The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

scho

Ashwin - lovely black and white - splendid.

Here are a couple more seaside snaps. At this time of year you expect to be swaddled in layers of material with walking boots, but we were sunbathing and swimming (brrr). There was another couple on the beach, and a few dog walkers so that Caspar could have a bit of fun:
I think the expression is 'We wish you were here'

These were all taken with the humble 18-135
Jono,

Beautiful series of seaside images and a handsome portrait of Caspar. You certainly can make that 18-135 sing on the K5.

JMaher

OT- The speakers are his own design using ScanSpeak revelator drivers. One of the best designs I have ever heard and I go the High End Audio show at CES every year.

Jim

benroy

Subscriber Member
K-5 and 50-135 zoom. Haven't seen much of images produced by the Pentax 50-135/2.8 zoom, so I thought I would share a few taken in the backyard garden. I must apologize for the lack of range in the pics...the result of my lack of range, I'm afraid. I must also apologize for not being able to produce the large pics most of you use to display your images...I haven't figured out how you do that...maybe you will share that process with me. I'm using "save to web" on Photoshop Elements, converting raw to jpeg and reducing the images to 35%...thus the postage stamps. Your help in improving this process would be greatly appreciated.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

vincechu

Wow I've only been away for a few days and this thread has certainly exploded into life! Some amazing photos by all.

I just got some colour management kit finally, so hope to PP a few photos from the last week or so to share.

BTW, this thread sure isn't helping my LBA!! ;-) I'm now wanting the 50-135mm, 43ltd and 18-135mm!

jonoslack

Jim
Your friend looks so quietly proud of his speaker - lovely gentle shot.
Roy
the botanical shots are wonderful - that 50-135 is clearly a fine lens - with the 16-50 and the 60-250 it would be an unforgiveable extravagance for me . . . but it's hard to fight against!

Vince - it's woken up a bit hasn't it!

all the best

jonoslack

here are a few more snaps from our trip to Cornwall:

first of all some more with the 18-135:

Here is one with the Sigma 10-20 f3.5:

and finally a couple with the DA* 15-60

Sapphie

Jono

Please stop it. Makes me long for being on hols ...

You have the Sigma wide? How is it? I am trying to decide between 12-24mm (big ish), 21mm, 15mm, or just stick with what I get from 18-135. The Sigma was also suggested to me recently.

Nice chickens!

Lee

jonoslack

Jono
Whats a 15-60?
Torn between the 18-135, and 16-50, although i hate zooms, LOL
Joe
Hi Joe
It's a typo . . . it's the 16-50.:eek::)
If you hate zooms, then why buy one? but if you are going to buy one, why not the 18-135, it's pretty functional, covers a bigger range and is much smaller.

jonoslack

Jono

Please stop it. Makes me long for being on hols ...

You have the Sigma wide? How is it? I am trying to decide between 12-24mm (big ish), 21mm, 15mm, or just stick with what I get from 18-135. The Sigma was also suggested to me recently.

Nice chickens!

Lee
Sorry Lee . . . .
but if it's any consolation I'm definitely not on hols - we did have the weekend, but Emma is dealing with stuff at the house, and I'm working full time on support and helpdesk during working hours . . . does that make you feel better?

I've had several of the Sigma ultra-wides, they always seem good. I haven't used this one enough to be sure, but it seems fine - certainly better than my copy of the 15 DA at 15. I remember reading somewhere that if you make a ultra-wide, then you don't sacrifice any quality by making it into a 2 times zoom. It's not that big, it focuses fast and quietly (and close). It's also f3.5 through the full range (FWIW).

Glad you like the chickens . . . that house is in Treen - must be worth a bob or two.

DavidL

here are a few more snaps from our trip to Cornwall:
Hi Jono, I'm down at the Lizard guinea pig sitting for a few days next week, hope we get good weather. First time to Cornwall this year.
Devon has been good and I saw grass snake, adder and several lizards basking in the middle of March.
This Pentax thing is starting to attract me as retirement looms (I'm actually almost retired now as far as commercial work goes). I only have a D700 and a 24-120 left, for portraits, plus flashguns and controller. I got a GH2 thinking I'd have a go at video but have changed my mind. So I may shift that lot for a Pentax and a couple of lenses, currently thinking 12-24 f4 and 50-135 f2.8. The small primes are also attractive. The standard zoom your using seems pretty good too.
Where in Cornwall were the beach shots? Presume North or South of Brane
Best wishes
Dave (the cat smuggler)

Last edited:

jonoslack

Dave Hi!
Great to hear from you - I'm sorry we'll pass like ships in the night - we're off home again on Saturday - guinea pig sitting sounds very exciting - I hope they have a good store of them, as I doubt they withstand sitting for too long. . . . . .Emma wants wildlife pictures of guinea pigs please!

I got a lizard shot the day before yesterday, and Emma saw a grass snake on the fen just before we left.

The 50-135 seems to be a very reliable and popular lens - I went for the 60-250 f4 instead, and that's good as well. Don't know the 12-24, but it does have good press.

The beach shots are at Pedn Vounder (Logan's rock) There's something really exquisite having a beach like that to oneself.

My retirement retires further and further into the future every month - I'm aiming at June 2021, but I doubt I'll manage it!

All the very very best

Hi Jono, I'm down at the Lizard guinea pig sitting for a few days next week, hope we get good weather. First time to Cornwall this year.
Devon has been good and I saw grass snake, adder and several lizards basking in the middle of March.
This Pentax thing is starting to attract me as retirement looms (I'm actually almost retired now as far as commercial work goes). I only have a D700 and a 24-120 left, for portraits, plus flashguns and controller. I got a GH2 thinking I'd have a go at video but have changed my mind. So I may shift that lot for a Pentax and a couple of lenses, currently thinking 12-24 f4 and 50-135 f2.8. The small primes are also attractive. The standard zoom your using seems pretty good too.
Where in Cornwall were the beach shots? Presume North or South of Brane
Best wishes
Dave (the cat smuggler)

ashwinrao1

Have been slack on photos (i.e. hard at work in the real world) recently, hope to have more to post soon! All taken with the K5 and 135 mm f/2.5 SMC (original K mount lens), which is a truly stellar and unique lens, from what I can tell...has a lovely, vintage rendering...

Here are a few from today, around campus where I work:

Last edited: