Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the 645D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the 645D

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Your leaf image is interesting. The gray backgroung reminds me of leaves hanging onto a tree in the dead of winter as opposed to springtime. The colors are soft, which is what I like in this image....almost makes the image feel delicate.

Dave (D&A)
    Thanks Dave, you always have nice comments even when the image is so-so. I was trying to get a Japanese feel in this image; not quite there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    tom,
    thanks, the pentax is a enigma. people who can afford 10k on this forum, usually go for the more expe sive phase mamiya system or alpa, arca swiss, leica s2, hasselblad h4 etc
    steven
    Steven:

Not too surprising really. As happy as I am with the 645D, I think if I were a pro I'd be very hesitant to go with Pentax. They do not have the support structure that others do, only two lenses available in the US and Hoya's commitment to DSLRs is questionable. Buying this camera is a bit of a gamble. So far it has paid off for me and given the success of the 645D and the K5, Hoya may be convinced that cameras aren't a corporate money pit.

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    People may poo-poo certain features, but given the choice of something like weather proofing who wouldn't take it? Take your $10K Pentax out in the snow storm, or your $40K Hassey/Phase One and a garbage bag ...
    Congratulations! Best of luck, and good shooting to all Pentax 645D users ... you may turn out to be the smartest bunch in the MFD crowd

-Marc
    Thanks Marc and good point. The weather proofing is a significant feature for me. I regard it the same way as a car's air bag: If I'm lucky, I'll never need it. I seem to spend a lot of time in bad weather and most of my photographic travels involve staying in tents. As a non-wealthy hobbyist, there is no way I would be comfortable depending on garbage bag to protect a MFDB.

Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Thanks Dave, you always have nice comments even when the image is so-so. I was trying to get a Japanese feel in this image; not quite there yet.
    Hi Tom,

My comments regarding an image truly reflect what I feel and the image of your leaves reminded me of a favorite oriental image I purchased a number of years ago that was very similar to yours except it had these very small round red berries on the same vines as the leaves. The similarities and "feel" between the two images was uncanny.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

First trials 645D & Grad ND filter:
    45~85 FA lens at 45mm, f13, two stop grad ND filter to try holding detail in bright sky.
    Thanks for looking
    Dave G in NJ
    Last edited by gurtch; 5th September 2013 at 08:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice one Dave

The 45-85mm at F13 works well.
    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steven:

Not too surprising really. As happy as I am with the 645D, I think if I were a pro I'd be very hesitant to go with Pentax. They do not have the support structure that others do, only two lenses available in the US and Hoya's commitment to DSLRs is questionable. Buying this camera is a bit of a gamble. So far it has paid off for me and given the success of the 645D and the K5, Hoya may be convinced that cameras aren't a corporate money pit.
    Tom,
    I am in total agreement with you. As Dave D&A has mentioned and we have had lengthy discussions on the topic of lenses for the 645D, it for sure is a gamble, and thank god i am not a pro, and I live at F11-F13 I just like going out shooting, making prints and hanging them on the wall. And for what I like to shoot, the 645D has performed quite well, sure I wish it had the "Leica" look it doesn't and it probably never will, I love my M9, yet as my vision unfortunately gets worse, I wonder how long I will keep my M9, as much as I love it, I have always been a fan of the 4:3 format over 3:2, especially vertical shoots which I seem to do a lot of, when I shoot my M9 vertical, I end up always cropping to 5:4 format, and my biggest print is then 16x20 which I fine, and hopefully this spring, I will go out on some longer hikes where I will leave my 645D home because of weight, and tripod, and take my M9 and small gitzo tripod which weights almost nothing.
    Though on the other side of the coin I will keep with me the 645D hopefully at all times for any good road kill landscapes on the way to the trails.
    Not much to shoot right now in Park City, kind of grey and muddy.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Dave

The 45-85mm at F13 works well.
    Steven
    Thanks Steven. I, like you, do this for kicks, not for a living. I sent you several files from the 35mm A lens. What did you think? Not as sharp as my 45~85 (I have a really good one), but perfectly useable for my needs. Has anyone seen any reviews/experiences with the 25mm?
    Best
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave your welcome.
    Not heard any news yet on the 25mm, though I am happy with my 35mm A lens, just as happy as I was with my now sold FA 35, which I felt for what I was doing was no better and almost twice the cost.
    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    First trials 645D & Grad ND filter:
    45~85 FA lens at 45mm, f13, two stop grad ND filter to try holding detail in bright sky.
    Thanks for looking
    Dave G in NJ
    Dave, nice colorful shot! The ND filter seems to have worked very well. I too am very impressed with the FA 45mm-85mm lens, especially the more I use it in a variety of shooting situations. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 3rd May 2011 at 20:48.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom,
    I am in total agreement with you. As Dave D&A has mentioned and we have had lengthy discussions on the topic of lenses for the 645D, it for sure is a gamble, and thank god i am not a pro, and I live at F11-F13 I just like going out shooting, making prints and hanging them on the wall. And for what I like to shoot, the 645D has performed quite well, sure I wish it had the "Leica" look it doesn't and it probably never will, I love my M9, yet as my vision unfortunately gets worse, I wonder how long I will keep my M9, as much as I love it, I have always been a fan of the 4:3 format over 3:2, especially vertical shoots which I seem to do a lot of, when I shoot my M9 vertical, I end up always cropping to 5:4 format, and my biggest print is then 16x20 which I fine, and hopefully this spring, I will go out on some longer hikes where I will leave my 645D home because of weight, and tripod, and take my M9 and small gitzo tripod which weights almost nothing.
    Though on the other side of the coin I will keep with me the 645D hopefully at all times for any good road kill landscapes on the way to the trails.
    Not much to shoot right now in Park City, kind of grey and muddy.

Steven
    ***(Revised!)***

Hi Steven & All,

One of the reasons I tested so many samples of most of the FA lenses, was not only to get a better idea as to the performance characteristics of all the samples I was able to find/purchase, but also eventually select those that could be used at wider apertures. Unlike Steven and many others who primarily concentrate on landscapes and thus generally find that they require stopping down lenses to their sweet spot of f11-f13, I often have a need to shot at close to wide open and therefore had to identify those lenses that had adaquate performance at these wider apertures. Not all focal lengths of lens samples I tested qualified. I found many of the samples of the various focal length Pentax FA lenses tested ,were very good at f11-13, but fell short in performance when used at one stop down from their max. aperture. Eventually though I was able to find and identify both the focal length lenses and particular samples of these lenses that had more than sufficient performance when used close to wide open. So depending on an individual's planned use of the Pentax 645D and its lenses, may determine how much work will be required for finding suitable lenses for their own personal need.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 4th May 2011 at 08:36.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Dave and Dave , I guess it's we three who are keeping this thread alive.
    First attempt at focus stacking with only three exposures. 120mm macro at 5.6. Interesting technique, I could never have gotten this DOF without stopping down and bringing the ugly backgtound into focus; I should have chosen a subject not moving in the wind for my first trials, but I love these beech leaves.

Tom
    Tom,

This is one of the best photos I've seen from the 645D for conveying a feeling for the light.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Crop
    Tom

I don't own a 645d (I bought a S2 long before the 645D was available) but I am really impressed with the images you guys are pulling from it. Your shot of Lake Erie is simply stunning.

I do own a K-5 and the 200mm SDM lens and I must say that Pentax really knows how to design and build that focal length! It may be the best of all the lenses I have for the K-5.

Keep posting.........I always feel better after seeing your shots

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matt and Woody:

Sincere thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. Since you've encouraged me, here's one from last night. The weather along the lake is often poor, by that I mean cloudy, windy and rain/snow as systems move from the west. The upside is we often get spectacular sunsets as the sun sets below the cloud level of a departing front. I saw some martins in the sky with a new moon just at sunset. Wish I had a mountain to put in the picture. Handheld with the 45-85mm zoom.
    Woody, have you been posting S2 images? I'd love to see them.

Best,

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom

I posted some a while back but had back surgery three weeks ago and have been recuperating since. So what little I have been shooting has been done with my lightweight K-5

Best

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Tom

I don't own a 645d (I bought a S2 long before the 645D was available) but I am really impressed with the images you guys are pulling from it. Your shot of Lake Erie is simply stunning.

I do own a K-5 and the 200mm SDM lens and I must say that Pentax really knows how to design and build that focal length! It may be the best of all the lenses I have for the K-5.

Keep posting.........I always feel better after seeing your shots

Woody
    Hi Woody,

In 35mm, Pentax since the mid 70's has been quite strong in fast 200mm focal length lenses and exceptional in the 300mm focal length. It's been their forte'. Macro lenses (both 50mm and approx 100mm) is the other area they've always excelled. Much of this performance has translated well to their MF lenses.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 8th May 2011 at 07:49.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Matt and Woody:

Sincere thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. Since you've encouraged me, here's one from last night. The weather along the lake is often poor, by that I mean cloudy, windy and rain/snow as systems move from the west. The upside is we often get spectacular sunsets as the sun sets below the cloud level of a departing front. I saw some martins in the sky with a new moon just at sunset. Wish I had a mountain to put in the picture. Handheld with the 45-85mm zoom.
    Woody, have you been posting S2 images? I'd love to see them.

Best,

Tom
    Tom, moody end of day sky shots are some of favorites. I actually look for good ones most every day when possible. The deep blue patterned sky and sunlight shining through works well. Nice image!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom

I posted some a while back but had back surgery three weeks ago and have been recuperating since. So what little I have been shooting has been done with my lightweight K-5

Best

Woody
    Hi Woody:
    I wish you a speedy recovery.
    How do the K-5 files with those from the S2? Sounds like a silly question, but I ask since I'm tempted by the K-5, but wonder if I would ever choose it over the 645D.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom

In terms of IQ there is no comparison between the K-5 and the S2 (and I suspect the 645).

I bought the K5 and associated lenses primarily for travel to non-exotic places where I wanted a camera but not the heavy kit of the S2 and not where I have $50K at risk. For special or exotic locales, the S2 goes with me no matter what.

K5 sharpness is still an issue for me so it is either technique or my K-5 body is not working properly. I will keep working to determine which is the case

That said, I really like the K5.........solid as a rock, exactly the right size, no EVF (which I hate) and a plethora of great lenses to work with, expecially the FA primes.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another one shot same day and place as post #103. 645D 45~85 @ 45mm, 1/160 sec, monopod, f13 - 2 stop ND grad filter. Thanks for looking
    Dave G in NJ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

I like all the various elements going on in this image and the sky stands out by using your ND filter. The one thing though that caught my eye is in the area of the corner on the "lower left". I realize there are alternating areas of sun splashed wet pavement with shadow areas cast by the wood piers standing up...yet in the lower left corner, that jagged bluish edge looks like some sort of digital artifact. Any idea what caused it or am I not seeing this correctly?

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It appears to me to be an interaction of the shadows along with the texture of the concrete surface and nothing more.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wood View Post
    It appears to me to be an interaction of the shadows along with the texture of the concrete surface and nothing more.
    Hi Charles,

I'm not sure we are refering to the same thing. I'm not refering to the dark sort of rectangle in the lower left corner, but the lighter blue colored jagged edge seen near that dark rectangle. That jagged edge looks like some sort of digital artifact, but I could be mistaken. Just simply an observation. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 10th May 2011 at 05:05.

Post Thanks / Like

Some shots of Sydney Harbour. The pano is a multi-shot stitch using 645D and the new 55mm f2.8 lens released with the camera. The tighter shot was taken with 645D and the 6x7 300mm f4 EDIF lens and an adaptor.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ed, Nice! The Sydney Harbour Skyline is always so attractive and the timing of the shot combined with the end of day lighting of the sky is lovely!

...because it's different, my favorite of the two is the first image of the close-up of the bridge as sort of an abstract of repetitive detail and reminds me of the childhood "Erector Set" . How was the side and edge definition (sharpness) with the new 55 f2.8 and at what f-stop did you use? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 10th May 2011 at 05:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom

In terms of IQ there is no comparison between the K-5 and the S2 (and I suspect the 645)................

Woody
    Thanks Woody; that's the answer I expected, unfortunately.

Love the tight shot of the bridge Ed!
    It's a fun camera isn't it?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, as you mentioned, I think most everyone agrees the 645D is a fun camera (for those who that have tried it), yet is capable of serious work when required.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keep posting the shots from the 645D. It's great to be able to see how the resulting images and colors of each of these MF systems differ. Each system certainly has a particular look to it. To my eyes, it seems like the colors from the 645D look similar to those from Hasselblad ... bright and cheery. Personally, I would have investigated the 645D more before I purchased my S2 if not for the lack of lenses with strong performance at wide-open apertures. For those who like to shoot stopped down and are willing to spend some time identifying and acquiring excellent lenses, it's a system to look into for its value considerations.

Patience, might be key for those with and/or looking into the system. Developing a body/back and slowly filling in the lens line seems to be the way that each of these manufacturers is approaching the market. Phase has done a great job with this with updates to their lens line-up and I'm feeling good about the four current lenses now available with the S2 (remember the S2 has been on the market for a couple of years now).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Keep posting the shots from the 645D. It's great to be able to see how the resulting images and colors of each of these MF systems differ. Each system certainly has a particular look to it. To my eyes, it seems like the colors from the 645D look similar to those from Hasselblad ... bright and cheery. Personally, I would have investigated the 645D more before I purchased my S2 if not for the lack of lenses with strong performance at wide-open apertures. For those who like to shoot stopped down and are willing to spend some time identifying and acquiring excellent lenses, it's a system to look into for its value considerations.

Patience, might be key for those with and/or looking into the system. Developing a body/back and slowly filling in the lens line seems to be the way that each of these manufacturers is approaching the market. Phase has done a great job with this with updates to their lens line-up and I'm feeling good about the four current lenses now available with the S2 (remember the S2 has been on the market for a couple of years now).
    Kurt, your assesment regarding the 645D is quite accurate from my experience. Although current Pentax lenses don't have quite the peformance characteristics of the S2 lenses, especially wide open...if one is willing to go through testing multiple samples of a given lens to find "good ones", certain (although not all) focal lengths are quite usable near their widest aperture or at the least, a stop down. Those comparing theses two systems must keep in mind though that many similar focal lengths between the two system initially start with their widest apertures a stop apart... ie: the Pentax lenses a bit slower. Therefore, even if all other things were equal in terms of optical performance (which they are not) and a pair of respective lenses from both manufacturers could be shot wide open...the Pentax lenses are a stop behind and so the resulting image, OOF areas, bokeh will be different of course. In addition, edge/side detail in some of the Pentax lenses will also not be quite as good until well stopped down.

With all that said, I am finding the 645D array of lenses quite capable, have many desirable image characteristics, some are quite exceptional, and compared to other MFD systems, on the whole, reasonably affordable and moderately easy to find.

For those that haven't seen Kurt's and many other Leica S2 users posted images, I'd urge you to have a look in the "S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots " forum here on Getdpi (under the Leica heading)......where some really remarkable shots can be seen taken with the S2 system.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

I like all the various elements going on in this image and the sky stands out by using your ND filter. The one thing though that caught my eye is in the area of the corner on the "lower left". I realize there are alternating areas of sun splashed wet pavement with shadow areas cast by the wood piers standing up...yet in the lower left corner, that jagged bluish edge looks like some sort of digital artifact. Any idea what caused it or am I not seeing this correctly?

Dave (D&A)
    Hi D&A Dave. Thanks for your comments. I really do not know what the blueish area is. I am posting two more shots. First one is entire scene, but slightly different viewpoint. That area is still there. 2nd shot is of a blown up detail of the area in question. I will check all the files closely taken that day to see if it is in any others.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For those that haven't seen Kurt's and many other Leica S2 users posted images, I'd urge you to have a look in the "S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots " forum here on Getdpi (under the Leica heading)......where some really remarkable shots can be seen taken with the S2 system.

Dave (D&A)
    Thanks for the tip Dave, some great images there.

Kurt, I saw you first post there, a long-hair German shepherd dog. Love they way they look. Great dogs, my parents had one who played goalie in street hockey with neighborhood kids. He really knew his position and it was hilarious to watch.

I've done few tests at 1600 ISO with the 645D. I hadn't tried that yet, assuming it would be pointless; however, it is surprisingly good. A lot of chroma noise in the blacks, but better than missing a shot. Handheld, 400mm and a very tough situation with the bright background and the bird's black face in the shadows.
    Last edited by tsjanik; 11th May 2011 at 04:28. Reason: typo

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Hi D&A Dave. Thanks for your comments. I really do not know what the blueish area is. I am posting two more shots. First one is entire scene, but slightly different viewpoint. That area is still there. 2nd shot is of a blown up detail of the area in question. I will check all the files closely taken that day to see if it is in any others.
    Dave
    Hi Dave,

That jagged blue color area is not in your subsequent shots, so it might have been a one time thing and maybe not even a digital artifact. Hard to say. Every once in a while, with most digital cameras, strange things might be seen in areas of "bright light going into deep shodow" transition areas. Other than that I wouldn't worry. I like the first shot of the boat best, from that vantage point.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip Dave, some great images there.

Kurt, I saw you first post there, a long-hair German shepherd dog. Love they way they look. Great dogs, my parents had one who played goalie in street hockey with neighborhood kids. He really knew his position and it was hilarious to watch.

I've done few tests at 1600 ISO with the 645D. I hadn't tried that yet, assuming it would be pointless; however, it is surprising good. A lot of chroma noise in the blacks, but better than the missing a shot Handheld, 400mm and a very tough situation with the bright background and the bird's black face in the shadows.
    Hi Tom,

I really haven't worked with ISO 1600 on the 645D, so nice to hear it's quite usable. It's hard to get a hand held shot of a small bird with a 400mm lens, so if your shot was handheld, detail did hold up fairly well. I assume the right hand shot posted is a crop of the original shot on the left hand side, except you "white balanced" it?

The FA 400 lens, like most of the 300mm 645 lenses is exceedingly sharp. I was surprised that it held it's own against the FA 300 f4 lens. Lovely looking bird!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your comments guys!

Dave - I am generally very happy with the resolution and sharpness of the new 55 f2.8 lens released with the 645D, though on occasion it strikes me as only 'good' rather than 'outstanding' (which is disappointing). However, I have the impression that this lack is due to autofocus accuracy and perhaps resolution across the frame rather than absolute maximum performance; I haven't done enough controlled testing to be sure. By the way, I also have a Pentax 6x7 55mm f4 lens against which I could do comparative testing but have not done so yet. People speak very highly of the peformance of this lens compared to the nw 55mm f2.8 lens, so that could be interesting (though of course I would lose the AF).

The tighter shot used the Pentax 6x7 300mm F4 EDIF at f11 (shutter speed of 10 seconds, ISO 400). The panoramic used the new 55 f2.8 lens at f13 (various diffeent shutter speeds for the different stitched frames; ISO 200).

tsjanik - Yes, I have great fun with the camera. Very fun to use. I love the screen - this must be one of the camera's greatest unsung virtues. Very clear - really allows good evaluation of sharpness. The only gripe I have is the speed at which it writes files to the cards (though I have perhaps been too used to Canon speeds in these matters). Totally worth it though - the quality knocks the socks off anything I have achieved before, by some margin (including my 5Dii and my 6x7 results).

Post Thanks / Like

When I said good screen, I meant the LCD by the way! (though the viewfinder is also good)

Post Thanks / Like

I can confirm the comments above - that, if used stopped down, the glass available for the 645D is very good indeed. Once you get away from the widest apertures, which suits my style anyway most of the time, I doubt very much that you will ever see better results from any system, at least with the best of the lenses. Some of the options available of course are less sparkling; it's a case of researching which are the best lenses you can find. I have been especially impressed by the Pentax 6x7 75mm f2.8AL lens and the 6x7 300mm f4 EDIF, which are simply incredible optics. They are outstanding close to wide open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tom,

... I assume the right hand shot posted is a crop of the original shot on the left hand side, except you "white balanced" it?...

Dave (D&A)
    Correct Dave. The whole image is as it came from the camera; the crop had some processing.

Ed: Interesting to hear your comments on the 67 75mm f/2.8. I have a copy of that lens but I have been so impressed with the 645 75mm FA I haven't used the 67 lens. I'll have to try it. Related is the performance of the 67 90mm f/2.8, which I have found very sharp at 2.8. The only problem is achieving focus where it's desired

The write speed is a problem. If you turn off the lens correction and chromatic corrections, the write speed approximately doubles (down to 7-8 sec from 15 for me).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed HUrst View Post
    Thanks for your comments guys!

Dave - I am generally very happy with the resolution and sharpness of the new 55 f2.8 lens released with the 645D, though on occasion it strikes me as only 'good' rather than 'outstanding' (which is disappointing). However, I have the impression that this lack is due to autofocus accuracy and perhaps resolution across the frame rather than absolute maximum performance; I haven't done enough controlled testing to be sure. By the way, I also have a Pentax 6x7 55mm f4 lens against which I could do comparative testing but have not done so yet. People speak very highly of the peformance of this lens compared to the nw 55mm f2.8 lens, so that could be interesting (though of course I would lose the AF).

The tighter shot used the Pentax 6x7 300mm F4 EDIF at f11 (shutter speed of 10 seconds, ISO 400). The panoramic used the new 55 f2.8 lens at f13 (various diffeent shutter speeds for the different stitched frames; ISO 200).

tsjanik - Yes, I have great fun with the camera. Very fun to use. I love the screen - this must be one of the camera's greatest unsung virtues. Very clear - really allows good evaluation of sharpness. The only gripe I have is the speed at which it writes files to the cards (though I have perhaps been too used to Canon speeds in these matters). Totally worth it though - the quality knocks the socks off anything I have achieved before, by some margin (including my 5Dii and my 6x7 results).
    Ed, your observations regarding the performance of the new Pentax WR 55 f2.8 lens mirrors mine. I am in the process of writing up a summary of all the Pentax FA af lenses I've used & tested so far, and all samples of the WR 55 f2.8 I've tested performed basically the same....namely that is's a good to very good lens but not spectacular. The sides/edges are actually decent at close to mid distances if stopped down, but as subject distances get longer, the edge/side/corner performance deteriorates. The lens besides being "WR" also is usable in some situations at f2.8 but of course it benefits from stopping down.

As you, Tom and many others have noticed, the write speeds to a memory card is quite slow in the 645D, even with the fastest possible cards and with all in-camera settings that may slow writing "tuned off". It appears it's the limits of the internal processor and this was done as a cost cutting measure, in order to keep the camera well within a certain price point. It's the relatively small price we all have to pay for having the 645D made available at a lower price that it may have been, if they had decided to incorporate a faster processor...which in turn might have required upgrading of other components to a higher price point too.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 11th May 2011 at 07:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is for all of us who have gone through the cold, wet, cloudy and generally depressing spring in the Great Lakes and northeast. I posted a shot of a purple beech taken two weeks ago - last year's leaves hanging on to a dead-looking branch on a wet, dreary day. Here's a focus stack of two shots taken of the same tree today. 67 300mm ED at f/4. What a difference two weeks can make. NB: The white "halo" is not from stacking or sharpening; the leaves have very fine hairs at the edges.
    Last edited by tsjanik; 12th May 2011 at 19:19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not to inspired, but a few from Dead Horse Point by Moab
    35mm A at F13 and 45-85mm FA 45mm at F13

Steven

Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This is for all of us who have gone through the cold, wet, cloudy and generally depressing spring in the Great Lakes and northeast. I posted a shot of a purple beech taken two weeks ago - last year's leaves hanging on to a dead-looking branch on a wet, dreary day. Here's a focus stack of two shots taken of the same tree today. 67 300mm ED at f/4. What a difference two weeks can make. NB: The white "halo" is not from stacking or sharpening; the leaves have very fine hairs at the edges.
    Tom,

I've noticed your lovely images often alternate between the dramatic (the lake shots at sunset) and the serene. Of course both are often elements of successful nature and landscape photography. Interesting and I like the delicate nature of the leaves and coloring.

One question though. I noticed that you employed focus stacking yet if I'm correct you shot wide open at f4? If you objective was to get a little more depth of field, whey did you not stop down some more....or was it to keep the shutter speed as high as possible to prevent leave movement? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not to inspired, but a few from Dead Horse Point by Moab
    35mm A at F13 and 45-85mm FA 45mm at F13

Steven

Steve,

Believe me they are inspiring and fantastic shots! Looks like the "A" 35mm 645 lens is working out. Can't of course tell from web sized images, but it appears sharpness extends out to the sides and edges in the pic taken with the 35mm? (knowing this has been an issue primarily with Pentax's 35mm 645 lenses.)

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steven:
    I really like the 2nd shot. The 35mm A seems to be doing well for you.

Dave:
    Thanks. I like the bokeh or out-of-focus regions of the 300 at f/4, had I stopped down it would have caused the background leaves to be less blurred and less pleasing to my eye. This seems to be unique advantage of stacking, the out-of-focus blur of a wide open lens with increased depth of field. Increased shutter speed is also a plus.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The weather in the northeast has returned to normal, i.e., it's unpleasant. I took some bird shots with the 400mm today. First is the most miserable-looking Blue Jay I've ever seen (excluding the baseball team), second is a grosbeak, a little unkempt and last is an oriole who looks on with apparent distain. (heavy crops at 800 ISO)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The weather in the northeast has returned to normal, i.e., it's unpleasant. I took some bird shots with the 400mm today. First is the most miserable-looking Blue Jay I've ever seen (excluding the baseball team), second is a grosbeak, a little unkempt and last is an oriole who looks on with apparent distain. (heavy crops at 800 ISO)
    It's quite ironic that you've posted these images today (Sunday). I was on my way back from a shoot, which the 645D played a prominant role. Skies were dark as it was raining a good part of the day, but just before it got compltely dark, I passed a small bird wildlife designated area and decided to stop. I walked about 100 feet down a boardwalk while cyclists passed by (I'm generally on of them), casuing tremendous ground vibration while I quickly set up the 645D and a 300mm lens. Some small birds like yours showed up on branches and I was already at rediculously low shutter speeds and ISO 800 but went ahead and took a few shots. Lets just say I admire your small bird captures, these and your previous ones. Not as easy to do as with 35mm DSLR equipment, especially if the light is low.

Your descriptions of the bird's dispositions seem dead on and none look particulary happy...but then again, who's to say what they are really thinking. In my case, they probabaly thought "stupid MF photographer"

Always nice to see your nature shots...as I too use the 645D for a variety of things besides the conventional landscape type images.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 16th May 2011 at 01:24.

Post Thanks / Like

645D with 300mm & 1.4X Experience?

I found and purchased a very, very reasonable used 300mm manual focus 300mm A* EDIF. I also found a brand new (old stock) 1.4x converter for $399, & free shipping. For a new item with warranty, this also seemed very reasonable. I noted in the lens data section on the Pentax Forum, that the 1.4 converter is dedicatted to the 300mm A*, but also useable with the 120mm & 200mm (which I have, but can't imagine using it with these lenses). Does anyone have 645D experience:

1) The 300mm without the 1.4X at around f11 for long distance landscape work?

2) The 300mm with 1.4X, also at f11 for long distance landscape work, or closeups of distant landscape details?

Thanks in advance

Dave in NJ

www.modernpictorials.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave,

I have access and tested the FA 300 f4 645 lens which I believe has the same optical formula as the manual focus version you have and also have access to the 1.4x but haven't yet gotten around to testing that combination. I hope to do so soon.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=D&A;318812]Hi Dave,

I have access and tested the FA 300 f4 645 lens which I believe has the same optical formula as the manual focus version you have and also have access to the 1.4x but haven't yet gotten around to testing that combination. I hope to do so soon.

Dave (D&A)[/QUOT

Dave: Thanks. I am travelling to see kids'and grankids' graduations, and will not return until June 1, and the two items will be waiting for me. If I get a chance berfore you do, I will publish my findings. I was also wondering about the 2X with this lens. I know 2X extenders tend to soften results more than 1.4X, but I have a Canon 500 f4 L IS, and with the Canon 2X, I made very sucessful 24"x30" prints.
    Thanks again
    Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave,

I too will post my findings after I have a chance to test this particular combination. I've heard from most, that the Pentax 2x for 645 is mediocre at best and only one person said it was decent. It's not surprising since most times 2x converters generally result in too much loss of resolution. The Canon and the new Nikon 2x teleconverters are the exception. The older Nikon 2x was generally to be avoided but their new 2x is the first 2x teleconverter I've used by anyone where the results were astonishingly good. In any case, have fun on your travels!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Two images from 645D with FA 150/2.8 at f3.5, ISO 200 (and -2 ev fill flash), supported on monopod. Full frame and 100% crop.

No PS'ing; developed in Raw Developer with only slight color balance adj (...colors on posted image seems off from what I observe in the original and in print; ah, but better once enlarged, so just thumbnails look strange).

The 645D has exc AF accuracy and the 150 is bitingly sharp at it's plane of focus, center to edge.
    Last edited by rjones; 25th May 2011 at 11:38.

Post Thanks / Like

645D, FA 150/2.8 at 1/125, f3.2, ISO 200.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

HI rjones,

Very cute photo of the young child!

The 150 f2.8 645 lens is a superb lens on the 645D with the caveat that a "good performing sample is found. I tested quite a few 150mm f2.8 lenses and it took some time before one was found that performed as you described....excellent sharpness across the frame, even wide open. The shallow depth of field with certain subjects is icing on the cake.

Dave (D&A)