Site Sponsors
Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 2763

Thread: Fun with the Pentax K5

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

Bart: have had the 200 for quite awhile...before you came onto the thread...made several postings...then stepped aside when your 200 images began appearing...made for nice change of topics (from flowers to birds, etc.). Heckuva lens, isn't it? And then the 300/4.5 lens found me.

Roy Benson
    Last edited by benroy; 7th June 2011 at 13:37. Reason: Add info

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bart and Jim! I'll give it a try again, this time at higher apertures.

Most of the photos were actually at a good distance from the camera. Well, I guess it depends on what short distance and far distance mean. For example, the photos of my girlfriend (the Asian girl) were all at least ten feet away. Those photos were all cropped and then shrunk to 1200 pixels. Actually, all but the last two photos were cropped and then shrunk.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    Jono, Woody, Bart, Michael, Roy... and others..

Thanks for the kind words about the Faded Roses... I have been saving those damn roses for almost two months now waiting for the opportunity to shoot them.
    I really think this shot is phenomenal. It just has the color/light and texture that is really nice to look at.

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    Jim - nice shot of the lady - but I find the sign on the left of the shot a little distracting.
    Armando - I love the girl at the beginning - and the grumpy looking guy . . and of course your girlfriend as well
    Tom - pretty in pink!

Here's one from the morning walk:

and here's one from after the morning walk!

7am and Sam's having a rest - Sam has come to stay with us on a long term basis, he's lovely, friendly and doesn't seem to mind my pretty ghastly riding skills

all with the 18-135

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Came across this Black Bear on a long drive on Tuesday...just south of Whistler, BC.

Shot with my K-5 and 100mm f2.8 WR from about 15-20 feet away (while sitting in my car ).

And these two with the same lens in Mt. Currie (45 minutes north of Whistler).

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Love the brown horse pic. Great definition.
    Joe

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say goodbye to this thread.
    I did another comparison with the K5 vs D700 after I had again quite a few out of focus images at medium distance yesterday with the K5.
    I guess I had bad luck with my 2 samples of the K5 or with my lenses.
    I just cant get reliable focus with it. Loved the small lenses, the robust body, the colors. But I need a reliable tool. Maybe it just needs further fine calibration but I am tired of fine calibration.
    So anybody interested in a K5 or 15,21,35,70 50-135mm let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom, PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Tom....sorry to hear you didn't find the consistency you were looking for.

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Trying to post and edit on the road.....

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did another comparison with the K5 vs D700 after I had again quite a few out of focus images at medium distance yesterday with the K5.
    I just cant get reliable focus with it. Loved the small lenses, the robust body, the colors. But I need a reliable tool. Maybe it just needs further fine calibration but I am tired of fine calibration.
    Sorry to hear this and somewhat surprised. I have followed this thread, largely because it has some great photos, but also because I'm considering a K5. I have a 645D and have found the autofocus to be very accurate (within a few inches at medium distance). To my knowledge, this is the same system used in the K5.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom,

15,21,35 and probably 70 are difficult to focus at medium distance reliably...maybe the 50-135 at 110+ but even then if it is not a fast lens you will struggle.

I do not have a K5...never will but you have a number of great shots from it. I am reminded of Ansel Adams .... said if he had 10 exceptional captures a YEAR he was happy. In the process is the joy .... results are secondary. Do you exercise your vision with the small camera or your back with the big camera.

Even if you sell your system don't say goodbye...there are too many wonderful captures here not to visit and encourage others....

However, I do imagine if you had a 100 WR or a 200 for a week your success with the camera would encourage you.

Just an observation......

Take good care,

Best Regards,

Bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Bob,
    you are right - I should not say goodbye, just that I will probably not be able to post images -but of course I will come here and look for the great images.
    Why do you think that those lenses are difficult to focus at medium distance?
    I also have to say that I had same kind of problems once when I had a Canon 7d for some time.
    If I didnt have the experience from various Nikon dodies I had over time I might live with it, or further work to isolate the reasons and work on those, but I am just not patient enough any more. But each time when I go out and shoot and later many images are slightly off focus I am frustrated.
    Also if I did not have a Leica M system as well I might keep the K5 for its small size and further experiment.
    I also know there are others who do not have such problem with the K5 system. And as I said the color and tonality I like a lot.
    I was close to get 1 or 2 more lenses, (either a 200 or a 60-250 and eventually a 100WR but I just dont feel safe to spend further money if I am not sure if I will manage to get the system under control)

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Tom,

15,21,35 and probably 70 are difficult to focus at medium distance reliably...maybe the 50-135 at 110+ but even then if it is not a fast lens you will struggle.

I do not have a K5...never will but you have a number of great shots from it. I am reminded of Ansel Adams .... said if he had 10 exceptional captures a YEAR he was happy. In the process is the joy .... results are secondary. Do you exercise your vision with the small camera or your back with the big camera.

Even if you sell your system don't say goodbye...there are too many wonderful captures here not to visit and encourage others....

However, I do imagine if you had a 100 WR or a 200 for a week your success with the camera would encourage you.

Just an observation......

Take good care,

Best Regards,

Bob

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob,

Why do you think that those lenses are difficult to focus at medium distance?
    Personally, I have found that with small viewfinders and my aging vision - even with corrective lenses I cannot nail focus consistently with those wide angle lenses. With the better view afforded by a full frame viewfinder I am much more likely to nail the framing and focus as there is more of a contrast shift visible to decide what is best. Even though medium wide lenses have a bit more apparent depth of field ... the zone of critical sharpness is still not that deep. You have found the problem with the K5 and the 7D both with smaller viewfinders.

I know this is true from my use of Leica and VC lenses on m4/3 cameras...I will set an apparently correct focus through the viewfinder only to discover when I move to magnified live view I am OFF A BIT. So my compensation now is to live with live view when it matters. Many subjects are moving too quickly for this to work which is where my Nikon D3s excels....great AF and a wonderful viewfinder.

With macro or a lens like the 200 your viewfinder sight gives a much better view of that which you wish to be in focus...so your capture rate is higher. I am totally amazed at the sharpness and color and beauty from the pics with the K5 and the 100 WR or the 200.

If the K5 has a decent live view function you might test its magnified view as an assist with the lenses you have mentioned. Personally if I had the camera it just might be permanently welded to a 200.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom,

Sorry to see you go. I still struggle with the K5. It has so many positive things going for it but it lacks others. I shot with the K5 for a few hours yesterday than switched to the 5D2 that was in my trunk for a 1/2 hour or so. I like the larger view from the Canon and the ability to tether but the size and adjust ability of the K5 is great. I think I got more keepers from the K5 based on the ease of changing focus points compared to the 2 button awkward approach in the Canon. I need to remind myself that there is no perfect camera.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rich - I really like both landscapes. Great composition and color.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Something a little different. A body painting event I went to yesterday.

20110611-IMGP2158 by jmmtampa, on Flickr

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,the boots shot feels very mediterranean
    Neil,any shot with a bear in it is a winner for me(nothing so exiting here)
    Rich,particually like the second imagethe more i look at it the more i'm sure i can see the grass and crops bristling in the breeze.(perhaps i need a new monitor)
    Tom,"confidence is king" and if the k5 gave you reason for doubt,then youve gotta do whats best for you
    A shot from a while ago.Henrhyd Falls,Wales, with the humble 18-55 kit lens. I dont think its much of a shot but I do think it hints at,to me anyway,the tonal/DR range of the k5 even with a dodgy lens!...(flat light,iffy subject matter,ropey clot on the lens )
    Regards
    Malc
    Last edited by MalcolmP; 9th December 2013 at 09:32.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Personally, I have found that with small viewfinders and my aging vision - even with corrective lenses I cannot nail focus consistently with those wide angle lenses. With the better view afforded by a full frame viewfinder I am much more likely to nail the framing and focus as there is more of a contrast shift visible to decide what is best. Even though medium wide lenses have a bit more apparent depth of field ... the zone of critical sharpness is still not that deep. You have found the problem with the K5 and the 7D both with smaller viewfinders.

I know this is true from my use of Leica and VC lenses on m4/3 cameras...I will set an apparently correct focus through the viewfinder only to discover when I move to magnified live view I am OFF A BIT. So my compensation now is to live with live view when it matters. Many subjects are moving too quickly for this to work which is where my Nikon D3s excels....great AF and a wonderful viewfinder.

With macro or a lens like the 200 your viewfinder sight gives a much better view of that which you wish to be in focus...so your capture rate is higher. I am totally amazed at the sharpness and color and beauty from the pics with the K5 and the 100 WR or the 200.

If the K5 has a decent live view function you might test its magnified view as an assist with the lenses you have mentioned. Personally if I had the camera it just might be permanently welded to a 200.

Bob
    Bob,
    I agree with the viewfinder thing - and I also guess that with a larger sensor the AF-Sensor in relation to the viewfinder is smaller so easier for selective focus.

The other thing is that for some reason I feel there is some relationship between sensor size and how the transition between the sharp and unsharp planes look like.

I can not use a 100 or 200 as my main lens since I like shorter focal lengths for many things.

Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post

Jim
    Thats a cool image- specially they dark "look" of it with the eyes popping out.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim - that's lovely

Here's one from yesterday - tracking with the 18-135 - lots of hits at high speed:

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work everyone. The X100 has kept me away for awhile, but slowly coming back to the K5. Here are some sizzling red impatiens after a rain shower this morning. Taken with the DA 55-300.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

Here's one from yesterday - tracking with the 18-135 - lots of hits at high speed:
    Jono......never thought gulls could look graceful, these certainly do.

Do tell......any specific settings you found that you favored....or just S&P?

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim.....I too like the eyes.....and the skin texture. Pretty cool.

R

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim - that's lovely

all the best
    Jono, there's something very nostalgic about this capture, feels like the summer breeze blowing through my hair as I look upon this...love the way it pops!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

All wonderful shots everybody

@Tom: I'm sorry you don't feel comfortable with the K5 system, please hang on to it for awhile.
    But then you still have that magnificent S2 system ...

@Jim: those popping eyes, the colours, what a stunning portrait, well done !

@Jono: great result, so the K5 can do a bit of action after all !
    Still I think shooting moving subjects on the ground is a different ball game.

@Neil: very nice shots and the bear is übercool, despite the bear chewing a bit of greenery good thing you were in your car, though.

@Carl: The 50-300 receives good reviews: lovely close-up here.

@Rich: these fine landscapes represent the past/present and I'm afraid to say the future.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much opportunities here, so here are some from a while back.

(Heavily cropped and PP)

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Knorp; 13th June 2011 at 00:49. Reason: typo
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bart

These are spectacular animal portraits. Reminds me of Nick Brandt's work with elephants and cheetahs.

Congratulations

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This thread has some of the best images around. Everyone has contributed something great but in the past few days these two stand out for me. Wish I had taken them .

Thanks Bart & Rich.

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Jono......never thought gulls could look graceful, these certainly do.

Do tell......any specific settings you found that you favored....or just S&P?

R
    HI There Rich
    I had it on continuous focus with multiple spots - it wasn't perfect, but plenty of hits.
    @Bart - I guess you're right that things would be different on the ground. I love the butterfly.
    @Ashwin - thanks for the kind words
    @Carl - those reds are certainly sizzling!

@Tom
    Has it all gone yet? Maybe the answer for you is simply the camera and the small zoom . . . it's what I use most, and I would have thought it would be the best compliment to your S2 and M9?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The more I see of this K-5 the more I see a richness that I find a little elusive with my Nikon equipment. I guess the only way to know is to just go ahead and buy a K-5 and a limited prime and see if we connect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmack View Post
    The more I see of this K-5 the more I see a richness that I find a little elusive with my Nikon equipment. I guess the only way to know is to just go ahead and buy a K-5 and a limited prime and see if we connect.
    Go for it!

Lee

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Not much opportunities here, so here are some from a while back.
    Bart, Lovely butterfly shot and great ostrich portrait.

HI There Rich
    I had it on continuous focus with multiple spots - it wasn't perfect, but plenty of hits.
    Nice shooting Jono. The gull with the black head looks like our laughing gull. Is it the same species on your side?
    Carl
    Gallery

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kudos to all for the fine pics: horses, birds, bees, bears, landscapes, moody beauty, butterflies, green frogs...a digital menagerie...and (almost overlooked) the scarlet impatiens.Have you taken a moment to look at the stuff in the other forums? You'll really appreciate how good the Pentax K-5 images are after a quick gander.

Roy Benson

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

@Tom
    Has it all gone yet? Maybe the answer for you is simply the camera and the small zoom . . . it's what I use most, and I would have thought it would be the best compliment to your S2 and M9?

all the best
    Hi Jono,
    not yet gone,
    its a hard decission. Maybe if I have a chance to check out the zoom without having to buy it (could ask my local store). But I am not very confident.
    Thank you for your help and usefull suggestions you made various times!
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono,
    not yet gone,
    its a hard decission. Maybe if I have a chance to check out the zoom without having to buy it (could ask my local store). But I am not very confident.
    Thank you for your help and usefull suggestions you made various times!
    Tom
    I agree... it's a hard decision. I'm inclined to start with the 21 or the 35mm macro.

However, I do have a question. How many stops (roughly) do you gain with the Pentax in body image stabilization?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom,

I will echo Jono's comment about the small zoom. I own two Pentax primes and have borrowed others and I use the 18-135 95% of the time. I like primes , and I have always owned and used them extensively. However there is something about the small. light, water resistant Pentax zoom. It renders beautifully and just seems to work in most circumstances.
    Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom - Jim
    We went to a Country passtimes event in Suffolk yesterday. Friends were staying, and it wasn't a time for taking many pictures. It was raining as well, so all I had was the K5 and the 18-135.

I didn't lose any shots from missed focus - it did a grand job, and in the low wet light the camera was lovely to use, fast, quiet, efficient.

I took lots of snaps, but here are four:

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . . Then, a few minutes later, with the same lens, you can take these:

Of course, we all know that the right answer is an IQ 180 and a tripod with fantastic lenses . . . . but I'm loving the fact that a K5 with a 5 times zoom is getting interesting shots time after time without getting in the way

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

Great shots of the event. They all have an indefinable something that I really like.

The K5 is interesting. It seems to defy my normal habits. Just the 18-135 seems to be enough most of the time. I do cheat and use a flash frequently but that has nothing to do with the great ISO capability of the camera. I just have fun with lights!

Jim
    Last edited by JMaher; 13th June 2011 at 19:29.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jono: there is a timelessness involved in your very pleasing pics of today's men and yesteryear's machines. Well done. (you didn't get caught in a time warp, did you? You are living in Queen Victoria's reign?)

Roy Benson

Post Thanks / Like

You probably would not have been out in the rain with the IQ180, now would you?
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono.....great shots all......well done.

R

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What a marvelous series, Jono.
    And aren't the colours in the close-ups wonderful ?
    I can't deny the 18-135 is the "Swiss Army knife" equivalent of lenses.

Try doing this with an IQ180 or S2 or M9 !

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Jim
    That is an awesome shot. Low key and color and it all works.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Jono

You continue to get a great variety of great shots with that lens. My 'keeper rate' has certainly improved since I started using higher shutter speeds, e.g. 1/500th, if I can, with SR OFF. I see many of yours are at 1/320th, I assume you are in auto-iso mode 'fast' still?

I am in a quandary regarding a trip to Cornwall next week. Well, assuming it doesn't rain all week, whether to concentrate on using my K5 (with 18-135 and 43 ltd) or to go solo with my X100. Hmn, I don't think I'll be able to do that, it has to be both cameras!

Lee

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Jono

You continue to get a great variety of great shots with that lens. My 'keeper rate' has certainly improved since I started using higher shutter speeds, e.g. 1/500th, if I can, with SR OFF. I see many of yours are at 1/320th, I assume you are in auto-iso mode 'fast' still?

I am in a quandary regarding a trip to Cornwall next week. Well, assuming it doesn't rain all week, whether to concentrate on using my K5 (with 18-135 and 43 ltd) or to go solo with my X100. Hmn, I don't think I'll be able to do that, it has to be both cameras!

Lee
    Has there been any conclusion that SR can lead to somewhat softer images?
    Thanks, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Soon

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    I'll post my K5 pictures next year, when I buy one, promise ...
    Two little pancakes ready for their new sensor - it'll be in my mitts tomorrow. (Quite frankly the one thing I'm hoping not to hear any more is the K20-like Ka-chung every time I press the shutter.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has there been any conclusion that SR can lead to somewhat softer images?
    Thanks, Tom
    Tom....I am as curious as you are on that topic. I wish I had a spare day to go out and test it.

Have you decided to hang on to the K-5 for a bit?

Hope you do.......R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    Kudos to all for the fine pics: horses, birds, bees, bears, landscapes, moody beauty, butterflies, green frogs...a digital menagerie...and (almost overlooked) the scarlet impatiens.Have you taken a moment to look at the stuff in the other forums? You'll really appreciate how good the Pentax K-5 images are after a quick gander.

Roy Benson
    Hi Roy

Interesting point and why is it exactly? I mean apart from the skills of the photographers here of course. It could just be that the K5 excites us in a way that encourages us to post ... but it's more than that. I have thought it from the start: regardless of the absolute qualities of the different lenses in terms of sharpness etc the K5 images have a richness and tonality to them that seems to me hard to find elsewhere.

Lee