The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

JMaher

You go away for a day or two and it's hard to keep up here. Great shots by everyone.

Armanius - any more thoughts on the 35 f2? The shots you posted look very sharp.

Jono - nice shots with the Zeiss.

Jim

JMaher

A few shots from Naples, FL. My first time there on a two day holiday.

All with the 18-135. It's a very versatile lens and I haven't decided what else to buy. I am debating among many. Currently the 35 f/2 versus a 31.

Our hotel

20110410-IMGP0500 by jmmtampa, on Flickr

20110410-IMG_0556 by jmmtampa, on Flickr

A few shots around town

20110410-IMGP0482 by jmmtampa, on Flickr

20110411-IMGP0518 by jmmtampa, on Flickr

20110411-IMGP0527 by jmmtampa, on Flickr

Jim

Apparently I added one photo incorrectly - the 2nd hotel shot (by the pool) was actually taken with my S90. Sorry about that!

Last edited:

vincechu

Jim beautiful photos - I particularly like the photo of the red fish and tree bokeh in the back. You're really tempting me to get the 18-135 as my walk around lens - it seems to have good IQ, color and bokeh, as well as flexiblity and WR.

From a few discussions with Armanius about the 35mm F2, it seems it offers a lot of value for money. From what I've seen they have similar sharpness but I think the 31 has smoother bokeh and renders slightly differently. The 35 is 1/3 of the price of the 31 here in the UK but it's certainly not 1/3 of the IQ. It's pretty much impossible to find a 35 in the UK new so I went for the 31.

If you're interested in seeing a few photos from the 31 heres a link to my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vincechu89/tags/31mm/ However I have to admit my skills don't make full use of the 31's brilliant IQ! I'd say the 2nd and 4th pages on that link have better photos which show the 31's characteristics.

JMaher

Vince,

I enjoyed looking at your Flicker photos.

Here the 50/2 is $475 and the 31 is $1149. I could buy the 35/2 and another lens for the price of the 31. The question obviously is - is it worth it? It's hard to tell unless you have handled both. I appreciate your input.

The 18-135 is a very nice lens. I just miss the ability to have a larger f stop and to be able to easily control my backgrounds.

Jim

benroy

Subscriber Member
Benroy - The 21 3.2 is looking very sharp! My favourite of the ones u posted is the first one which has good composition and a nice subject in the tree and bench. However I think it would be even better if you had could tweak the sky to the top left?[/QUOTE]

Here's a black and white version of that shot...much more in the early evening/dusk mood.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Armanius

Armanius - any more thoughts on the 35 f2? The shots you posted look very sharp.

Jim
Hi Jim-

I may be doing a write up at SeriousCompacts.com that will include photos from the FA35.

I'm keeping the FA35 for sure. It'll be my first keeper lens for the K5. Decent construction, fast AF, and fairly accurate AF. It's definitely sharp wide open and renders a nice bokeh too. The AF is noisy like the FA100 WR. But because the focus throw is so short and fast, the dentist drill noise is not as pronounced as the 2 seconds of pain that I experience with the FA100.

I see the FA35 as my every day lens. Fast enough for most bad lighting situations. Wide enough for snap shots around the town. And long enough for some portrait work.

Even though it's supposed to be discontinued, new ones are priced at $475 at BH. Maybe they started making them again? I do think $475 is a bit pricey for the construction of the lens (IQ-wise, it's worth it). The FA35 is very similar in built and IQ as the slightly faster lens from Sony (the SAM35/1.8). However, the Sony is $200. I guess the DA35/2.4 is Pentax's entry level, but that too is priced higher than the Sony. Of course, everything is relative as the FA35 is MUCH cheaper than the FA31 Ltd.

Armanius

Here the 50/2 is $475 and the 31 is $1149. I could buy the 35/2 and another lens for the price of the 31. The question obviously is - is it worth it? It's hard to tell unless you have handled both. I appreciate your input.

The 18-135 is a very nice lens. I just miss the ability to have a larger f stop and to be able to easily control my backgrounds.

Jim
WOW, they jacked up the price on the FA31 too? Price gouging. Four weeks ago, it was about $960.

With the FA31 $200 higher than it was before, IMO, the FA35 is definitely a good alternative at $475. Obviously, the FA31 is built much better. On the other hand, the FA35 is lighter, smaller, and might be a tad bit sharper wide open than the FA31 wide open. Like Vince said, the bokeh on the FA31 wide open might be a bit nicer than the FA35. But I can't complain about the bokeh of the FA35.

FA35 does come with a nice case too! :)

vincechu

Rich - beautiful photos, my favourite is the 2nd, I really like the composition, colour and lighting - well done. may i ask what lens you used?

Benroy - The black and white conversion is beautiful, its one of the best B&W conversions I've seen so far taken with a K5 and as you say it does capture the mood very well, well done :)

Raist -
Da 71, no weird filters or editing but a straight raw conversion in aperture + some sharpening.
I've also begun converting straight from raw with the k5, with minimum editing and I don't touch the colours. I find them pretty much spot on as they are - you've just gotta love the RAW files and the amount of data captured in them, useful for when you end up needing to 'save' a photo (due to wrong exposure etc)

I've got a few k5 + 31ltd photos to share later, though some of you may have seen them on my flickr already

jonoslack

Roy - the knob hill shot is fine - that 21 does actually rather tempt me.

Ricardo - love the street shot - as you say, the DR is splendid.

Rich - both great, but it's the fern that presses my button - so clean and fine.

Here are three shots from my newly loved 100 WR (having discovered how not to make it sound like a dentists drill).

Red:

Yellow

and Blue

Oh - and if I'm doing fruit I may as well do animals too.

Here is the damned cat in the cutlery cupboard again :angry:

(Iso 6400)

And the dog trying to look serious and intelligent
http://www.slack.co.uk/oddsandends/_K541433bw.jpg[/IMG

all the best

scho

Here are three shots from my newly loved 100 WR (having discovered how not to make it sound like a dentists drill).

Oh - and if I'm doing fruit I may as well do animals too.

Here is the damned cat in the cutlery cupboard again :angry:

And the dog trying to look serious and intelligent

all the best
Jono,

Beautiful shots with the 100 WR. I'm almost tempted to sell my 35 macro and get the 100,

JMaher

It's getting hard to keep up with all the great photos.

Rich - they are both great but the 2nd shot calls more to me. However the color in the fern is just fantastic.

Jono - the cat at 6400 is just a nice representation of real life.
You seem to be really liking the 100 once again.

There are too many good lenses to buy.

Jim

markwon

Rich, lovely colors and light!

Jono, that shot of the cat at ISO6400 is very impressive. hard to believe how much of the color/saturation is maintained.