Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More K-5 impressions....

Post Thanks / Like

More K-5 impressions....

more on this space but I think my ISO 6400 cat is telling me to keep the camera:

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: More K-5 impressions....

. . . . or not
    cat's always are inscrutable. We used to have one that looked just like that, it was called Quidno.

as for the camera, how long do you have to decide?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jah, cats are evil. I know, I have two, or in their words: I'm their servant. One of them looks like this one, and is constantly planning on how to attack the other cat or one of my family members. But to get back to the picture: it's hard to get good pictures of these black cats, but this picture looks good.

It's funny to see several (former) Olympus users interested in the K-5. It has many qualities I've always admired in my Olympus cameras (E-1 and E-3), but puts a good sensor to the mix. If I'd decided to start schlepping a DSLR again, this one would be high on my list.

Post Thanks / Like

Cats are nice...Re: More K-5 impressions....

My cats aren't inscrutable. They are very personable and follow me everywhere. One of them "talks" quite a bit and looks directly in the eyes. This one is the one that is more "cat like" and still is getting more and more responsive to his name.

The other one can even play fetch! This once comes to me and sleeps with me all the time. He grabs me with his mouth on the nose and likes to be held at times in playful ways. He just learned to respond to "get back in" the studio I am living in when I call it so.

Really not all cats are the same...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    . . . . or not
    cat's always are inscrutable. We used to have one that looked just like that, it was called Quidno.

as for the camera, how long do you have to decide?
    About 20 -23 more days...

- Raist

PS: it's looking more and more than I am keeping it. But it really pains me to get rid of my Olympus stuff. I do have good lenses. Tomorrow is the Christmas party. That will be *the* test for this Pentax.

AS for the Olympus E-5 I see stuff that I am like "yay, ok maybe I could get this after all" followed by "ugh umm I don't know.. this is why we are looking... "

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny to see several (former) Olympus users interested in the K-5. It has many qualities I've always admired in my Olympus cameras (E-1 and E-3), but puts a good sensor to the mix. If I'd decided to start schlepping a DSLR again, this one would be high on my list.
    Maybe because Pentax did a small, modern sensor, pro specced, e-1 like class ergonomics apparently very nice performer camera with a lot of photographic centric options including small nice prime pancakes *and* they are one of the big camera names still *and* they are not Canon nor Nikon? :-)

Who would have thought an Olympus owner would be interested in this? I mean after all 4/3rds was to build smaller pro spec cameras.. that.. umm what happened? :-)

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Just another reason to keep the K5 - instead even use it more than some other cams I have:

K5, ISO 6400, DA70, f2.4 ......

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so my DA70mm is pretty sharp.. that gets settled....

I haven't had a chance to shoot in daylight and today I did for a little bit.

So the one thing that bugs me is the color of reds when exposed to daylight:

Both Canon and Olympus have this red nailed down. I don't want magenta casts. Reminds me of a lot of the Panasonic JPEG engines. Even in RAW by default there's a bit of this issue, I wonder if some clever processing scaling the red channel as it goes into clipping could be done.

Other than that I am liking almost everything.

- Raist

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Raist,
    Do you have a couple of DNGs with this problem? The magenta cast is something I would have to check out before buying a K5.

Jorgen

Post Thanks / Like

I have DNG's yes. I think in RAW- or I would hope converters would deal with this. If only the Pentax converter worked but it's so slow/buggy/whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I have DNG's yes. I think in RAW- or I would hope converters would deal with this. If only the Pentax converter worked but it's so slow/buggy/whatever.
    The advantage with DNG is that any old version of ACR can handle it. With the proprietary RAW formats, one needs a recent version, since Adobe only updates RAW compatibility for the most recent version. So my Photoshop CS3 opens DNG files from K5 without problems, while it doesn't have a clue about my GH1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Ricardo
    Not too many sunny red minis around here. However, I have seen the red problem with berries.

But - are you sure it isn't an auto WB problem? I'm just asking, because having gone back to my normal 'daylight in daylight' principle I'm not seeing it.

This picture was taken today as I really thought it would get the colours wrong. But they are absolutely spot on (I did shoot DNG, processed in Aperture, but absolutely no changes - I just output the jpg:

Window light - 18-135 zoom.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's not a WB wrong setting. All colors are spot on except those exposed to direct light - reds. The greens and the red on BJ's are great- except the magenta parts.

The tomatoes will be fine, it's mostly on plastic and metals.

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, it's not a WB wrong setting. All colors are spot on except those exposed to direct light - reds. The greens and the red on BJ's are great- except the magenta parts.

The tomatoes will be fine, it's mostly on plastic and metals.

- Raist
    HI Ricardo . . . okay, but actually I have seen it on berries using AWB - and I certainly wasn't suggesting that it was a 'wrong' WB setting . . . just an automatic one

at the risk of copyright infringement I thought it might be worth pasting this from the dpreview review:

The K-5's AWB system is impressively reliable in mixed artificial lighting, and in every environment in which we used it - from bright daylight to low, fluorescent light in a museum, it gave good, acceptably neutral results. The only time that manual intervention was necessary during our testing was when shooting in a museum lit with a mixture of natural and artificial light. Depending on the composition of the scene, the K-5's AWB system occasionally gave an unexpectedly magenta cast, but a little experimentation with the WB presets was all that was required to give more neutral results.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to do a wash on what is obviously an issue, just trying to get more of a handle on it.

If you can find that sign again, why not try shooting it with daylight WB and then you can shoot me down in flames?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Well that's dpreview. Normally I can care less for what dpreview says if it doesn't match my direct experience. A simple example: I questioned dpreview findings when the E-3 was reviewed that the memory card speeds were "pedestrian." I noticed they used Sandisk. I had a Lexar 300x and the ram-> memory card store speed were far from pedestrian. Moreover, I found 2 more reviews with my findings and same "continous shooting on buffer full" speeds that were significantly higher than dpreview.

Simon acknowledged they should have tested with the faster card, and was going to, then got sick and swamped with work and never did the tests.

As for the white balance, I normally force set my white balance in daylight. But think about this- if it was a white balance issue why are the colors *except those* spot on? That doesn't make sense.

So I am already shooting with daylight white balance. I have tried both already.

< throws some flames only because you asked :-) >

- Raist

PS: Try a red car outside. Metal. Not on an overcast day but on a sunny day.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well that's dpreview. Normally I can care less for what dpreview says if it doesn't match my direct experience. A simple example: I questioned dpreview findings when the E-3 was reviewed that the memory card speeds were "pedestrian." I noticed they used Sandisk. I had a Lexar 300x and the ram-> memory card store speed were far from pedestrian. Moreover, I found 2 more reviews with my findings and same "continous shooting on buffer full" speeds that were significantly higher than dpreview.

Simon acknowledged they should have tested with the faster card, and was going to, then got sick and swamped with work and never did the tests.
    Oh - I quite agree - I've also pointed out stuff (even had some rectified). But it's usually to do with their criticising stuff rather than the opposite.

As for the white balance, I normally force set my white balance in daylight. But think about this- if it was a white balance issue why are the colors *except those* spot on? That doesn't make sense.
    actually, I disagree with that - a very slight magenta imbalance on the red hue may be obvious whereas it won't impact the other colours. Anyway, don't the deal with the colour channels separately with WB?

So I am already shooting with daylight white balance. I have tried both already.

< throws some flames only because you asked :-) >
    Ouch . . . but I certainly did ask for it!

It's -10C, our country lane is a sheet of ice, and there isn't a red car within 10 miles or any sunshine within 200 miles!

But I will, I will.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Well all-right then but I did try with AWB and forced Daylight. Normally I don't shoot AWB, I force either Daylight, Cloudy, Shade or Tungsten.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well all-right then but I did try with AWB and forced Daylight. Normally I don't shoot AWB, I force either Daylight, Cloudy, Shade or Tungsten.
    yes, me too - so were those shots with the standard Daylight setting?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you too, except you are shooting red tomatoes and fruit. Very different subjects Jono. The magenta issue I have seen it also with the Panasonic JPEG engine (LX3 happens big time, lesser extent with LX5 and lesser extent with their micro four thirds). Also they don't seem to be under any direct sun light.

Both of those red-shots posted are in Daylight white balance (I couldn't verify looking at the shots in the camera so had to run the super slow Pentax Camera raw converter software to verify. Yup, daylight).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, you too, except you are shooting red tomatoes and fruit. Very different subjects Jono. The magenta issue I have seen it also with the Panasonic JPEG engine (LX3 happens big time, lesser extent with LX5 and lesser extent with their micro four thirds). Also they don't seem to be under any direct sun light.

Both of those red-shots posted are in Daylight white balance (I couldn't verify looking at the shots in the camera so had to run the super slow Pentax Camera raw converter software to verify. Yup, daylight).
    When the road melts I shall go in search for sunshine and red cars, but as I say, I've seen it in berries.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Pentax Reds

OK, I think this is general "Pentax Red" we're seeing here not just the K5's fault.
    I'll explain.
    I do a lot of aerial work and chose the Pentax K20D for this after having a K10D for personal stuff after seeing and liking their colour palette versus the offerings from Canon (which is what I was using up 'till then). The other main reason for choosing a Pentax body was their excellent TaV mode which for helicopter work is a must.
    Anyway, back to the reds: For this type of work I need to shoot High Quality Jpegs and I set the White Balance to Daylight, in nearly all my shots I include roof tiles and that is where I have found that the magentas/cyans in their reds are wrong and have to tweak them in the post-processing stage.
    So in a nutshell - it's not only on metals and certainly not a K5 quirk.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

pinkish reds could also be a problem of a blown out red channel. I had this problem often with the dp1.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and also could be how the RAW data is interpreted, or written after some processing/scaling, etc.

With Panasonic it seems it's their JPEG engine, as the same RAW with other programs shows it fine.

I am not inclined to think at all it's the Pentax sensor, but how the data is being interpreted or written.

Post Thanks / Like

Allright, one of the shots I like from tonight (cropped/ from DNG)

- Raist

photogerald

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    pinkish reds could also be a problem of a blown out red channel. I had this problem often with the dp1.
    I was thinking that too. Also, what I found interesting in the dpreview's review of the K-5 was that they recommended enabling the highlight correction feature (which gives about 1 extra stop of overhead in the highlights) as the expense in shadow noise was not apparent (like it is in previous Pentax cameras) due to the low amount of shadow noise to begin with. This is actually a software trick, as what they're effectively doing is underexposing by 1 stop (the minimum ISO becomes 160) and then readjusting the curves so the overall brightness looks right. Of course you can achieve the same results by shooting RAW with -1EV and doign the adjustment in PP but the benefit to JPG shooters is that you get this out-of-camera.

Anyways, I wonder if enabling highlight correction would reduce the occurance of the pink/magenta reds.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried shooting with and without a UV filter?

Looks to me as if highlights/reflective areas are going pink whereas matter (more matte?) areas stay red.

Just a thought ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photogerald View Post
    I was thinking that too. Also, what I found interesting in the dpreview's review of the K-5 was that they recommended enabling the highlight correction feature (which gives about 1 extra stop of overhead in the highlights) as the expense in shadow noise was not apparent (like it is in previous Pentax cameras) due to the low amount of shadow noise to begin with. This is actually a software trick, as what they're effectively doing is underexposing by 1 stop (the minimum ISO becomes 160) and then readjusting the curves so the overall brightness looks right. Of course you can achieve the same results by shooting RAW with -1EV and doign the adjustment in PP but the benefit to JPG shooters is that you get this out-of-camera.

Anyways, I wonder if enabling highlight correction would reduce the occurance of the pink/magenta reds.
    I wonder about that - I've not seen much of a problem, but I'm always very careful not to over-expose (I dislike blown highlights much more than noise).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

... I can care less ...
    It’s *Couldnt care less*

Think about it for a moment to catch the illogicality.

Post Thanks / Like

That's just a simple mistake. I think everyone knows what I meant.

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's just a simple mistake. I think everyone knows what I meant.

- Raist
    Hi Ricardo
    Actually . .. isn't it cultural, and anyway, I'm not sure that it doesn't work both ways.
    I've certainly seen lots of people from your side of the pond saying "I could care less", whereas it's definitely "I couldn't care less" here.

I think you should stick to your guns (even if they are wrong )

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Ricardo
    Actually . .. isn't it cultural, and anyway, I'm not sure that it doesn't work both ways.
    I've certainly seen lots of people from your side of the pond saying "I could care less", whereas it's definitely "I couldn't care less" here.

I think you should stick to your guns (even if they are wrong )
    I believe you are right, Jono. It's kind of correct in American English; opposite formulations, same meaning. One could obviously claim that American English is incorrect by nature, which would explain this rather strange way of expressing oneself, but I'll leave that discussion to those of you who are born into the rather untidy world of English language

Why on earth can't everybody speak Norwegian? It's such a friendly language

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Why on earth can't everybody speak Norwegian? It's such a friendly language
    Oh! I thought that Finnish was the good one in Scandinavia?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The phrase couldn’t care less is widely accepted as originating in England (as the title of a book by Anthony Phelps, recording his experiences in Air Transport Auxiliary during World War II) and seems to have first appeared in print in the US as the inverted I could care less in 1960*; it has been variously described as dumb, wrong and loathsome since.

Harper Dictionary of Contemporary Usage 1975 called it: an ignorant debasement of language.

*Ann Landers’ column on October 20, 1960:

DEAR TOENAIL: The expression as I understand it is “I couldn’t care less” which means I don’t care at all. On the other hand, maybe she COULD care less, which means she does care at least a little.

*I could care less* can only work if it is posed as a question, posed ironically in the Yiddish style (I should be so lucky?)

Last edited by mediumcool; 28th December 2010 at 04:33. Reason: added really funny graphic

Post Thanks / Like

So nobody has tried the A/B UV- or not UV-filter test yet?

That is the question.
    Last edited by mediumcool; 28th December 2010 at 04:36. Reason: Channelled Shakespeare

Post Thanks / Like

But it is used most of the time,as the OP said, in the US and it seems after a period of time that a phrase or word has been in general use it is accepted here regardless of origination. %>}. We are a bit strange with 'Merican English LOL You should see the 'new' words and phrases that they are listing this year as being acceptable because of general usage.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh! I thought that Finnish was the good one in Scandinavia?
    Finland was part of the Axis during the “Second Great Unpleasantness”.*

__________________________________________________ _________
    *Which photographic magazine editor and publisher used this phrase?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    But it is used most of the time,as the OP said, in the US and it seems after a period of time that a phrase or word has been in general use it is accepted here regardless of origination. %>}. We are a bit strange with 'Merican English LOL You should see the 'new' words and phrases that they are listing this year as being acceptable because of general usage.
    Having noted that, there are more cockroaches than humans on this planet; does this mean that cockies are a better, preferable, or superior life form?

Quantity is not always to be preferred over quality.

Particularly on this forum ...
    Last edited by mediumcool; 28th December 2010 at 06:19. Reason: removed exclamation mark and replaced with ellipsis to avoid excess emotion

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I gather the post with the initial "mistake" was removed.
    Before venturing too far off topic on this thread, please note that there are a lot of posters on this forum that while they post in English, it is not their first or even second language.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and usage is often quite different. The one thing that I always find interesting about this is how languages evolve. They are not static.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I can't believe this thread has gone from an interesting review of the K-5 to a quite inane diatribe into the finer points of an expression that is by no means fixed in stone, and could easily work either way, particularly, as Diane and Terry pointed out, on a forum that sees members from all walks of life and continents. Let's please return to the discussion on the K-5, yes? I can definitely care less about discussing language in this thread, eh?
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

This lingospeak leaves me cold, but colo(u)r me impressed by that K-5. Pinkish reds or not. Thanks to users like Ricardo for taking the time to share their experiences.

.... looks at camera bag wondering if he'd really want to lug a full blown DSLR around yet again ....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mediumcool View Post
    Finland was part of the Axis during the “Second Great Unpleasantness”.*

__________________________________________________ _________
    *Which photographic magazine editor and publisher used this phrase?
    HI Medium
    I was actually poking a little gentle dig at Jorgen (who is Norwegian); I was talking about language, not history, and I certainly didn't mean to have anything to do with any unpleasantness (whatever number it may be).

While I like your caring continuum line, and whilst I am in the same camp as you, I think anyone who starts to get dogmatic about language usage is digging themselves into a very deep hole.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

As Terry suggested, not everyone has English as their first language. My first language is Spanish! I accept the correction as the urban dictionary points to couldn't care as the proper dorm. Regardless my point stands and please check then my da21/da70 thread... ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Discussions about language can sometimes be useful on an international forum like this. Not only do we have different mother tongues, but we often lack knowledge of the culture behind the foreign languages that we learn. Although the meaning of a word may be easy to translate, the value of the word in the country where it has its origins may differ, which leads to misunderstandings and sometimes heated discussions without any proper reason.

Having lived in an Asian country for many years, where the cultural differences to the west are much wider, this is easy to see. Here, and I believe in the rest of the world as well, foreign languages are often taught as if they were a dialect of the local language. If the cultural differences behind the languages are small, this sometimes leads to small misunderstandings. When the difference is huge, it leads to absurd mistakes, quarrels, divorce, war and other forms of unpleasantness.

If more people kept this in mind, I'm sure the world, including some internet fora, would be a more pleasant place to be. Unfortunately, in spite of a dramatic increase in travel and communication worldwide, the opposite often seems to be the case. The human race is a peculiar one.

And as for Finns, Jono, they aren't really Scandinavians. They are great people, and some of my best friends are Finns, but most of them don't speak a Scandinavian language and don't live on the Scandinavian Peninsula (Danes don't live on the Scandinavian Peninsula either, but they have such a tiny country and have to belong somewhere, don't they ).

Post Thanks / Like

An unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates
    c 400 BCE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The's nowt stranger than folk.

Yorkshireman
    c Anytime now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mediumcool View Post
    Has anyone tried shooting with and without a UV filter?

Looks to me as if highlights/reflective areas are going pink whereas matter (more matte?) areas stay red.

Just a thought ...
    Nobody interested in trying this out?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    And as for Finns, Jono, they aren't really Scandinavians. They are great people, and some of my best friends are Finns, but most of them don't speak a Scandinavian language and don't live on the Scandinavian Peninsula (Danes don't live on the Scandinavian Peninsula either, but they have such a tiny country and have to belong somewhere, don't they ).
    Oh Jorgen - it was only a throwaway remark - a tease - (some of my best friends are Finns too!). I also understand that Finnish is a completely separate language (FWIW).
    As for the Danes - I'd often wondered about their Scandinavian credentials.
    . . . . all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Ok - here some more impressions!

I finally returned my K5 kit and DA70 today! Wow, thanks god!

It is a good camera, maybe with good IQ and colors, but it has its certain limitations and flaws.

Was just playing around the last few days with AF, as I started using this thing more extensively I recognized that I had severe AF problems, although I had fine tuned the AF for both lenses several times. I still got out of focus results again and again - even in good light (afternoon indoors) - situations which NEVER EVER screwed up my D700. And trying to manual focus with that OVF is just a joke, at least it does not work with my eyes anymore, while the D700 again imposed never such problems on me.

WRT resolution - well as I was warned the 18-55WR could not even come close to resolve what the sensor of the K5 can do. But especially in very low light in combination with ISO6400 the results are just for the garbage bin, even if they are in focus. But I know this is (was) my fault as everybody here told me that the kit lenses are weak. Only thing is that I had expected too much.

The DA70 was the highlight of my kit, seems to be a decent lens, although I do not like the ergos and handling of it.

Overall the K5 with lenses did not hold what I thought it could do for me. I bought it as add on to my D700 especially WRT smaller size and less weight. But the handling of it showed me that it is still pretty big compared to my M43 system and does not deliver better IQ. Yes you can get up to higher ISO but the results are then really questionable.

And yes - I know that these results could get better with better lenses (zooms), but the talking about a 50-135 or 60-250 the size gets again very big and I do not see so much advantage to Nikon FF.

Hope all who the K5 have more fun with it, for me it was a nice adventure but finally I am really happy I could just send it back and step out of this system!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I finally returned my K5 kit and DA70 today! Wow, thanks god!
    HI Peter
    Congratulations! always thought it was the wrong system for you. I hope you had a bit of fun trying it out at least.

all the best

Just this guy you know