The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More K-5 impressions....

jonoslack

. . . . or not
cat's always are inscrutable. We used to have one that looked just like that, it was called Quidno.

as for the camera, how long do you have to decide?

marlof

Jah, cats are evil. I know, I have two, or in their words: I'm their servant. One of them looks like this one, and is constantly planning on how to attack the other cat or one of my family members. But to get back to the picture: it's hard to get good pictures of these black cats, but this picture looks good.

It's funny to see several (former) Olympus users interested in the K-5. It has many qualities I've always admired in my Olympus cameras (E-1 and E-3), but puts a good sensor to the mix. If I'd decided to start schlepping a DSLR again, this one would be high on my list.

raist3d

Cats are nice...Re: More K-5 impressions....

My cats aren't inscrutable. They are very personable and follow me everywhere. One of them "talks" quite a bit and looks directly in the eyes. This one is the one that is more "cat like" and still is getting more and more responsive to his name.

The other one can even play fetch! This once comes to me and sleeps with me all the time. He grabs me with his mouth on the nose and likes to be held at times in playful ways. He just learned to respond to "get back in" the studio I am living in when I call it so.

Really not all cats are the same...

raist3d

. . . . or not
cat's always are inscrutable. We used to have one that looked just like that, it was called Quidno.

as for the camera, how long do you have to decide?
About 20 -23 more days...

- Raist

PS: it's looking more and more than I am keeping it. But it really pains me to get rid of my Olympus stuff. I do have good lenses. Tomorrow is the Christmas party. That will be *the* test for this Pentax.

AS for the Olympus E-5 I see stuff that I am like "yay, ok maybe I could get this after all" followed by "ugh umm I don't know.. this is why we are looking... "

raist3d

It's funny to see several (former) Olympus users interested in the K-5. It has many qualities I've always admired in my Olympus cameras (E-1 and E-3), but puts a good sensor to the mix. If I'd decided to start schlepping a DSLR again, this one would be high on my list.
Maybe because Pentax did a small, modern sensor, pro specced, e-1 like class ergonomics apparently very nice performer camera with a lot of photographic centric options including small nice prime pancakes *and* they are one of the big camera names still *and* they are not Canon nor Nikon? :)

Who would have thought an Olympus owner would be interested in this? I mean after all 4/3rds was to build smaller pro spec cameras.. that.. umm what happened? :)

- Raist

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just another reason to keep the K5 - instead even use it more than some other cams I have:

K5, ISO 6400, DA70, f2.4 ......

raist3d

Ok, so my DA70mm is pretty sharp.. that gets settled....

I haven't had a chance to shoot in daylight and today I did for a little bit.

So the one thing that bugs me is the color of reds when exposed to daylight:

Both Canon and Olympus have this red nailed down. I don't want magenta casts. Reminds me of a lot of the Panasonic JPEG engines. Even in RAW by default there's a bit of this issue, I wonder if some clever processing scaling the red channel as it goes into clipping could be done.

Other than that I am liking almost everything.

- Raist

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Raist,
Do you have a couple of DNGs with this problem? The magenta cast is something I would have to check out before buying a K5.

Jorgen

raist3d

I have DNG's yes. I think in RAW- or I would hope converters would deal with this. If only the Pentax converter worked but it's so slow/buggy/whatever.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have DNG's yes. I think in RAW- or I would hope converters would deal with this. If only the Pentax converter worked but it's so slow/buggy/whatever.
The advantage with DNG is that any old version of ACR can handle it. With the proprietary RAW formats, one needs a recent version, since Adobe only updates RAW compatibility for the most recent version. So my Photoshop CS3 opens DNG files from K5 without problems, while it doesn't have a clue about my GH1 :(

jonoslack

HI Ricardo
Not too many sunny red minis around here. However, I have seen the red problem with berries.

But - are you sure it isn't an auto WB problem? I'm just asking, because having gone back to my normal 'daylight in daylight' principle I'm not seeing it.

This picture was taken today as I really thought it would get the colours wrong. But they are absolutely spot on (I did shoot DNG, processed in Aperture, but absolutely no changes - I just output the jpg:

Window light - 18-135 zoom.

raist3d

No, it's not a WB wrong setting. All colors are spot on except those exposed to direct light - reds. The greens and the red on BJ's are great- except the magenta parts.

The tomatoes will be fine, it's mostly on plastic and metals.

- Raist

jonoslack

No, it's not a WB wrong setting. All colors are spot on except those exposed to direct light - reds. The greens and the red on BJ's are great- except the magenta parts.

The tomatoes will be fine, it's mostly on plastic and metals.

- Raist
HI Ricardo . . . okay, but actually I have seen it on berries using AWB - and I certainly wasn't suggesting that it was a 'wrong' WB setting . . . just an automatic one :)

at the risk of copyright infringement I thought it might be worth pasting this from the dpreview review:

The K-5's AWB system is impressively reliable in mixed artificial lighting, and in every environment in which we used it - from bright daylight to low, fluorescent light in a museum, it gave good, acceptably neutral results. The only time that manual intervention was necessary during our testing was when shooting in a museum lit with a mixture of natural and artificial light. Depending on the composition of the scene, the K-5's AWB system occasionally gave an unexpectedly magenta cast, but a little experimentation with the WB presets was all that was required to give more neutral results.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to do a wash on what is obviously an issue, just trying to get more of a handle on it.

If you can find that sign again, why not try shooting it with daylight WB and then you can shoot me down in flames?

raist3d

Well that's dpreview. Normally I can care less for what dpreview says if it doesn't match my direct experience. A simple example: I questioned dpreview findings when the E-3 was reviewed that the memory card speeds were "pedestrian." I noticed they used Sandisk. I had a Lexar 300x and the ram-> memory card store speed were far from pedestrian. Moreover, I found 2 more reviews with my findings and same "continous shooting on buffer full" speeds that were significantly higher than dpreview.

Simon acknowledged they should have tested with the faster card, and was going to, then got sick and swamped with work and never did the tests.

As for the white balance, I normally force set my white balance in daylight. But think about this- if it was a white balance issue why are the colors *except those* spot on? That doesn't make sense.

So I am already shooting with daylight white balance. I have tried both already.

< throws some flames only because you asked :) >

- Raist

PS: Try a red car outside. Metal. Not on an overcast day but on a sunny day.

jonoslack

Well that's dpreview. Normally I can care less for what dpreview says if it doesn't match my direct experience. A simple example: I questioned dpreview findings when the E-3 was reviewed that the memory card speeds were "pedestrian." I noticed they used Sandisk. I had a Lexar 300x and the ram-> memory card store speed were far from pedestrian. Moreover, I found 2 more reviews with my findings and same "continous shooting on buffer full" speeds that were significantly higher than dpreview.

Simon acknowledged they should have tested with the faster card, and was going to, then got sick and swamped with work and never did the tests.
Oh - I quite agree - I've also pointed out stuff (even had some rectified). But it's usually to do with their criticising stuff rather than the opposite.

As for the white balance, I normally force set my white balance in daylight. But think about this- if it was a white balance issue why are the colors *except those* spot on? That doesn't make sense.
actually, I disagree with that - a very slight magenta imbalance on the red hue may be obvious whereas it won't impact the other colours. Anyway, don't the deal with the colour channels separately with WB?

So I am already shooting with daylight white balance. I have tried both already.

< throws some flames only because you asked :) >
Ouch . . . but I certainly did ask for it!

PS: Try a red car outside. Metal. Not on an overcast day but on a sunny day.
:ROTFL::ROTFL:
It's -10C, our country lane is a sheet of ice, and there isn't a red car within 10 miles or any sunshine within 200 miles!

But I will, I will.

:)all the best

raist3d

Well all-right then but I did try with AWB and forced Daylight. Normally I don't shoot AWB, I force either Daylight, Cloudy, Shade or Tungsten.

raist3d

Yes, you too, except you are shooting red tomatoes and fruit. Very different subjects Jono. The magenta issue I have seen it also with the Panasonic JPEG engine (LX3 happens big time, lesser extent with LX5 and lesser extent with their micro four thirds). Also they don't seem to be under any direct sun light.

Both of those red-shots posted are in Daylight white balance (I couldn't verify looking at the shots in the camera so had to run the super slow Pentax Camera raw converter software to verify. Yup, daylight).

jonoslack

Yes, you too, except you are shooting red tomatoes and fruit. Very different subjects Jono. The magenta issue I have seen it also with the Panasonic JPEG engine (LX3 happens big time, lesser extent with LX5 and lesser extent with their micro four thirds). Also they don't seem to be under any direct sun light.

Both of those red-shots posted are in Daylight white balance (I couldn't verify looking at the shots in the camera so had to run the super slow Pentax Camera raw converter software to verify. Yup, daylight).
When the road melts I shall go in search for sunshine and red cars, but as I say, I've seen it in berries.