Site Sponsors
Page 45 of 56 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,250 of 2763

Thread: Fun with the Pentax K5

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    Re: Jim's giant locomotive pic. I have to agree with Elliot that the color version provides more punch than the black and white...I think the black and white version was done a disservice by the transfer to jpeg and GetDPI's rendering of the image. I took the liberty of copying (forgive me, please, Jim) the b&w image to my Mac monitor and the image revealed all the punch (deeper blacks, better contrast) that Jim intended when he sent the image. No matter...it's a great pic either way. And I have deleted my copy of the image.

Roy Benson
    Looking at the photos you can see Jim had to shoot the shadow site of the locomotive. Bet he had to deploy a fair amount of shadow recovery.
    Not to mention the extremely high contrast light making it very difficult to get black paint looking good.
    Mind you, in the steam era manufacturers used to paint their new machines in grey tones for the photo shoot.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Beautiful Jim.....the B+W is exemplary.

+ 1!

Love the B&W version, beautiful shot. Thanks for the link, if I make it back to the Dallas area I will have to swing by Frisco to see the Museum of American Railroad, it looks like a great place to visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just and FYI.... I am working with a crappy monitor... upgrade is on the bucket list.. until then I have to work with this boat anchor.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

You certainly should treat yourself to a new high-quality monitor to fully enjoy your incredible photographic art (and others in this forum)!

Elliot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    Jim,

You certainly should treat yourself to a new high-quality monitor to fully enjoy your incredible photographic art (and others in this forum)!

Elliot
    Trust me.. I've been looking but unfortunately I have a few things that are of a higher priority. Maybe if I sell some of my camera gear I can upgrade.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Star Tree - Night Photography

Just got back from an all-nighter in Medicine Mound, Texas.. not a bonafide Dark Sky area but close enough for me to enjoy staying up to 3am in the morning shooting the night sky. The Milky Way was huge and very bright.. this is the first shot I have worked on from the trip. By the way, it was 107 degrees there today. Thankfully the night was much cooler.

K5 IIs & DA* 16-50
    20 secs @ f/2.8 ISO 800

I was also fortunate enough to capture a meteor as I was photographing the Milky Way. It pulsed twice during entry into the atmosphere before it burned out. You can see the two pulses in the trail it left in this photo.

While shooting the Milky Way at Medicine Mound (you can see the mounds in the background) my friend began walking back to our location in the field and turned on his LED flashlight to find his way back... right into the lens of the K5 IIs.. the result was a pretty cool looking photo.

And one more to add to the set. This is probably my favorite of the photos I took at Medicine Mound. I positioned myself in a field so that the Milky Way was rising between the mounds. The bit of light pollution at the base of the Milky Way actually enhances the shot a bit.. but on the other hand it is a clear reminder of how we are polluting the night sky.

Last edited by Jim Radcliffe; 1st September 2013 at 09:27. Reason: Added second photo.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The second shot is just extraordinary!

Post Thanks / Like

FA43 f=2,2 K5(Mk1)
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, mooching around the Cardiff Bay area with theK5 + 17-50 & 70-200 Tamron's.
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Last edited by MalcolmP; 24th May 2014 at 00:25.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Object only for the K5-iis with DA*300mm and not for the Nikkor

Trygve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got lucky again... Meteor & Milky Way

I spent all of Friday evening and early Saturday morning (about 3am) shooting from various locations in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma. I met a rancher not long ago and asked permission to shoot on his property... very rugged property. He gave me permission and this is one of many shots taken during the night in the Wichita Mountains. To the best of my knowledge, no one had ever photographed the night sky from this vantage point.

I was painting the rock formation with light from a flashlight and the meteor showed up in the last 10 seconds of my exposure.. very lucky.

Pentax K5 IIs with the DA* 16-50mm Post work in Photoshop CS6.

Note, some have suggested that the blue tint/cast should be corrected. I do not desire to do so. I am not trying to be scientific here. I just like the way this looks, accurate or not. WB was set to Tungsten due to light pollution from Fort Sill and Lawton, OK.

Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

The butterfly (above, on the lens) is a Mourning Cloak. It does NOT nectar. Instead, it dines on sap emitted by damaged shrubs and tree cambium. It over-Winters snuggled under tree bark and can survive sub-zero (F) temps. In the Spring it will emerge when the air is warm (say, 60F+), even though snow may still be on the ground. Seeing a butterfly with no flowers, but with snow, can be quite a surprise. It's a sure sign Spring is about to pop. Also, it's not unusual for these butterflies to land on dark clothing. They are looking for salt, and if undisturbed, they will stay for quite a while.

Consider its visit "Good Luck" for the coming year.
    Cheers... M

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I got lucky again... Meteor & Milky Way

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    I spent all of Friday evening and early Saturday morning (about 3am) shooting from various locations in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma. I met a rancher not long ago and asked permission to shoot on his property... very rugged property. He gave me permission and this is one of many shots taken during the night in the Wichita Mountains. To the best of my knowledge, no one had ever photographed the night sky from this vantage point.

I was painting the rock formation with light from a flashlight and the meteor showed up in the last 10 seconds of my exposure.. very lucky.

Note, some have suggested that the blue tint/cast should be corrected. I do not desire to do so. I am not trying to be scientific here. I just like the way this looks, accurate or not. WB was set to Tungsten due to light pollution from Fort Sill and Lawton, OK.

Great shot, Jim. I like the foreground context and the immensity of the night sky.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K5IIs with DA* 200mm and 300mm.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Some excellent observations and captures, Trygve.
    Especially the dragonfly in flight is pretty cool.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Some excellent observations and captures, Trygve.
    Especially the dragonfly in flight is pretty cool.

Kind regards.
    The dragonfly was not so easy to get in focus (fast flyer). I have to use on the 200mm with the manual focus and the af(confirm) in the viewfinder.

Trygve

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

5IIs with 300/4.5 FA...can't compete with the wonderful butterfly and dragonfly pics...and Jim's night sky images...but provides a record of the capabilities of a very nice, able to be hand-held lens.

Roy Benson
    Last edited by benroy; 19th December 2014 at 08:17.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good these shots with the 300/4.5, Roy.
    Hope you can catch us another one of those wonderful lizards living in your neighbourhood.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One more: Milky Way Rising

Taken with the K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50. ISO 1600 15 sec exposure.

I have to say that I am hooked on this night sky photography. This is my fourth outing and what I enjoy most is the peace and quiet of these remote locations and the blanket of stars over my head. For those who have not tried this, do yourself a favor and venture out into the night under a dark sky.. the photography is only half of the fun.

Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

More 300/4.5FA w/K5IIs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems like a very small universe of K5 folks here. I was wondering why there are not more frequent posts and photos regarding this camera. The obvious answer is market share but then again other Pentax forums seem to have a bit more "life" stirring.

Anyone have any insight as to the low population here?
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems like a very small universe of K5 folks here. I was wondering why there are not more frequent posts and photos regarding this camera. The obvious answer is market share but then again other Pentax forums seem to have a bit more "life" stirring.

Jim:

There may be fewer K-5 users than some other cameras, but I suspect a lack of posts has more to do with the age of the camera than anything else. The K-5 forum was quite active when the camera was new and the K-5II is not different enough. Look at the Canon forum; surely a larger user base, but no new posts for 2 days as I write this. The Nikon forum is very active, but the D800 is still fairly recent.
    For whatever reason, equipment always seems to generate the most posts and this forum is organized based on the camera used. As the equipment ages there is not much more to say, except for the Leica forum 

Anyway, love your work and the colors you get from the K5, so please keep posting.

Tom

PS. I haven't used my K5 for awhile, but my wife picks it up sometimes. She is not a photographer and claims to know nothing about the process; nonetheless, she seems to know where to stand and when to press the shutter. Example attached which I find very mysterious and is certainly nothing I would have seen.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the "low population" of K5 users and K5 postings...it's not the quantity, but the quality of the posts...as long as Bart, Jim, Trygve, Vladimir, Seekayaker, and Rich M are posting their images, the quality remains outstanding...no matter the quantity. My apologies to any other first rate people that I may have overlooked in my comments.I look forward to the postings each day, knowing that my day is going to be brightened by someone's fine images.

Roy Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Part of what tsjanik said. Look at the thread and look at the posters at the beginning. Look at how many "upgraded." After that they "upgraded" twice again. And a lot of them will "upgrade" in 6-8 months *again*.

You stuck with the K-5 or variant. That's the difference. I still have my K-5 but I am going to sell it in favor for the Fuji system, but I don't think nor see the K-5 is a bad DSLR at all, just a matter of matching personal preferences.

And I thought I would stop shooting with the Q but the opposite is happening.

-= Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

A few from me from a recent trip to the Isle of Harris in the Hebrides.
    Beautiful place in every way and I shall go back there for sure!
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmP View Post
    A few from me from a recent trip to the Isle of Harris in the Hebrides.
    Beautiful place in every way and I shall go back there for sure!
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Really like 1,4

Post Thanks / Like

I spent all of Friday evening and early Saturday morning (about 3am) shooting from various locations in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma.
    Hi Jim. I'm thinking to get something like 16-50. Can you tell me, are you happy with this lens? 18-55 AL II often upset me.
    Thank you

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

B&W clouds: 50-135/K5IIs...all taken within 30 minutes of one another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirYo View Post
    Hi Jim. I'm thinking to get something like 16-50. Can you tell me, are you happy with this lens? 18-55 AL II often upset me.
    Thank you
    Yes, I am quite happy with the 16-50.. it seems I use it more than any other lens I own. The AF motor failed on me but has been repaired and no problems in over a year now. Just wish it was 10-50mm Sometimes I really need to go wider.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Part of what tsjanik said. Look at the thread and look at the posters at the beginning. Look at how many "upgraded." After that they "upgraded" twice again. And a lot of them will "upgrade" in 6-8 months *again*.

You stuck with the K-5 or variant. That's the difference. I still have my K-5 but I am going to sell it in favor for the Fuji system, but I don't think nor see the K-5 is a bad DSLR at all, just a matter of matching personal preferences.

And I thought I would stop shooting with the Q but the opposite is happening.

-= Ricardo
    I have had better results from my K5 IIs than then Canon 5D and MK II variant. While I also own and use the X-Pro1 I find the K5 IIs to be my go to camera 90% of the time.

I use the X-Pro1 when I want to travel light. I still wish the AF were snappier on the X-Pro1. It's just not there yet and neither is the EVF. I still prefer looking through a lens rather than looking at an EVF.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Jim:

There may be fewer K-5 users than some other cameras, but I suspect a lack of posts has more to do with the age of the camera than anything else. The K-5 forum was quite active when the camera was new and the K-5II is not different enough. Look at the Canon forum; surely a larger user base, but no new posts for 2 days as I write this. The Nikon forum is very active, but the D800 is still fairly recent.
    For whatever reason, equipment always seems to generate the most posts and this forum is organized based on the camera used. As the equipment ages there is not much more to say, except for the Leica forum 

Anyway, love your work and the colors you get from the K5, so please keep posting.

Tom
    Tom, you are probably right. I can't find much fault with the K5 IIs so I will be sticking with it for a while. I guess GearHeads abound on most of these forums.. I'm just more into the photography than the gear.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sunset on the Texas Prairie

Took this two weeks ago and just getting around to working on it a bit. The usual combo: Pentax K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50.

It was beautiful out there on the prairie in west Texas. Sun was setting, a gentle breeze and a quiet you never experience in the city.

May be a little dark, I'm still stuck with this crappy monitor. It always looks right here but when I view on my monitor at work it always seems dark.

Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

scary picture

FA 43 f=3,5 1/2000 K5

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lawn guys pile up trash for Thursday AM pickup...neighbors stop and stare as I snap my way through the pile. Sigma 70/2.8 macro w/K5IIs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's amazing what the world has to offer when you... Look Closer. I like these.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    Lawn guys pile up trash for Thursday AM pickup...neighbors stop and stare as I snap my way through the pile. Sigma 70/2.8 macro w/K5IIs.
    May I suggest to aim for your neighbours next time ...
    Still, you make the best out of your surroundings.
    Keep going, Roy

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Not one for the vegetarians perhaps
    K5 + Tamron 17-50 f2.8.
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Impressive image of an impressive animal, Malcolm.
    I like the processing, too.

All the very best.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

From the harbour ...

View on the TATA steelworks.

Wished I was on that ferry to Newcastle (upon Tyne) on my way to Scotland.
    Bart ...

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Trash pile revisited...looking for the little red flowers. Tucked into the cuttings were clusters of little red flowers surrounded by red buds...all battered and torn, but with eye-catching color. All with 70/2.8 Sigma macro and 5KIIs.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

| APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/100mm |
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post

| APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/100mm |
    Beautiful shot... and I am not a "flower guy".. I was a "flower child"... but this one really drew me in.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clouds: very early today...rapidly moving cirrus (ice crystal) clouds, replacing yesterday's thunder boomer (cumulonimbus) clouds. Thunder boomer clouds are typical here in South Florida this time of the year...being moved out by fast moving cirrus clouds is indicative of a change in the weather...hopefully a bit cooler and dryer. 50-135 w/5KIIs..Converted from color to PS BW IR or red filter. You can see the moon, as it sets in the western sky, peeking out in pic #4 (right side).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful shot... and I am not a "flower guy".. I was a "flower child"... but this one really drew me in.
    Thank you, Jim !

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hot color at El Taco Loco...77/1.8 with 5KIIs.
    Last edited by benroy; 19th December 2014 at 08:16.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

More hot color: 77 (3,4) 200 (1,2) w/K5IIs
    Last edited by benroy; 19th December 2014 at 08:16.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

. . . . . a venture out for some night photography.

Pentax K5IIs ~ 55/1.4 ~ ISO 100 ~ 25 sec ~ F5.6

with wind and ground shake from train . . . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I took this shot a few weeks ago and overlooked it until tonight. It was taken at the entry to a corral near Fort Griffin, Texas with the Pentax K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50mm. Post work was done in Lightroom and Photoshop CS6.

Any suggestions on how to get a better quality image would be appreciated. This a 20 second exposure at f/2.8 ISO 1600. I am still bothered by the amount of noise at these settings. Don't know a thing about stacking and my only logical conclusion would be to use a faster lens at a lower ISO. Am I wrong?

Noise reduction programs such as that in Topaz DeNoise and the noise reduction feature of Lightroom seem to blur details a bit too much for my taste.

I've just begun shooting the night sky in the last two months so I am sure there are tips and tricks I am unaware of.. share your secrets if you feel the urge.

Even at 20 seconds there are minute star trails, not all that noticeable unless you really pixel peep but short of using some kind of tracking mount I feel the best solution would be a faster lens.

I've seen similar shots in which the colors ranged anywhere from blue to almost red, I guess that is a personal choice and sometimes a result of ambient light from man made light pollution and atmospherics.

Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim it sounds like you could use the Pentax GPS unit. It includes a program Astrotracker which moves the sensor to track star movement. I haven't used it but here's a discussion thread:

Pentax Forum - Camera & Photography Community - PentaxForums.com

As for noise reduction, I'd try a luminosity mask, e.g., on a PC in PS, Ctrl-Alt-2 will select all the bright areas (stars); Ctrl-i inverts the selection allowing you to apply NR to only the dark areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Jim it sounds like you could use the Pentax GPS unit. It includes a program Astrotracker which moves the sensor to track star movement. I haven't used it but here's a discussion thread:

Pentax Forum - Camera & Photography Community - PentaxForums.com

As for noise reduction, I'd try a luminosity mask, e.g., on a PC in PS, Ctrl-Alt-2 will select all the bright areas (stars); Ctrl-i inverts the selection allowing you to apply NR to only the dark areas.
    Thanks for the tip on the noise reduction technique.. I will give it a try. I didn't think of handling the issue that way.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com