Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: More K-5 impressions....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More K-5 impressions....

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Peter
    Congratulations! always thought it was the wrong system for you. I hope you had a bit of fun trying it out at least.

all the best
    You were right with what you like about the camera and system, just I was not happy with what I got.

Sure I had lot of fun during testing!

Maybe I will try the D7000 - AF will definitely be better, but I am no longer so sure that the 16MP on an APSC size sensor really are the latest wisdom. The pixel size already seems to really bring some of the less great lenses to their limits - especially kit lenses of course.

I might also give the GH2 a try, which at least is far smaller, but I am kind of hesitant because of the EVF. But I could try ....

I will also go now for the M9, as I found that the results I can get from this camera with the latest FW are pretty good, it is FF and I can use all my Leica M lenses (around 15) on this body. I think this will be the best investment besides a high end compact (like the GH2) - right?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Maybe I will try the D7000 - AF will definitely be better, but I am no longer so sure that the 16MP on an APSC size sensor really are the latest wisdom. The pixel size already seems to really bring some of the less great lenses to their limits - especially kit lenses of course.

I might also give the GH2 a try, which at least is far smaller, but I am kind of hesitant because of the EVF. But I could try ....

I will also go now for the M9, as I found that the results I can get from this camera with the latest FW are pretty good, it is FF and I can use all my Leica M lenses (around 15) on this body. I think this will be the best investment besides a high end compact (like the GH2) - right?
    Well, It's certainly my favorite camera - I'm amazed you don't have one?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, It's certainly my favorite camera - I'm amazed you don't have one?
    I had the M8 and I was going through all the issues one could have with the M8, including coding and calibrating all (most) of my lenses. When the M9 was announced I sold my M8 (unfortunately a bit late, so the price was down) including all my IR filters and was on the ordering list for the M9. But then I got the offer of the H3D39, which I needed at this point in time for my landscape work and so I bought the Hassi which I never regret BTW!

Further I replaced my A900 (which I mainly had bought for landscape) with the D700 as I like this system more - we had that discussion.

Then I got the EP2 with kit lens and 17 and I still like tis camera better than my NEX5, which does everything better than the EP2, but I do not like it - know that feeling, right?

And since then I am in search for a small but good (in my eyes good) camera system, hence my interest in the K5 (and E5 - well this one is not really small and D7000). But the latest experience shows me clearly the limitations of higher resolution and APSC as well the limitations which you get when not using some of the advanced AF systems today (Nikon, Canon). Again, I find the K5 a great camera, I just did not want to use it any longer, as I want to use AF in such a camera and if AF fools me 30-40% then it is no longer useable for me at least. At least the D7000 would not let me down so often with its AF I am sure, but you told me that in advance

Now back to the M9, this is MF and "slow" depending on how you shoot with it, but as I am a long time M shooter (since M6 back in 1986 - almost 25 years - not sure if it is good to be as old ) I know I can get better and faster and more accurate results with an M9. And actually I want again be able to shoot my Nocti 1.0

Will start negotiating a deal and will return the NEX5 in order to get at least some money funded.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Now back to the M9, this is MF and "slow" depending on how you shoot with it, but as I am a long time M shooter (since M6 back in 1986 - almost 25 years - not sure if it is good to be as old ) I know I can get better and faster and more accurate results with an M9. And actually I want again be able to shoot my Nocti 1.0
    I'm sure you'll love it Peter - I was out shooting with mine today -

Just this guy you know