The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

raist3d

@Jono- how did you find the 35 DA Limited "pancake" macro? That's the one I am considering next. I decided to skip the 40mm and for the macro so I can do macro plus another more reasonable focal length (to me).

- Raist

jonoslack

@Jono- how did you find the 35 DA Limited "pancake" macro? That's the one I am considering next. I decided to skip the 40mm and for the macro so I can do macro plus another more reasonable focal length (to me).

- Raist
Hi Ricardo
As far as I'm concerned it's the best of the lot. Not sure you'd call it a pancake though? It's about the same size as a 50 'cron. Complete with slide out lens hood.
It's a bit noisy focusing, but seems quick enough. The real treat ( for a short macro) is really splendid bokeh.
Absolutely recommended. Unlike my 15, which is going back.
Have a great holiday!

m3photo

Re: The Fens

Ah yes, then there's these three - also from the fen - I like them

So - now - Michael - you'd better nip out and get your K5 quick - Tom and Ricardo - you aren't pulling your weight - anybody else - please join in!
Ah, the fens. Reminds me of school runs from King's ...

K5 soon I promise.

LoSenior

Jono,
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the K 5.
The pictures are an inspiration showing your range of skills.

Jerry

arashm

Jono and all
thank you for posting these images.
For Jono, I'm wondering how you're going to feel about your Sony Gear in a while and if the K5 and alpha's are going to manage to co-exist.
Thank you once again.
am

ecsh

Here are a couple with the (soon to go back) 15mm:

f7.1 (and still soft off centre - even at this resolution)

Still, sometimes the curvature of field (towards one at the corners / edges) can work in one's favour.
The DR of the camera never ceases to amaze me - just a few minutes in Aperture to bring up the foreground:

Well, now i do not feel like i was the crazy one returning the same lens. You can just tell when a lens is just too soft, especially in the center of the pic, even stopped down. I read so many user reviews of the lens telling of how sharp this lens was. I must have been mass hypnosis or something:ROTFL:
People were telling me how wrong i was in PMs, that the lens was sharp.

In any case, with Jono returning the lens as well, i feel a little better.
Joe

jonoslack

Well, now i do not feel like i was the crazy one returning the same lens. You can just tell when a lens is just too soft, especially in the center of the pic, even stopped down. I read so many user reviews of the lens telling of how sharp this lens was. I must have been mass hypnosis or something:ROTFL:
People were telling me how wrong i was in PMs, that the lens was sharp.

In any case, with Jono returning the lens as well, i feel a little better.
Joe
Hi Joe
not crazy at all - I tell you what though, it's a really odd lens - sometimes it's sharp - and sometimes it isn't - the pictures above show this pretty clearly, the bottom one really is quite sharp enough, even to the corners, whereas the top one of the tree, shot at a smaller aperture, is much worse - and worse than that, there is a section quite near the centre (off centre slightly and upwards on the right) which is much softer than the rest of the lens.

I suspect with most of these lenses that if you get a good copy, then it can be really good, but that they don't make much effort (Pentax is certainly NOT alone here). My guess would be that they've done the cost / benefit analysis, and it more cost effective to send out variable lenses, in the knowledge that 9/10 poor lenses will never be returned.

all the best
HAPPY NEW YEAR

jonoslack

Party time.
All with the 18-135 at f4.5

first two at 12800 ISO:

This one was at 25600 - I didn't quite nail the focus, but it really was dark, and at least I got the shot! (all those elbows)

jonoslack

No weather to be testing a wide angle zoom!

This was taken with the Sigma 10-20 f3.5

16mm f8
dreary weather!

Diane B

Not good for testing but the results are lovely nonetheless.

The above came up after I had posted. Love it.

Diane

Bill Gordon

No weather to be testing a wide angle zoom!

This was taken with the Sigma 10-20 f3.5

16mm f8
dreary weather!
Wow!! It certainly was the weather that made that photo........gosh......I wish I could handle a DSLR again.....but no.....I will stick with the mu4/3rds......I have to say that back in the days in the early 1950s when I was behind the counter the Asahi Pentax 35mm single lens reflex camera was all the rage...the glass was great and better still the price was spot on!! I sold literally hundreds of them! Gosh, have they ever come around to producing a great Digital Camera!! And of course, Jono, you won't like this but you are selling it with your great photographic eye!!

HAPPY & HEALTHY NEW YEAR

scho

Thank you Diane
I'm trying to lure others into posting here . . . . . I won't give up!
:)
OK Jono, your beautiful images lured me in. I replaced my m43 cameras (except for the G1-IR) with the Pentax K5 as my travel kit. Couldn't resist the great build quality, weather sealing, small size, etc. Currently using the 35 2.8 macro ltd and 70 2.4 ltd. Here are a few from my first outing today with the K5 and 35 macro. SR, Auto ISO (standard option), and highlight correction were on for all shots. I still managed to lose a few shots to hand shake (it was cold) with the 1/80 at f/8 limit kicking in for auto iso so may have to switch to the fast option. So far I'm very pleased with the K5 and two ltd lenses and will probably add the 21 to my kit.

scho

A few snaps with the K5 and 70mm f/2.4 in a dimly lit restaurant. All at ISO 6400 and f/2.8 or f/2.4. Auto ISO "fast" mode.

scho

A few icy images from a walk along the creek. K5 with 35mm f/2.8 macro.

Melting ice

A two image stitch of a frozen stream cascading over a cliff.

A three image stitch of another frozen stream.

scho

Some shots taken on a brief trip to the Corning Glass Center and a stop in Watkins Glen on Seneca Lake on the way home. All with the K5 and 35mm f/2.8 macro. Auto ISO fast.

Glass Sculpture

Some periodic table elements used in the manufacture of glass

Ornate gilded bowl and crystal table

Chess anyone?

Embossed glass panel

Watkins Glen town pier

Brrr!

jonoslack

Hi Carl
Lots of great shots - the glassware is almost as over the top as Murano Glass, but the pictures along the creek are splendid, and the 6400 iSO shots are another example of why the camera is such a fine piece of kit.

Great Stuff - keep it up!