The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Terry

Jim,
Congrats! From this small snippet the camera really seems to suit you well. Once I get back to SF this weekend I will venture into the the Mardi Gras book.

scho

I received my K5 three days before I left for Mardi Gras and am still learning the camera but so far I am quite pleased. I took over 800 shots at Mardi Gras using the 18-135 only even though I have the 35mm Limited... never put that one on the camera.. the 18-135 allowed more versatility.
Still getting to know the camera but so far I am impressed and happy with what it is delivering.
Hi Jim,

Congrats for the new K5 kit. Excellent series of Mardi Gras portraits and beautiful shots from the auto graveyard. The 18-135 CA is unfortunate, but usually can be easily removed in raw processing. Otherwise a very nice lens for the K5.

jonoslack

The K5 is a fun and well thought out camera. I must say that the 18-135 suffers from some pretty bad CA at times and with a UV filter on it there is very bad vignetting at 135mm. The 35mm/macro is a little jewel but in New Orleans it did not fit for what I needed to do.
HI Jim
Glad it's going well. I must say, the CA is my only problem with the 18-135, otherwise it's better than one should expect from such a wide ranging zoom. I've been in France for 10 days with just the M9, so it'll be interesting to get back to the K5 after a break.

vincechu

Wow jim, some beautiful photos that you've posted, my favourites are the 1st Autograve yard one you've posted (for some reason I've always thought that photos involving urban decay/rust or old/retro look very cool, yours does indeed :) hope that makes sense!) Also love the one directly above with the Red haired lady - her blue eyes drew me in and kept my attention really well. I just wish there were more celebrations like that closer to where I am in the UK.

vincechu

A few from me, though I'm supposed to be essay writing for Monday :p All with the FA31 and processed in LR3 for once - normally I'm pretty lazy and use the out of cam jpgs which are very good, though the bright sun made me work hard in PP today

My uni's (Keele) library:

IMGP0741 by vincechu89, on Flickr

IMGP0751 by vincechu89, on Flickr

I was meant to be shooting landscapes in the beautiful weather but I caught this little guys attention, and he caught mine too. A pony who I seem to drive past occassionally near univerisity. As he was walking closer to me:

IMGP0792 by vincechu89, on Flickr

This was as close as we could get to eachother due to a barbed-wire fence, it was as if he wanted me to pet him, though my hands were ice cold so i didn't.. didnt want to startle him :)

IMGP0803 by vincechu89, on Flickr

This got washed out abit by the sun (which was behind the pony), so i tried to make the most of it in LR3...

IMGP0797 by vincechu89, on Flickr

I underexposed this by about a stop originally to get around the bright sun, worked a treat due to the K5's impressive Raw files:

IMGP0808 by vincechu89, on Flickr

The black and white pony had a friend, who was pretty shy and looked on cautiously from a good few meters - kinda cute the was it behaved:

IMGP0806 by vincechu89, on Flickr

She came over briefly and I managed to snap this:

IMGP0811 by vincechu89, on Flickr

Last edited:

vincechu

Part 2:

I always drive past them on the way to university, they're always together, or not too far :) Kind of cute, it shows how animals are like humans, they want company from each other. This looked very intimate to me, it seemed that they were grooming each other i think :)

IMGP0818 by vincechu89, on Flickr

Finally a bit of landscape like I intended, here's them eating together:

IMGP0855 by vincechu89, on Flickr

IMGP0858 by vincechu89, on Flickr

Any C&C very welcome - especially on my composition which I'm particularly trying to improve at the moment. I think I over did the saturation a little in LR3, though i can't tell as my screen isn't colour corrected (yet lol) - at the moment leaning forward and backwards changes how saturated an image looks on my screen... pretty frustrating :(

Last edited:

scho

I am from PR myself and when I saw your last shot, I was wondering where on Earth in Puerto Rico was that :)

- Raist
Hi Ricardo,

Yes, a pretty generic looking beach shot :) It was in front of the Hosteria del mar hotel/Uvva restaurant at Ocean Park beach.

scho

Part 2:

I always drive past them on the way to university, they're always together, or not too far :) Kind of cute, it shows how animals are like humans, they want company from each other. This looked very intimate to me, it seemed that they were grooming each other i think :)

Any C&C very welcome - especially on my composition which I'm particularly trying to improve at the moment. I think I over did the saturation a little in LR3, though i can't tell as my screen isn't colour corrected (yet lol) - at the moment leaning forward and backwards changes how saturated an image looks on my screen... pretty frustrating :(
Vince,

Nice pony shots. Saturation does look a bit high, but not excessive.

vincechu

Vince,

Nice pony shots. Saturation does look a bit high, but not excessive.
Thanks Carl,

I personally think I definately over did it in 1,2,10 and 11. I had some time today around essay writing and re-did the last photo quickly:

IMGP0858 Edit from Raw by vincechu89, on Flickr

The colours here seem more accurate to the real scene, atleast on my screen, though I honestly can't tell - I definately need to invest in colour management asap.

I think I want to go for a less saturated more film look in future...

Armanius

Great set of photos Jim! I've been to your site a few times looking at the other Mardi Gras photos with your m4/3 stuff.

raist3d

Hi Ricardo,

Yes, a pretty generic looking beach shot :) It was in front of the Hosteria del mar hotel/Uvva restaurant at Ocean Park beach.
Ah no, I meant the last shot of the three- which is clearly not in Puerto Rico :)

- Raist

ashwinrao1

Okay, now I am getting some results that I really like....

Guitar Man....

Guitar Man in Color!

Taken today at Pike's Place Market in Seattle...the K5 is quite an enjoyable camera, I must say...all images taken with the 31 and 77 FA primes...most of these are 77 FA shots, fairly close to wide open...

Armanius

Great photos Ashwin. Favorite was the grandma and toddler photo. Nice contrast in textures and facial expressions. The color are awesome too. Was it a RAW converted to JPG in LR3.3? Or OOC JPG?

retow

Great shots Ashwin, they have a nice RF feel to them;). You and Jono make this K5 look sooo tempting. Composition and framing wise, your pictures could as well have been taken with the M9. So which one is more fun?
Selling the X1 and one M lens would give me the funds to buy a K5 with 3 nice primes:confused: decisions, decisions.

jonoslack

Great shots Ashwin, they have a nice RF feel to them;). You and Jono make this K5 look sooo tempting. Composition and framing wise, your pictures could as well have been taken with the M9. So which one is more fun?
Selling the X1 and one M lens would give me the funds to buy a K5 with 3 nice primes:confused: decisions, decisions.
Wonderful shots Ashwin - I like all of them (what kind of a surprise is that :ROTFL:)

As for the question retow - they're both so different that deciding which is more fun is really tough - I've just spent a week in the alps; I only wanted to take one system, and the M9 won - probably on the basis of a last minute whim.

as for your X1 and one M lens decision - I think that's a splendid deal . . . . as long as it isn't an M lens you use a lot!