The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

D&A

A rainy day with gray diffused light from the window. A little test to evaluate a few lenses with the same subject: FA150 2,8 67 105 2,4 and FA35 3,5

FA35 @ 3,5

IMGP0614A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

FA150 @ 5,6

IMGP0612A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

FA150 @ 2,8

IMGP0611A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

67 105 @ 2,4

IMGP0585A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio
Sergio,

Nice comparison of these particular lenses along with a very love shot. The low key look of the image with its delicate tonality, go perfect with the subject matter.

After finially coming across a really good sample of the 150mm f2.8, it's become a lens I look forward to shooting with. Thanks for posting these.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Thanks Johnny and Dave.
A few more with the FA120 macro. Color rendition seems very good and natural

IMGP0641A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0642A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0638A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0636A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0635A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio
Hi Sergio,

I couldn't agree more. Color rendition with the Pentax FA 120 f4 645 macro is superb and web sized images can't completely illustrate this point as well as prints do. Although there are lots of good FA lenses, the FA 120 macro is the one lens above all others that I would recommend to someone just getting a 645D body...as sample to sample consisitancy is near perfect and it never fails to perform up to the standards that one would hope and expect.

Lovely images Sergio!

Dave (D&A)

Since I am a 74 year old retiree, and need not depend on making a living with my passion (my wife of 52 years, then my photography), I am truly having fun with the 645D. I used the 645, and 645N in my film days, and really like the system. Here is what I have been doing the last several weeks.
Best regards
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ New Member March 15, 2011
www.modernpictorials.com
Dave,
first and last are my preferred, two contrapposed athmosferes really well rendered.
Show more!
Sergio

D&A

Hi Dave, really a very fine lens ( but the 150 is way lighter)
A little portrait with the 120.
Sergio

IMGP0510A by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr
Hi Sergio,

I'm looking at your lovely portrait taken with the FA 150 f2.8 on my iPad...Lovely! Skin tones from what I see are spot on. The 150 is much lighter than the 120 macro...so light that I thought maybe the lens was missing a few internal glass elements...LOL! Except for similar focal lengths, each of these two lenses is quite different optically. I like both but for very different reasons.
Thanks for posting these 645D images.

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

Ok, just for fun. Use of equipment from three formats: Pentax M 50mm macro (35mm) reverse mounted to Pentax 67 reverse mount, to 67 extension tubes, to 67/645 adapter, to 645D Postage stamp and US penny coin.
Sergio: love the portrait, what a beautiful little girl.

D&A

Tim, amazing detail. If I understand you correctly, you were able to use the smaller image circle after reverse mounting your Pentax 50mm M macro (a 35mm format lens) via adapter rings and using 67 extension tubes? Of course starting with a great macro as the Pentax 50 f4 macro's were, certainly didn't hurt :) . Nice!

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Dave, Welcome! Nice images and I'm partial to the Jersey shore :) I too really like the one with snow. Nice to see the transition over to the 645D from your earlier work as seen on your website.

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave: Thanks for the welcome. The southern NJ shore is a great place to live, especially in the "off season". My wife and I were at the north end of Long Beach Island (Barnegat Light) several days ago in the dune area, and there was no one around for miles. Here are two that I have developed so far, made with the 645D and 45~85, and 120 MF Macro.
Best to all
Dave

Last edited:

gurtch

Do your RAW DNG files all look sort of "dull" before post? Mine do and I try to expose to the right, and bracket. After post, all is fine, but I usually must resort to splitting sky and forground on to their own layers, then applying levels to each separately, again with own layers. I will try to upload a RAW file converted to small JPG, with no post. Then I will upload the final result, the way I remember it (albeit I added the surfers). Appreciate any comments from you guys. I appreciate your time in helping a 74 yr old amateur.
Thanks Dave G
www.modernpictorials.com
PS: The images on the back of the camera when I play them back, all look great, as I remember them. Someone told me that if I used the Pentax software, it would recognize in camera settings, and apply during RAW conversion.

Last edited:
Dave, you obtained a very dramatic effect with your PP work. Perhaps the base of clouds has a little to much blue (usually base of clouds is nearly gray)and contrast could be weakened a little, as it is in most of the very pleasant landscapes that I admired in your site.
Seems that there are not many Pentax 645d users here at Getdpi!
Best regards
Sergio

D&A

Hi Dave,

I would tend to agree with the constructive comments of Sergio. I like the more realistic and dramatic effects of the sky and image on the left (as posted)...as opposed to the increased contrast and "blue intensity" of the photo posted on the right. A lighgt hand in post processing, especially when adding some dramatic effects, goes a long way to imporving a photographic while still keeping it looking natural. I too really like this particular image of yours :)

Sergio, I think there are more users of the 645D on Getdpi than are posting but hopefully in time more will contribute their thoughts.

Dave (D&A)

kuau

Workshop Member
One from yesterday, Stormy Spring Day in Park City.
645D, 300mm FA F11, ISO 400

Steven

That is a strong image Steven. I wonder if it would be better in B&W or if the brown tones of the tree branches add that extra little bit to the image.

D&A

Sergio,

Lovely portrait with a great smile! It looks though like you were shooting into the light, not only becuase of the flair and reflection of aperture blades, but of the lower contrast due to these factors. Yet throuygh it all, the sharpnes and detail comes through.

Steven,

Great Shot! Wow, still snowing as we go into springtime...although we're just about to get hit with a snowstorm in a few hours too.

I kind of like that it was kept in color...as its somewhat close to being monotone yet small slices of color come through like the tree branches/trunk, the green ski poles and the little bit of red in his waist pouch. I'd have to see a B&W version to know whcih one I'd prefer.

Dave (D&A)

Thanks Dave, in general acceptable flare resistance with this lens, and an UV filter was
included, just to complicate a little...

Steven, great photo and for me also as is it is perfect. The presence of the skyer exactly
in the right position is a strong plus.

Sergio

tsjanik

Love the snow scene Steven. I'm jealous of the shot and what appears to be good skiing conditions. Here's a sunset shot of Lake Erie; two stitched shots taken with a 200mm FA.

Tom