a quite flexible combo.

Question for Jono and other Pentax shooters:

If I was pull the trigger I am thinking the following lenses:

- WR kit lens just to have something weather sealed and a starter standard telephoto. Eventually I would have to get whatever decent standard telephoto exists, and if that means the DA* Gold one, so be it (how's that one btw? Anyone knows? STAR 16-50MM F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM)

- DA 70 F2.4 Limited (I find a bit of a bummer this can't also be a macro lens, ah well)
    - Completely split between the DA 15mm F4 limited vs the 21mm F3.2 Limited.

Seems like the 21mm (* 1.5 = 31.5mm equiv) is closer to a normal standard street life lens. I don't see myself ever getting the F2.8 40mm DA Limited- too much of a "standard" view...

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

(though Jono's DA 77 Limited shot of the Kid's portrait 'has it').
    HI Ricardo
    I love taking credit, but don't have the DA77 limited so I think that may have been Thomas's shot.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

@ Raist

Maybe I did understand something wrong in your posts, but I understand you are most times using JPEG out of camera?

In this case you loose most of the capabilities of great DSLRs today. And actually then you do not need a DSLR, there are very good bridge & P&S cameras around which can do at least as good JPEGs as DSLRs.

Comparing colors from camera JPEG output - well this is not something serious - sorry.

Ever tried a decent post processing workflow - whatever you like - Aperture, Lightroom, Capture One etc ????

PS: I actually hope I am wrong with my assumptions ....

Post Thanks / Like

he kit zoom is soft IMO and I can not recommend it.
    The 70 works very good for me.
    Regarding 15 vs 21 - The 21 is faster, is better in the corners and shows less vignetting.
    I own both but if I had to decide for just one I would prefer the 21.
    I also find 21-70 a quite flexible combo.
    Thomas,

what do you call the kit zoom? Was it the

SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR ???

This is actually a newly designed lens and described as very sharp in lot of reviews. I will get it with my K5 anyway, so I will be able to let you all know my findings.

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@ Raist

Maybe I did understand something wrong in your posts, but I understand you are most times using JPEG out of camera?

In this case you loose most of the capabilities of great DSLRs today. And actually then you do not need a DSLR, there are very good bridge & P&S cameras around which can do at least as good JPEGs as DSLRs.

Comparing colors from camera JPEG output - well this is not something serious - sorry.

Ever tried a decent post processing workflow - whatever you like - Aperture, Lightroom, Capture One etc ????

PS: I actually hope I am wrong with my assumptions ....
    Peter
    RAW is not a religion - there are plenty of good reasons to shoot JPG - I don't often do it myself, but there are lots of people (Raist included) who use the jpg settings in camera very skilfully to get exactly the results they want straight out of the camera without needing to do lots of post processing.

Comparing colours from camera jpg outfit can be very serious - lots of cameras have excellent jpg engines - if you are good enough to be sure of getting white balance / exposure / contrast / saturation right first time, why on earth would you want to rely on the vagaries of a RAW processing program to mess it up?

Conventional wisdom is a dangerous thing.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thomas,

what do you call the kit zoom? Was it the

SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR ???

This is actually a newly designed lens and described as very sharp in lot of reviews. I will get it with my K5 anyway, so I will be able to let you all know my findings.

Peter
    Hi Peter
    Well, of course Thomas and I are not a statistical sample, and I agree there are some good reviews of this lens, but both Thomas and I found the 18-55 to be pretty uninspiring. Maybe we were unlucky with our samples?

On the other hand, I don't generally believe in magic, and a 28-80 equivalent lens for 100 which is really good seems to me to amount to magic!

Actually, I don't believe in a good quality 18-135 lens for 500 either!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... Comparing colours from camera jpg outfit can be very serious - lots of cameras have excellent jpg engines - if you are good enough to be sure of getting white balance / exposure / contrast / saturation right first time, why on earth would you want to rely on the vagaries of a RAW processing program to mess it up? ...
    I rather think that there are more vagaries of an in-camera JPEG processing engine with its rather coarse control settings than of a sophisticated raw processing application running on a computer a thousand (or more!) times more powerful.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I rather think that there are more vagaries of an in-camera JPEG processing engine with its rather coarse control settings than of a sophisticated raw processing application running on a computer a thousand (or more!) times more powerful.
    HI Godfrey
    Well - a good jpg engine is designed around the sensor and the firmware, not something that Adobe / Phase / Apple do. Careful control of the settings together with experience can produce great results, sometimes ones not easy to reproduce with 3rd party RAW programs.

I always shoot RAW, but I recognise that lots of others don't, and produce splendid photographs - each to his own.

However, I rather dislike the snobbery which goes with the 'I always shoot RAW' philosophy - Don't you?
    Last edited by jonoslack; 9th December 2010 at 14:34.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are two sides to using RAW vs jpeg. The visual quality of the jpeg can vary, and as Jono points out, there are some good in-camera solutions, Fuji and Olympus to mention two that I have been very happy with. From a purely visual point of view, I sometimes have to work hard to equal the qualities that they get out of a photo.

The other side is purely technical: resolution, white balance, colour balance and general rendering of details. A compressed jpeg, and out of the camera they are often not even the highest quality possible, is not an optimal starting point for large prints. Add to that the adjustment possibilities one loses when not having access to the RAW file, and the choice is rather easy for me, but this is very individual. People have different needs.