The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

JMaher

Bart,
No bokeh shots at 1.7 but that is something I should probably try. When I first purchased the lens my initial testing determined that 1.7 was a little soft but it quickly sharpened up. It's small and compact and works very well for a discontinued and inexpensive lens.

You are correct about size. I with someone last night (a photojournalist) who normally shoots a D3 and he was talking about a 5DII and a 16-35 as a stealth camera. It's all relative.

Jim

Jim

VladimirYo

Hi Rich
Great place! I wish to be there :thumbup:

btw on a last IMG I think lower part too blure... Maiby you should try cut it a little? 1/4 for example. :)

Rich M

It's been five days since I got back from a trip to South Africa. The jet lag (not to mention distance) from Hawaii to there was killer. I am starting to go through some trip pics......but just a little background. I had been planning (read obsessing) for months as to what cameras to take and still be mobile.

I ended up with the K-5 plus the 18-135, 100WR, FA43, DA200 and my Sigma 100-300. Add to that a m4/3 kit (E-PL2) plus lenses. I only shot the 18-135 and the Sigma. Everything else sat in the camera bags......things just always happened quickly.

A drive north from Durban (via Mtubatuba) ended us up in St. Lucia. This is where a friend and wife of the couple I was traveling with did her crocodile research on the estuary of the Greater St. Lucia Wetland Park (now re-named like many things in SA to iSimangaliso).

Here's a dusk shot at the estuary that first evening:

Cute guys.....but hippos 8X killed more people last year than sharks.

Rich M

The next two days were spent inside the park. Golden hour was magical....I could have spent months there.

These were taken on one of the loop trails on the way to Cape Vidal at day's end.

Rich M

The couple I was with had a 12-year old daughter.....and my god, the three of them could spot fauna. They had amazing "animal eyes".

Still near sunset....

I was looking out of my side of the vehicle, when I spotted this about 30 yards from the side of the road stalking an antelope. We killed the engine and sat for the next half hour. We were the only people around.

My only regret is that for some reason I was shooting JPEG's, not RAW.....it took me two days to discover my error.

R

Cooler

Hello from Ukraine, guys! Thanks for the great thread!
A few weeks ago i bought 43lim for my K-5, very happy with this lens.
I made some photos when was in the village.

Knorp

I've caught the rock balancing disease:D Here's one I did in Cornwall recently
David
Requires some skill and concentration to get a rock pile like that, quite remarkable.
Good catch, David. But don't tell me you did this, right ?

Kind regards.

Knorp

I was looking out of my side of the vehicle, when I spotted this about 30 yards from the side of the road stalking an antelope. We killed the engine and sat for the next half hour. We were the only people around.

My only regret is that for some reason I was shooting JPEG's, not RAW.....it took me two days to discover my error.

R
Rich, your SA series is stunning and the shots of the hippos and that bird are superb. But the killer shot for me is this leopard: just awesome !

All the very best.

Knorp

Hello from Ukraine, guys! Thanks for the great thread!
A few weeks ago i bought 43lim for my K-5, very happy with this lens.
I made some photos when was in the village.
Welcome aboard, Bogdan !
And what a fine series to introduce yourself here (love the chickens and sunflowers).
You know the FA43 is Jim Radcliff's favorite Pentax lens (he's one hell of a photographer) and I can see your passion for this lens, too.
Hope to see more from the Ukraine :)

All the very best.

Rich M

Rich, your SA series is stunning and the shots of the hippos and that bird are superb. But the killer shot for me is this leopard: just awesome !

All the very best.
Bart, Jim, Vlad, Roy.......thanks for the comments. The one take away from this trip for me has been that the photo...the final product.....became secondary to the photographic process.

I always would work for the "shot".....but when I stopped working for it, the shot just came. It was very relaxing.

R