Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 2763

Thread: Fun with the Pentax K5

  1. #201
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    All of my shots with the K5 have been hand held, with SR on.
    Me too - actually, that's not quite true, I have turned SR off on a couple of occasions when I was using continuous focus and fast shutter speeds. Not sure that it made any difference one way or another though!.

    Nice pictures Lee - I like the canoes as well.
    Carl - your modern day totem pole is great!

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  2. #202
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    The following taken with Manual focus 28mm 3.5 lens, ISO 800, 1/160th sec, aperture probably about f/8.

    Processed in RPP (Mac only: http://raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html) to TIFF, then converted to JPG via Lightroom.



    Lee

  3. #203
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    The following taken with Manual focus 28mm 3.5 lens, ISO 800, 1/160th sec, aperture probably about f/8.

    Processed in RPP (Mac only: http://raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html) to TIFF, then converted to JPG via Lightroom.



    Lee
    Looks fine Lee nice picture - is that a pentax lens?

    Just this guy you know

  4. #204
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Looks fine Lee nice picture - is that a pentax lens?
    Jono

    Yes, old manual focus M lens:

    http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...F3.5-Lens.html

    You need to press the green button to do stop-down metering ...

    Lee

  5. #205
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Jono

    Yes, old manual focus M lens:

    http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...F3.5-Lens.html

    You need to press the green button to do stop-down metering ...

    Lee
    Looks like this lens works well with the K5. I like the 28mm focal length on APS-C, but it is a gap in the current DA Pentax prime lens series. Thought about picking up one from KEH.
    Carl
    Gallery

  6. #206
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    No sign of spring yet around here. K5 with DA 55-300.

    Carl
    Gallery

  7. #207
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Carl

    Lovely shot. Plus 12 degrees C in Devon, UK today, though some local wacky farmer reckons we will have more snow in March ( I think it's something to do with the berries or lack of)!

    Lee

  8. #208
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Carl

    Lovely shot. Plus 12 degrees C in Devon, UK today, though some local wacky farmer reckons we will have more snow in March ( I think it's something to do with the berries or lack of)!

    Lee
    Thanks Lee. Your local farmer may not be so wacky the way the weather has been developing recently. We have been having frequent storms with increasing intensity the past few weeks.

    This shot is OT for this forum but is another snow shot from today using the Pentax DA 18-135 on a Panasonic G1 via an adapter. Works well, but strictly manual focus and aperture setting.

    Carl
    Gallery

  9. #209
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Somehow that looks so much nicer in a photo compared to looking out of the window. Especially the last one is beautifully two-tone graphic. Looks B&W even though it's probably not(?).

  10. #210
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Somehow that looks so much nicer in a photo compared to looking out of the window. Especially the last one is beautifully two-tone graphic. Looks B&W even though it's probably not(?).
    Agree - even though this was shot through a window this morning. The G1 was an IR converted camera and the image file was processed in LR3 with B&W conversion using the SilverEfexPro2 plugin.
    Carl
    Gallery

  11. #211
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Hey, just noticed you posted this in the K-5 thread!

    But - semi-on-topic - all you K-5 picture posters - I curse you! I just ended up pre-ordering a silver one because of all the K-5 pictures you've posted here! I hope they manage to get rid of all the teething problems before that model comes. Some sources say it'll come in March. "My" store says April to May and don't know how many they'll get. Hopefully there's one for me...

  12. #212
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    It isn't really possible to see the whole image quality from web sized versions, but I gotta admit that the K-5 pictures in this thread ooze something that I'm more used to seeing in FF 35mm sensor pictures - some sort of cleanliness? The combination of high resolution and low noise?

  13. #213
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    It isn't really possible to see the whole image quality from web sized versions, but I gotta admit that the K-5 pictures in this thread ooze something that I'm more used to seeing in FF 35mm sensor pictures - some sort of cleanliness? The combination of high resolution and low noise?
    Yes and great dynamic range for good tonality. Hope you enjoy your silver K5.
    Carl
    Gallery

  14. #214
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Possible Good News on Focus Issue

    I have attached a link to the PentaxForums site with a little info on a rumored fix for the focusing issues. I would love to see this fixed as I agree the photos form this camera have something special about them and the camera has much to recommend it from a size, weatherproofing, and interesting lenses perspective. I have seen many a great photo posted on this thread.

    http://www.pentaxforums.com/Good-news-for-K-5-owners

    Jim

  15. #215
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Possible Good News on Focus Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    I have attached a link to the PentaxForums site with a little info on a rumored fix for the focusing issues. I would love to see this fixed as I agree the photos form this camera have something special about them and the camera has much to recommend it from a size, weatherproofing, and interesting lenses perspective. I have seen many a great photo posted on this thread.

    http://www.pentaxforums.com/Good-news-for-K-5-owners

    Jim
    Jim,

    Thanks for the update on a possible firmware fix for the AF issue. Hope they can get this out soon to satisfy those having problems with the K5 AF.
    Carl
    Gallery

  16. #216
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Just playing with the new SilverEfex2 plugin for LR. The local adjustment features are really nice using control points. I applied some selective natural color restoration to the building in this B&W conversion. K5 with 15mm limited.

    Carl
    Gallery

  17. #217
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Carl,

    Beautiful photo and great selective coloring.

    Now I am not only waiting to see if Pentax fixes the focusing issue but I may have to buy a new software package to experiment with before then.

    Jim

  18. #218
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    16-50 @50mm f:2.8

  19. #219
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Some more ...



    and



    Lee

  20. #220
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5


  21. #221
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    It's gone a bit quiet in this thread lately ...

    Nothing arty but here's a couple from a trip to Exmoor yesterday.

    I was quite impressed with this one turned out, 18-135mm at 135mm, hand held on a cold and windy day, ISO 200, 1/320th sec f11



    and one from the Exmoor Pony centre (48mm, 1/100th sec, f8):



    Lee

  22. #222
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    This one was taken at 78mm. I see some vignetting around this focal length, which seems odd. Anyway, it was easily corrected here using the Lightroom profile for the 18-135mm lens by enabling it within the Lens Correction section of the Develop view. 1/250th sec, f8, ISO 100.



    Lee

  23. #223
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Looks like we're running out of steam perhaps here? ;-) I have to admit I've been really busy with assignments at university (its my final year) so i haven't had much time to take photos.

    I really like Carl's (Scho) post #216, the selective color photo is really nice, I like how the composition guides you towards the building - good job!

    Lee I really like the 1st photo (the landscape) in #219 - I think you should try to revisit that spot when the sky is more blue and clear - I think it would potentially make a very striking view.
    Vince

  24. #224
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Here's two from me, taken with the kit 18-55 WR:

    Myself....

    IMGP0552 by vincechu89, on Flickr

    taken by my girlfriend Emily...

    IMGP0550 by vincechu89, on Flickr

    I know there's flare there, but not too unsightly i think, I had the hood on but the sun was quite intense and only just out of the frame.
    Vince

  25. #225
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Nice K5 work Sapphie and Vince. I took a week off to get away from the nasty late winter weather. We went to Puerto Rico and stayed in a little beach hotel outside of San Juan at Ocean Park. I posted a few touristy type shots at the link below. Took the K5 with 3 primes (15, 35, 70) that worked out well for this trip.

    Puerto Rico

    Carl
    Gallery

  26. #226
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Wow a very beautiful set of photos, I love the ocean park beach one the most which you've posted above too. Absolutely stunning, well done.

    Just out of interest did u edit the colours in pp? They're stunning, exactly how I want mine to come out

    Looks like the 3 primes worked very well. I'm considering selling my 31ltd for the 15 and 35macro as I feel I've limited myself by spending so much on one lens, and the other 2 are much lighter.

    I hope u had a great time away, very jealous of u as I've been stuck writing assignments indoors
    Last edited by vincechu; 9th March 2011 at 17:23. Reason: spelling correction
    Vince

  27. #227
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by vincechu View Post
    Wow a very beautiful set of photos, I love the ocean park beach one the most which you've posted above too. Absolutely stunning, well done.

    Just out of interest did u edit the colours in pp? They're stunning, exactly how I want mine to come out

    Looks like the 3 primes worked very well. I'm considering selling my 31ltd for the 15 and 35macro as I feel I've limited myself by spending so much on one lens, and the other 2 are much lighter.

    I hope u had a great time away, very jealous of u as I've been stuck writing assignments indoors
    Thanks Vince. No color adjustments, just standard processing of raws in Lightroom. We really enjoyed our stay in PR but came back to 18 inches of snow that fell the day before we returned.
    Carl
    Gallery

  28. #228
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    I feel like I've been transported to Siberia after a week in sunny Puerto Rico. At least we are now in thaw mode. The winter ice dome beneath the falls has finally collapsed and the snow pack is melting. Shot of Taughannock Falls taken in the rain today with K5 + 18-135, three image stitch.

    Carl
    Gallery

  29. #229
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    ...and here I am complaining that 9 degrees celsius is cold!

    Carl a very interesting photo and a nice stitch. I like the drama in the waterfall and around the bottom of it. It would be interesting to see a photo without the trees to the left (though i don't know the area, so it may not be possible) as they seem to distract me away from the waterfall.

    The 18-135mm is looking a very sharp lens, and perfect for a walk around in those conditions - have to say I'm very tempted to get one myself, though I'm put off by the fairly high price. How does it feel on the K5?
    Vince

  30. #230
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Forgot to mention that firmware 1.03 is out for the K5, which promises to fix FF. Hope this concludes all the QC issues for pentax which has surely put off a lot of potential buyers
    Vince

  31. #231
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by vincechu View Post
    ...and here I am complaining that 9 degrees celsius is cold!

    Carl a very interesting photo and a nice stitch. I like the drama in the waterfall and around the bottom of it. It would be interesting to see a photo without the trees to the left (though i don't know the area, so it may not be possible) as they seem to distract me away from the waterfall.

    The 18-135mm is looking a very sharp lens, and perfect for a walk around in those conditions - have to say I'm very tempted to get one myself, though I'm put off by the fairly high price. How does it feel on the K5?
    Thanks Vince. In the winter season the upper overlook to the falls is barricaded to prevent people from falling off the cliff. I can get a zoomed shot like below that excludes most of the trees (growing out of the side of the cliff), but still not as good as summer/fall shots where I can get right up next to the drop off for a wider view that excludes the trees. Falls height is 215 ft from crest to pool surface (one of the highest free falls east of the rockies).

    Carl
    Gallery

  32. #232
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Wow Carl, I really like the black and white version without the trees. I feel the composition is better as it draws us in to the bottom of the falls and keeps our attention there better - well done!

    Just installed firmware 1.03, though I didnt notice much, if any, FF with my K5. Overall I feel it locks on focus much quicker and decisively, both phase detect and contrast detect AF. Weather permitting, I hope to get out and around my university campus to take some photos tomorrow :-)
    Vince

  33. #233
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Three from Uni today, with the 31ltd - loving the bokeh!

    False Smile - I kept cropping the first one but couldn't decide how it should go, in the end i stuck with this though I feel I should have done something to emphasize her expression more


    False Smile by vincechu89, on Flickr

    A candid of a friend - loving the bokeh


    IMGP0658-3 by vincechu89, on Flickr

    A book store keeper


    Book Store Keeper by vincechu89, on Flickr

    I'm trying to get into candid and street photography at the moment, I'm quite comfortable taking photos of friends candid, but strangers are a different story! Felt pretty nervous taking photos in the book store, especially as it was soooo quite - thank Pentax for the quite k5 shutter!

    Any C+C welcome
    Vince

  34. #234
    Senior Member ecsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tax State
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Try as i may, i cannot see the focus point on the bookstore photo.

  35. #235
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by vincechu View Post
    Three from Uni today, with the 31ltd - loving the bokeh!

    False Smile - I kept cropping the first one but couldn't decide how it should go, in the end i stuck with this though I feel I should have done something to emphasize her expression more

    A candid of a friend - loving the bokeh

    A book store keeper

    I'm trying to get into candid and street photography at the moment, I'm quite comfortable taking photos of friends candid, but strangers are a different story! Felt pretty nervous taking photos in the book store, especially as it was soooo quite - thank Pentax for the quite k5 shutter!

    Any C+C welcome
    Hi Vince,

    The people in the background are a bit distracting in the first portrait. Second is much better and agree that bokeh with that 31 is very nice. I also can't find the focus point in the bookstore image. Perhaps you were moving the camera when the shutter was released? I've had an occasional image like that where everything is OOF and attributed them to hurried shooting and/or SR malfunction.
    Carl
    Gallery

  36. #236
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    I have been following the thread and have seem a lot of great shots. Based on these and the 1.03 software fix I am about to take the plunge again and order a replacement K5 for the one I sent back. I am definitely ordering the 18-135 as a waterproof walk around lens.

    With that combo decided upon which single other lens would you buy at this time? Last time I bought the 43 and really liked it but I willing to look at an alternative. Definitely only one more for now!

    Jim

  37. #237
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Ecsh and carl, I agree about the bookstore image, it's quite a heavy crop so that kind of removes some sharpness. I also took the photo in a rush as I didn't want the store owner to notice me, and think pressed the focus button whilst moving the camera to compose, so it's likely the focus point is elsewhere, on the original landscape orientated shot, it looks like a box to the left (cropped out) is what's focused on. Oh also turned the AF confirm beep off to be stealthy, kind of back fired on me ;-)

    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice - I treated myself with the gear, so I've decided that I've got to improve my skill to be worthy of it :-)

    lessons learned for next time: keep composed shooting candids and watch out for distractions in the backgrounds :-)
    Vince

  38. #238
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    I have been following the thread and have seem a lot of great shots. Based on these and the 1.03 software fix I am about to take the plunge again and order a replacement K5 for the one I sent back. I am definitely ordering the 18-135 as a waterproof walk around lens.

    With that combo decided upon which single other lens would you buy at this time? Last time I bought the 43 and really liked it but I willing to look at an alternative. Definitely only one more for now!

    Jim
    Hey Jim, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your choice. The 43 limited is a very very fine lens, especially as it is much cheaper than the 31 and has a similar level of image quality. I would have chosen it had I not found a 31 at a very good price. I guess you have to ask yourself what type of photos you mainly take? Also did you find the 43 too long or too short?

    I'd recommend testing a K5 instore before you buy, and looking at the serial numbers, on pentaxforums serial number database, it seems all those begining with 38----- are stained. Fingers crossed you get a good one :-)
    Vince

  39. #239
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    This is one of three shots since my 1.03 firmware upgrade. It's dark outside and not a lot of light inside. All I did to this was put NR at 20 and clarity at 30 in Lightroom.

    18-135mm at 68mm. ISO 3200. 1/10th sec, f6.3 hand held. SR on!

    Sapphie had long ago stolen my seat and really just wanted to be left alone!



    Lee

  40. #240
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Vince,

    I liked the 43, just looking at options before I make the purchase. I have a fairly full Canon set of lenses and a 5D2 to cover anything if I really need to. This is meant to be a fun carry anywhere, in any weather, lighter alternative. Vacation shots, shots of friends, probably urban landscapes, who knows?

    Jim

  41. #241
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Jim, Vince

    I think the 18-135mm is a great all-rounder. It is quite expensive but I sort of justified it by the cashback offer Pentax had in the UK a while ago (not that this helps you now); and once you've spent the money you forget how much you spent don't you? I don't know what to say -it does vignette a little in the middle of the range but overall the IQ is great, in my opinion. My first digicam (Minolta Dimage 7i) cost me nearly 1000 several years ago, so relatively speaking, I am finding the K5 a bargain.

    I also have the 43mm - have had it from my film days. I keep meaning to use it more and wonder why I don't. I think I need to re-calibrate it for my K5 as I haven't been totally happy with the focusing with it. But, that aside, it is stunning.

    But then you might want to consider the 21mm Ltd or the 35mm Ltd macro options. I have neither lens but both are on my 'LBA radar'!! I am not deliberately trying to muddy anybody's waters here ...

    Oh and Carl - how do you do it? I mean keep making those shots look so 'medium format'?

    :-)

    Lee

  42. #242
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Lee - nice photo - looks like saphie is getting comfy there! seems ur ff is gone?

    Jim - The DA* 55 1.4 is weather sealed and very sharp with good bokeh, though a bit long for a general lens. The 43 has amazing rendering and people often pick it over the 31ltd if they don't mind having a slightly longer standard lens, as its cheaper.

    A quick thought, I'm not sure about the lens prices where you are, but here in the UK you can get 2 DA limited for the price of a FA limited which may be worth considering. People seem to go for either 15 or 21 and 35macro or 40. A duo made from these make a fine flexible carry everywhere kit. Amazingly the 40 DA limited weights only 90g, whilst the others are around 150-200g, crazy light!

    Carl (Scho) and jono have more experience with more primes than I do, so it would be interesting to see what they have to say.
    Vince

  43. #243
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Jim, Vince

    I think the 18-135mm is a great all-rounder. It is quite expensive but I sort of justified it by the cashback offer Pentax had in the UK a while ago (not that this helps you now); and once you've spent the money you forget how much you spent don't you? I don't know what to say -it does vignette a little in the middle of the range but overall the IQ is great, in my opinion. My first digicam (Minolta Dimage 7i) cost me nearly 1000 several years ago, so relatively speaking, I am finding the K5 a bargain.

    I also have the 43mm - have had it from my film days. I keep meaning to use it more and wonder why I don't. I think I need to re-calibrate it for my K5 as I haven't been totally happy with the focusing with it. But, that aside, it is stunning.

    But then you might want to consider the 21mm Ltd or the 35mm Ltd macro options. I have neither lens but both are on my 'LBA radar'!! I am not deliberately trying to muddy anybody's waters here ...

    Oh and Carl - how do you do it? I mean keep making those shots look so 'medium format'?

    :-)

    Lee
    I got mine with the cashback offer too Lee, though with the 18-55 WR which isn't too bad. Have to say I am considering the 18-135 still, will have to see if I can get the funds together :-)

    Don't get me started with LBA I have the DA 15 and 70 on my to buy list. But crazily enough I'm thinking of selling my 31 to fund the 35macro and 15 (more flexibility) as I'm short on funds... I could probably get both with the money from the 31! Though I'd definately miss the speed and bokeh... grrrr LBA's pretty annoying lol

    Ideal kit for me would be 18-135mm, 15, 31, 70/77 - think carls got this though with the 35.
    Vince

  44. #244
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    I have been following the thread and have seem a lot of great shots. Based on these and the 1.03 software fix I am about to take the plunge again and order a replacement K5 for the one I sent back. I am definitely ordering the 18-135 as a waterproof walk around lens.

    With that combo decided upon which single other lens would you buy at this time? Last time I bought the 43 and really liked it but I willing to look at an alternative. Definitely only one more for now!

    Jim
    Jim, The 18-135 is definitely a worthy first choice lens. A single second lens is more of a personal decision and I would be hard pressed to recommend just one prime lens. Several very good primes have already been suggested and I would add the 15 to the list if you want a wide option. If you want to stay with weather resistant zooms then the upcoming DA 12-35mm DC WR lens sounds tempting as a wide companion to the 18-135.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    This is one of three shots since my 1.03 firmware upgrade. It's dark outside and not a lot of light inside. All I did to this was put NR at 20 and clarity at 30 in Lightroom.

    18-135mm at 68mm. ISO 3200. 1/10th sec, f6.3 hand held. SR on!

    Sapphie had long ago stolen my seat and really just wanted to be left alone!

    Lee
    Sapphie does look quite comfortable and you captured the "don't bother me" look very nicely. Seems as though 1.03 is working well for you in low liight.
    Carl
    Gallery

  45. #245
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post

    Oh and Carl - how do you do it? I mean keep making those shots look so 'medium format'?

    :-)

    Lee
    I cheat and stitch images together for higher resolution
    Carl
    Gallery

  46. #246
    Senior Member JMaher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sarasota
    Posts
    942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Carl,

    I'll add the 15 to my possible list. In real life I will probably buy more than one prime but not right away.

    I saw your comment on cheating - it just seems unfair (grin). How many shots do you usually stitch?

    Jim

  47. #247
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Carl,

    I'll add the 15 to my possible list. In real life I will probably buy more than one prime but not right away.

    I saw your comment on cheating - it just seems unfair (grin). How many shots do you usually stitch?

    Jim
    Usually just 3-4 images, as in the waterfall shots posted above.
    Carl
    Gallery

  48. #248
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    Apologies as this is slightly (sorry, felt the urge to use the smiley )

    Carl, heads up, I just noticed you're one away from your milestone 1000th post (just in case u want make it memorable or something )
    Vince

  49. #249
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

    K5 and my new FA 31
    [IMG][/IMG]

  50. #250
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: Weather Sealed Lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    If you want to stay with weather resistant zooms then the upcoming DA 12-35mm DC WR lens sounds tempting as a wide companion to the 18-135.
    I wonder if Pentax will ever offer WR Pancakes? My walk-around kit back in the day was a K10 with 21mm and 70mm Pancakes and I'd rather have these two weather sealed together with a K5 than have to lug around an 18-135.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •