The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

rparmar

Jim, those are spectacular. It might be very appropriate to get one printed large and framed as a gift for your thirtieth anniversary.

rparmar

Dartmoor was Darkmoor yesterday so boosted the files up a bit
21mm Limited again:deadhorse:
David, to my eyes the DA21 has nothing special in its rendering and I am happy enough with a much cheaper Vivitar 24/2.

That said, any lens is good in the hands of the right person. And I really enjoy those photos.... make me want to be right there with you in the countryside.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Always on the alert for wildlife pix...drinking dove: 50-135...coiled lizard: 300/4.5.

Roy Benson

BTW: no safari need for these pics...they were taken at the end of my driveway. The lizard is residing in hollowed out wood supporting my mail box.

Last edited:

Karlo

Pouff Karlo
These are wonderful - especially the second one - just the kind of thing the K5 is really good for. excellent.
@Karlo: Happy shooting with your K5 !
The first image with the single cloud is incredible! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Thank you all for your feedback, seeing this thread and all the wonderful pictures in it just makes me love my K-5 even more. :thumbs:

jonoslack

Another set with the 70/2.8 macro and K-5...same day, time as oleanders.

Pic #!: edge of croton leaf...pic #2: the "shroud" of Boca Raton...Pic #3: rusty screw in kid's cart...pic #4: weed in pebbles but shot for very strong 3 dimensional effect.

Roy Benson
Hi Roy - I've been looking at these again - the rusty screw is wonderful,and so is the 3rd shot in the next sequence - excellent!

Rich M

Still playing around with the Sigma 100-300 EX APO......focuses very fast and doesn't hunt at all. Needed major micro adjustment (+9)....but now it's fine. The K-5 is not a sports camera by any means, but there were a few keepers.

Trade winds finally came back....

R

benroy

Subscriber Member
Rich: looks like the new lens is a keeper...first shot (parasail) with great color...you'll join the long lens addicts yet. Are you hand-holding? What ISO and shutter speed combination were you using?

Roy Benson

MalcolmP

Hi all,
got out to the Kemble airshow in the Cotswolds on sunday with my significantly better half(or so she keeps telling me:))and a few other friends.
good day out with great light at times,just not always when and where you'd like it!stormy,overcast,sunny etc.
A few shots from the day,all with the Bigma O/S,apart from the biker,which was with my new toy a Lensbaby.A bit of a Marmite lens(either love or hate it)first real shot with it,so we'll see!
The RAF Red Arrows and a very famous prop plane(no apologies for the corny processing on the Spitfire:)
Cheers
Malc

Last edited:

Rich M

Malcolm .....WOW!!! I love second shot....the eight plane group (IGP3264.jpg). Classic.

Care to discuss your focus settings.....single shot....continuous?? I find with the Sigma 100-300 that I get more keepers with the continuous focus....but nowhere near what I used to get with my 1DIII.

I didn't know the Lensbaby was in a PK mount....it's an acquired taste ;).

R

Rich M

Rich: looks like the new lens is a keeper...first shot (parasail) with great color...you'll join the long lens addicts yet. Are you hand-holding? What ISO and shutter speed combination were you using?

Roy Benson
Roy....all hand held. Bright conditions let me stay at ISO 100-200 and still shoot at 1/1000, f/4.......with +0.7EC.

R

MalcolmP

Hi Roy and Rich,thanks for the kind comments.
Rich,like you I find continuous focus works ok.I use single spot focus and mainly spot or center metering 99.9%Cant speak about Cannon but I know Nikon AF is better than pentax too.Wont it be great when Pentax crack AF?last piece of the puzzle i feel:)Tell you what I find with the K5,,for some reason I find myself needing to dial in ev compensation less than most other bodies ive used!wierd?maybe me or the lens or perhaps the clouds are usually so dark you can meter off them:ROTFL:I see you used +.7 on you 100-300 shots(which are great by the way.i feel unqualified to comment too much on all the great shots on this forum) which i would expect,so perhaps the latter!
Are you happy to have left your 1d mk111 behind other than the AF?
Regards
Malc

Karlo

Some more fun with this great camera :). Mind you all my photos are shot with the kit lens ( waiting for my 50 1.2 and 100WR Macro to pass customs).
The pics are sharp as i have seen yet from any of my digitals but my resizing is probably not doing them justice as they are not as sharp here...

benroy

Subscriber Member
The 21's turn in the daily rotation of Pentax mount lenses: I will not editorialize...I got into "foot in mouth" for this last week.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Rich M

Are you happy to have left your 1d mk111 behind other than the AF?
Malc....I do miss the AF speed and accuracy....and the USM motors focus in a snap. However, I am quite happy to leave it all behind.....many reasons......some sound rather piddly (like attention getting white lenses), but additively, for me, the K-5 and the Pentax primes I own fit a niche that Canon never did.

R