The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

D&A

Thanks Gary,
Good question, For sure the 120mm is a winner, the 45-85mm FA is also good from 45-65mm shot at F11, the 150mm FA i wish was a little sharper but not bad. The 300mm FA 5.6, I had some problems with, I think it was vibration at slow shutter speed, below 1 second ok, but from 1/8 - 1/30 sec, a lot of my images were blurred. 75mm FA at F11 a winner also.
The 35mm FA, I also had, but did not post any images. It is not for me. Just not sharp enough. Especially when I compare it to my 28mm Leica on my M9 which I just posted in the Leica forum also, you can compare.

I am going to try the 40mm Hasselblad CFE lens that you have with the adaptor. I have to purchase the adaptor from Adorama, and rent the lens.

Other than that, the Camera worked flawlessly, just the lens situation, i twas cold a few mornings and no problems what so ever which is a good thing.

I was shooting with someone who had the Hasselblad 503CW with there CFV 50mp back, very nice setup but his 45 degree finder kept fogging up. So
I guess it all depends on a lot of factors. You can Purchase a Hassselblad 39mp FF CFV39 for around 13K new, and if you already have all the V lenses, I think it's a good way to go using there Phocus software that has DAC for most of the newer CFE/CFI lenses which I think is the critical part where Pentax is lacking.

Steven
Hi Steve

Truly lovely series of images Steven...very nicely done and impressive! Unfortunately I wish the FA 35mm could match a leica 28mm lens, but in reality, there is no way that it can. Most Leica 28mm's are great to superlative in performance. I am beginning to come to the conclusion that the FA 35mm does much better at close and especially mid-distances...not at infinity. Mid-distances is where the deges and corners sharpen up to respectable levels. At infinity, they loose resolution, unfortunately. I've noticed this phenominon in quite a few FA 35mm lens samples. So the lens can be good, if one uses it at distances where it emphasizes its strengths.

Sounds like the 645D body really holds up in extreme conditions, which is a factor that soundn't be underestimated. Thanks again for posting these lovely images for all of us to enjoy.

Dave (D&A)

bensonga

Hi Gary,
I was just sort of making a few light hearted commenst about getting to Alaska. I'd love to have the opportunity to take you up on your offer...which sounds like a fabouous place to visit and to also be able to shoot with both you and try out your Hassy lenses. Hopefully that winning lottery ticket will come my way soon. I also hope you also get the chance to try out your lenses on a 645D body. Thanks!
Dave (D&A)
The thought has crossed my mind that I should sell my CFV-16II and save a few extra $$ to buy a 645D myself, but as many here know.....I hate to part with any of my gear, so I'll just have to be patient. Someday, someone with a 645D will travel to Alaska and maybe they will remember this thread and my offer. :eek:

Hope I'm still around to see the images this combo of Zeiss glass and the 645D would produce.....I'm guessing it would be pretty good.

Gary

bensonga

Thanks Gary,
Other than that, the Camera worked flawlessly, just the lens situation, i twas cold a few mornings and no problems what so ever which is a good thing.
The weather sealing etc is one of the things that really interests me in the 645D and would be an improvement over my CFV-16II digital back.

I was shooting with someone who had the Hasselblad 503CW with there CFV 50mp back, very nice setup but his 45 degree finder kept fogging up. So
I guess it all depends on a lot of factors.Steven
Interesting.....I hadn't even thought about the fogging problems with the 45 degree finder. I have a PME45 finder on my 503CWD, but rarely use it when the weather is sub-optimal. I don't want to risk taking the CFV back out in cold and/or wet conditions......which is at least 6-8 months of the year here in Alaska.

Gary

bensonga

Steven,

Looking at your images from Yosemite here at home now (on a better monitor), I'm really impressed with these, especially the first two and the last two images. That last image you posted (color, of the valley).....which lens did you use for that shot?

Well done and thanks for sharing these with us!! I hope you'll post these images over on the Pentax MF Forum also.

Gary

kuau

Workshop Member
Gary,

I used the 45-85mm fa zoom at 45mm f11 on the last valley image.
I have the same image shot with the 35mm fa and to me not as sharp.

Hopefully I will find out today about renting the hasselblad 40mm CfE and getting the adaptor.

I will keep you posted.

Yes the 645d is probably the best cold weather MFD solution out there especially for the money. I hope to see the files from the hasselblad shooter who was next to me with your setup but the newer 50mp back.

Steven

Ed Hurst

Hey everyone,

I have a 645D and a V system adaptor - but no V system lenses. I'd love to know how the best ones would perform on the 645D (and how that compares with the 67 glass that I already have). If someone has V system lenses that they would like to test with the 645D, I'd be happy to meet up and arrange for this. I live in Sydney, but also spend quite a bit of time in Melbourne.

Any takers?

Ed

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Steven,

the images are awesome! I really like them. From what I can tell of the colors and tonality and sharpness I like them much more than the S2 shots posted in the Leica forum about winter mountains.

This camera seems to be a big winner! Maybe you have to wait for the dedicated lenses for the 645D, which will then perform much more flawlessly compared to the older Pentax and other glass. I never was and am a friend of using lenses which are not designed for a specific system, because that in most cases ends up in troubles.

For me the 645D is (will become) a great system, as it is much cheaper compared to all the other stuff, but gives you real MFD quality. But if there will be a 645D2 in a few years with more MP and a newer sensor, you will not loose too much money, which is the great thing.

Not sure about the availability and support of the 645D here in Austria though :confused:

Keep going!

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter,
Yeah so far, so good, a few hiccups with the lens situation but overall for the money hard to beat, yet I am waiting to see some images that were taken with an older Hassy 503CW with the 50mp back using the newer zees glass, and now that Phocus has DAC for all theses lenses, to me not a bad solution either, I love that retro look of the 503CW.

Steven

kuau

Workshop Member
Ed,
I am in the same situation but here in the states. Have the 645D and the V adaptor on order though should have any day. I am really only interested in trying the 40mm CFE IF lens, of course the most expensive zeiss lens I think.

Steven
Hey everyone,

I have a 645D and a V system adaptor - but no V system lenses. I'd love to know how the best ones would perform on the 645D (and how that compares with the 67 glass that I already have). If someone has V system lenses that they would like to test with the 645D, I'd be happy to meet up and arrange for this. I live in Sydney, but also spend quite a bit of time in Melbourne.

Any takers?

Ed

woodyspedden

OK, here are some images from Yosemite this weekend.
645D, 45-85mm fa, 75mm fa, 120mm A, 150mm FA, and 300mm fa.
Mostly B&W stuff, but I tossed in a few color images.
Steven

Steve

You certainly got great light and weather conditions for Yosemite. And you, the photographer took full advantage. Also your B+W processing is great. I especially like the face of El Capitan as it reminds me of the great face of Half Dome by Ansel.

Great work my friend. Hope to see you at another workshop one day.

Also the valley view image reminds me of Ansels "Winter Storm Clearing." Love to see this also in Black and White.

Woody

kuau

Workshop Member
Woody,
Thanks for the kind words.
I hope to attend some more workshops soon.
Keep me posted on any you maybe thinking about

Steven

Paratom

Steven,
I can only agree with all the others. Those images are awsome.
I like the vertical one best, and the last one.
Kind Regards, Tom

viablex1

OK, here are some images from Yosemite this weekend.
645D, 45-85mm fa, 75mm fa, 120mm A, 150mm FA, and 300mm fa.
Mostly B&W stuff, but I tossed in a few color images.
Steven

holy crap mother$%$%$#, wowowwowowowowowowow!!!!:angel:

gurtch

Since I am a 74 year old retiree, and need not depend on making a living with my passion (my wife of 52 years, then my photography), I am truly having fun with the 645D. I used the 645, and 645N in my film days, and really like the system. Here is what I have been doing the last several weeks.
Best regards
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ New Member March 15, 2011
www.modernpictorials.com

Last edited:

johnnygoesdigital

Since I am a 74 year old retiree, and need not depend on making a living with my passion (my wife of 52 years, then my photography), I am truly having fun with the 645D. I used the 645, and 645N in my film days, and really like the system. Here is what I have been doing the last several weeks.
Best regards
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com
Very nice...my favorite is the one with snow!

johnnygoesdigital

D&A

Best regards
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com
Dave, Welcome! Nice images and I'm partial to the Jersey shore :) I too really like the one with snow. Nice to see the transition over to the 645D from your earlier work as seen on your website.

Dave (D&A)