The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

benroy

Subscriber Member
Knorp: very nice images...the 77 is a magical lens, is it not? And your 16-50 pics provide some hope that someone got a sharp copy of this lens. Did you manually focus or AF on the flower close-ups?

Roy Benson

benroy

Subscriber Member
Supporting the idea that the 77/1.8 FA is a magical lens (brilliant, sharp, nice bokeh)...just picked up one and here are some early examples:

Roy Benson

Last edited:

JMaher

Korp - beautiful 77 shots especially the last one with the white flowers.

Roy - have to agree with Rich - the Glory Lillies look just as good here as they did with the 200.

Arlo - beautiful saturated colors.

Jim

woodyspedden

Supporting the idea that the 77/1.8 FA is a magical lens (brilliant, sharp, nice bokeh)...just picked up one and here are some early examples:

Roy Benson
I find the 77 to be one of my "go to" lenses. In fact the 31FA and the 43FA are special lenses as well. These, plus my Zeiss ZK 50 Macro for close ups and the 200 SDM are now my full kit. I will be returning the 55 SDM, which is a really nice lens, because the Zeiss is better, even at infinity and of course has the macro function

Woody

Knorp

@Rich, Carl, Jim and Roy: thanks guys !
All shots with AF, have to try MF yet :eek:

The FA77 in silver is a lovely lens.
Too bad it only focuses down to 70 cm, f.i. the DA*16-50 gets as close as 30 cm.
But honestly, I have to admit that some Pentax primes have a certain allure to them :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

Knorp

Roy Benson
Roy, these are looking great and very encouraging.
But first I have to explore my DA*16-50 a little more before I go full swung with the FA77.

All the best.

Knorp

Hi there Ario,

Of course the 35 macro shots are fine, what an excellent all-round lens, but I found your first shot very interesting.
How do you like that UWA 12-24 zoom ?

All the best.

Hi Knorp,
even though I'm not really a fan of zoom lens, I find the 12-24 a very good compromise betetweeen IQ, compactness and versatility.
In summary for me is a keeper.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Dew on the roses with the 100WR...I'm nearing 80, but I still find manual focusing with some bobbing and weaving in and out works best for me in these tight close-ups... AF on the 100 macro is too cranky...but the bobbing and weaving is worth it...the lens is very sharp.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Knorp

@Roy: excellent shots, nothing beats dew on flowers.
Coming from Leica M, I'm used to manual focusing and the "bobbing and weaving" method.
For close-ups&macro it might proof the best option.

@Esch: the output of that lens is certainly looking good.

@Ario: good action shot with that DA*16-50, how's your copy ?

Kind regards.

Knorp

Hi Knorp,
even though I'm not really a fan of zoom lens, I find the 12-24 a very good compromise betetweeen IQ, compactness and versatility.
In summary for me is a keeper.
Ario, the weakness of (U)WA lenses is most of the time to be found in the corners.
Any comment on the 12-24 in that regard ?

Thank you.

Knorp,
the lens I used for this shot is the 60-250, quite heavy but good performer.
I have also the 16-50 but I'm not really satisfied with it, quite soft specially in the corners up to 4-5.6.
I dont know if this is a problem with my sample only but this is what I've found.
The 12-24, on the contrary, for me is OK also in the corners
Cheers,