The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Got my Pentax k-5... quick impressions...

raist3d

I think this is one of the improvements that has been somewhat overlooked or underrated by Pentax users. The LV AF performance is much improved over the K-7, and an even bigger leap over my K20D which does not even have contrast detect AF - the mirror needs to drop down to take a phase detect AF reading (you can imagine how cumbersome this is). I think many of us got so used to the bad LV that we don't even bother paying attention to this feature anymore. So it's interesting hearing your good impressions of the LV AF on the K-5.
Thanks. The way yo describe it is how the old Olympus E-3 and 410/510 had to do it. That mirror dance. Still have to do it with non contrast AF lenses for the most part though I think the E-5 can AF them but slow.

I used it tonight and I even got better focus than the normal AF. I was able to capture a thing or two. I was surprised.

P

photogerald

I agree with you that the camera is entirely usable in an aperture range I can use it for. I just want it repaired if I am going to keep it because again the money spent, this shouldn't happen (this for me, looks like different K-5's got different severities of the problem).
Sorry to hear that you got hit by the "dirty sensor" problem. It seems that this issue is very prevalent (like, over 10%), based on the number of reports I'm seeing on the Pentax forums. Fortunately, it looks like Pentax and their dealers are acknowledging the issue, and trying to make things right. Though if I were you I might wait a bit before exchanging yours, as who knows if the problem has been really resolved now.

Oh tried Pentax's own software. ugh no, horrible. I applaud them for trying to recreate the camera settings using Silky Pix's engine but really, it was dog slow and crashed on me easily.
Oh yeah, the Windows version is nothing to write home about and I hear the Mac version is just plain bad. But like you said it's the only converter that has the Pentax in-camera presets, so some folks find it useful for that reason. Also, the general consensus in Pentax land is that the supplied software and retail version of Silky Pix give the best colours (with the least amount of work) for Pentax RAW files.

Which version of the Pentax software did your K-5 come with? The latest is 4.31, so if that's not what you're running you should download the update from the Pentax website.

You sorta asked this somewhere (it might've been on dpreview), but you lose nothing by shooting DNG instead of PEF (Pentax RAW). Pentax DNG files have an embedded colour profile, so as long as your software can handle that then you are set.

By the way, since you use a Mac, have you tried RPP?

P

photogerald

I used it tonight and I even got better focus than the normal AF. I was able to capture a thing or two. I was surprised.
Yes, in theory CDAF should be better more accurate. I like how on the K-5, the display zooms into the focus area during LV so you can visually confirm the focus.

raist3d

Yes, in theory CDAF should be better more accurate. I like how on the K-5, the display zooms into the focus area during LV so you can visually confirm the focus.
I totally 2nd that. It surprises me that it does that *and* it is fast for a DSLR. Fast to the point it's usable for many situations.

- Ricardo

P

photogerald

What did Pentax say they will do? Thanks.
In Europe they are exchanging bodies. I don't think Pentax USA has made any announcement yet.

And the latest news is that according to Pentax Europe this is a defect in the glass covering the sensor, rather than some foreign contaminent (such as oil or dust). It supposedly only affects a few batches, and they are now specifically checking for this defect before cameras get sent to distributors.

sagar

Here is what Pentax Imaging President, Ned Bunnell told Enticingthelight.com

I can confirm that Pentax Japan is fully aware of this situation and is diligently investigating the cause of these stains. I’d like to remind our US customers that their K-5 is covered under the 1-year warranty and that we’ll of course honor that. However, until we find out which batch(es) are affected by the stains, we recommend that photographers keep their cameras and refrain from exchanging them for another unit if purchased from an online retailer. Once we fully understand the origin of the stains and how to deal with them we will encourage affected K-5 owners to send in their cameras for warranty repair.
In Europe they are exchanging bodies. I don't think Pentax USA has made any announcement yet.

And the latest news is that according to Pentax Europe this is a defect in the glass covering the sensor, rather than some foreign contaminent (such as oil or dust). It supposedly only affects a few batches, and they are now specifically checking for this defect before cameras get sent to distributors.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, got my K5 a few days ago, tested of course any sensor issues - and there are NO issues!

Bad for those who are affected, but maybe it is becoming a to big hype - like many times!

Cheers

Peter

sagar

Thanks to this and Jono's thread, I ended up ordering K-5, specially since I got an Aamzon open box at unbelievable price of $1350. Now I have to decide whether to keep this or Olymps. I just hope there is no sensor issue

raist3d

Well, got my K5 a few days ago, tested of course any sensor issues - and there are NO issues!

Bad for those who are affected, but maybe it is becoming a to big hype - like many times!

Cheers

Peter
You know I have to admit this really bothers me. This attitude. I realize things can get out proportion but could you please at least respect the people that paid $USD $1,600 that *have this issue for real*? Or you think I am making it up when I say my camera has it?

Why is it that very often someone says "oh I don't have any problems so ... " ? This happened a lot with the backfocusing of the Olympus E-3. "OH my E-3 focuses fine so it must be a user error/only your camera/not an issue/whatever."

Thanks.

- Raist

PS: Yes, a pro spec camera (actually any camera) should *not be doing this* period. I can't shoot a landscape at F8 or higher without risking it. (at F8 I have to be extra careful).