Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 2763

Thread: Fun with the Pentax K5

  1. #151
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Great shots MPK. Your observations are pretty much the same as mine: the limiters are fine, but the real joy is to have a small, flexible, tough kit, and the 18-135 really fits the bill. Jorgen, unless you really need the wide end, the IS and crazy ISO 6400 makes the 16-50 seem rather unnecessary.

    I particularly like that second shot!
    You know, I don't really like standard zooms, but I have to admit that they are very convenient. But I like them sharp, and that is my problem. In many ways, you can say that a big part of my "next camera" decision boils down to that lens.

    The large aperture isn't just to keep ISO down, but to have some chance of isolating the subject now and then, when I'm to lazy to cough up a prime, or when there's simply no time available.

    Still, I have kept the door open for the K5, so I went to a camera shop today that sells that sells Pentax as well as Olympus. The E-5 is on its way, but not out in the shops yet. The K5... fasten your seat-belts... hasn't even been ordered by the distributor! Actually, if you go into www.pentax-thai.com, you will see that they list the following models as current: K10D, K7, K-X, K200D, I10 (don't ask me) and *istdl (chrome version). All camera shops that sells Pentax also has the K20D in stock. This would be fun if they were selling them for cheap, but most of those cameras are sold for prices that are almost at the same level as they were when they were launched. Thailand in a nutshell

    Sad, isn't it? Should I move to Malaysia?

    Edit: Just received a mail from my biggest client. They want larger files. Sounds like I need one of those Walkmen...

  2. #152
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Hi all

    Some interesting comments. My first digital cameras were the Minolta Dimage 7i and A1 which, at the time, I thought were technological marvels. Only 5MP of course but small, WYSIWYG EVF, 28-200mm equivalent zoom range. I took lots and lots of photos with those.

    Since then, I have oscillated back and forth between Pentax bodies and other EVF cameras. I thought I wanted an istDS, and I got one and enjoyed it. Then I missed the 'all in one solution' that my Minoltas offered, at a relatively low cost and the Sony R1 appeared. A legendary camera with a superb 24-120mm equivalent Zeiss lens.

    Then, somehow I was lured by the K20D and the magic of coming back to Pentax. Bear in mind that I already had some older Pentax glass, including the 43mm LTD. I didn't get on with the K20D, could never seem to get accurate exposure, and I couldn't 'see' what I was going to get though the OVF. I then went m4/3 with the Panasonic G1 and have been happy with that ... until just before Christmas, when I dusted off my K20D, put the 43mm LTD on it and went out to take some snow shots. I loved it, the OVF seemed clear, I was even able to manual focus easier than on the G1.

    Then the fuss with the K5 broke but the Panasonic GH2 was also available. It made more 'sense' to go for the latter but I was tempted by the K5. The cashback offer helped. I got one and it seemed a revelation. The OVF was clear and somehow drew me in to want to take photos, the pictures were better exposed than on the K20D. In fact the pictures just looked like the scene as I remembered it. The pictures displayed much more clearly on the LCD panel, ergonomically it just felt *right* ... etc. I was very impressed. Except many of my pictures were out of focus. So I exchanged it and went this time for the 18-135 lens, though I was still tempted by the GH2 and was changing my mind on which way to go several times a day!

    So, now I have had the K5 + 18-135 for just over a week and barely had chance to use it. Assuming it works out, maybe I now have my ideal all-in-one solution again, with the added benefit of being able to use the other lenses too if need be. With the 18-135 it doesn't feel as compact and is a little heavier than with the 18-55 but I didn't really notice it when I was out on a dreary day last Saturday.

    Out of curiosity I got my Sony R1 out and placed it side by side with the K5. Physically almost identical size, with zooms both at wide and extended ends. If anything the R1 isslightly larger because the viewfinder extends further at the back.

    This ramble doesn't prove anything much except perhaps that, at last, Pentax have a compact body with a good range compact zoom in a combination that may possibly give me the best image quality so far with the only comment being that the R1 does produce some great shots too!

    If I want to travel really 'light', perhaps I'll put the 43mm on, or maybe get the 21mm pancake in due course.

    I have yet to prove that this is my ideal camera of the moment in practice but I sure am looking forward to it!

    Thanks for all the great images and positive vibes in this thread!

    Lee

  3. #153
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    All the convincing reasons and all the great photos have proven too much for me. I have a K5, 18-135 and a 43 Ltd on order. I probably won't have much time to take many pictures until next week but I hope to contribute to this thread at that time.

    Thanks for all your photos and comparisons. I look forward to having a lighter, tougher, fun kit to take with me.

    Jim

  4. #154
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    46

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I particularly like that second shot!
    Thanks! Those shots with the 100 look great, both at close range and otherwise (the cold dog photo in particular).

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Nice shots MPK. You have certainly been getting more than enough snow down in the city this year.
    Indeed we have. Since I do not have to deal with the roads or shoveling, I must say it has been pretty fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Edit: Just received a mail from my biggest client. They want larger files. Sounds like I need one of those Walkmen...
    You will not be disappointed, especially if your priority is a sharp standard zoom. I was looking for something quite a bit smaller, but when I look back at some of the photos I took with the Sony . . . great camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    This ramble doesn't prove anything much except perhaps that, at last, Pentax have a compact body with a good range compact zoom in a combination that may possibly give me the best image quality so far with the only comment being that the R1 does produce some great shots too!
    It's a solid combination. For me the key feature is the weatherproofing. If compact plus high IQ is your priority, the next year or two should be fun as the options only multiply.

  5. #155
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Two walkabout shots with the K5+18-135

    Reflection


    Sharp


    One with the K5+55-300

    Birdwatching cat
    Carl
    Gallery

  6. #156
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    HI There Carl
    There's nothing like a teasel! Nice shots - the cat shot is good as well - how are you getting on with the 50-300? Impressions?

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  7. #157
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI There Carl
    There's nothing like a teasel! Nice shots - the cat shot is good as well - how are you getting on with the 50-300? Impressions?

    all the best
    Thanks Jono. The optics in the 55-300 seem to be quite good and zooming is smooth (no creep or wobble when extended). Auto focus is a bit slow and loud, but accurate. Mostly plastic construction, so not as solid feeling as the 18-135. I use the lens primarily for backyard birding and wildlife shots and it has performed well so far.
    Carl
    Gallery

  8. #158
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Rec'd my Camera

    The good - most of the photos are great. The camera fits in my hand beautifully and I love the small zoom (18-135) and the 43 Ltd is just fantastic. It's small it's sharp and looks like a work of art compared to my Canon lenses.

    Unfortunately, the bad will follow in another thread.

    I have attached a few quick snapshots. I am very impressed with the overall picture quality.





    Jim

  9. #159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Bad?

    !!!

  10. #160
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Bad?
    Here is his "bad" thread.

  11. #161
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    I got bored shooting bookshelves and went out for a walk with the K5 and 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited.

    River Birch
    Carl
    Gallery

  12. #162
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Well, I still don't have a K-5, although I intend to get one. I am really enjoying the shots in this thread and I hope no one minds my posting. I'm a big fan of the 18-55mm kit lens, I also am amazed at the color from the DS sensor. Out-of -camera jpeg:

  13. #163
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Some Pentax peppers. K5 with the 35mm f/2.8 macro limited, diffuse kitchen window light at ISO 6400.

    Carl
    Gallery

  14. #164
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Hey everyone, I've finally found some time to post. I've had the K5 for a good 2 weeks now, and decided on getting the FA 31 Limited as opposed to a set of lenses - so far it's not been limiting and I'm really enjoying the results (with both the lens and camera)

    I've been pretty lucky and haven't had any focusing issues or sensor stains (touch wood).

    St Martin's Birmingham


    IMGP0038.jpg by vincechu89, on Flickr

    Leaf from a fake plant


    IMGP0001.jpg by vincechu89, on Flickr

    ISO 80 Long exposure (think it was 30 seconds) I'm not sure why I shot at f14 (I need to get practicing my hyperfocal distances!) but love the corner sharpness of this lens.


    Untitled by vincechu89, on Flickr

    Self portrait of myself and Emily - blur probably because of camera shake or because the camera focused on the wrong area (I faced the camera towards us with my left hand and pushed the shutter button with the middle joint of my thumb!)


    IMGP0055.jpg by vincechu89, on Flickr

    I'm really liking what you can do with images in camera, from changing the jpg parameters to using the "in camera filter" effects (which have adjustable parameters too). This one's posterisation i think


    IMGP0145.jpg by vincechu89, on Flickr

    A friend smoking - I should have got him to pose with his mouth open so it looked like the bokeh was coming out of it ;-)


    IMGP0210.jpg by vincechu89, on Flickr

    ISO 6400! not too bad at all - looks like, or probably even better than ISO 800 on my old Panny G1


    IMGP0205.jpg by vincechu89, on Flickr

    Me by Emily, only cropped in Lightroom - love the rendition/colour from the camera + lens


    IMGP0244.jpg by vincechu89, on Flickr

    My nephew Sammy - I love how the 31mm's bokeh is smooth and it draws kind of 3d images, which kind of pop out of the screen. I'm trying to improve my "capturing the moment" and the K5's quick, accurate focusing really helps, especially with small children. I've noticed the 31mm is slightly slower than the 18-55 kit lens to focus, probably because it's heavier as it's solid metal


    IMGP0283.jpg by vincechu89, on Flickr

    Hope you all like the photos.

    Oh and thanks to everyone who helped me decide on the K5 and 31mm, I received some top advice here - thanks!
    Vince

  15. #165
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: ISO 6400

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Some Pentax peppers. K5 with the 35mm f/2.8 macro limited, diffuse kitchen window light at ISO 6400.
    Wow. I bet Pentax would love this one to promote high ISO capability.

  16. #166
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ISO 6400

    Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Wow. I bet Pentax would love this one to promote high ISO capability.
    Hi Michael,

    Yes, color holds up well at high ISO. This was processed in LR3 with no noise reduction and no saturation boost.
    Carl
    Gallery

  17. #167
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by vincechu View Post
    Hey everyone, I've finally found some time to post. I've had the K5 for a good 2 weeks now, and decided on getting the FA 31 Limited as opposed to a set of lenses - so far it's not been limiting and I'm really enjoying the results (with both the lens and camera)

    I've been pretty lucky and haven't had any focusing issues or sensor stains (touch wood).

    Hope you all like the photos.

    Oh and thanks to everyone who helped me decide on the K5 and 31mm, I received some top advice here - thanks!
    Hi Vince,

    Looks like you are enjoying the new K5 an 31 limited. The bokeh and sharpness of that 31 are really nice.
    Carl
    Gallery

  18. #168
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    I do most of my raw processing in LR3.3, but today I tried the new (6.1.1) version of C1 for comparison. I'm not used to the C1 environment, but liked some of the new tools. Here is a shot from today processed in both LR3.3 and C1. I used the keystoning tool in C1 to straighten the leaning sign post on the right in this image.

    C1


    LR3.3
    Carl
    Gallery

  19. #169
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Carl, Tsarnik, Vince and Jim - great shots . . . and welcome to the newcomers.
    This thread is gradually gaining momentum! (could it be that I've been busy elsewhere! )

    Not great weather in the uK at the moment, but I was trying to catch a little of the winter sunshine through the kitchen window to catch the tulips:


    K5 35 macro limited


    K5 Sigma 10-20 f4

    I put them on the floor to catch some sunshine there . . . and Caspar the dog thought he had something to contribute . . . .

    Still Life - by Caspar and Jono:


    K5 Sigma 10-20 f4

    Just this guy you know

  20. #170
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Carl, Tsarnik, Vince and Jim - great shots . . . and welcome to the newcomers.
    This thread is gradually gaining momentum! (could it be that I've been busy elsewhere! )

    Not great weather in the uK at the moment, but I was trying to catch a little of the winter sunshine through the kitchen window to catch the tulips:

    I put them on the floor to catch some sunshine there . . . and Caspar the dog thought he had something to contribute . . . .

    Still Life - by Caspar and Jono:

    K5 Sigma 10-20 f4
    Jono,

    Beautiful tulip shots with the Sigma 10-20 and my compliments to Caspar as well for his brilliant composition.
    Carl
    Gallery

  21. #171
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: M8

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Still Life - by Caspar and Jono:


    K5 Sigma 10-20 f4
    Brings back memories of the first M8's - the dreaded magenta blacks but only in the lower half of the shot. Does Caspar project a magenta shadow or is there another reason?

  22. #172
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: M8

    Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Brings back memories of the first M8's - the dreaded magenta blacks but only in the lower half of the shot. Does Caspar project a magenta shadow or is there another reason?
    Hi Michael - interesting point.
    Actually, I think it's just the lamb's nose - I was probably a little careless in raising the shadows here. I've not noticed any obvious IR sensitiviity with the camera, and even if this were actually evidence of it, it would be such unusual circumstances as to be irrelevant. Just imagine the light difference between the sunny wood and the shadow around the lamb.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  23. #173
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M8

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Michael - interesting point.
    Actually, I think it's just the lamb's nose - I was probably a little careless in raising the shadows here. I've not noticed any obvious IR sensitiviity with the camera, and even if this were actually evidence of it, it would be such unusual circumstances as to be irrelevant. Just imagine the light difference between the sunny wood and the shadow around the lamb.

    all the best
    Jono,

    Could this be the magenta cast issue in the latest version of the K5 profile in Aperture?
    Carl
    Gallery

  24. #174
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Finally some Devon sunshine ... nothing very arty but I think this camera returns some of the most 'film like' dynamic range I have seen on any of my digitals. All on 18-135mm. I did find a tendency to overexposure in sunshine, which is interesting - previous Pentaxes would underexpose, LOL. Most such overexposure was recoverable but I might dial in -0.3 next time. And I'm still not convinced they are as sharp as they could be, especially at the long end, I may try some AF adjustment tomorrow ...











    Lee

  25. #175
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    My K5 preplacement is here and while I took some snapshots in the garden I realized I really like the out of camera colr and tones
    I was also surprized how much alike the images came out regarding color compared to the S2.
    K5:

  26. #176
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: 18-135mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    All on 18-135mm.
    Lee. The more I see work done with this lens, even on top of Jono's positive writings on it, the more I'm amazed a long zoom like this can deliver such quality. Could you do us a little favour and tell us what aperture the first two were shot at? I imagine they were at the 18mm setting but the fact that even on web-sized jpegs I can make out individual trees on the horizon in the first image and separate branches at the far end of the second, both having good definition at the edges makes me think my 21mm and 70mm primes would be redundant as a travel kit with a K5.

  27. #177
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Finally some Devon sunshine ... nothing very arty but I think this camera returns some of the most 'film like' dynamic range I have seen on any of my digitals. All on 18-135mm. I did find a tendency to overexposure in sunshine, which is interesting - previous Pentaxes would underexpose, LOL. Most such overexposure was recoverable but I might dial in -0.3 next time. And I'm still not convinced they are as sharp as they could be, especially at the long end, I may try some AF adjustment tomorrow ...
    Lee
    Lee,
    Lovely countryside images. Everything looks so lush and springlike compared to our wintry landscape here.

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    My K5 preplacement is here and while I took some snapshots in the garden I realized I really like the out of camera colr and tones
    I was also surprized how much alike the images came out regarding color compared to the S2.
    K5:
    Tom,
    Beautiful shot and she appears to have had some fun playing outdoors. Pentax K5 colors are indeed very nice.
    Carl
    Gallery

  28. #178
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 18-135mm

    Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Lee. The more I see work done with this lens, even on top of Jono's positive writings on it, the more I'm amazed a long zoom like this can deliver such quality. Could you do us a little favour and tell us what aperture the first two were shot at? I imagine they were at the 18mm setting but the fact that even on web-sized jpegs I can make out individual trees on the horizon in the first image and separate branches at the far end of the second, both having good definition at the edges makes me think my 21mm and 70mm primes would be redundant as a travel kit with a K5.
    Michael,

    On my Mac EXIF data will be displayed by simply control/clicking on the image. Lee's first image was 18mm at f/11 and second was 36mm at f/11.
    Carl
    Gallery

  29. #179
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Hi Guys

    Oh good, so I am doing something right with my K5! Glad the pics are of help.

    Cheers

    Lee

  30. #180
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Finally some Devon sunshine ... nothing very arty but I think this camera returns some of the most 'film like' dynamic range I have seen on any of my digitals. All on 18-135mm. I did find a tendency to overexposure in sunshine, which is interesting - previous Pentaxes would underexpose, LOL. Most such overexposure was recoverable but I might dial in -0.3 next time. And I'm still not convinced they are as sharp as they could be, especially at the long end, I may try some AF adjustment tomorrow ...
    HI Lee
    Well - they look great to me - lovely shots, and there's certainly no sign of spring here in East Anglia - just grey and wet brrrrrr.

    Tom - glad you've got your camera back - I agree, the colour is similar to Leica.
    As for the sheep's nose - not the new profile, just poor post processing . . . on the other hand, with any other camera I've had that sheep would have had to stay in the shadows!

    Michael - the 18-135 is pretty much welded to my body, it's small as well, and satisfyingly well made into the bargain.

    Just this guy you know

  31. #181
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: EXIF

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    On my Mac EXIF data will be displayed by simply control/clicking on the image. Lee's first image was 18mm at f/11 and second was 36mm at f/11.
    Thanks Carl, good to know.

  32. #182
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 18-135mm

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    On my Mac EXIF data will be displayed by simply control/clicking on the image. Lee's first image was 18mm at f/11 and second was 36mm at f/11.
    With which browser is that and do you have any extra plugins installed? My Firefox does this, but it demands the FXIF plugin to work.


    As a second question to everybody owning the K-5 + 18-135mm combo. How well would that work as a single lens holiday camera? Meaning that while the lens isn't exactly fast, would the camera's high ISO compensate for that?

  33. #183
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 18-135mm

    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    With which browser is that and do you have any extra plugins installed? My Firefox does this, but it demands the FXIF plugin to work.


    As a second question to everybody owning the K-5 + 18-135mm combo. How well would that work as a single lens holiday camera? Meaning that while the lens isn't exactly fast, would the camera's high ISO compensate for that?
    Question 1:
    I'm using Safari Version 5.0.3 (6533.19.4), OS 10.6.6. Just noticed that there is an ExifExt extension installed for Safari: https://extensions.apple.com/#photos

    Question 2:
    I'm debating that very issue for my upcoming spring break holiday. I think that the K5's high ISO capability could probably handle the slow lens speed of the 18-135 for the types of low light scenarios I'm anticipating. My concern is street walking in a crowded environment with the zoom (relatively compact, but still an obvious zoom) compared to something more discrete like one of the limiteds. In terms of carry weight it is a toss up between the zoom and two or three small primes. Same for image quality.
    Last edited by scho; 19th February 2011 at 13:41. Reason: correction
    Carl
    Gallery

  34. #184
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: 18-135mm

    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    As a second question to everybody owning the K-5 + 18-135mm combo. How well would that work as a single lens holiday camera? Meaning that while the lens isn't exactly fast, would the camera's high ISO compensate for that?
    Hi There
    Yes - absolutely - if that focal length range floats your boat (I'd like a little wider as well). The fact that you can really shoot up to ISO 6400 makes the combination absolutely fine.

    I really can't imagine a better single lens combo - weather sealed, small, decent quality and really good fun to use.

    I've got several other lenses - all of them perfectly good, but they don't seem to get much of a look-in.

    Carl - thanks for the tip on the Safari extension - it was the work of a second, and thoroughly useful.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  35. #185
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Was I too hasty?

    I really do like what I see on this forum and it's obvious that most have not seen the obvious foucusing issues that I encountered.

    I am still looking for a samll carry around kit and I don't see too many options that appeal to me. I tried m 4/3, I have a nice Canon 5D2 but I want somethibg small that I am likely to take everywhere. Should I take another chance here or go with something like a used M8 and two lens option. Unfortunately I have never tried an M8 or M9.

    Jim

  36. #186
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: EXIF - Safari

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Question 1:
    I'm using Safari Version 5.0.3 (6533.19.4), OS 10.6.6. Just noticed that there is an ExifExt extension installed for Safari: https://extensions.apple.com/#photos
    Thanks Carl.
    However, despite having exactly the same Safari and OS versions and having "successfully" installed it i.e. it says it's installed correctly and I now have the EXIF addendum after the right click, no matter how many images I try it on nothing happens. AIMS (Am I missing something)?

  37. #187
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Was I too hasty?

    Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    I really do like what I see on this forum and it's obvious that most have not seen the obvious foucusing issues that I encountered.

    I am still looking for a samll carry around kit and I don't see too many options that appeal to me. I tried m 4/3, I have a nice Canon 5D2 but I want somethibg small that I am likely to take everywhere. Should I take another chance here or go with something like a used M8 and two lens option. Unfortunately I have never tried an M8 or M9.

    Jim
    Hi Jim
    I still think that the K5 with the 18-135 is the perfect small 'carry around' kit - it's about the same size as an M8 with a 50 summilux.

    So - if you liked the image quality, why not wait for a week or so to see if Pentax comes out with another firmware update . . . or else you could just try another camera to see if you had a duff one?

    I'm certainly not seeing issues with mine.

    Just this guy you know

  38. #188
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

  39. #189
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: EXIF - Safari

    Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Thanks Carl.
    However, despite having exactly the same Safari and OS versions and having "successfully" installed it i.e. it says it's installed correctly and I now have the EXIF addendum after the right click, no matter how many images I try it on nothing happens. AIMS (Am I missing something)?
    Hi Michael,

    When you control click on an image you should get a drop down menu with several options, including the Show EXIF for image xxxx option. When you select the show exif option a small, transparent, dark gray panel should display over the upper left corner of the image with a list of the exif data. You may have to wait a few seconds for it to appear.
    Carl
    Gallery

  40. #190
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    HI Lee
    Exactly - I love mine . . . . . and I'm not renowned for being patient with zoom lenses!

    Just pick it up off the kitchen table - grab the dog, and off you go - wonderful - no bag needed, rain no problem, IQ splendid. Great!

    Just this guy you know

  41. #191
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Jono

    It's been a bit dull here today so I am trying some shots at 135mm of some quite close objects like flower buds/leaves etc against clear backgrounds. All hand held but I have been varying the AF adjustment as I was convinced the lens was maybe front-focusing.

    After sending myself slightly crazy, the sharpest images are not consistently at any AF adjustment. Which suggests it is mostly my technique hand-holding a 200mm equivalent zoom. Even the mighty SR can't always help me be consistent at this FL.

    Anyway, sky is brightening up so I am off for a quick walk,

    Lee

  42. #192
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: EXIF - Safari

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    When you control click on an image you should get a drop down menu with several options, including the Show EXIF for image xxxx option. When you select the show exif option a small, transparent, dark gray panel should display over the upper left corner of the image with a list of the exif data. You may have to wait a few seconds for it to appear.
    Once again, thanks Carl. It must be that one has to restart the computer (or at least in my case this has been the solution) for this "upgrade" to work.
    Funny how the new 18-135 lens is called an "8 215" though.

  43. #193
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: EXIF - Safari

    Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Once again, thanks Carl. It must be that one has to restart the computer (or at least in my case this has been the solution) for this "upgrade" to work.
    Funny how the new 18-135 lens is called an "8 215" though.
    Glad that you have it working. The "8 215" designation for the 18-135 is strange. I'll have to check the developer's website to see if he has a newer version with bug fixes.
    Carl
    Gallery

  44. #194
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Snatched moments, all 135mm, f/8:

    Tips of two canoes resting against a barn



    Spring catkins



    Weird misty/cloudy light, time to go home



    Lee

  45. #195
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Snatched moments, all 135mm, f/8:

    Tips of two canoes resting against a barn
    Spring catkins
    Weird misty/cloudy light, time to go home
    Lee
    Lee,

    Nice, clear shots. I particularly liked the composition of the first with the canoes. No AF problems on this trip?
    Carl
    Gallery

  46. #196
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: EXIF - Safari

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Glad that you have it working. The "8 215" designation for the 18-135 is strange. I'll have to check the developer's website to see if he has a newer version with bug fixes.
    There is a newer version available on the website that offers a command-E alternative for bringing up the exif data, but I don't see any changes in the 18-135 info - still "8 215".
    Carl
    Gallery

  47. #197
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    A lampost outside the local park skating rink covered with tickets. K5 with the 21mm f/3.2 Limited.

    Carl
    Gallery

  48. #198
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Lee,

    Nice, clear shots. I particularly liked the composition of the first with the canoes. No AF problems on this trip?
    Hi Carl

    Thanks. Oddly they seemed better, the catkins picture particularly well-focused. I was resting on the wall of a bridge at the time but what might be more relevant - I noticed later that I had switched off SR in earlier testing and forgotten to switch it back on again. I would need to try this some more to know whether pictures being better without SR was a fluke or not.

    BTW, Carl, for the shots you have uploaded here, did you use a tripod or were they all hand held?

    Lee

  49. #199
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    As I said, I would not want to start a 'SR causes blurry photos' thread but I do wonder what SR is doing. It is known that it is 'less effective' when the subject is closer but 'less effective' shouldn't mean 'makes it worse'. I use central point AF and my shooting style, ingrained after years of cameras with no SR is to depress the shutter half way to focus on the object I want to be sharp, then keep the shutter half-pressed, recompose, still keeping it half pressed whilst I wait to convince myself the camera is steady, then shoot.

    Question is - what is SR doing all the time I have the shutter half pressed? Even if this is not my cause of 'less than perfect' shots, I'd like to know anyway.

    Lee

  50. #200
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Hi Carl

    Thanks. Oddly they seemed better, the catkins picture particularly well-focused. I was resting on the wall of a bridge at the time but what might be more relevant - I noticed later that I had switched off SR in earlier testing and forgotten to switch it back on again. I would need to try this some more to know whether pictures being better without SR was a fluke or not.

    BTW, Carl, for the shots you have uploaded here, did you use a tripod or were they all hand held?

    Lee
    All of my shots with the K5 have been hand held, with SR on.
    Carl
    Gallery

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •