The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Imminent K5 purchase, lens suggestions please :-)

mediumcool

Thought about the 17–70 f4? Got a great review at photozone.de, where they said it was the best of the current crop of *normal* Pentax zooms. May replace my 16–45 with one ...

raist3d

Hey everyone,

After months of thought, I've finally made the decision to buy a k5, but I'm stumped on what lenses to buy.

I currently want a 24mm (35mm equiv, or wider) lens and a relatively fast lens. I've got 2 ideas so far:

1. Currently thinking of the 15mm f4 limited and the 35 f2.8 limited and the kit 18-55mm for rainy days. Thought of the 15mm over the 14mm 2.8 as its smaller and half the weight, the 35mm for its great IQ.

2. On the other hand I'm thinking of K5 and the 16-50mm only, as an "all in one" set up, draw backs are size and weight but it would be cheaper than the set up above by about £200GBP.

I guess I'd prefer a set up as small and light as possible so I can carry it all day comfortably so I'm leaning towards the 1st set up - despite it being pricier.

I'd love to hear thoughts and suggestions on my ideas, especially if you've some hands on experience with the lenses mentioned in practice.

Thanks in advance :)

Vince
I can only help with this: if you get a Pentax and you get no primes, you are missing out :) I think the 35mm DA Limited Macro is a good choice.. thinking about it too.

- Raist

PS: DA 21mm limited:

DA 70mm limited:

raist3d

@nostatic

- I see you have the 1 stop faster primes. In your opinion those really much better than the pancake? I have read they both have their pros and cons. What's your experience?

Thanks!

- Ricardo

Godfrey

I had a number of lenses when I was shooting with a K20d. My personal experience/observations:

77/1.8 ltd - hands down my favorite lens. Magical.
43/1.9 ltd - perfect size, very nice, great all around lens
31/1.8 ltd - excellent lens, but I liked the 77 a little better
35/2.8 ltd - great all around and good if you're on a budget
16-45 - actually a great lens - best bang for the buck you'll get
15-50/2.8 - had two different copies, one bad, the other good, but frankly disappointing
50-135/2.8 - excellent lens, probably my second favorite

I briefly had some others (21, 10-17, 50-300) and tried the 40 and 70. I preferred the 43 over the 40 and the 77 over the 70, but ymmv. 21 never thrilled me.
Borrowing from the above:

43/1.9 ltd - perfect size, very nice, great all around lens, my personal favorite
21/3.2 ltd - second favorite
14/2.8 - second favorite not used as much as 21
77/1.8 Ltd - third favorite
50-135/2.8 - excellent lens ... with this, I don't really need 77

I shot with a lot of Pentax zooms. Don't like "normal zooms" at all. Pentax is for Limiteds. ;-)

vincechu

Hey everyone, big news, I just pulled the trigger on the K5, it'll be here next week hopefully (they're currently out of stock).

Lens wise, also big news (atleast for me), I found a great deal on a 31mm limited, so am in the process of tying up the deal. The 31mm is still pricey though so I can't afford any of the da ltd's for now. However mediumcool's suggestion of the 16-45mm is great because the used and new prices are pretty low in the UK, so probably the 31mm limited and 16-45mm until my wallet recovers.

I also decided to go for the 18-55mm kit lens as a waterproof solution because the uk cashback promotion means that i get the kit lens for £20 more than body only - roughly $30USD, which seems pretty good to me ;-)

Thanks for all the advice everyone, can't wait for it all to arrive

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hey everyone, big news, I just pulled the trigger on the K5, it'll be here next week hopefully (they're currently out of stock).

Lens wise, also big news (atleast for me), I found a great deal on a 31mm limited, so am in the process of tying up the deal. The 31mm is still pricey though so I can't afford any of the da ltd's for now. However mediumcool's suggestion of the 16-45mm is great because the used and new prices are pretty low in the UK, so probably the 31mm limited and 16-45mm until my wallet recovers.

I also decided to go for the 18-55mm kit lens as a waterproof solution because the uk cashback promotion means that i get the kit lens for £20 more than body only - roughly $30USD, which seems pretty good to me ;-)

Vince,

have greta fun with the K5. Especially I wish you more luck with the 18-55 as I had. I also got for it because it was almost for nothing when added as a kit lens.

The 31 must be a great lens!

Peter

scho

Vince, Have fun with your K5 and be sure to post some images with your new kit.

jonoslack

Good Luck Vince
Lovely camera - I'm still continually surprised by the dynamic range and high ISO.
all the best

D

DRabbit

I know I'm resurrected an older post here, but I've read through it with much interest. I'm currently trying to decide on lenses myself and the dilemma is getting something that is decent and weather-sealed.

However, I prefer to shoot primes! I'm so frustrated that Pentax doesn't offer more weather-sealed primes!

I really want the FA 31. I think it's a must-have. I already over the DA 40 and 70 limiteds and really like them.

For weather-sealing, do I go for the 16-50 (big, heavy, ugh)... the 18-55 WR kit (cheapest)... or the slightly better 18-135? I'm leaning towards the last one for maximum flexibility in the rain and snow, which I like to shoot a lot (and have done so without the benefit of weather-sealing up to this point!)...

Help! LOL

:)

Paratom

All I can say is that I have bad experience with the 17-55WR kit lens. Unaccaptable soft on the K5 IMO, I can not recommend it.

DavidL

Park Cameras in the UK are offering the 16-45 f4 for £234 which seems incredible. Well it is as they are out of stock. I've asked them to email me when they come in. Got to be worth a punt.
david

benroy

Subscriber Member
If you are on a budget, the 18-135 should be considered. Most of the contributors to the K-5 thread (Jono, both the Florida and Texas Jims) have demonstrated great images with this lens.

The best "take anywhere with great results" lenses: the 40 Pancake or the 35/2.8 macro...can't go wrong with either lens.

Roy Benson

Last edited:
D

DRabbit

Amy

Did you give up on your GH2 for stills?

Lee
Hey Lee,

Yeah, I did. It was stellar for video, but I just couldn't fall in love with it for photography. Since Panasonic was having such a great deal on the GH1 ($349), I opted to sell the GH2 and buy the GH1 instead... that way I don't feel bad about it sitting in my photo cabinet not getting used all that much. I really wanted the K5 originally, so that's what I'm going to get.

Based on more research and reading some of Jim Radcliffe's experiences with the 18-135, I think it's the way to go for my weather-sealed solution for now. I really am a prime shooter, but since there aren't any weather-sealed primes, I'd rather go with the most cost efficient, flexible solution for now... it gives me more money to put towards the 31 f/1.8, which I think I'll end up using A LOT. I'm not thrilled that the 18-135 is a slow lens, but I just can't spring for the 16-50 at the same time as the 31, and the size of it is a real turn-off to me anyway. I think the 18-135 + the 31, 40 and 70 will make a nice kit for me and cover most of my bases.

Hopefully, I'll be making the purchase within the next few weeks... I want it for my cross-country trip this summer :)

Amy

Sapphie

Amy

I have a K5 + 18-135 and think they are great.

I also recently got a GH2 because I really couldn't make my mind up. It takes great shots but the battery life is really bad, I get through one SD card and "poof" ... also don't find the EVF easy to see through in bright weather ... hmn a decision coming up I think.

Lee

D

DRabbit

Well, apparently I'm an anomaly as far as disliking the GH2. I got a lot of flack for the things I said about it (it's okay, I can take it - LOL). I just wasn't as impressed as everyone else seemed to be. I actually like the photographic results from the GH1 a little better, but honestly, I think my EP2 kicks it's butt for IQ (other than high ISO). Like I said... I'm an anomaly ;)

For video though, I don't think you can beat either the GH1 or GH2... and especially not at their price point.

That said, I really enjoyed shooting video with the K-x because of it's outstanding in-body image stabilization... I figure it will be similar with the K5... and for my type of shooting, I can live with the K5's video shortcomings.

If you want, check out the video I did with the Kx...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhoRKmDFsCQ

About 50% of it was handheld.

woodyspedden

After four years and 36,000+ photos made with Pentax DSLR cameras, the two absolutely essential lenses in my bag ended up being the DA 21mm f/3.2 Limited and FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited.

Were I to buy another Pentax body, those are the two lenses I'd order with it. I might never buy any others... although the FA77 and DA14 remain high on my list of wonderful. :)

Pentax *ist DS + DA 14mm f/2.8
Godfrey

I couldn't agree more about the 43 1.9. Simply a lovely lens and not too much larger than the 40 pancake but without the backfocus.

Don't have the 21 yet but will get one soon

Woody