Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Pentax K5

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Pentax K5

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    Amin,

I am now lusting after the Silver Limited body. Bound to take better pictures :-)

Lee
    Definitely a drool-worthy camera .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amin,

I am now lusting after the Silver Limited body. Bound to take better pictures :-)

Lee
    Ouch
    and it's only an 8 mile drive to warehouseexpress from the office . . . and they have one in stock . . . .help!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ho hum
    sum snaps from today with the 35 macro:

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Jono... Those almost have that 3D Zeiss look. Especially the first flower shot.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely stuff, Jono. So it seems, is the 35 macro the one to have over the 100 macro? It is more compact, it seems. I just ordered a old M-100 mm f/4 macro from KEH, along with a 50 mm f/1.4 SMC-M...hope to see what some vintage glass can do....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Jono

I like the last one best but all great. 35mm macro is also on my 'list'.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Ouch
    and it's only an 8 mile drive to warehouseexpress from the office . . . and they have one in stock . . . .help!
    I had one in my hands at Adorama in NY yesterday. Had they had a silver FA 43 ins stock, I would have pulled a credit card. A great looking camera with an excellent handgrip (different grip than on the black body)
    However, Pentax just reduced the prices for the black K5 such that the difference buys now a DA 40mm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    I had one in my hands at Adorama in NY yesterday. Had they had a silver FA 43 ins stock, I would have pulled a credit card. A great looking camera with an excellent handgrip (different grip than on the black body)
    However, Pentax just reduced the prices for the black K5 such that the difference buys now a DA 40mm.
    Yeah Yeah well, I made the mistake of going to look (Silas wanted to get an S95 Canon), So it seems to be sitting on my desk - the consolation is that the black one was the kit with the 18-55, which I don't need, so the hit won't be quite so bad when I go to ebay (and the price hasn't dropped much in the UK either).

sigh!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, just looked st the silver. Handsome camera and I do like the output I've seen here.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Nice Jono... Those almost have that 3D Zeiss look. Especially the first flower shot.
    Thank you - the lenses really do good bokeh - just a pity that the a pity that the limiteds are all screwdriverdriven!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono

Nooooo! I didn't mean for you to do it! You're just making it up :-) Believe it or not our local camera shop is a Pentax dealer and they have one in another branch which they are 'kindly' going to send down for me to 'look at'. I should have walked away when they didn't have it there. Mind you they charge the full whack of 1300 so no way from them unless they match Mathers or SRS.

Look, this is silly. I don't *need* two K5s, one as expensive as a black one + a DA lens.

Is the grip really that much different?

Lee

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Yeah well, I made the mistake of going to look (Silas wanted to get an S95 Canon), So it seems to be sitting on my desk - the consolation is that the black one was the kit with the 18-55, which I don't need, so the hit won't be quite so bad when I go to ebay (and the price hasn't dropped much in the UK either).

sigh!
    ...and now you need some of those lovely silver limiteds to match!
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is the grip really that much different?

Lee
    HI Lee - it's completely different - quite a revalation really - transsforms the camera from good to wonderful

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono

Sorry, I don't want to believe you (he lied).

Lee
    Not to mention that the focusing seems quicker and more accurate, there's much less CA with the 18-135 lens, the shutter is even quieter, I suspect the battery life is improved. . . . . . . . . . added to which the silver one reflects heat better, and therefore has much better 24,000 ISO . . .

My story (and I'm sticking to it) is that mine actually had a very small sensor stain, which did need fixing, and an occasional oddity with the front dial (where it stopped being a dial and started being a nice rubber thing you twist round and around). Neither was a show stopper, but I thought it was time to get it sorted.

So I took the camera to Warehouseexpress with the faint hope of getting them to do an exchange (after 4 months) - unfortunately, this time my charm failed (I'll tell you the Audi A5 story someday). They had one of the limited cameras, and I made the mistake of looking at it.

As my original camera was a kit with the 18-55, and the deal with the limited edition wasn't so bad (1199) I thought that if I got the old one fixed and sold it as a kit, then I probably wouldn't lose out too much, and that one day, when I want to sell the limited one for a K9, then I'd probably more than get the difference back . . . . . . the things one tells oneself in a camera shop!

I showed it to the boss, told her the story and asked if she could see anything different - she said not! (it's possible she was taking the P1ss)

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Hey, Lee, I just did a long answer to your funny post . . . . . . and you'd deleted it
    But it's too late now . . . as it's quoted in my post (if you really meant it to be deleted I'll zap mine too).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono

Ah, no probs!! I appreciate your humorous reply ... my 'boss' says 'oh go on you only live once' but that's not the point ... or maybe it is ...

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Quick, here comes another one flashing one of them new-fangled cameras, get your beard all fluffed up and pretty ...

Then, when he's gone by, (especially if he hankers after a silver one) ... have a good laugh with "who's a silly billy" (you have to be old enough and British enough to have been there for this one!):

Jono - sorry for the deletion. Your reply is just hilarious.

ENJOY IT (especially the ISO 24,000). If you were saying that on the 'other' forum they would believe it, LOL!

Lee

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Ah Well, Yes - if you buy my 100 macro and the 50 Zeiss 1.4, then I might consider a 77 limited . . . tough to find though.

Anyway, I like black lenses on Silver bodies (and silver lenses on black bodies come to that)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quick, here comes another one flashing one of them new-fangled cameras, get your beard all fluffed up and pretty ...

That's priceless . . . but isn't he saying:
    Oh Bugger, and there's me, not been to the hairdresser for a week!

Jono

Ah, no probs!! I appreciate your humorous reply ... my 'boss' says 'oh go on you only live once' but that's not the point ... or maybe it is ...

Lee
    That's pretty much what my boss says . . . and I don't complain (or know) about the horse bills

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The many faces of my little friend, Bella. K5 and 31FA....

A couple in color...

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

And a couple of proud parents....

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

As the eyes would have it...

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful portraits, Ashwin, and I see why people love that lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great photos Ashwin. I am pondering about exchanging the DA21 and FA43 for the FA31. Very tempted ...

BTW, I love the 100 WR macro, and I'm keeping that one for sure. Sharp, good contrast, creamy bokeh. Build is better than the DA21 and FA43. Dare I say, almost Leica-like?
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jorgen and Armando!

Armando, I'd hold off. The FA 43 is super cool and super compact. I went for the 21DA/31FA/40DA/77FA combo, and it feels balanced, Thbe 31 is quite a special, near normal lens on the K5, but it is the biggest of that crop of lenses....Personally, I'd keep the 21/43 combo a bit longer, and test things out. I am tempted by the 100 WR at the moment, but picked up an old 100 f/4 SMC-M manual focus macro for $200, which is a well regarded older lens, for macro work. I'll see if it pleases me, and if not, it will be replaced by the 100 WR....

I would put the 31 and 77 FA's in a similar league as Zeiss for build quality, with a more vintage look.

If you decide to opt out of the FA 43, let me know. something about the way that lens renders itches calls to me...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Ashwin
    Lovely baby pics . . . and the parents too, but that Bella is definitely a character!

I don't think the lens decisions are that simple either - I'm thinking around the problem at the moment and deciding which way to go - one thing is certain, the little 35 macro limited is here to stay, a lovely lens, grand bokeh and good for macro. I tried the 15, but the edges were too soft for my taste. I have the sigma 10-20 f3.5 HSM for wide, it's not tiny, but it's not huge, and it does seem to work pretty well (better at 15 I thought than the 15 limited). the 21 DA is a temptation though . . . as is the 77 FA

all the best to all

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Thanks Jorgen and Armando!

Armando, I'd hold off. The FA 43 is super cool and super compact. I went for the 21DA/31FA/40DA/77FA combo, and it feels balanced, Thbe 31 is quite a special, near normal lens on the K5, but it is the biggest of that crop of lenses....Personally, I'd keep the 21/43 combo a bit longer, and test things out. I am tempted by the 100 WR at the moment, but picked up an old 100 f/4 SMC-M manual focus macro for $200, which is a well regarded older lens, for macro work. I'll see if it pleases me, and if not, it will be replaced by the 100 WR....

I would put the 31 and 77 FA's in a similar league as Zeiss for build quality, with a more vintage look.

If you decide to opt out of the FA 43, let me know. something about the way that lens renders itches calls to me...
    Thanks Ashwin. The primary motivation of returning the 21/43 for a 31 is unloading the 21. It's a nice wide little lens, but not wide/fast enough in my book to justify its price tag. I like the 43 (other than its ugly hood), but in order to get a 31, I can't justify keeping the 43 as well.

Maybe I'll do a 21 for the 18-135.

100 WR is a keeper! Just wish it had a SDM motor instead of that noisy thing. Focus limiter would be helpful too.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    Maybe I'll do a 21 for the 18-135.

100 WR is a keeper! Just wish it had a SDM motor instead of that noisy thing. Focus limiter would be helpful too.
    HI There
    the 18-135 is great, of course, it's not as good as the primes, and it's a little prone to CA - but it's very small, nicely made, quite, quick to focus and takes great shots - the very good high ISO makes it better than it might otherwise seem. It also focuses closely enough for most of my purposes.

as for the 100 WR - I agree that the oisy screwdriver motor is a pain - especially when going from close up to distance - I've taken to doing it by using the MF clutch mechanism, i.e. if I'm going from close to distance or vice versa, then I'll do it manually before starting the AF - it's a great relief from that awful feeling when the damn thing has started the marathon treck from 3" to infinity and back to 2.5"!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Lee - it's completely different - quite a revalation really - transsforms the camera from good to wonderful
    Hmm, velly intelesting. Damn you lot ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A day in Sarasota - all with the 18-135.

A craft show downtown.

A short walk to the pier and a view of a yacht that had come into town. The yacht is a traveling art gallery and we planned to go but there was an hour or two wait in the sun just to get in.

Then on to a local blues festival and to lunch.

Jim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    A day in Sarasota - all with the 18-135.

A craft show downtown.

A short walk to the pier and a view of a yacht that had come into town. The yacht is a traveling art gallery and we planned to go but there was an hour or two wait in the sun just to get in.

Jim
    Jim,

Very nice walkabout series with the 18-135. I envy the abundant sunshine and warmth that you seem to be enjoying. We are still waiting for the snow to go away.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Really lovely macro series, Jono.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Really lovely macro series, Jono.
    Thank you Amin . . . . have you cracked yet

Those macros are hand held - one of the great things is to use the TAV setting, where you set the shutter speed and aperture, and the camera uses the ISO to get the exposure right - I've also taken to using continuous focus for hand held macros, which really takes away the sway!

Nice shots from Sarasota Jim - I like the first one best.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Amin . . . . have you cracked yet
    I'm not on the verge of cracking... Very content with my current kit .

I do wish my GH2 had the precious metal thing going on though. I'll just continue to admire from afar .

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to try to use TAV more, as I think some of my 'softer' shots are simply due to not fast enough shutter speeds.

I have a G1 and wondered long and hard about K5 or GH2 and wish I had the time (and the financial justification) to be able to play with both. I could get a GH2 for less than the price of a not-required-but-lusted-for silver K5 (no I haven't yet seen, touched, smelt one etc) but I think I will probably plump for the 35mm macro and 21mm lenses next.

Pentax are supposed to be (maybe) having a mirrorless camera that may take the K mount lenses some day?

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI There
    the 18-135 is great, of course, it's not as good as the primes, and it's a little prone to CA - but it's very small, nicely made, quite, quick to focus and takes great shots - the very good high ISO makes it better than it might otherwise seem. It also focuses closely enough for most of my purposes.

as for the 100 WR - I agree that the oisy screwdriver motor is a pain - especially when going from close up to distance - I've taken to doing it by using the MF clutch mechanism, i.e. if I'm going from close to distance or vice versa, then I'll do it manually before starting the AF - it's a great relief from that awful feeling when the damn thing has started the marathon treck from 3" to infinity and back to 2.5"!
    I just put in an order for the Tammy 17-50 and Siggy 17-50. Will test them both and see how they compare with the DA21 at equivalent apertures. The constant 2.8 was the selling point, but may end up with the 18-135 anyway for more flexibility and the super fast AF.

Yes, it is a total marathon when the 100 runs through the entire focus distance. Reminds me of a dentist's office with the drill. Painful.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Well, enough watching. Saw that Jono was selling his 100 macro, and got worried it was not good. Now i know better. Just out from the yard, nothing artistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    Well, enough watching. Saw that Jono was selling his 100 macro, and got worried it was not good. Now i know better. Just out from the yard, nothing artistic.
    Nice sharp photos! I love the 100 WR! Jono is selling his 100?
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am going to try to use TAV more, as I think some of my 'softer' shots are simply due to not fast enough shutter speeds.

I have a G1 and wondered long and hard about K5 or GH2 and wish I had the time (and the financial justification) to be able to play with both. I could get a GH2 for less than the price of a not-required-but-lusted-for silver K5 (no I haven't yet seen, touched, smelt one etc) but I think I will probably plump for the 35mm macro and 21mm lenses next.

Pentax are supposed to be (maybe) having a mirrorless camera that may take the K mount lenses some day?

Lee
    Lee-

So far, I have found that my K5 with DA21 wide open produces very sharp files at ISO 80, at least on the center. I took a few photos during an art festival last weekend and will post them soon. I was very impressed with the quality of the photos. I don't believe the GH2 is sharper than the K5 at base ISO. In my eyes, they are at least equally sharp. It may however be largely dependant on the lens used. I thought the GH2 was sharper than the Sony A55 though, even when I was using the Zeiss 16-80. The K-5 photos also seemed to have more "pop" to it than the GH2.

While the K-5 is a bit bigger and heavier than I care for, at this time, even though my experience with both cameras has been fairly limited, I can say that I like the IQ from the K-5 still photos more than the GH2. On the other hand, I like the handling of the GH2, the fast AF even with the LCD, and the swivel LCD better.

Alas, if they could just stick the guts of the K-5 into a weather sealed body shaped like the GH2 (and add a front dial and a couple more buttons).
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    I quite agree - it's great. My issue was not about the quality, but that when I want macro I'd rather use the 35mm, and if I want 100mm, then I'm more likely to have a longer zoom attached.

I was hoping to use the funds for a 77 FA - which I would use for portraits.

So, my lens sales are nothing to do with quality, but more to do with amount of use . . .

Having said all of that, I'm beginning to wonder about the 100 macro anyway

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The 77 is a wonderful lens, LOL.
    Too many nice primes here in this line to iqnore it any longer. The only one i did not make friends with was the 15 as well. Mine was soft all over at F4. At F8 the center was still not sharp.
    Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not a nice day here, but it's kind of teetering on the edge of spring.

so here are some springish shots!

First some coffee - here is the debris:

with the 35 f2.8 macro

We had the first asparagus the other evening - I guess it had been forced, and it wasn't that grand, but it's always a treat:

with the 18-135

The chickens are enjoying it - even our pathetic auraucana cockerel!

16-50 DA*

The daffodils are in full swing

16-50 DA*

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pentax K-5 with Sigma 70/2.8 Macro lens: first day's tryout images.

Roy Benson
    Last edited by benroy; 30th April 2011 at 00:52.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Great captures, Roy!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

with the 35 f2.8 macro
    Nice, Jono...the creamy rendition is perfect here!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A few macros...heavy handed processing, all shot with a 100 mm f/4 SMC-M lens, shot manually and handheld at ISO 1600, wide open, using the K5 in early evening lighting:

'

Seems like spring has brought out the macro in all of us...

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin,

I really like the first B&W macro. The texture makes the photo.

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Great shots all.
    Jono- You always have great pictures of the "ordinary" things in life.

Roy- That Sigma looks like a winner. Very good color, sharpness, and pop.

Ashwin - That 100/4 looks like it's working out. The texture is great and gives the impression of film grain and watercolors.

I should stay away from this section of the forum. My K5 resistance is wearing down daily.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

HI There

Jono,
    you should hear the Leica 120Macro going from close to infinity. I wonder how many horsepowers the motor has.

Post Thanks / Like

Can Jono or anyone else tell me whether the silver color of the silver K-5 comes from silver paint on the body, or is that the color of the metal itself we are looking at?

Not that I am considering buying one or anything .