The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax lenses

jonoslack

Right now it's looking like the DA18-135 could fit the bill - in the range of 18-55mm it appears to be excellent. We're still waiting for some "professional" reviews of it, and I'm also sure Jono will let us know his thoughts once he gets better acquainted with his.
. . . . the "un-professional" review eh? :ROTFL:
One thing I can say categorically - it's MUCH better than the kit lens.

jonoslack

15mm limited

Hi there
Whilst testing out the 18-135, I popped the 15mm limited on the tripod as well. I have a nice test area which gives quite a lot of depth with detail at each depth.

As reported, this lens is soft on the corners at f4 - as Tom? suggested, I think this is more to do with curvature of field than an optical fault.

Basically, my test shot is of a shed, with the foreground coming towards you, and trees going away at the top.

The top corners (away from the point of focus) were actually quite sharp, whereas the bottom corners were very soft. This has improved by f5.6, and is really not an issue by f8.

The centre seems to be really good at all focal lengths, as others have said, colour and contrast is excellent, and the lens is a lovely thing. Definitely a keeper.

Either the 18-135 or the 15mm will fit in a coat pocket easily, which makes it great to go out with the K5 and these two lenses.

I put my feelings on the 18-134 in a different thread.

all the best

Paratom

Re: 15mm limited

Hi there
.... 15mm limited on the tripod as well. I have a nice test area which gives quite a lot of depth with detail at each depth.
...The centre seems to be really good at all focal lengths...
Hi Jono, how does the centre do at 20mm?

P

photogerald

. . . . the "un-professional" review eh? :ROTFL:
One thing I can say categorically - it's MUCH better than the kit lens.
Well by "professional" I was referring to the likes of dpreview, photozone, etc.

Any Joe can post their thoughts on the internet and have people say "I read it on the interwebs so it must be true!" Yes, those Joes would be you and I. :p

jonoslack

Well by "professional" I was referring to the likes of dpreview, photozone, etc.

Any Joe can post their thoughts on the internet and have people say "I read it on the interwebs so it must be true!" Yes, those Joes would be you and I. :p
Well, it would appear that this Joe don't know his aperture from his focal length, so I'd treat everything he says with deep caution :)

raist3d

This works nicely for me. It's about what I want to carry, and work the way I want to work. Others choose other solutions, each with their own compromises.

Life is good. ;-)
It's funny how times change and why we move out of a brand and why. Anyway, I was going to ask, I notice you are in San Jose. That's not too far from where I am, in particularly where I work right now. I was thinking if you had the free time this weekend and you were willing to do this, if I could meet with you and if you don't mind for me to try a few things on the E-5.

I am looking in particular for JPEG engine detail preserved as the ISO climbs up (1600, 3200, 6400). I think this would make me do a quick call on keeping/returning the K-5 though it looks like I am keeping.

Also some lower light AF. I get the impression the E-5 will AF better.

- Raist

ecsh

Sent my copy back to Adorama. The center was actually still soft on mine up to F8 when it would start to come out of its coma. Others on the Pentax forum have told me not to bother with another copy, as that is how they found their copy(s) as well. Will pick up a new copy after the first of the year, or whenever my body comes back home from the dreaded AA Filter disease. ;^((
Joe

jonoslack

Sent my copy back to Adorama. The center was actually still soft on mine up to F8 when it would start to come out of its coma. Others on the Pentax forum have told me not to bother with another copy, as that is how they found their copy(s) as well. Will pick up a new copy after the first of the year, or whenever my body comes back home from the dreaded AA Filter disease. ;^((
Joe
Hi Joe
Mine's fine at the centre, even at f4. I guess I was lucky (unlike the 16-50!).

I also have the filter disease (just a couple of spots off centre at f22) , but not so that I've seen it in any photographs. I thought I'd leave it for a week or so, and then try and get it replaced in the shop before Christmas when they have new stock.

To be honest I can live with it, but I'll try and get something sorted.

all the best

ecsh

At F11, it was a mess. I normally do not shoot that anyway, but it was the ramblings on the net that made me look. At first, it looks just like dust. Since all the Pentax stuff tells you to avoid blowers, i did a wet clean. No difference. So, i went back to most of my pics, and in 75% or so, you could not see it. Problem is, one word, resale. I like the camera enough to keep it, until something else this nice and small and well built comes along:ROTFL:
Joe