The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

scho

Thanks Carl....I do still have the IR Panny. I did not know that about the FA's on the m4/3 mount. I'll give them a whirl.

Off topic.....I made a list of all the Canon gear that can be going on the block. Amazing how much that this camera will be replacing.

R
I have a similar long Canon list that will soon be on the B/S forum.
Two more with the FA43...
I like this lens....R
Very nice shots with the 43 - a sweet lens indeed.

Armanius

Armanius,

Did you get your 35 f2 yet?

I am thinking about buying a fast (normal) lens and two that seem to stand out are the 35 f/2 and the 31. Has anyone compared the two or maybe has both and can talk about relative strengths? If not any of the above how about just anyone who has used the 35 f/2?

Jim
Hi Jim-

FA35 just arrived. Just took a couple of shots around the office, and it seems to be very sharp even wide open at F2. Stopped it down to F4, and it was razor sharp.

Lens construction is very good, but it's no LTD. It's sturdy, light, and about the size of two FA43, but a bit skinnier diamater wise. It comes with a bayonet hood, and a nice padded pouch.

AF on the K-5 is very fast, but noisy like the FA100 WR. But unlike the FA100, it runs through its entire focus length in about 0.5 seconds, unlike the FA100's 2-3 seconds of painful dentist drill noise!

Auto focus seems to be spot on under phase detect via OVF and constrast detect via live view.

So far so good. Will take it around for a spin over the weekend.

JMaher

Armanius,

Thanks for the update on the 35. I look forward to hearing more about it as you have the opportunity to use it a little more. It's odd how much bigger it is compared to the 43 but I suspect it's much smaller than the equivalent Canon lens.

Jim

Amin

Jono, the cow shot is brilliant, and I like the Land Rover comp as well.

I'm stumped about your M8 photo. What's the deal?

Armanius

Armanius,

Thanks for the update on the 35. I look forward to hearing more about it as you have the opportunity to use it a little more. It's odd how much bigger it is compared to the 43 but I suspect it's much smaller than the equivalent Canon lens.

Jim
I think the FA35 is about 1.5 inches long. The FA43 can't be even an inch. So maybe it's not twice the length. But the FA35 definitely not a pancake. Maybe more like a cupcake!

JMaher

A cupcake is fine as long as it is sharp and fast.
Although I must admit the Limited lenses have their charm.
Jim

emr

I think the FA35 is about 1.5 inches long. The FA43 can't be even an inch. So maybe it's not twice the length. But the FA35 definitely not a pancake. Maybe more like a cupcake!
What, is he FA43 really that small? I have the DA 40mm and it's like the definition of a pancake, but i always thought (without using or handling one) that the FA 43 is somewhat bigger.

Armanius

What, is he FA43 really that small? I have the DA 40mm and it's like the definition of a pancake, but i always thought (without using or handling one) that the FA 43 is somewhat bigger.
The DA40 is not really a pancake. It's more like a wafer!

Was/Is there a thinner or shorter lens than the DA40?

Rich M

Here are a couple of simple shots all taken with the DA* 60-250

Aaahhh.....the Beast. Classic.

Jono-

Knowing you had the 60-250, I was going to ask you to post a few pics. Thank you.

What are you impressions so far about the lens? A keeper? The WR lenses are one of the reasons I am switching over to Pentax. I'll be going to Africa in a few months and am trying to plan my kit.

R

benroy

Subscriber Member
Loved the cow's backsides, Jono...udderly fascinating! I picked up a 21/3.2 DA lens yesterday and would like to share the results of my trial run. I have used 21 Super Angulons and Biogons for interiors and architecturals for years...I make no pretense at comparing the Pentax lens with those legends.I have a very limited range, so no traffic shots, groups, city lights, etc. Just around my neighborhood while walking the dog. Had the dog on a leash with one hand and shot with the other hand...in my opinion, a nice, sharp, compact little lens that would make a great street outfit with the K-5.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

m3photo

Re: Dog on a Leash

I picked up a 21/3.2 DA lens yesterday and would like to share the results of my trial run.../..Had the dog on a leash with one hand and shot with the other hand...
Lovely little lens. I've linked a few times here to sets done with this one and the 70mm.
With regards to dog in one hand camera in the other; do excuse me if I'm teaching an old monkey to make faces here but when I want to take a photo the dog invariably doesn't so he tugs at the leash and anything below 1/8000 is ruined :D
The trick is to stand on the leash; you have two hands free and a dog that won't spoil your picture taking.

P.S. Not applicable to St. Bernards etc.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the tip....I've got the dog (mini dachshund) pretty well trained...most times when I stop and raise the camera, she stops and waits me out...I'm shooting at ISO 400 and a shutter speed of 400 and have had no trouble with shake (K-5's IS helps)...getting lines straight is another story.

I've got a Zeiss 25 ZK that is much bigger and heavier than the 21...I don't think I can one-hand that combination...but the 21, 40 pancake, and 70/2.4 have not been a problem.

Roy Benson

jonoslack

Lovely little lens. I've linked a few times here to sets done with this one and the 70mm.
With regards to dog in one hand camera in the other; do excuse me if I'm teaching an old monkey to make faces here but when I want to take a photo the dog invariably doesn't so he tugs at the leash and anything below 1/8000 is ruined :D
The trick is to stand on the leash; you have two hands free and a dog that won't spoil your picture taking.

P.S. Not applicable to St. Bernards etc.
HI Michael - excellent advice, but it doesn't stop them cocking their legs on that cowslip you were about to take a macro of. . . which has happened to me on several occasions. I've found training them to sit and wait is the best thing - preferably without a lead!

Rich M

HI Michael - excellent advice, but it doesn't stop them cocking their legs on that cowslip you were about to take a macro of. . . which has happened to me on several occasions. I've found training them to sit and wait is the best thing - preferably without a lead!
I'm learning a lot today.....

cowslip = cowpie
lead = leash

FA = :confused: ??

Armanius

Hello everyone! Hoping all of you are having a wonderful weekend. Three photos are with the new FA35/2 that arrived yesterday. Still testing it out. Seems pretty sharp wide open. Focus (like all the other lens I've used on the K-5 so far) seems to be much more accurate using CDAF in live view. After using the FA35/2 and taking lots of photos of a magazine (fun stuff), there may be just a slight front focus. But nothing that bothers me too much.

Anyhow, here are some pics!

FA35/2, F2, ISO100 - This is a new cup, not the same one as the previous Seattle's Best test photo!

FA35/2, F2.8, ISO3200 - inside the parking garage at night - no NR applied in LR3.3

FA35/2, F2, ISO3200 - my standard non-paid model (a.k.a. girlfriend) - no NR applied in LR3.3