The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

mediumcool

Wow wow (car on fire). Good catch and different indeed. Hope nobody got hurt!

Ricardo
Nobody hurt, which is good (and I earned $250 from the local tabloid!). I suspect an unpaid bill was the reason behind the event. Possibly for illicit substances, if you get my meaning …

Last edited:

neilvan

Very nice Neil.......I still find focusing my MF lenses a task with the OVF on the K-5.

Yours are spot on.

R
One word for you Rich, LiveView (magnified). I guess that's a couple of words but you get the point. With a tripod it's fantastic, without, not so much. :p

That and the focus confirmation 'beep' make using the MF lenses easy...for me anyway.

Fun with the Pentax K5 IIS

Walked into a camera store today and there is was.. just one.. just arrived.. never opened.. Pentax K5 IIS. I tried it, I loved it, I brought it home.
Not much time to shoot today.. these are all pretty much right out of the camera JPGs taken with the K5 IIS and the DA* 50-135. I forgot to set the RAW to DNG and for now I am not going to bother with the PEF files.

neilvan

Not seeing anything that you could not get with a K-5, but hopefully the AF is much better.

- Riast
It's difficult to tell any camera apart when looking at images online*, the difference between the K-5 & K-5 IIs becomes quite clear when printing medium to large prints.

*-One exception, the Sigma DP2M, stunning IQ, blows my K-5 IIs/top-end lenses right out of the water IQ-wise. Functionally, the Pentax is much nicer to use naturally...

Not seeing anything that you could not get with a K-5, but hopefully the AF is much better.

- Riast
Well, I have a K5 and the IQ is visibly better out of the K5 IIs. I've been using a K5 for about two years (since March 2011) and feel I have enough experience with it to get the best IQ possible. One afternoon using the IIs was all it took to prove the value of the upgrade to me.

My K5 will soon be for sale.

Well, I have a K5 and the IQ is visibly better out of the K5 IIs. I've been using a K5 for about two years (since March 2011) and feel I have enough experience with it to get the best IQ possible. One afternoon using the IIs was all it took to prove the value of the upgrade to me.

My K5 will soon be for sale.
Hi Jim,

that sounds interesting. Can you estimate, how many stops the K5IIs is better in high ISO vs. your old K5 and how would you compare IQ and high ISO to your Fuji X-Pro1?

Print size would be max A3+ for me

Hi Jim,

that sounds interesting. Can you estimate, how many stops the K5IIs is better in high ISO vs. your old K5 and how would you compare IQ and high ISO to your Fuji X-Pro1?

Print size would be max A3+ for me
Sorry, but I just have not had the camera long enough to answer your question. I only managed an hour or so of shooting with it over the weekend. I'll post more on my website and here as I begin to use the camera more.

I have not yet shot any high ISO photos. Hope to remedy that this week if possible and my job does not get in the way of my photography.

Sorry, but I just have not had the camera long enough to answer your question. I only managed an hour or so of shooting with it over the weekend. I'll post more on my website and here as I begin to use the camera more.

I have not yet shot any high ISO photos. Hope to remedy that this week if possible and my job does not get in the way of my photography.
Thanks, that would be great.

Also AF performance compared to the old K5 and to the Fuji would be interesting...

Every new camera has to have a Cat Picture

Sometimes the only subject you can find is the cat. My wife was not willing to pose for a shot (no makeup and her hair was not "fixed" whatever that means).. so the cat had to do... no makeup and his hair was not "fixed" either.

K5 IIs 35mm f/2.8 ISO 400 1/13s handheld