The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

scho

Nice work everyone. The X100 has kept me away for awhile, but slowly coming back to the K5. Here are some sizzling red impatiens after a rain shower this morning. Taken with the DA 55-300.

ashwinrao1

Jim - that's lovely

Here's one from yesterday - tracking with the 18-135 - lots of hits at high speed:

all the best
Jono, there's something very nostalgic about this capture, feels like the summer breeze blowing through my hair as I look upon this...love the way it pops!

Knorp

All wonderful shots everybody :thumbup:

@Tom: I'm sorry you don't feel comfortable with the K5 system, please hang on to it for awhile.
But then you still have that magnificent S2 system ...

@Jim: those popping eyes, the colours, what a stunning portrait, well done !

@Jono: great result, so the K5 can do a bit of action after all !
Still I think shooting moving subjects on the ground is a different ball game.

@Neil: very nice shots and the bear is übercool, despite the bear chewing a bit of greenery good thing you were in your car, though.

@Carl: The 50-300 receives good reviews: lovely close-up here.

@Rich: these fine landscapes represent the past/present and I'm afraid to say the future.

Kind regards.

Knorp

Not much opportunities here, so here are some from a while back.

(Heavily cropped and PP)

Kind regards.

Last edited:

JMaher

This thread has some of the best images around. Everyone has contributed something great but in the past few days these two stand out for me. Wish I had taken them :).

Thanks Bart & Rich.

Jim

jonoslack

Jono......never thought gulls could look graceful, these certainly do.

Do tell......any specific settings you found that you favored....or just S&P?

R
HI There Rich
I had it on continuous focus with multiple spots - it wasn't perfect, but plenty of hits.
@Bart - I guess you're right that things would be different on the ground. I love the butterfly.
@Ashwin - thanks for the kind words
@Carl - those reds are certainly sizzling!

@Tom
Has it all gone yet? Maybe the answer for you is simply the camera and the small zoom . . . it's what I use most, and I would have thought it would be the best compliment to your S2 and M9?

all the best

gmack

The more I see of this K-5 the more I see a richness that I find a little elusive with my Nikon equipment. I guess the only way to know is to just go ahead and buy a K-5 and a limited prime and see if we connect.

scho

Not much opportunities here, so here are some from a while back.
Bart, Lovely butterfly shot and great ostrich portrait.

HI There Rich
I had it on continuous focus with multiple spots - it wasn't perfect, but plenty of hits.
Nice shooting Jono. The gull with the black head looks like our laughing gull. Is it the same species on your side?

benroy

Subscriber Member
Kudos to all for the fine pics: horses, birds, bees, bears, landscapes, moody beauty, butterflies, green frogs...a digital menagerie...and (almost overlooked) the scarlet impatiens.Have you taken a moment to look at the stuff in the other forums? You'll really appreciate how good the Pentax K-5 images are after a quick gander.

Roy Benson

Paratom

@Tom
Has it all gone yet? Maybe the answer for you is simply the camera and the small zoom . . . it's what I use most, and I would have thought it would be the best compliment to your S2 and M9?

all the best
Hi Jono,
not yet gone,
its a hard decission. Maybe if I have a chance to check out the zoom without having to buy it (could ask my local store). But I am not very confident.
Thank you for your help and usefull suggestions you made various times!
Tom

gmack

Hi Jono,
not yet gone,
its a hard decission. Maybe if I have a chance to check out the zoom without having to buy it (could ask my local store). But I am not very confident.
Thank you for your help and usefull suggestions you made various times!
Tom
I agree... it's a hard decision. I'm inclined to start with the 21 or the 35mm macro.

However, I do have a question. How many stops (roughly) do you gain with the Pentax in body image stabilization?

JMaher

Tom,

I will echo Jono's comment about the small zoom. I own two Pentax primes and have borrowed others and I use the 18-135 95% of the time. I like primes , and I have always owned and used them extensively. However there is something about the small. light, water resistant Pentax zoom. It renders beautifully and just seems to work in most circumstances.
Jim

jonoslack

Tom - Jim
We went to a Country passtimes event in Suffolk yesterday. Friends were staying, and it wasn't a time for taking many pictures. It was raining as well, so all I had was the K5 and the 18-135.

I didn't lose any shots from missed focus - it did a grand job, and in the low wet light the camera was lovely to use, fast, quiet, efficient.

I took lots of snaps, but here are four:

jonoslack

. . . . Then, a few minutes later, with the same lens, you can take these:

Of course, we all know that the right answer is an IQ 180 and a tripod with fantastic lenses . . . . but I'm loving the fact that a K5 with a 5 times zoom is getting interesting shots time after time without getting in the way

JMaher

Jono,

Great shots of the event. They all have an indefinable something that I really like.

The K5 is interesting. It seems to defy my normal habits. Just the 18-135 seems to be enough most of the time. I do cheat and use a flash frequently but that has nothing to do with the great ISO capability of the camera. I just have fun with lights!

Jim

Last edited: