The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

Paratom

Excellent images here.
One question: my feeling is that the k5IIs has somewhat different color than the original K5 (at least in LR). I have the impression the original K5 color was somewhat smoother and less punchy than the K5IIs?
I have not shot the K5iis that much yet, but sometimes the color seem a little bit too much (oversaturated)?

DavidL

Spent ...

| APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/100mm |
I like all the macro stuff but this one has that something extra. More thought provoking to me. Maybe its just the result of all those Buddhist impermanence teachings I attended.
David

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Excellent images here.
One question: my feeling is that the k5IIs has somewhat different color than the original K5 (at least in LR). I have the impression the original K5 color was somewhat smoother and less punchy than the K5IIs?
I have not shot the K5iis that much yet, but sometimes the color seem a little bit too much (oversaturated)?
Tom,

I actually like the standard colors coming out of the K5IIs - one of the main reasons I shoot the K5IIs. I always need to add some color, saturation etc. to my Nikon NEFs, which I do not have to do with the Pentax DNGs.

But that night just be me?

MalcolmP

Tried a few "new to me" techniques on this-manual blend of 4 different focus points and a sky exposure frame.Learnt a lot,mainly don't try and blend wind blown barley:facesmack:
Lots of faults that show up when pixel peeping,so don't look too close:).I'll perhaps re-visit the p/p when I can face it again:)
Anyhow,a view from my neck of the woods in deepest darkest Herefordshire at harvest time.K5 with Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Cheers
Malc

Last edited:

Knorp

Hi Malcolm,
From where I am sitting, the barley looks fine ... :D
So you were stacking 4 or 5 images, I'd like to try that too one day.

Kind regards.

One of the Largest Locomotives Ever Built

The two shots below are of the Union Pacific "Big Boy". At 1.2 million pounds, the Big Boy is the largest steam locomotive ever built. Only eight such locomotives still exist, and rarely do they travel on the tracks. This one is on its way to a new home in Frisco, Texas from Dallas where it has been sitting for the last 40 years or so. You can read about the new home of this locomotive here.

I decided to do two shots, one in color and one in B&W.

Shot with the K5 IIs and DA* 16-50mm.

Beautiful Jim.....the B+W is exemplary.
Thanks, Rich... somethings just look better in B&W and every old locomotive I have ever shot seems more appealing to me as a B&W.

I was very fortunate to find this locomotive on my lunch hour the other day.. they (the folks moving it) were not very forthcoming with exact locations so I used Google Earth to view possible spots where it might be sitting until the move this weekend and found only one place it could be.. and there it was.. not another soul around it.. just me.

At 1.2 Million pounds this is one huge locomotive.

Elliot

This is an instance where I actually like the color better. Many of the features that come up in the color version are too subtle in the black-and-white, at least to my eyes. I really like seeing the contrast on the wheels, the lettering UNION PACIFIC, and the deep black of the locomotive. The heightened contrast in the top left of the sky on the black-and-white draws my eyes towards that and away from the main object, too.

Knorp

Re: One of the Largest Locomotives Ever Built

The two shots below are of the Union Pacific "Big Boy". At 1.2 million pounds, the Big Boy is the largest steam locomotive ever built. Only eight such locomotives still exist, and rarely do they travel on the tracks. This one is on its way to a new home in Frisco, Texas from Dallas where it has been sitting for the last 40 years or so. You can read about the new home of this locomotive here.

I decided to do two shots, one in color and one in B&W.

Shot with the K5 IIs and DA* 16-50mm.
Magnificent steam locomotive and good research on your part, Jim :clap:
I happen to own one of these giants, too: nr. 4013 in scale HO ...
:eek:

Kind regards.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Re: Jim's giant locomotive pic. I have to agree with Elliot that the color version provides more punch than the black and white...I think the black and white version was done a disservice by the transfer to jpeg and GetDPI's rendering of the image. I took the liberty of copying (forgive me, please, Jim) the b&w image to my Mac monitor and the image revealed all the punch (deeper blacks, better contrast) that Jim intended when he sent the image. No matter...it's a great pic either way. And I have deleted my copy of the image.

Roy Benson