The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Sapphie

Jim, Vince

I think the 18-135mm is a great all-rounder. It is quite expensive but I sort of justified it by the cashback offer Pentax had in the UK a while ago (not that this helps you now); and once you've spent the money you forget how much you spent don't you? I don't know what to say -it does vignette a little in the middle of the range but overall the IQ is great, in my opinion. My first digicam (Minolta Dimage 7i) cost me nearly £1000 several years ago, so relatively speaking, I am finding the K5 a bargain.

I also have the 43mm - have had it from my film days. I keep meaning to use it more and wonder why I don't. I think I need to re-calibrate it for my K5 as I haven't been totally happy with the focusing with it. But, that aside, it is stunning.

But then you might want to consider the 21mm Ltd or the 35mm Ltd macro options. I have neither lens but both are on my 'LBA radar'!! I am not deliberately trying to muddy anybody's waters here ...

Oh and Carl - how do you do it? I mean keep making those shots look so 'medium format'?

:)

Lee

vincechu

Lee - nice photo - looks like saphie is getting comfy there! seems ur ff is gone?

Jim - The DA* 55 1.4 is weather sealed and very sharp with good bokeh, though a bit long for a general lens. The 43 has amazing rendering and people often pick it over the 31ltd if they don't mind having a slightly longer standard lens, as its cheaper.

A quick thought, I'm not sure about the lens prices where you are, but here in the UK you can get 2 DA limited for the price of a FA limited which may be worth considering. People seem to go for either 15 or 21 and 35macro or 40. A duo made from these make a fine flexible carry everywhere kit. Amazingly the 40 DA limited weights only 90g, whilst the others are around 150-200g, crazy light!

Carl (Scho) and jono have more experience with more primes than I do, so it would be interesting to see what they have to say.

vincechu

Jim, Vince

I think the 18-135mm is a great all-rounder. It is quite expensive but I sort of justified it by the cashback offer Pentax had in the UK a while ago (not that this helps you now); and once you've spent the money you forget how much you spent don't you? I don't know what to say -it does vignette a little in the middle of the range but overall the IQ is great, in my opinion. My first digicam (Minolta Dimage 7i) cost me nearly £1000 several years ago, so relatively speaking, I am finding the K5 a bargain.

I also have the 43mm - have had it from my film days. I keep meaning to use it more and wonder why I don't. I think I need to re-calibrate it for my K5 as I haven't been totally happy with the focusing with it. But, that aside, it is stunning.

But then you might want to consider the 21mm Ltd or the 35mm Ltd macro options. I have neither lens but both are on my 'LBA radar'!! I am not deliberately trying to muddy anybody's waters here ...

Oh and Carl - how do you do it? I mean keep making those shots look so 'medium format'?

:)

Lee
I got mine with the cashback offer too Lee, though with the 18-55 WR which isn't too bad. Have to say I am considering the 18-135 still, will have to see if I can get the funds together :)

Don't get me started with LBA :D I have the DA 15 and 70 on my to buy list. But crazily enough I'm thinking of selling my 31 to fund the 35macro and 15 (more flexibility) as I'm short on funds... I could probably get both with the money from the 31! Though I'd definately miss the speed and bokeh... grrrr LBA's pretty annoying lol :deadhorse:

Ideal kit for me would be 18-135mm, 15, 31, 70/77 - think carls got this though with the 35.

scho

I have been following the thread and have seem a lot of great shots. Based on these and the 1.03 software fix I am about to take the plunge again and order a replacement K5 for the one I sent back. I am definitely ordering the 18-135 as a waterproof walk around lens.

With that combo decided upon which single other lens would you buy at this time? Last time I bought the 43 and really liked it but I willing to look at an alternative. Definitely only one more for now!

Jim
Jim, The 18-135 is definitely a worthy first choice lens. A single second lens is more of a personal decision and I would be hard pressed to recommend just one prime lens. Several very good primes have already been suggested and I would add the 15 to the list if you want a wide option. If you want to stay with weather resistant zooms then the upcoming DA 12-35mm DC WR lens sounds tempting as a wide companion to the 18-135.

This is one of three shots since my 1.03 firmware upgrade. It's dark outside and not a lot of light inside. All I did to this was put NR at 20 and clarity at 30 in Lightroom.

18-135mm at 68mm. ISO 3200. 1/10th sec, f6.3 hand held. SR on!

Sapphie had long ago stolen my seat and really just wanted to be left alone!

Lee
Sapphie does look quite comfortable and you captured the "don't bother me" look very nicely. Seems as though 1.03 is working well for you in low liight.

JMaher

Carl,

I'll add the 15 to my possible list. In real life I will probably buy more than one prime but not right away.

I saw your comment on cheating - it just seems unfair (grin). How many shots do you usually stitch?

Jim

scho

Carl,

I'll add the 15 to my possible list. In real life I will probably buy more than one prime but not right away.

I saw your comment on cheating - it just seems unfair (grin). How many shots do you usually stitch?

Jim
Usually just 3-4 images, as in the waterfall shots posted above.

vincechu

Apologies as this is slightly :OT: (sorry, felt the urge to use the smiley :D )

Carl, heads up, I just noticed you're one away from your milestone 1000th post :bugeyes: (just in case u want make it memorable or something ;) )

m3photo

Re: Weather Sealed Lenses

If you want to stay with weather resistant zooms then the upcoming DA 12-35mm DC WR lens sounds tempting as a wide companion to the 18-135.
I wonder if Pentax will ever offer WR Pancakes? My walk-around kit back in the day was a K10 with 21mm and 70mm Pancakes and I'd rather have these two weather sealed together with a K5 than have to lug around an 18-135.

scho

Re: Weather Sealed Lenses

I wonder if Pentax will ever offer WR Pancakes? My walk-around kit back in the day was a K10 with 21mm and 70mm Pancakes and I'd rather have these two weather sealed together with a K5 than have to lug around an 18-135.
I would also like to see at least one weather resistant small prime. The 18-135 is a fine lens and was purchased primarily for foul weather shooting, but as you noted it is bulky compared to the little pancakes. I debated awhile about lenses to take on my recent holiday trip and the primes won (took the 15, 35, 70 kit). I didn't anticipate any rain and fortunately we had nothing but sunshine for 7 days.

m3photo

Re: Weather Resistant Prime

I would also like to see at least one weather resistant small prime. I debated awhile about lenses to take on my recent holiday trip and the primes won (took the 15, 35, 70 kit).
I'd even settle for a weather resistant 35mm f/2 or even the f/2.4 prime (the 50mm equivalent has always been my favourite) and on a K-5 would be perfect - do you hear us Pentax?

scho

Another local waterfall, Buttermilk Falls. Snowmelt is now in full swing and the streams are running high.

K5+18-135 (3 image stitch)

vincechu

Wow carl, I'm jealous, you seem to live in a very intersting/scenic area - I bet these waterfalls u've shared with us will look beautiful in Summer.

I too wish pentax will create a few more WR primes, especially as 50mm equiv. But perhaps Pentax is worried another lens around 30-35mm will damage sales of the 35macro and 31?

Personally I'd love to see a redesigned 31 (similar to the redesign of the 100macro) to suit digital, WR, with better/no built in hood and better resistance to CA - which imo is the only weakness of the 31. But again questionable due to its legendary status.

Essay due in on Monday, so no more photos from me til later :-(

scho

Wow carl, I'm jealous, you seem to live in a very intersting/scenic area - I bet these waterfalls u've shared with us will look beautiful in Summer.

I too wish pentax will create a few more WR primes, especially as 50mm equiv. But perhaps Pentax is worried another lens around 30-35mm will damage sales of the 35macro and 31?

Personally I'd love to see a redesigned 31 (similar to the redesign of the 100macro) to suit digital, WR, with better/no built in hood and better resistance to CA - which imo is the only weakness of the 31. But again questionable due to its legendary status.

Essay due in on Monday, so no more photos from me til later :-(
The numerous waterfalls and gorges in this area are indeed very nice in the summer. However, winter and early spring are a bit gruesome.

I would love to have a 24mm f/2 or 2.8 limited, WR prime - but, I doubt that Pentax marketing thinks that such a lens would be worthwhile - sigh!

Happy writing.

Sapphie

This time with 43mm Ltd. It's a nice lens (especially now that I have calibrated it at + 10 !!)

f/5.6, 1/125th sec , ISO 160. No PP.

but I did miss having my 18-135mm

Lee

scho

This time with 43mm Ltd. It's a nice lens (especially now that I have calibrated it at + 10 !!)

f/5.6, 1/125th sec , ISO 160. No PP.

but I did miss having my 18-135mm

Lee
Lee,

Very nice image of the lichens. Great color and sharp detail.

Sapphie

Beautiful spring day today. K5 + 18-135mm excelled itself. The lems may have some CA and vignetting but is incredibly flare-resistant.

One shot:

Lee

Last edited:

vincechu

Lee - stunning photo - love the use of the 16:9 ratio, the weather was much warmer up in Cheshire too - sunny, clear blue skies, very photogenic weather.

Unfortunately I'm stuck writing an essay due tomorrow :deadhorse:, so didn't get to go out...

Boring essay writing!!! *yawn* by vincechu89, on Flickr

(posted smaller to hide the 31ltd's CA on the letters...)