Site Sponsors

Thread: K-5 - show me reds in daylight...

Post Thanks / Like

K-5 - show me reds in daylight...

I am still seeing reds go magenta in good daylight. Shoot a stop sign, a parking warning sign, a red car. Something that shines a little back. In daylight, not overcast. Not in the shadow, not at night or indoors. In sunlight.

This issue is showing up for me in JPEG and DNG and I sort of got a work around but I don't want to deal with this. Seen now in two K-5 bodies so I don't think it's a single body defect (and the 2nd body had firmware 1.01 already installed and no stains).

I want Pentax to fix this.

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: K-5 - show me reds in daylight...

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I am still seeing reds go magenta in good daylight. Shoot a stop sign, a parking warning sign, a red car. Something that shines a little back. In daylight, not overcast. Not in the shadow, not at night or indoors. In sunlight.

This issue is showing up for me in JPEG and DNG and I sort of got a work around but I don't want to deal with this. Seen now in two K-5 bodies so I don't think it's a single body defect (and the 2nd body had firmware 1.01 already installed and no stains).

I want Pentax to fix this.

- Raist
    when we get some sunshine I'll see if I can find it . . . . . . . be back to you sometime next year

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Please ignore for now! Maybe it's fixed! (read)

I got it from DNG but *not* when I developed the RAW in-camera. So clearly a DNG specific raw converter problem (OS/X).

With my first stained K-5 body this happened in JPEG too. Maybe it's a placebo thing but I am noticing better reds with the 2nd body. Moreover, the 2nd body in-jpeg conversions were red (using different files though). Will check with the sign of BJ's again today.

Thanks for reading, for now consider this a NON issue. I will investigate a bit more.

--
    Raist3d (Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Games Developer)
    Andreas Feininger (1906-1999) 'Photographers — idiots, of which there are
    so many — say, “Oh, if only I had a Nikon or a Leica, I could make great
    photographs.” That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. It’s
    nothing but a matter of seeing, and thinking, and interest. That’s what
    makes a good photograph.'

photogerald

Re: Please ignore for now! Maybe it's fixed! (read)

I got it from DNG but *not* when I developed the RAW in-camera. So clearly a DNG specific raw converter problem (OS/X).
    I wonder if your RAW converter is properly using the camera profile embedded in the DNG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photogerald View Post
    I wonder if your RAW converter is properly using the camera profile embedded in the DNG.
    No, probably not, as Apple doesn't list official k-5 support yet (but since they support a wide variety of Pentaxes, this is coming probably soon).

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, probably not, as Apple doesn't list official k-5 support yet (but since they support a wide variety of Pentaxes, this is coming probably soon).

- Raist
    I always find it better to drop the boost to 50% for 'non profiled' .dng files in Aperture - but otherwise I'm still pleased with what I'm getting from the Pentax. The sun even came out briefly a while ago, but there are no red cars in sight!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: K-5 - show me reds in daylight...

Yeah, red is the problem :-) But thanks for the boost tip. I have played with that before on other cameras and didn't think of that on this one.

- Raist