The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Pentax K5

MalcolmP

Thank you guys for the kind comments and likes.
Bart,1/800th sec helped:).
Roy,sorry:eek: -Porthcawl,South Wales.
Rich,I think we missed the worst of it on our trip,but a quite high tide and a small lighthouse made it.:shocked:
A good friend of mine has enjoyed (rightly so )huge success with a similar but better shot than my first post and he suggested the location after our planA for the day didn't work out.I reakon the local tea shops have got him on a retainer!:).
One more given the B&W p/p.
Regards
Malc.
ps.handled a K3 in stock at local pusher today---the new grip is :thumbup:fabulous.mmmmmmmm..no,no no Malcolm not until the new year:cry:

:salute:So much good work above!
I went storm chasing here in the UK yesterday..
K5 with Tamron 70-200F2.8.
Bring on K3(when I've got the spare cash).
Regards
Malc.
Envy.... that shot of the wave and lighthouse is the kind of shot I dream of. Great work... highest compliment I can give you is... "I wish I had shot that."

jonoslack

Such great shots here. Of course, I understand it's only the camera, and if I had a Pentax I could get a shot like that wave shot:poke::ROTFL:
Anyway - fantastic stuff - Bart, Roy, Malcolm, Jim

All the very best to you guys (still miss my K5).

Knorp

From my visit to the Port of Amsterdam (IJmuiden).
Focusing on the 'Boulder' and its crew preparing for the upcoming storm.

MalcolmP

I think you've created a new genre Bart,-"orange fatalism":) very striking.
Agree with Bart,Roy,leaf shot is a cracker and that 70mm looks razor sharp in the others.
Jono, of course you are correct in your statement:) and I fully expect to see your name at the very start of the "fun with K3" THREAD;)
Regards
Malc

Paratom

Knorp,
I love those colors and the clarity.

I have a question to the Pentax users: How happy are you with the 16-50/2.8?
How you rate it vs the primes?

I have a k5IIs and now "just" the 43FA, the 21DA and the 18-135.
The 18-135 seems fine in the center but the corners are really not so great. (Expected for a zoom with such a range)
I do like the 43FA a lot, but sometimes its too long. I want something in the 35-40mm equivalent FOV
I wonder if I should get a 16-50 (I would like the flexibility) or maybe rather add a 31FA or a 35/2.8Macro (which seems a great lens but focal length close to my 43)
I think I have decided to concentrate more on the Pentax and reduce (or even give up) my m43 gear. I just like optical viewfinders better and also to me the Pentax bodies feel more traditional user interface and like a "real" camera.
The colors of the K5IIs -after some more experience with it-are very much to my taste. I also LOVE the Tav-Mode of the Pentax by the way.
The "weak" point IMO is quality control of lenses.

Old School.... no really!

I visited an old, abandoned school I spotted using Google Earth this past weekend. Arrived during the golden hour and took this shot of the interior. I love shooting old, decaying buildings and this one sure fit the bill.

Pentax K5 and DA* 16-50mm

Knorp

Never getting tired of visiting the harbour.

In the lock

Coming out of the lock

Opening up the throttle

Look at that power

And away she goes

benroy

Subscriber Member
Great nautical images, Bart.

More 16-50/K5IIs pics...excellent lens on the landscape end (re: Jim's pics),
but also very good on close-focusing "micro-landscapes".

Last edited:

Knorp

Found this caterpillar on one of my Proteas.

| leica apo-macro-elmarit-r 1:2.8/100mm | elpro 1:1 |

Now that I returned the K3.. back to work with the K5 IIs

There's no better way to get over returning a camera than to get out and shoot with what you currently own. In my case that is the K5 IIs.

I love doing photography at night. It offers a totally different feeling than shooting during the day. It's quiet and lends itself to really taking your time to enjoy photography on a different level. Normally it is much quieter at night but on this occasion two competing packs of coyotes were trying to see which group could be the most vocal... but it did add to ambiance of the evening under the stars in west Texas.

This shot was taken last night near Fort Griffin, Texas. There was a half moon providing good ambient light but not enough to turn night into day during a long exposure. This little blacksmith's shop was an unexpected find. I was given access by the custodian of this historical area and was surprised to find the shop to be so complete in period equipment and its 1870s appearance.

There were no lights in this building but I have learned to bring a variety of lights for night work from soft LED floods to little LED contraptions I have made myself as well as a variety of flashlights. I used two of my little handmade LED lights to light the interior of the building, a red and amber LED, powered by a 9 volt battery. The type I used were ultra-bright and designed to run off of a 12 volt battery but 9 volts will run them for over 40 hours continuously.. no kidding, I created my first one and powered it for five days straight on a single 9 volt battery. The exterior of the building was painted with soft light from and LED flashlight with a slight amber filter over the lens.

For the interior lighting I control the intensity of the light in a very low tech manner... toilet paper... you need less light, you wrap toilet paper around it until you get the subdued light you need... this also allows the light to diffuse as well. Toilet paper is a very handy thing to have in the field.

I used the Pentax K5 IIs and the DA* 16-50 for this shot. Set up focus using AF and then switched to manual focus and locked it in. Exposure was 15 seconds at f/2.8 ISO 800. Lightroom was used for initial post-work then I moved the file to Photoshop CS6 for final tweaks, re-sizing and sharpening.

Hope you like it.. I had a great time taking it. Left Dallas at 10am Saturday morning and returned at 4:20am Sunday.. a full night of shooting and enjoying being out of the big city.

MalcolmP

Re: Now that I returned the K3.. back to work with the K5 IIs

Toilet paper is a very handy thing to have in the field
Jim-:ROTFL: great shot also.
Bart-I am constantly blown away by the detail and quality of your macro combo and the images you produce with it.
Regards
Malc