The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Rich M

after seeing some of the work above, I hesitate to even share these, but figured it's worth seeing what the K5, and old lens (135 mm f/2.5 K mount Manual focus lens) can do at a baseball game:

Ashwin......very nice B&W....great tonality.....and an action shot with manual focus. Not easy to achieve at all.

R

benroy

Subscriber Member
What a great treat for the eyes...thanks, Jono (the little boy), Jim (the attributes in glorious, swirling color), Rich (Nokton close-ups), and Ashwin (baseball BW with 135/2.5)...all on the same page! Wonderful stuff! Photo magazine editors should be green with envy.

Roy Benson

scho

K5 and the 77mm Ltd at Scarborough Faire, Waxahatchie, Texas.
I was trying to capture movement while keeping the dancer's face and uh...er... other attributes in focus.
Wonderful images Jim. They really do capture the spirit of the event.
after seeing some of the work above, I hesitate to even share these, but figured it's worth seeing what the K5, and old lens (135 mm f/2.5 K mount Manual focus lens) can do at a baseball game:
Ashwin,
Great B&W baseball series with the 135.

JMaher

Jim,
Just fantastic images - you captured the spirit of the dance with an image that is just fun to look at.

Ashwin, The baseball series with an old lens (in b&W) seems to take us back to an older time. Great shots.

Jim

benroy

Subscriber Member
Picked up a new 100/2.8 WR macro three days ago...it has been an adventure!
The K-5 is a perfect fit for my hands, and adding the 100 (which is smaller and lighter than the Sigma 70) makes a very nice handful. This is a very sharp lens...but the AF (as mentioned in Jono's posts) is a force to be reckoned width. There is no limiter switch on the lens, so the AF hunts wildly (and loudly) up and back.The AF drive is loud...like a dentist's drill right up to your face. So, as suggested, you manually focus into range and then do the AF for the finishing touches.Is it worth the trouble? The images it renders say yes, but it took about three days to get the hang of it on a consistent basis.

Here are examples of the first day's workout...I make no pretense that the images are anywhere near the quality seen on this thread...but they do demonstrate the high quality of the image. Later tonight I'll post pics demonstrating the lens' ability wide open as I tip-toe through the early morning dew.

The second image is the letter "P" on a fire hydrant.

Last edited:

JMaher

Your first set of 100 Macro shots look very good. I look forward to seeing more examples.

The 100 macro sounds like a great choice for this camera - weather sealed and light but I wonder how the Tamron 90 would fare. I borrowed a friends for use on a Canon body and it was equally great for macros and portraits. I once used it to shoot about 50 head shots of a chorus when another lens failed. I was very happy with the results at 2.8.

Jim

Ashwin, very sharp stuff. It does seem that the colors in the last couple of shots were a bit off.. I wasn't there so I can't really tell but they just don't look quite right to me..... everything else is amazingly sharp and well composed.

Thanks for the kind words on the Bellydancer.

I'm still studying these lenses and getting used to using them. I screwed up a number of shots because I forgot to change the ISO... the festival runs for a month so I have several weekends to return and try again.

scho

Picked up a new 100/2.8 WR macro three days ago...it has been an adventure!
The K-5 is a perfect fit for my hands, and adding the 100 (which is smaller and lighter than the Sigma 70) makes a very nice handful. This is a very sharp lens...but the AF (as mentioned in Jono's posts) is a force to be reckoned width. There is no limiter switch on the lens, so the AF hunts wildly (and loudly) up and back.The AF drive is loud...like a dentist's drill right up to your face. So, as suggested, you manually focus into range and then do the AF for the finishing touches.Is it worth the trouble? The images it renders say yes, but it took about three days to get the hang of it on a consistent basis.

Here are examples of the first day's workout...I make no pretense that the images are anywhere near the quality seen on this thread...but they do demonstrate the high quality of the image. Later tonight I'll post pics demonstrating the lens' ability wide open as I tip-toe through the early morning dew.

The second image is the letter "P" on a fire hydrant.
Roy,

Very nice set of macro images from the 100 WR. I continue to be impressed (and tempted) by the quality images this lens produces.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Carl and Jim, for the kind comments on Part I of the 100 WR macro set...here's the second set, all taken wide open (or nearly) at ISO 400 in heavy dew ("have you ever been to doo wah ditty?). Light was very subdued...around 8:00 AM...so there's no sparkle in the dew drops...but the lens is contrasty and brilliant enough to enhance the drops...

Roy Benson

Last edited:

jonoslack

Roy - smashing macros.
Rich - doing well with the Nokton - I used to have one for nikon, a nice lens.
Jim - love the dancer shots - and certainly mission was accomplished - looking forwards to more.
Ashwin - So - you can use the K5 for sport - excellent - especially the B&W shots.

Rich, Jorgen, Ashwin - thanks for the kind words.

Here are a couple from last night and today.

Walking to the pub last night the light was really strange . . . not to mention the field signs :)
60-250

This was on the kitchen table - 35 macro

here are some bugs on an Alexander (I think) head:
18-135

These two with the 18-135 are of reed cutters at Walberswick - we were in a hurry, I'd like to have spent longer there:

back to work - all the best to all!

JMaher

A few from today - a visit to an art show and a stroll around the pond.

It's way too sunny here!

A little break from a very large show.

Art - what art?

Jim

scho

Thanks, Carl and Jim, for the kind comments on Part I of the 100 WR macro set...here's the second set, all taken wide open (or nearly) at ISO 400 in heavy dew ("have you ever been to doo wah ditty?). Light was very subdued...around 8:00 AM...so there's no sparkle in the dew drops...but the lens is contrasty and brilliant enough to enhance the drops...

Roy Benson
Roy,
The macros are looking very good. Brilliant color and detail.
Here are a couple from last night and today.
Walking to the pub last night the light was really strange . . . not to mention the field signs :)
This was on the kitchen table - 35 macro
here are some bugs on an Alexander (I think) head:
18-135
These two with the 18-135 are of reed cutters at Walberswick - we were in a hurry, I'd like to have spent longer there:
back to work - all the best to all!
Jono,

Beautiful shots as usual. The close focus on the 18-135 comes in handy at times.
A few from today - a visit to an art show and a stroll around the pond.
It's way too sunny here!
Jim
Jim,

Very nice images and if the sun is getting you down too much come on up north to glumdon - we have been having marvelous gray, windy, wet, and cold days.:(

benroy

Subscriber Member
Again, thanks to all for your encouraging comments. Here is the last set of 100 macro WR pics...taken when I think I have the AF-MF sturm and drang under control. The red lilies are called Glory Lilies...and they are glorious...just began blooming. No apologies for the erogenous pine knots.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Rich M

Again, thanks to all for your encouraging comments. Here is the last set of 100 macro WR pics...taken when I think I have the AF-MF sturm and drang under control. The red lilies are called Glory Lilies...and they are glorious...just began blooming. No apologies for the erogenous pine knots.

Roy Benson
Roy.....you're nailing these shots. They look great.

R

Rich M

Random shots.....and random is a good thing......I feel like I am comfortable carrying the K-5 around everywhere.

Nokton.......R