The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

iiiNelson

Can Jono or anyone else tell me whether the silver color of the silver K-5 comes from silver paint on the body, or is that the color of the metal itself we are looking at?

Not that I am considering buying one or anything :rolleyes:.
I'm kind of interested in the silver one too... :LOL:

ecsh

Both of you know that you cannot resist,:ROTFL:
I am surprised you have taken this long.
Joe

iiiNelson

No I can't resist and it's probably my next photographic purchase... Just have to decide what I'm going to do with the NEX-5 and G1... Maybe IR convert one of them...

scho

No I can't resist and it's probably my next photographic purchase... Just have to decide what I'm going to do with the NEX-5 and G1... Maybe IR convert one of them...
That is what I did. The G1 makes an excellent IR camera and you can use the nice little Pentax limited lenses with it as well using a Fotodiox K to m43 adapter. :thumbup:

iiiNelson

I think the main thing I'm holding out for is the Sony announcement of their high end APS-C camera. If it's weather sealed with the same output quality of the current generation of Sony cameras than that presents some more decisions.

Sapphie

You are all mad ...

We don't like 'Pay & Display' machines in the UK:

And as it was such a dull day I thought I'd try the 18-135 in B&W:

Lee

scho

You are all mad ...

And as it was such a dull day I thought I'd try the 18-135 in B&W:

Lee
At least you don't have any of that nasty white stuff hanging on. Nice valley view in B&W, although it doesn't look like a very safe place to live. Has this village ever experienced any serious flooding?

Sapphie

This "should'nt be possible" eh?

ISO 6400, only PP is + 20 NR. Both with Tamron 90mm SP manual focus macro lens:

Sapphie's eyes:

and a feeble attempt at macro:

Lee

Sapphie

At least you don't have any of that nasty white stuff hanging on. Nice valley view in B&W, although it doesn't look like a very safe place to live. Has this village ever experienced any serious flooding?
Carl

Lynmouth, North Devon. Yes, serious flood tradgedy 1952.

Lee

jonoslack

Can Jono or anyone else tell me whether the silver color of the silver K-5 comes from silver paint on the body, or is that the color of the metal itself we are looking at?

Not that I am considering buying one or anything :rolleyes:.
Hi Amin. Emma has offered to hit mine with a hammer to check how it chips. I have persuaded her not to!
I'd guess that the metal is always painted (whether black or silver) but I'm not sure. It doesn't look like it'll rub off in a hurry. The silver buttons and dials are made of plastic. Perfectly good plastic, put plastic nevertheless!
the build quality is fab, nice to have scratch resistant glass, but I think the bigger handgrips is for bigger hands than mine.

When my black one comes back I'll be reviewing my position. What I'd really like is the black one with the scratch resistant glass.

But the camera is fab. You need one :ROTFL:

Amin

Thanks, Jono! Soon I'll have no choice other than to abandon this thread or buy one...

Sapphie

Jono - When your black one comes back from where? Have you had to send it for repair or something?

Jim - fantastic shot!

Lee

jonoslack

Jono - When your black one comes back from where? Have you had to send it for repair or something?

Jim - fantastic shot!

Lee
Yes Jim - splendid
and your macro attempt is original and good Lee - as is the shot of Lynmouth. The shot of Sapphie's eyes is also great - now I understand your login name!

I'm in Brane right now (between St Just and St Buryan on the moors). The weather is cr@p as usual, but the silver K5 shines out in the dark!

Lee - the black one had a very small 'sensor stain' - it was one of the first cameras. It was actually completely irrelevant (showing up at f22 on white walls with lots of levels adjustment). But it was there, and it seemed that as I had the silver one it'd be a good time to get it fixed (in case I wanted to sell it).

Right now I'm thinking that I might actually keep both bodies, but I'll think again when the black one comes back.

here is a picture of some gorse with the 16-50, just to prove that I'm in Cornwall:

Sapphie

Nice gorse, Jono. That yellow gorse you get near the Cornish coast with a blue sea as background can be magical. I managed to escape seeing the silver K5 today cos the dealer said he had an interested customer in his 'other' store in Barnstaple and I don't think he really thought I'd buy it seeing that he knew I had a black one already! It would make more sense to buy some extra lenses ...

Hope the weather cheers up for you

Lee

Terry

I purposely try to avoid this thread. :).

So the silver has deeper grip, different screen, what else?

JMaher

Great photos from everyone. I need to get out from working and go photograph something.

Jim - the sax is just fantastic. I love the rich tones.

Lee - the b&w landscape is very nice. I need to try my hand at b&w. It's been too many years.

Jono -I thought you had gotten ride of the 16-50. Is this a new one?

Jim