The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has Pentax fixed the problems with the K5?

durrIII

Has Hoya/Pentax addressed the problems with the K5?
If so, have they been solved? I have been
thinking of buying the K3 and a couple of
the Limited lens. What is the news?
Thanks

photoSmart42

Seems like Amazon in Europe dropped the K5 from selling there because of all the issues with it. Not a good sign for Pentax.

D

DiN

Seems like Amazon in Europe dropped the K5 from selling there because of all the issues with it. Not a good sign for Pentax.
Wrong..
Amazon.de sold the K-5 with a user manual printed in French, which was not funny for many German customers. That's why Amazon.de still recommends customer to buy from third party.

jonoslack

Thanks for that Terry - I think they've taken it away now though!

AS for the OP - I've had mine since November 5th, I do have the sensor 'stain' issue, and when the dust has settled I'll get it replaced. However, I can only see the marks in skies over f11, and when it's there it's no more of a problem to deal with than any dust bunny - not excusing it, just putting it in perspective.

Focusing in tungsten light is the other reported issue - I've not found it to be a problem - again, not denying it, and I'm sure it's readily repeatable in testing, but I haven't bothered to do those tests, and I've been getting a good AF hit rate in very poor light - maybe it's something to do with using the AF assist light - I've switched this off, as I'm not keen on subjects with the expression of frightened rabbits!

Put it this way, I'd like to see these things fixed, but in my real world photography they are non issues, and I've no doubt they'll be sorted out one way or another.

Again, I'm not trying to say that it's perfect, but it's a fine camera which works very well - if you want what it has to offer (small / weather sealed / pro spec / very quiet) then I think it's already ready.

all the best

scho

I've only had my K5 for a few days and I'm still in learning mode, but I have not had any serious problems with the camera. Auto focus has so far worked well for me in both dim indoor lighting and outdoors. No "sensor stains" in my camera either. I think that the K5 is an excellent little DSLR that most likely will replace my Canon behemoth if no hidden issues arise.

After one month with the K5 I've to say I'm pretty happy, compact camera, execllent high ISO pereformances, decent AF, nice small primes (it is my first Pentax).
I had only random AF problems with the 16-50, but I found it was the lens which now has been sent back to be fixed; the 77mm and the 35 macro have no AF issue in any lighting conditions.
I've also checked for the infamous stains and may be there is someting to be cleaned in the middle of the sensor but it seems to me that is nothing unusual and since it is barely visible only at 100% magnification at f/22 I will live with it, at leas for the time being.
Cheers,
Ario

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Same for Pentax as for all other brands - if a camera (product) does not perform to what I can expect then it is gone.

I am simply not wasting my time!