Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Pentax K5

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weather Sealed Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    I wonder if Pentax will ever offer WR Pancakes? My walk-around kit back in the day was a K10 with 21mm and 70mm Pancakes and I'd rather have these two weather sealed together with a K5 than have to lug around an 18-135.
    I would also like to see at least one weather resistant small prime. The 18-135 is a fine lens and was purchased primarily for foul weather shooting, but as you noted it is bulky compared to the little pancakes. I debated awhile about lenses to take on my recent holiday trip and the primes won (took the 15, 35, 70 kit). I didn't anticipate any rain and fortunately we had nothing but sunshine for 7 days.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

Quote Originally Posted by vincechu View Post
    Apologies as this is slightly (sorry, felt the urge to use the smiley )

Carl, heads up, I just noticed you're one away from your milestone 1000th post (just in case u want make it memorable or something )
    A thousand posts is nothing on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    K5 and my new FA 31
    [/IMG]
    Nice and sharp with smooth fall off.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Weather Resistant Prime

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I would also like to see at least one weather resistant small prime. I debated awhile about lenses to take on my recent holiday trip and the primes won (took the 15, 35, 70 kit).
    I'd even settle for a weather resistant 35mm f/2 or even the f/2.4 prime (the 50mm equivalent has always been my favourite) and on a K-5 would be perfect - do you hear us Pentax?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Another local waterfall, Buttermilk Falls. Snowmelt is now in full swing and the streams are running high.

K5+18-135 (3 image stitch)

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Wow carl, I'm jealous, you seem to live in a very intersting/scenic area - I bet these waterfalls u've shared with us will look beautiful in Summer.

I too wish pentax will create a few more WR primes, especially as 50mm equiv. But perhaps Pentax is worried another lens around 30-35mm will damage sales of the 35macro and 31?

Personally I'd love to see a redesigned 31 (similar to the redesign of the 100macro) to suit digital, WR, with better/no built in hood and better resistance to CA - which imo is the only weakness of the 31. But again questionable due to its legendary status.

Essay due in on Monday, so no more photos from me til later :-(
    Vince

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Wow carl, I'm jealous, you seem to live in a very intersting/scenic area - I bet these waterfalls u've shared with us will look beautiful in Summer.

I too wish pentax will create a few more WR primes, especially as 50mm equiv. But perhaps Pentax is worried another lens around 30-35mm will damage sales of the 35macro and 31?

Personally I'd love to see a redesigned 31 (similar to the redesign of the 100macro) to suit digital, WR, with better/no built in hood and better resistance to CA - which imo is the only weakness of the 31. But again questionable due to its legendary status.

Essay due in on Monday, so no more photos from me til later :-(
    The numerous waterfalls and gorges in this area are indeed very nice in the summer. However, winter and early spring are a bit gruesome.

I would love to have a 24mm f/2 or 2.8 limited, WR prime - but, I doubt that Pentax marketing thinks that such a lens would be worthwhile - sigh!

Happy writing.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

This time with 43mm Ltd. It's a nice lens (especially now that I have calibrated it at + 10 !!)

f/5.6, 1/125th sec , ISO 160. No PP.

but I did miss having my 18-135mm

Lee

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    This time with 43mm Ltd. It's a nice lens (especially now that I have calibrated it at + 10 !!)

f/5.6, 1/125th sec , ISO 160. No PP.

but I did miss having my 18-135mm

Lee
    Lee,

Very nice image of the lichens. Great color and sharp detail.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful spring day today. K5 + 18-135mm excelled itself. The lems may have some CA and vignetting but is incredibly flare-resistant.

One shot:

Lee
    Last edited by Sapphie; 13th March 2011 at 13:00.

Post Thanks / Like

Lee - stunning photo - love the use of the 16:9 ratio, the weather was much warmer up in Cheshire too - sunny, clear blue skies, very photogenic weather.

Unfortunately I'm stuck writing an essay due tomorrow , so didn't get to go out...

Boring essay writing!!! *yawn* by vincechu89, on Flickr

(posted smaller to hide the 31ltd's CA on the letters...)
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vince

Thanks for the kind comments on the photo. I hope the essay writing went well. So even the 'mighty' 31mm Ltd suffers from CA?

Anyway, yesterday was an exceptionally clear an bright day and we really enjoyed our trip to Lyme Regis on the southern English coast. One of the things that is amazing me about the K-5 is the exposure accuracy *and* its ability to preserve highlights. My K20D was a notoriously random beast, usually underexposing if it caught so much as a whiff of a specular highlight but with the K-5 all that has changed. In this shot, yes the walls on the left and right and the back of the gull's head did register as 'blown' but 100% highlight compensation in LR rectified it ... no other PP applied here.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Another 'grab shot' from yesterday ...

I don't think I have ever had so much fun with a digital camera.

Lee

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vince

Thanks for the kind comments on the photo. I hope the essay writing went well. So even the 'mighty' 31mm Ltd suffers from CA?

Anyway, yesterday was an exceptionally clear an bright day and we really enjoyed our trip to Lyme Regis on the southern English coast. One of the things that is amazing me about the K-5 is the exposure accuracy *and* its ability to preserve highlights. My K20D was a notoriously random beast, usually underexposing if it caught so much as a whiff of a specular highlight but with the K-5 all that has changed. In this shot, yes the walls on the left and right and the back of the gull's head did register as 'blown' but 100% highlight compensation in LR rectified it ... no other PP applied here.
    Lee
    Another 'grab shot' from yesterday ...

I don't think I have ever had so much fun with a digital camera.

Lee
    Nice shots Lee. The K5 does seem to have lots of headroom for highlight recovery. The 18-135 seems to be performing well for you and it is a versatile lens. You appear to be enjoying real spring weather. I'm still looking at gray skies and slowly melting snow
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another cropped shot. This was shot into the light off the water, so was essentially a silhouette. The 'cob' and huts thereon were lightened with a little fill light.

Yes I am loving the 18-135mm. I still think I occasionally have some issues with lack of sharpness but I think it may be 'operator error'! I am still working on that ...

Lee

photogerald

Some LoCA (bokeh CA) is usually expected for fast lenses like the FA31 Ltd.

One of the things that is amazing me about the K-5 is the exposure accuracy *and* its ability to preserve highlights. My K20D was a notoriously random beast, usually underexposing if it caught so much as a whiff of a specular highlight but with the K-5 all that has changed.
    Yes, the 77-segment metering that was introduced with the K-7 does seem like a big improvement over the K20D. I know what you mean regarding the matrix metering of the K20D - and on that camera, underexposure will result in more noise when you have to bring up the exposure in PP. It's why I set mine to use center-weighted metering, but even then there are situations where it does unexpected things.

With the much greater DR of the K-5, it looks like you can safely set your EV to -1/3 to account for the few occasions where highlights get blown, without having to worry about shadow noise due to underexpose (the K-5 has better DR @ISO800 than the K20D @ISO100!). Or you can enable the DR expansion feature with similar results, as noted by some reviews.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photogerald View Post
    With the much greater DR of the K-5, it looks like you can safely set your EV to -1/3 to account for the few occasions where highlights get blown, without having to worry about shadow noise due to underexpose (the K-5 has better DR @ISO800 than the K20D @ISO100!). Or you can enable the DR expansion feature with similar results, as noted by some reviews.
    Hi There Gerald
    That's what I've done with mine (-1/3) it seems to deal well with the situation without much of a downside.
    all the best

Just this guy you know

photogerald

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There Gerald
    That's what I've done with mine (-1/3) it seems to deal well with the situation without much of a downside.
    all the best
    Hi Jono! Thanks for confirming that you can basically "set it and forget it". I hope things are well with you!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, basically test shots...taken with the 31 and 77 FA limited lenses. I love the build quality and dynamic range...

If the weather holds up this week-end, I'll take this for a real spin around town
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Okay, basically test shots...taken with the 31 and 77 FA limited lenses. I love the build quality and dynamic range...
    PAF - if those two are test shots I'd like some lessons please! Lovely - glad you're having fun - the DR is a bit startling isn't it!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know quite what it is but I actually like on some weird abstract level the last shot with those yellows/blues and holes.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Hi There Gerald
    all the best
    I 2nd this. I am setting mine to -1/3 ev also. While I have to remember to bring it up it's all a breeze. Though i am shooting raw at the moment, I look forward to shoot in SLIDE JPEG and the Cross processing/toy camera filters in JPEG also.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin, not bad for a beginner ha ha! I think looking at objects in great detail harks back to when we were kids and we looked at everything closely and with wonderment. As we get older we pass by all these things with nary a look! Are these colour ooc Ashwin or have you pp'd them a bit?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Ashwin. I also like that last shot.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I even like the coke shot and I am Pepsi drinker . Great test shots.
    Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

PAF - if those two are test shots I'd like some lessons please! Lovely - glad you're having fun - the DR is a bit startling isn't it!

all the best
    Jono: Thanks so much! If anyone needs lessons from someone, it's me needing lessons from you! Your shots and contributions over my years with Leica have drawn me into the fray, and once again, here with the K-5! The DR is truly startling. What I thought were blown highlights are completely rescuable in certain instances....the files are not as crisp as the M9 (if I could only find someone to take off that darned anti-aliasing filter, I'd be in business)

Raist: Thabnk you kindly. The yellows and blues are an old sign from a former club here in Seattle called "Neon", the sign has been left to rot away along the side of a road that I travel frequently, and I decided, why not, take a few shots...thanks!

Chiquita: Thanks, and yes, a bit of tweaking of colors in lightroom 3 and Nik Color Efex

Carl: Thanks as well.

Jim: I loved your commentary. I must admit to being more of a Coke fiend (that sounds horrible, hahah...the soda, not the illicit stuff) in the recent years, but I once held Pepsi One close to my heart (and tastebuds) before the folks at Pepsi changed the forumulation. I do like Pepsi Max, but it has too much caffeine or something like it. Thanks for the enjoyable comment!

More to share as time goes on!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A couple more beach shots taken with the K5+70mm limited on our recent trip to PR.

One from today taken with the K5+21mm limited. A father and daughter enjoying our first real spring weather.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots Carl. I especially like the composition of the third!

Ashwin: love your "test" shots, but I wasn't expecting anything less from you.

If I'd ever buy a DSLR again, you guys pushed me in a certain direction.
    My Flickr

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

If the weather holds up this week-end, I'll take this for a real spin around town
    great images. I really like the colors too. Pentax colors just look vey film like to me. I dont know if its the lenses or sensor or software or a combination of all 3.
    So how do you like the K5 so far?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    A couple more beach shots taken with the K5+70mm limited on our recent trip to PR.

One from today taken with the K5+21mm limited. A father and daughter enjoying our first real spring weather.

Carl - these two shots are really grand - PR?

Ashwin - the M9 shots will always be crisper . . . . surely it would be unreasonable to expect it otherwise, but there are certainly some compensations with respect to DR and convenience.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OlliL View Post
    Great shots Carl. I especially like the composition of the third!

Ashwin: love your "test" shots, but I wasn't expecting anything less from you.

If I'd ever buy a DSLR again, you guys pushed me in a certain direction.
    Thank you OlliL.

Carl - these two shots are really grand - PR?

Ashwin - the M9 shots will always be crisper . . . . surely it would be unreasonable to expect it otherwise, but there are certainly some compensations with respect to DR and convenience.
    Thanks Jono. PR = Puerto Rico.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl,

I just looked over your PR gallery. All very nice. They make me want to visit there on vacation some day.

Jim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Carl,

I just looked over your PR gallery. All very nice. They make me want to visit there on vacation some day.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. This was primarily an R&R type vacation for us this time so we didn't explore the island very much. Plenty of sun, good food, and not crowded, except on Sunday which seems to be family beach day for everyone in San Juan.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

It's great that this thread's becoming more lively

Great to have you on board the k5 train Ashwin - I've long been a fan of your Leica work here and over at Steve Huff's site. What a killer prime set up you have, enjoy!

Lee - Love the cropped seascape (hope thats a word, if it isn't it is now;-) ) good use of aspect ratios again for the composition.

Carl - I love the pier shot, well done - you always seem to get a great amount of sharpness in your photos, do you use the hyperfocal distance technique?

More essay writing for me, so no photos for a while still :'(
    Vince

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again to everyone for such a warm reception. I must say that the Pentax K5 has been quite a revelation. To be able to fit an SLR with 3 lenses into one of my tiny Billingham Pola bags is amazing. Build quality is startlingly good. The camera is set up so well, very much so that it's clear that Pentax has advanced photogs like us in mind. But the thing that gets me the most is the dynamic range. IT's better than what I have gotten out of the M9. Each camera has its strengths, but for price-performance ratio, it's hard to go wrong here. I have been quite impressed with both the FA primes and the tiny 40 mm f/2.8 DA pancake, which appears to be a crackin' lens! I am very excited about it, as it is not much bigger then a lens cap.

Once the funds allow, I may try to pick up the 100 DA Macro, so any feedback on that would be great....

A few comments:

1. Carl, great kite surfing shot!!!
    2. OlliL: Thank you very much. I'll try to hold up my end of the bargain and post regularly. Between here and the Leica forum, I may be quite busy
    3. Tom, thanks for the kind words. I am loving the K-5...it's more impressive, by quite a bit, than my old 1D III and even the 5DII. The only camera, other than the M9, that has given me this much immediate satisfaction was the original 5D. The DR of the camera is its ace of spades!
    4. Jono. Thanks for the feedback. Today, the 40 mm DA lens showed me the possibilities of how sharp this diminuitive set up can be.
    5. Vince, thanks very much for the kind words. I am going to give these primes a good work out and see what they are made of. I hope to target the 15 prime and 100 Macro once I have had a few months to familiarize myself with my current set up...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

And, a few more test shots, this time with the 40 mm f/2.8 DA wide open to about f.5.6, ISO 200-400, in evening lighting....my gosh this is a great lens! Reminds me of the Leica aspherics...hahah....

This is not my usual fare, but I do enjoy finding patterns in the urban chaos. While waiting for friends for dinner at a local eatery here in Ballard (Seattle neighborhood with some amazing fine dining), there are some fun "patterns" to see...

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Not the cone's intent, I suppose...one more in color...

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow! That 100 is ridiculously nice! Great set of photos! Thanks for sharing!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great photos Carl! I enjoyed them all!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok ... I just spent the last 30 minutes looking at all these great photos on this thread (and I'm still on the 3rd page of the thread). My lust for the K5 grows with each second! It's now 4 a.m. in Houston, and I need to go to sleep so that I can go to work tomorrow morning! What have you all done to me?

Hope to contribute to this thread in the near future.

Lusting for the K5 (and some nice lenses),
    Armando
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Armanius

But you have Leica and a Pany GH2 ...

:-)

Lee

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It's great that this thread's becoming more lively
    Carl - I love the pier shot, well done - you always seem to get a great amount of sharpness in your photos, do you use the hyperfocal distance technique?

More essay writing for me, so no photos for a while still :'(
    Thanks Vince. No, at least not at a conscious level
    Thanks again to everyone for such a warm reception. I must say that the Pentax K5 has been quite a revelation. To be able to fit an SLR with 3 lenses into one of my tiny Billingham Pola bags is amazing. Build quality is startlingly good. The camera is set up so well, very much so that it's clear that Pentax has advanced photogs like us in mind. But the thing that gets me the most is the dynamic range. IT's better than what I have gotten out of the M9. Each camera has its strengths, but for price-performance ratio, it's hard to go wrong here. I have been quite impressed with both the FA primes and the tiny 40 mm f/2.8 DA pancake, which appears to be a crackin' lens! I am very excited about it, as it is not much bigger then a lens cap.

Once the funds allow, I may try to pick up the 100 DA Macro, so any feedback on that would be great....

A few comments:

1. Carl, great kite surfing shot!!!
    Thanks Ashwin. Glad to see that you are enjoying the K5.

And, a few more test shots, this time with the 40 mm f/2.8 DA wide open to about f.5.6, ISO 200-400, in evening lighting....my gosh this is a great lens! Reminds me of the Leica aspherics...hahah....

This is not my usual fare, but I do enjoy finding patterns in the urban chaos. While waiting for friends for dinner at a local eatery here in Ballard (Seattle neighborhood with some amazing fine dining), there are some fun "patterns" to see...
    Ashwin,
    Wonderful series of pattern and texture shots with the little 40 limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    Great photos Carl! I enjoyed them all!
    Thanks Armanius and welcome to the forum.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Ashwin, a great set with the 40, i love the colour that you get, very modern and bold - is this out of camera or in PP? Looks like you've triggered my LBA with the 40, I really like its tiny size and the IQ doesnt seem to disappoint ;-) Oh and in regards to the 100macro, Jono has experience with the newest version the weather resistant one, there's some lovely photos on the 1st page from him :-)

Armanius

Lee
    Lol, Armanius, if you find your Leica starts gathering dust, I'll be happy to look after it for you
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Armanius

Lee
    It's the camera buying addiction!!! I have LBA too!

I do love the M9. I love the GH2 too. Both cameras have their limitations though. The M9 has amazing resolution, sharpness, and depth. But at high ISO ... ehh. And sometimes, manual focusing can be a drag. And I do need telephoto from time to time too. I like the GH2 because it's so small, light, has an articulated LCD, awesome EVF (better than any OVF I've ever used), fits my hand quite nicely, nice customizability in spite of the touch screen, and awesome video capabilities (not that I use it). BUT, it is also bad at high ISO.

The K5 seems to me to be the best all around camera. Very good IQ, good AF, in a relatively small weather resistant package.

I'm hoping that the K5 will be my last camera for 2011.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ohh, lots of lovely photos since I last looked! I decided to order my k5 today and it will be here next week. Shop says new batch with no stains (fingers crossed). Also ordered the DA40 after one heck of a lot of dithering. I decided it would be the best walk around for me, small and useable fov, sensible price etc. while I get used to the k5. I'll decide which other lenses I really need later. Hope the weather stays fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiquita View Post
    Ohh, lots of lovely photos since I last looked! I decided to order my k5 today and it will be here next week. Shop says new batch with no stains (fingers crossed). Also ordered the DA40 after one heck of a lot of dithering. I decided it would be the best walk around for me, small and useable fov, sensible price etc. while I get used to the k5. I'll decide which other lenses I really need later. Hope the weather stays fine
    Congrats on the K-5!! Another person I can live vicariously through!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I received my K5 three days before I left for Mardi Gras and am still learning the camera but so far I am quite pleased. I took over 800 shots at Mardi Gras using the 18-135 only even though I have the 35mm Limited... never put that one on the camera.. the 18-135 allowed more versatility.

And then there were these from the other day at the auto graveyard....

Stilll getting to know the camera but so far I am impressed and happy with what it is delivering.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice MG series. Impressive detail in those closeups.
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim,
    Congrats on the K5, and great to hear from you over in this neck of the woods. Wonderful captures, particularly the people ones and the old burnt out car...love your usual magic in post-processing.

I have had the K5 for about a week, as I tired of the bulk and "borning IQ" of the Canon (Sorry, Canon, other than the 50 an 135 L's, I just wasn't feeling it any more)....I hope that you find this to be a positive experience as well. You should throw that prime on there and have some fun. I have so far been quite impressed with the 31 FA and 40 DA primes, which I have used most in the past week....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    Ok ... I just spent the last 30 minutes looking at all these great photos on this thread (and I'm still on the 3rd page of the thread). My lust for the K5 grows with each second! It's now 4 a.m. in Houston, and I need to go to sleep so that I can go to work tomorrow morning! What have you all done to me?

Hope to contribute to this thread in the near future.

Lusting for the K5 (and some nice lenses),
    Armando
    Armando, I'd love to see what you can do with the K5. Feed that gear lust, baby!!!

I personally have been stripping down my kit. Sold of the X1, so now it's the M9, Dlux 5, and K5 as my kit....

The X100 was on my list, but it may be a while before it becomes available.

Best,
    Ashwin
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim,
    Congrats on the K5, and great to hear from you over in this neck of the woods. Wonderful captures, particularly the people ones and the old burnt out car...love your usual magic in post-processing.....
    Ashwin, I've been a member here for some time.. I just do not post that much here. I am getting ready to sell all of my Canon gear.. it will probably be listed in the for sale section over the weekend. 5D MKII and L glass is going.

The K5 is a fun and well thought out camera. I must say that the 18-135 suffers from some pretty bad CA at times and with a UV filter on it there is very bad vignetting at 135mm. The 35mm/macro is a little jewel but in New Orleans it did not fit for what I needed to do.

If you wish to see tons of photos from Mardi Gras visit my Mardi Gras Photo Book website. Over 800 photos await you there, 99% taken with the K5.. the other 1% come from the GF1.

As you look at those photos keep in mind that most of them were quick grab shots and not what I consider my best work but they were shots taken so that people could download a photo of themselves at Mardi Gras. I was handing out cards with the web address so they could go home and download whatever they wished.

By the way, my GH2 finally shipped and will arrive next Tuesday. Thought they would never ship it. I ordered it in December.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com