Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Pentax K5

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

Jim,
    Congrats! From this small snippet the camera really seems to suit you well. Once I get back to SF this weekend I will venture into the the Mardi Gras book.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    I received my K5 three days before I left for Mardi Gras and am still learning the camera but so far I am quite pleased. I took over 800 shots at Mardi Gras using the 18-135 only even though I have the 35mm Limited... never put that one on the camera.. the 18-135 allowed more versatility.
    Still getting to know the camera but so far I am impressed and happy with what it is delivering.
    Hi Jim,

Congrats for the new K5 kit. Excellent series of Mardi Gras portraits and beautiful shots from the auto graveyard. The 18-135 CA is unfortunate, but usually can be easily removed in raw processing. Otherwise a very nice lens for the K5.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post

The K5 is a fun and well thought out camera. I must say that the 18-135 suffers from some pretty bad CA at times and with a UV filter on it there is very bad vignetting at 135mm. The 35mm/macro is a little jewel but in New Orleans it did not fit for what I needed to do.
    HI Jim
    Glad it's going well. I must say, the CA is my only problem with the 18-135, otherwise it's better than one should expect from such a wide ranging zoom. I've been in France for 10 days with just the M9, so it'll be interesting to get back to the K5 after a break.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Wow jim, some beautiful photos that you've posted, my favourites are the 1st Autograve yard one you've posted (for some reason I've always thought that photos involving urban decay/rust or old/retro look very cool, yours does indeed :-) hope that makes sense!) Also love the one directly above with the Red haired lady - her blue eyes drew me in and kept my attention really well. I just wish there were more celebrations like that closer to where I am in the UK.
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    A couple more beach shots taken with the K5+70mm limited on our recent trip to PR.
    I am from PR myself and when I saw your last shot, I was wondering where on Earth in Puerto Rico was that :-)

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

A few from me, though I'm supposed to be essay writing for Monday All with the FA31 and processed in LR3 for once - normally I'm pretty lazy and use the out of cam jpgs which are very good, though the bright sun made me work hard in PP today

My uni's (Keele) library:

IMGP0741 by vincechu89, on Flickr

IMGP0751 by vincechu89, on Flickr

I was meant to be shooting landscapes in the beautiful weather but I caught this little guys attention, and he caught mine too. A pony who I seem to drive past occassionally near univerisity. As he was walking closer to me:

IMGP0792 by vincechu89, on Flickr

This was as close as we could get to eachother due to a barbed-wire fence, it was as if he wanted me to pet him, though my hands were ice cold so i didn't.. didnt want to startle him

IMGP0803 by vincechu89, on Flickr

This got washed out abit by the sun (which was behind the pony), so i tried to make the most of it in LR3...

IMGP0797 by vincechu89, on Flickr

I underexposed this by about a stop originally to get around the bright sun, worked a treat due to the K5's impressive Raw files:

IMGP0808 by vincechu89, on Flickr

The black and white pony had a friend, who was pretty shy and looked on cautiously from a good few meters - kinda cute the was it behaved:

IMGP0806 by vincechu89, on Flickr

She came over briefly and I managed to snap this:

IMGP0811 by vincechu89, on Flickr
    Last edited by vincechu; 18th March 2011 at 19:41. Reason: spelling/grammar checking
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like

Part 2:

I always drive past them on the way to university, they're always together, or not too far :-) Kind of cute, it shows how animals are like humans, they want company from each other. This looked very intimate to me, it seemed that they were grooming each other i think :-)

IMGP0818 by vincechu89, on Flickr

Finally a bit of landscape like I intended, here's them eating together:

IMGP0855 by vincechu89, on Flickr

IMGP0858 by vincechu89, on Flickr

Any C&C very welcome - especially on my composition which I'm particularly trying to improve at the moment. I think I over did the saturation a little in LR3, though i can't tell as my screen isn't colour corrected (yet lol) - at the moment leaning forward and backwards changes how saturated an image looks on my screen... pretty frustrating
    Last edited by vincechu; 18th March 2011 at 19:33. Reason: grammar
    Vince

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I am from PR myself and when I saw your last shot, I was wondering where on Earth in Puerto Rico was that :-)

- Raist
    Hi Ricardo,

Yes, a pretty generic looking beach shot It was in front of the Hosteria del mar hotel/Uvva restaurant at Ocean Park beach.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vincechu View Post
    Part 2:

I always drive past them on the way to university, they're always together, or not too far :-) Kind of cute, it shows how animals are like humans, they want company from each other. This looked very intimate to me, it seemed that they were grooming each other i think :-)

Any C&C very welcome - especially on my composition which I'm particularly trying to improve at the moment. I think I over did the saturation a little in LR3, though i can't tell as my screen isn't colour corrected (yet lol) - at the moment leaning forward and backwards changes how saturated an image looks on my screen... pretty frustrating
    Vince,

Nice pony shots. Saturation does look a bit high, but not excessive.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Vince,

Nice pony shots. Saturation does look a bit high, but not excessive.
    Thanks Carl,

I personally think I definately over did it in 1,2,10 and 11. I had some time today around essay writing and re-did the last photo quickly:

IMGP0858 Edit from Raw by vincechu89, on Flickr

The colours here seem more accurate to the real scene, atleast on my screen, though I honestly can't tell - I definately need to invest in colour management asap.

I think I want to go for a less saturated more film look in future...
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great set of photos Jim! I've been to your site a few times looking at the other Mardi Gras photos with your m4/3 stuff.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ricardo,

Yes, a pretty generic looking beach shot It was in front of the Hosteria del mar hotel/Uvva restaurant at Ocean Park beach.
    Ah no, I meant the last shot of the three- which is clearly not in Puerto Rico :-)

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Vince, definitely like the close up horse portraits and the sense of friendship I see in the 2...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

K5+18-135

Amateur bird watchers

Professional bird watcher

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, now I am getting some results that I really like....

Guitar Man....

Guitar Man in Color!

Taken today at Pike's Place Market in Seattle...the K5 is quite an enjoyable camera, I must say...all images taken with the 31 and 77 FA primes...most of these are 77 FA shots, fairly close to wide open...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A few other portraits and people shots from the week-end

40 DA:

31 FA

77 FA

Home with a view..

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin,

Great shots, I particularly like the first guitar player in B&W.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great photos Ashwin. Favorite was the grandma and toddler photo. Nice contrast in textures and facial expressions. The color are awesome too. Was it a RAW converted to JPG in LR3.3? Or OOC JPG?
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots Ashwin, they have a nice RF feel to them. You and Jono make this K5 look sooo tempting. Composition and framing wise, your pictures could as well have been taken with the M9. So which one is more fun?
    Selling the X1 and one M lens would give me the funds to buy a K5 with 3 nice primes decisions, decisions.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Great shots Ashwin, they have a nice RF feel to them. You and Jono make this K5 look sooo tempting. Composition and framing wise, your pictures could as well have been taken with the M9. So which one is more fun?
    Selling the X1 and one M lens would give me the funds to buy a K5 with 3 nice primes decisions, decisions.
    Wonderful shots Ashwin - I like all of them (what kind of a surprise is that )

As for the question retow - they're both so different that deciding which is more fun is really tough - I've just spent a week in the alps; I only wanted to take one system, and the M9 won - probably on the basis of a last minute whim.

as for your X1 and one M lens decision - I think that's a splendid deal . . . . as long as it isn't an M lens you use a lot!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post

Thanks, retow! I agree that RF's have definitely affected how I see the world, and it's reflected in those K5 captures. Plus, the FA and DA glass has a similar rendering to Leica/Leitz clas...

As for fun, gosh...hard one...Agree with Jono that it's not an easy argument. For most people, the K5 will be more fun. For me, I love the adjustment and control over the image afforded by a RF camera, so that's why the M9 became my primary system. That being said, the K-5 is one heck of a fun camera to use.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Wonderful shots Ashwin - I like all of them (what kind of a surprise is that )

As for the question retow - they're both so different that deciding which is more fun is really tough - I've just spent a week in the alps; I only wanted to take one system, and the M9 won - probably on the basis of a last minute whim.

as for your X1 and one M lens decision - I think that's a splendid deal . . . . as long as it isn't an M lens you use a lot!

Thanks, Jono!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    Great photos Ashwin. Favorite was the grandma and toddler photo. Nice contrast in textures and facial expressions. The color are awesome too. Was it a RAW converted to JPG in LR3.3? Or OOC JPG?
    Hi Armando, I only shoot RAW (or at least, I have only shot RAW so far) on the K5. All of my conversions are done in LR 3 and silver/color efex pro...

I will have to give the in-camera jpeg engine a try sometime...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Ashwin,

Great shots, I particularly like the first guitar player in B&W.

Jim
    Thanks, Jim!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more from last night...with the FA 77

Shot indoors, low light, ISO 1600, wide open, FA 77, with editing in SEP, CEP, and LR3
    Last edited by ashwinrao1; 21st March 2011 at 20:15.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful portraits Ashwin.
    I like the last one best.
    Very intimate.
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Wow this threads really got lively - loving it :-)

Ashwin - I really like your candid/street photos, I saw your india photos on your blog and they really blew my mind. Here I like the colour guitar man photo where his guitar and him, are both facing you - it feels full of life somehow. Also agree with Olli, the last photos great, very intimate :-)

Carl you're really tempting me with the 18-135mm zoom, the IQ looks very good and sharp from what you've shared here, and the bokeh looks pretty good - heard its 9 rounded blades.

Took delivery of a Helios 44K today, quite an interesting MF lens, I'll try and get some photos up when I can :-) Also took delivery of the Zenit Auto which it was mounted on... think i broke it though.....
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like

One with the Helios 44k - 58mm f2 a bit of a mundane shot, but very smooth bokeh, I haven't got used to MF yet, so will post a few more when I have, will also try and show the psychedelic bokeh its known for too

IMGP0959 by vincechu89, on Flickr
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I figured it was about time I added a photo here. A quick snapshot from today (a view from a friends house using my new K5 and 18-135) I'll post more as soon as I can get out to shoot a little.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

So that's what the 40 DA can do huh (portrait of guy with that background). Interesting.

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    So that's what the 40 DA can do huh (portrait of guy with that background). Interesting.

- Raist
    Yup.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post

Shot indoors, low light, ISO 1600, wide open, FA 77, with editing in SEP, CEP, and LR3
    I like these two best - splendid stuff - does that small person belong to you? (or do you belong to him?)
    Fab anyway

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just getting started with the K-5. Pic enclosed taken with the 70DA

Roy Benson
    Last edited by benroy; 19th April 2011 at 19:41.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Horrid grey weather her, so it's time for Tractor Porn
    It's a fergie from 1953 or 1954:

DA 60-250

DA 60-250

18-135

18-135

18-135

18-135

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post

I figured it was about time I added a photo here. A quick snapshot from today (a view from a friends house using my new K5 and 18-135) I'll post more as soon as I can get out to shoot a little.
    Jim
    Jim,

Looks like your new K5 and 18-135 are working well.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    Just getting started with the K-5. Pic enclosed taken with the 70DA

Roy Benson
    Roy,

Nice shot with the 70DA. Hope you enjoy using the K5.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post

Ashwin,
    Nice series of family portraits.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Horrid grey weather her, so it's time for Tractor Porn
    It's a fergie from 1953 or 1954:
    Jono,

Nice tractor series and good looking bokeh with both lenses. We still have horrid white stuff here.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

K5+21 limited, two from a short walk in the local park (freezing cold here today).

Shiny red coke machine sitting in a dark, dingy corner of a park pavilion.

Neglected house plant in park office window.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I have given up on the idea of a GH2, the K5 is too good.

43mm (much better now that I have calibrated it, +10!):

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Another with the 43mm Ltd:

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Almost didn't notice this one was ISO 1250 ...

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Last one for now, 43mm again:

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful photos in this thread. If I weren't shooting with Micro 4/3, I'd buy a Pentax K5, 21/3.5, and 70/2.4.

Post Thanks / Like

Square is good?

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Amin,

I am now lusting after the Silver Limited body. Bound to take better pictures :-)

Lee

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Lee,

Excellent work with the 43 limited. That lens is very sharp with beautiful bokeh.

Square is perfect! (from an old Rolleiflex fan)
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Wonderful photos in this thread. If I weren't shooting with Micro 4/3, I'd buy a Pentax K5, 21/3.5, and 70/2.4.
    me to Amin.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    me to Amin.....
    Hmmm, well I never! two best mates in the same situation. . . . . but it isn't the camera - even if the K5 is very nice.

all the best to both of you.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    I have given up on the idea of a GH2, the K5 is too good.

43mm (much better now that I have calibrated it, +10!):

Lee
    Lee, lots of lovely pictures, I like this one best . . . . now I need that 43 dammit!

Just this guy you know