Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

Same day, different sport...

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

I'm absolutely impressed !! That's why i always recommend Pentax to my friends ! And one of them bought a K-R last week !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin....great action shots.....but this one is my favorite..

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    R

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent baseball action, Ashwin...Pentax 200 is a fine lens, proved here.

Roy Benson

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin,

Great sports series. Our crew is getting itchy now that the ice is off the inlet to the lake.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin, nice series! I especially like the b&w last shot. Takes me right into the scene of the event.

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin, excellent action captures!
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

Nice weather in NE for a change, the weatherman was wrong.
    All with the 77 Ltd. to see what it can do. All jpegs sooc with a little crop

[IMG]

DRabbit

Ashwin... Live the baseball shots, and that first rowing shot is amazing!

Ecsh... The purple flower is very pretty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Early morning light.....don't bother me.

(Of course, this is all after he had me up at 4:00am.....I think he heard the Easter rabbit ).

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    A few today, K5 and 200 DA, UW baseball game (we got a much needed win!):

AF with this lens seems adequate
    Those are some great photos Ashwin! Good capture and crisp photos!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DRabbit View Post
    Nice shots Armanius... were you having some issues with focusing? They don't look as sharp as they should to me?

I actually sold the GH2 a month or so ago. Just couldn't love it. For video it's hard to beat, but it just wasn't doing it for me for photography and I felt like I could put the money towards something I would like a whole lot more. For the money I paid for it, I didn't want to have it just sitting around playing second fiddle. I ended up buying a GH1 (mostly for video) because Panasonic was having such a great sale ($350)... but honestly, between the M8 and now the K5, I doubt the GH1 will ever get used to take a photo... LOL... though I won't feel bad about it sitting in my photo cabinet when it only cost $350.
    Thanks Amy. I am having problems with the DA15's focus, for sure. I took a few shots in low light, and I was disappointed. At first, I figured that the softness was due to the low shutter speed. But I took a few more during the daylight over the weekend, and I couldn't get any crisp shots. I've played a little bit with the micro adjustment, but I'm going to send the DA15 back.

The second shot was with the FA35, and it seems pretty sharp to me. That was shot at F2. It's a pretty good performer wide open and probably slightly sharper than the FA31 at F1.8. At F2.8, the FA35 gets razor sharp.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    Thanks Amy. I am having problems with the DA15's focus, for sure. I took a few shots in low light, and I was disappointed. At first, I figured that the softness was due to the low shutter speed. But I took a few more during the daylight over the weekend, and I couldn't get any crisp shots. I've played a little bit with the micro adjustment, but I'm going to send the DA15 back.

The second shot was with the FA35, and it seems pretty sharp to me. That was shot at F2. It's a pretty good performer wide open and probably slightly sharper than the FA31 at F1.8. At F2.8, the FA35 gets razor sharp.
    Armanius

I just received my DA 15 and have no apparent problems with focus so my guess would be a bad copy. I have had my K5 for about two weeks (little time to shoot though as I have been having some back surgeries.) I found that achieving focus consistently was not as easy as expected. However now that I have gotten more experience my hits are improving with each passing day.

I spent a lot of time shuttling lenses back and forth to B&H in New York and my conclusions are that the FA series ( 31, 43 and 77) are the best of the bunch. I got the DA 15 as I needed a wide angle for certain shots. Not the super best lens I have ever used (pretty spoiled by the Nikon 14-24!) but nontheless a useful product. I suspect I will get either the Macro 100 or the standard 200 to deal with those needs but we will see. In the end I want no more than five lenses for all my work.

In general, I must say the K5 is a product that performs well beyond its' price point and I look forward to a long and happy existence together

Woody Spedden

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same way about the K-5, Woody...very comfortable and an excellent performer.
    My M8 and D700 gear hasn't left the shelf since I picked up the K-5. I think I have gotten around the wide angle situation with the Zeiss ZK lenses...(discontinued, I think, and hard to find). I have found the 35/2.8 macro, 40 Pancake, 50-135/2.8, and 200/2.8 to be keepers...I use them every day, along with the Sigma 70/2.8 macro. The jury is still out on the 100 WR macro...sharp, but very cranky AF.

Roy Benson
    Last edited by benroy; 25th April 2011 at 08:23. Reason: adding info

Post Thanks / Like

I went through 3 copies of the 15 myself. At F8 it was very soft still. F4 was a joke. They must really have a hard time with AC on this lens.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@Woody - Hope you are recovering well from your back surgery. I have back issues too. Will likely require a double fusion someday, but trying to put that off as long as possible.

Can you elaborate a little bit more about not being able to achieve focus as easily and consistently? Is this in relation to other cameras? Prior to the K5, I never felt the the AF was off in any other camera I've owned/used (Oly E620/510/410, Pany GH2, Oly EP2, Sony NEX, A55).

With the K5, I bought and returned (for different reasons) the DA21, FA43, FA100, Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 17-50. I'm about to return the DA15. The only keeper so far for me is the FA35. Out of all these lenses, I had to do micro adjustments on all but the DA21. Granted that the K5 is the first camera that I've owned which allows for micro adjustments. But I never felt that any of my other cameras (or lenses for other cameras) had auto focus issues.

@ecsh - how is your current copy of the DA15? What does "AC" mean?
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

It is more than slightly concerning that so many people have lens 'issues'. I wonder how you are all judging this? I have not been 100% happy with the 18-135 performance and have had 'soft' image issues but I now think it's a combination of things. My 43mm needed +10 adjustment. My 18-135 ... well I am not sure how to judge the requirement for a zoom but I have recently given it +5 and it seems to be better. Also, the images from this lens benefit from higher sharpening in LR. Anyway, one from today given the "Creamtone" preset in LR:

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

This one has to stay in colour!

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

I do like the square format ...

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I found disappointing about the DA15 is that my images are soft even when stopped down from F4 all the way to F9. With the HUGE DOF that one should get by stopping down a super wide lens, the image should be fairly crisp. No such luck for me.

I'm going to give the 18-135 a try. Maybe 18mm is wide enough for me.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Early Monday AM tip-toeing through the dewdrops with the 200/2.8.

Roy Benson
    Last edited by benroy; 21st May 2011 at 06:02.

Post Thanks / Like

Armanius
    My current copy is acceptable at F4. Not razor sharp, but does sharpen up in PS. Other copies were terrible.
    It should have read QC in my post, for quality control.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A news lens came today. First obligatory cat photo with my new 70 2.4. At 2.4 1/100 at 6400ISO with no correction or noise reduction other than a little cropping in LR3.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

I recognise that look - if you touch my whiskers for perfect 'bokeh' again, you've had it - a mouse at 3am in the bedroom at the very least.

She looks cross though ... great shot none the less

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Right - if you do that again I can give you a really mean look, I am 14 after all ...

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim and Lee....I love cats!!!

Great shots ....all of them.

R

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rich

Yeah, and yours 'heard' the Easter Bunny ... whether it was true or not, it was worth getting up for your shot, lovely, though it makes me wonder if you keep your k5 by your bedside?

Cats have it sussed, for sure!

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono (and others)

I am completing my lens research for the K5 and so far have settled on the DA 15. FA 31. FA 43, and FA 77. I need macro and telephoto so am looking at the WR 100 as a possible solution.

Jono I know you blew both hot and cold on this lens and if I recall your last thoughts were that you would keep it and forego the Zeiss 100 2.0. Are you still feeling that way. What do others who own the lens think?

I have seen some really nice work with the 200 DA (Benroy comes to mind) and would also welcome all comments on this.

I am returning or have already returned the DA 21, DA 40, and SDM 55 as not being ideal for me. So in total I will end up with a five or six lens total kit which is a bit more than I hoped for but the need for longer telephoto makes it a bit of a necessity. My MF kit, the S2, while wonderful currently tops out at 180mm so the K5 should be just the ticket.

Thanks in advance for help and comments

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What did you not like about the SDM 55? I was thinking about that one (other than the DA70) and possibly re-getting the DA21. The 200 looks intriguing too, particularly after seeing Ashwin's baseball photos.

I initially liked the FA100 a lot, particularly because of its built. It felt nicer than any of the Ltd lenses I've handled so far (DA15, DA21, FA43). I had to do a +4 or 5 with the microadjustment on mine. But I returned it after I got frustrated with the auto focus. Given that it's a macro and the lack of a focus limiter, whenever the AF misses the focus, it runs through the entire focal length. It's slow. And noisy. Probably not any noisier than other screw driven lenses, but given that it's slow, it ends up sounding a whole lot louder.

The FA100 is decently sharp at 2.8. But it gets much better at 3.5 and onwards.

The FA100 has increased in price by $20 since I returned it. Nowhere near the $200 increase for the FA43!

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Jono (and others)

I am completing my lens research for the K5 and so far have settled on the DA 15. FA 31. FA 43, and FA 77. I need macro and telephoto so am looking at the WR 100 as a possible solution.

Jono I know you blew both hot and cold on this lens and if I recall your last thoughts were that you would keep it and forego the Zeiss 100 2.0. Are you still feeling that way. What do others who own the lens think?

I have seen some really nice work with the 200 DA (Benroy comes to mind) and would also welcome all comments on this.

I am returning or have already returned the DA 21, DA 40, and SDM 55 as not being ideal for me. So in total I will end up with a five or six lens total kit which is a bit more than I hoped for but the need for longer telephoto makes it a bit of a necessity. My MF kit, the S2, while wonderful currently tops out at 180mm so the K5 should be just the ticket.

Thanks in advance for help and comments

Woody
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,

Have you thought about the Tamron 90 2.8 macro? I have used this on a Canon 5D2 system and thought it was quick and sharp. When looking on Flicker and searching for the combination I think it shows itself well. I have attached a link to the Flicker search:
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&...mron+90&m=text

I have not seen anyone use it here but it seems to have promise.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Right - if you do that again I can give you a really mean look, I am ...
    Lee
    Very nice shot. Looks like a person!

- raist

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We've come full cycle on our review of lenses for the K-5...started with the 40 Pancake, and we'll finish up with the 40...opinion: very much underrated lens...very sharp...excellent rendering of fine detail...examples below:

Roy Benson
    Last edited by benroy; 21st May 2011 at 06:02.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Jono (and others)

HI There Woody
    I have changed my mind about the 100, BUT it's very important to learn how to use it - 100mm macros usually have long throws, and tend to focus in and out a bit. The 100 WR should have a focus limiter, and it should be quieter as well - irritating.

However - using the focus over-ride means that if you get into the habit of doing a rough manual focus first, and then half pressing the shutter for the AF, it really doesn't hunt at all (and therefore it doesn't make a nasty noise either).

It's advantages are that its really sharp, it has a great bokeh, it's weatherproof and it's really small (for that type of lens). The Zeiss is much more expensive, and it doesn't have AF at all (if you make the 100WR into a MF lens that doesn't make any noise!).

So, my final conclusion was that to buy the Zeiss because I didn't like the noise of the AF on the 100 WR was rather topsy turvy logic!

Having said all of this - I use the 35 macro much more often!

all the best

Just this guy you know

DRabbit

photo from today...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    What did you not like about the SDM 55? I was thinking about that one (other than the DA70) and possibly re-getting the DA21. The 200 looks intriguing too, particularly after seeing Ashwin's baseball photos.

I initially liked the FA100 a lot, particularly because of its built. It felt nicer than any of the Ltd lenses I've handled so far (DA15, DA21, FA43). I had to do a +4 or 5 with the microadjustment on mine. But I returned it after I got frustrated with the auto focus. Given that it's a macro and the lack of a focus limiter, whenever the AF misses the focus, it runs through the entire focal length. It's slow. And noisy. Probably not any noisier than other screw driven lenses, but given that it's slow, it ends up sounding a whole lot louder.

The FA100 is decently sharp at 2.8. But it gets much better at 3.5 and onwards.

The FA100 has increased in price by $20 since I returned it. Nowhere near the $200 increase for the FA43!
    Hi Armanius

Nothing to dislike about the 55 SDM. But when I consider the entire kit, and my love for the 43FA, it feels like extra money not worthwhile spent. F1:4 is nice but F1.8 is fine for 99% of my shots

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More texture.....

Less texture.....

R

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wonderful Rich - I specially like the less texture one.
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Wonderful Rich - I specially like the less texture one.
    all the best
    Thanks Jono....still loving the K-5. Sold my last Canon brand lens last night.

Never thought that would happen

R

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    More texture.....

Less texture.....

R
    Rich,

very nice texture images.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rich,
    Very nice I like the "more texture" shot.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Rich,
    Very nice I like the "more texture" shot.

Jim
    Thanks Jim.....that was with the DA 35/2.8 macro. That lens is "clinically" sharp.

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went to A Strobist shoot tonight and shot the 18-135 and my new (old) 50 1.7 and 70 2.4.

I'll try and get examples out tomorrow but here is an 18-135 to start.

[IMG] Ybor Strobist Shoot by jmmtampa, on Flickr[/IMG]

Jim
    Last edited by JMaher; 28th April 2011 at 12:39.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few bird shots with the K5+55-300. All hand held snapshots.

Female cardinal getting a south wind blow-dry.

Wren with morsel.

Conceited male goldfinch.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl....I can see how one could favor the 55-300. These are all perfectly acceptable shots.

How does it do in lower light?

R

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Carl....I can see how one could favor the 55-300. These are all perfectly acceptable shots.

How does it do in lower light?

R
    Rich,

It seems to be OK at lower light levels, but if changing distance it helps to pre-focus manually first because of the slow autofocus mechanism. Here is one wide open (f/5.8) in late evening at 6400.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Rich,

It seems to be OK at lower light levels, but if changing distance it helps to pre-focus manually first because of the slow autofocus mechanism. Here is one wide open (f/5.8) in late evening at 6400.

Carl.....the 55-300 sure seems like an acceptable, low-cost, lightweight, long range zoom lens.

I am sure that like many longer, slow(er) zooms, it flourishes in bright light.

R

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    Carl - love the blow dry - I've been thinking of that lens as it's so small.

Here are some shots from the last day or so

here are two with the 35 macro:

and a couple with the 100 WR macro

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The last two are excellent, Jono!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono

I like the work you have done with the 100 WR. A versatile lens to be sure but it seems soft to me. Am I wrong about that÷

I just received my 200 (I needed some reach to go along with the smaller lighter FA lenses)

I have only been able to shoot some test shots out the window of my computer room (looking at the golf course) and I am really impressed with the sharpness, bokeh, and color from this lens. I expected a lot having seen the many shots from Benroy but I must admit my expectations were exceeded.

For those who need reach and are willing to work with a fixed focal length this lens should be on your must evaluate list. Plus it is fast and with the SDM motor very silent.

Woody