The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

seakayaker

Lovely place the NW; what is that strange observation tower?
The smoke stack is attached to an older power plant building that is being taken down along with other buildings that make up an older public housing project to make way for replacement housing.

The view of Mt. Rainer, when the weather cooperates, does make a beautiful vista while walking down the street to catch the bus home after work.

Knorp

From a windy Sunday's afternoon visit tot the park.

| APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/100mm | ELPRO 1:1 |

Sunset in Texas

I was on the open plains outside of Amarillo, Texas when this sunset and the cattle caught my eye. Cliche as it may be, I can't help myself when it comes to sunsets and sunrises.. K5 and DA* 16-50mm

Shooting in Darkness by the light of the moon..

Here is a shot I took at Turner Falls near Davis, Oklahoma last night by the light of the almost full Super Moon. I couldn't make the trip Sunday so Friday after work a friend and I drove from Dallas to Oklahoma to try our luck shooting the falls at night. This was shot from an overlook of the falls about a quarter of a mile away from the falls. It was taken with the K5 IIs and the DA* 50-135mm. ISO was 1600 f/4 the exposure was four seconds.

Now here's the thing... the only thing I could really see well was the area near the bottom left of the photo. Light was coming from fluorescent lights in a vending machine area (that's where all the green is coming from). There was also light from a sodium vapor street light about 200 yards from the falls and light from a mercury vapor street light at the overlook from where I was shooting... and of course light from the moon. The section above the falls was illuminated only by the light of the moon.

I shot this RAW and did all post work in Photoshop CS6 and used Topaz for final treatment of the photo. Pretty amazing results considering I really could see none of this but a faint view of the base of the falls from where I was shooting. The light was too dim for the camera to lock focus so I set it to manual and put the lens on infinity.

I know this kind of work is not for everyone but I like to experiment... by the way, I did not get home until 4AM Saturday morning.. but it was worth the trip.

And here is what I started with out of the camera...