The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Testing out a Pentax K5

jonoslack

It's been real 'new camera' weather this weekend, dark and grey and dripping

this was taken with the DA 16-50 at f2.8 1/125th at 640 ISO - no big deal.

I've also done a 100% crop:

jonoslack

Some more 'drab weather' shots - these should probably be black and white, but I think it's interesting to see how the camera has managed in such dreadful light:

These were all taken with the DA 16-50*

. . . and then it got dark!

Terry

Jono - love the barbed wire with the "web".....you can just barely make out the trees in the background which makes it superb.

jonoslack

Here are a couple from the Kitchen

Membrillo (quince cheese) and Manchego
Pentax DA 35 macro 320 ISO

Pentax DA 35 macro 1250 f2.8 ISO

Berries
Pentax DA 35 macro f2.8 1000 ISO

Pellegrino Bottle
Pentax DA 35 macro f2.8 3200 ISO

again, no noise reduction in post.

jonoslack

looks good!
How you feel aout the 16-50 so far?
I'm finding it hard to believe why I didn't like it much before. It seems great (sharp, full of character, reasonably sized). Maybe my expectations are a little more realistic this time around.

Jono - love the barbed wire with the "web".....you can just barely make out the trees in the background which makes it superb.
Thank you Terry!

Diane B

I was just about to say the same so I'll do a +1 on that.

The shot of Caspar just made me laugh. For anyone with dogs with longer coats that like water we know what a foul smell they can end up with and the only possible solutions if you share your household with them LOL.

Last edited:

clay stewart

Nice images Jono.:thumbs: I really like the skin tones and bokeh with that Zeiss. How hard is the manual focusing with the Zeiss/Pentax combo?

jonoslack

I was just about to say the same so I'll do a +1 on that.
Ah - the barbed wire shot. I can honestly say that I was thinking of one of your shots when I took that (plagiarism is the highest form of flattery!). Trouble is I don't think mine is as good as yours!

The shot of Caspar just made me laugh. For anyone with dogs with longer coats that like water we know what a foul smell they can end up with and the only possible solutions if you share your household with them LOL.
:ROTFL: Yes indeed - it's rolling that we dread though, there's nothing quite like a dog that's just rolled in fox muck - there are a number of clean(ish) ponds around us, where they don't end up smelling too bad. Caspar loves the fen - there's great areas where the water is about 6" deep - he just runs flat out through it, great to watch (hard to photograph).

jonoslack

I love the wet dog photo. The whole "drab weather" series is terrific.
HI Amin
Thank you. The reason for posting them is that whereas new cameras and drab weather seem to be inevitable companions, this time (not so commonly) it doesn't seem to have added up to drab photos - the Pentax files seem to have lovely open shadows, and shooting people against a drab grey sky is not something the ever worked for me before.
The difference between this camera and the K7 is so small in some respects . . . and so huge in others!

jonoslack

Nice images Jono.:thumbs: I really like the skin tones and bokeh with that Zeiss. How hard is the manual focusing with the Zeiss/Pentax combo?
HI Clay
Thanks - Manual focusing at f1.4 is always hard, but it doesn't seem any worse with this lens. I tend to do it by instinct - as I do with the M9 when I don't have my lenses in!

I'd say it was fine, but I'm not sure whether it wouldn't have been better to simply get hold of the Pentax 55 f1.4, which has the advantage of weather sealing and autofocus.

all the best

jonoslack

Looks like the 35 macro is your walk around per say.
Hi there
I'm not sure - that was certainly the idea of it, but I'm finding the 16-50 DA very enticing - this time I seem to have one which is sharp to the corners, and it focuses very close as well (and of course, it's f2.8 too). It's also weathersealed (unlike the 35 macro) - but of course it's much bigger as well.
I think there will be different uses for each of these.
all the best

Paratom

Update: I have picked up a 16-50 which I could check out until wednesday. I did some brief comparison shots with the kit lens and the 16-50, and the images do look better, specially at the longer end of the zoom range (50mm). However I still see a certain overall softness.

Since I did those freehand I start to wonder if 16MP on a DX sensor just more prone to shake. I have to check with a tripod. by the way should I switch the in camera IS off or on if I use it on a tripod?

I also have to make sure another time that it is not slight missfocus.

Another customer of the local photo store plans to sell some Pentax primes (21/35macro/70) so I will have a chance to also check those out and might end up with those/one or two of those.

I like the feel and the small but robust lenses and body so much that I really want to make it work. We will see.

Jono- have you by any chance shot any direct comparison images with your A900 or with the A55 and looked at them at pixel level? Do you see any indications of a certain softness in your K5 images?

jonoslack

I like the feel and the small but robust lenses and body so much that I really want to make it work. We will see.

Jono- have you by any chance shot any direct comparison images with your A900 or with the A55 and looked at them at pixel level? Do you see any indications of a certain softness in your K5 images?
HI Tom
I haven't done a comparison yet, I will give it a go when I get a chance (but this week is looking unlikely, and I'm off next weekend where I can't really take more than one camera).

However - I think it's fairly clear that the K5 has a slightly stronger AA filter than the A900, not sure about the A55.

Personally I'd rather there was no AA filter at all, but certainly I'm not finding that properly focused files are seriously soft (and they will take a little sharpening).

I also want to test out the focusing and make adjustments if necessary - I think my 16-50 seems to be backfocusing very slightly.

Let's face it, the Images at base ISO are unlikely to be very competitive with the A900.

I do like the look of the images though.

all the best

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jono,
Can you please tell me when you find a serious problem with this camera, so that I can take the wallet out of that secure place again... if I can remember where it is :confused:

jonoslack

Jono,
Can you please tell me when you find a serious problem with this camera, so that I can take the wallet out of that secure place again... if I can remember where it is :confused:
I'm sorry Jorgen
As far as you're concerned I can see no tunnel at the end of the light.

You Are Doomed!
:ROTFL: