Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the 645D

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the 645D

Thanks, Tom and Dave, for your suggestions. I've had the 645D for a day now...handling is fine, but, my, it's a noisy rascal...the mirror bangs up with a crack! Would be a real attention-getter during a wedding ceremony...also was disappointed at how slow the SD card functions...but then I forget it's working on 40 mb.

I have purchased a 45, 55, 75, 120 macro, and a 200/4. All A lenses. Total amount spent: less than $1000, thanks to Atlanta's Wings Camera's offerings on eBay. I've tried the 55 and the 200 on the 645D. 55 is very good...200 echhhhh, so far. Tried the 120 macro on the Canon 40D...very fine lens.

More to come as I get into this a bit more.

Roy Benson

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Roy,

I realize the lenses you're using currently are manual focus versions...some of which had the same optical formula as their AF counterparts (and a few that didn't). I mention this since some (not all) of the AF versions (FA lenses) require very strick AF fine tune adjustment on the 645D body, in order to extract good (better) performance. The other thing thats critical is finding samples who's initial factory adjustments are a good match when used with a sensor based camera (like the 645D. regarding this latter point, I was extremely disappointed with the FA AF 200 f4 lens and went on to test more samples. After quite a few samples (all performing mediocre at best), I found one that was exceptionally good, even at f4. THis confirmed what I found in many other FA focal lengths..that indivudal samples can make an astonishing difference. The one lens that was always consistant from sample to sample was the FA 120mm f4 macro. I suspect this is because in the film days when all these lenses were manufactured, tight tolerances was needed for macro lenses (especially in their macro range)..whereas other lenses, just had to be "close" since it was being used with film, which is more forgiving. I've been meaning to post my comprehensive Pentax 645 lens tests with most all FA lenses, but can't quite finish writing it up. Hopefully soon.

Dave (D&A)

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to the results of your comprehensive testing, Dave. All of the lenses I have are "A" lenses, but an interesting anomaly has risen that is apropos of your comments about fine tune adjustments. I have a 200/4A lens that renders tack sharp images when used with an adapter and Canon 40D...when I put the 200 on the 645D, less than 10% of the images are anywhere near sharp...they look sharp in the viewfinder, but when they show up on the computer monitor screen, they are not.
    The only other lens that I have used on the 645D is the 55/2.8 and that has been fine.
    Conclusions? 200/4 needs fine tuning in the 645D?

Roy Benson

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    Looking forward to the results of your comprehensive testing, Dave. All of the lenses I have are "A" lenses, but an interesting anomaly has risen that is apropos of your comments about fine tune adjustments. I have a 200/4A lens that renders tack sharp images when used with an adapter and Canon 40D...when I put the 200 on the 645D, less than 10% of the images are anywhere near sharp...they look sharp in the viewfinder, but when they show up on the computer monitor screen, they are not.
    The only other lens that I have used on the 645D is the 55/2.8 and that has been fine.
    Conclusions? 200/4 needs fine tuning in the 645D?

Roy Benson
    I haven't specifically worked with many of the manual focus "A" lenses on the 645D, but I suspect that if you are using the AF confirmation light in theviewfinder to determine correct focus, then of course AF fine tune will alter the point when this light comes one. If this is the case, then AF fine tuning will certainly help. The issue I had wither certain Af lenses is not only having to AF fine tune them, but also certain sample were far better than others...even though each was fine tuned with the 645D AF fine tune system. So its a two fold issue.

BY the way, purchasing fast SDHC cards won't speed up the camera processing the images. reason being is Pentax, in order to save money in production costs and therefore the price point the camera is sold at...put in a slow processor. The limiting fator is therefore the processor, not using average speed cards. So save you money for lenses, not cards.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post

BY the way, purchasing fast SDHC cards won't speed up the camera processing the images. reason being is Pentax, in order to save money in production costs and therefore the price point the camera is sold at...put in a slow processor. The limiting fator is therefore the processor, not using average speed cards. So save you money for lenses, not cards.

Dave (D&A)
    I found with my 645d by only enabling writing to one card and using RAW, the length of time from shutter release to image display is barely one second. The time lengthens of course, with two cards and writing RAW+JPG to each card.

A fast SDHC card does offer the potential benefit of faster read time when downloading images.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wood View Post
    I found with my 645d by only enabling writing to one card and using RAW, the length of time from shutter release to image display is barely one second. The time lengthens of course, with two cards and writing RAW+JPG to each card.

A fast SDHC card does offer the potential benefit of faster read time when downloading images.
    Hi Charles,

If you are refering to when the image shows up briefly on the LCD sceen for a couple seconds (for a quick look) after pressing the shutter, then I believe this is simply a quick look at the file from (using) the camera's buffer..although maybe a slightly faster card might help a bit.....BUT...if we're refering to the write time the camera takes to actually write the file(s) to the card (so that image also can be viewed indefinitely on the LCD screen, then most everyone has experienced fairly long and slow write times which weren't helped by using expensive fast cards. In this case, a moderately priced regular class 6 card did about as well as the fastest and most expensive cards on the market. I (and others) have tried this actual experiment on a number of occasions with well controlled "timed" tests and it made little to no difference which decent and moderately priced fast card was used. It appears the processor is the limiting factor in its processing speed to process and write images to the card. As sort of compensation, the buffer on the 645D is of decent size, so at least one can fire off a good numer of shots in succession.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 16th August 2011 at 05:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Charles,
    I (and others) have tried this actual experiment on a number of occasions with well controlled "timed" tests and it made little to no difference which decent and moderately priced fast card was used. It appears the processor is the limiting factor in its processing speed to process and write images to the card. As sort of compensation, the buffer on the 645D is of decent size, so at least one can fire off a good numer of shots in succession.

Dave (D&A)
    I don't disagree with your statement. My personal work around was to set the quick digital preview to five seconds. I found when taking a single frame by the time the preview disappeared, a touch of the image button brought up the written file within a second or so, if I wanted to digitally enlarge the file to check focus, etc.

There are actually two other issues I'm finding more bothersome than the write times. The first is the AF Fine Tune. On my K-5, I have the option of applying the adjustment to One or All lenses. On my 645D there is not a One option. The fine tune can only be applied to All. Do others here find the same with their 645Ds? If so, I am wondering why Pentax made the decision to disallow the One option on the 645D.

Second issue: Optical DOF preview. Again, on my K-5 when I use the Optical Preview position on the On/Off switch ring, I can check depth of field. When I do the same thing on the 645D the shutter trips. What have I missed?

Thanks!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are actually two other issues I'm finding more bothersome than the write times. The first is the AF Fine Tune. On my K-5, I have the option of applying the adjustment to One or All lenses. On my 645D there is not a One option. The fine tune can only be applied to All. Do others here find the same with their 645Ds? If so, I am wondering why Pentax made the decision to disallow the One option on the 645D.
    That option exists on the 645D. What firmware are you using?

Second issue: Optical DOF preview. Again, on my K-5 when I use the Optical Preview position on the On/Off switch ring, I can check depth of field. When I do the same thing on the 645D the shutter trips. What have I missed?

Thanks!
    You have your preview setting on the menu set to digital or electronic or something. Sorry, I don't have my 645d with me right now. But I have my 645D set to stop the aperture down with the on/off switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I solved both problems. I was using a manual focus lens when I attempted the calibration. Duhhh!

I thought I had set the digital preview to Off but I had not. Now working OK.

Thanks!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I solved both problems. I was using a manual focus lens when I attempted the calibration. Duhhh!

I thought I had set the digital preview to Off but I had not. Now working OK.

Thanks!
    Hi Charles,

Glad problems are solved and thanks for the lively discussions. Yes, with an AF lens, Af fine tune can be applied to one lens or to all. Applying to all makes no sense since each lens on the 645D requires a different Af fine tune setting. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Shutting off the AF confirmation light did the trick with the 200/4...nice, sharp images as a result.

I'm a 24/7 caregiver...means my area of picture-taking is very restricted...I'm fortunate in that there is a large garden on the other side of my backyard fence...and my time is limited to the very early AM hours.

While waiting for the 645D to arrive (it has) I tested lenses on the Canon 40D..
    here are samples using the 45/2.8...which becomes a 65-67mm lens...and was very pleased with the results...judging from comments on this thread, there is some unhappiness with the edges of the 45...but with the 40D I'm getting the lens' "sweet spot".

Roy Benson
    Last edited by benroy; 19th December 2014 at 08:25.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ben,

If I understand you correctly, you're essentually ignoring the AF conformation light when focusing with your manual focus 200 f4 and simply focusing till the image looks the sharpest in the 645D viewfinder. If so (and my assumption is correct), then it demonstrates that if your 200 f4 was a Af lens, it would have needed Af fine tuning in the 645D body. In fact I suppose you could Af fine tune your MF 200 f4 and eventually have the Af conformation light come on at the exact point where the image looks sharpest to your eye.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ben,

If I understand you correctly, you're essentually ignoring the AF conformation light when focusing with your manual focus 200 f4 and simply focusing till the image looks the sharpest in the 645D viewfinder. If so (and my assumption is correct), then it demonstrates that if your 200 f4 was a Af lens, it would have needed Af fine tuning in the 645D body. In fact I suppose you could Af fine tune your MF 200 f4 and eventually have the Af conformation light come on at the exact point where the image looks sharpest to your eye.

Dave (D&A)
    Is it possible to set FA lense to manual focus and ignore the focus confirmation light, and get sharp focus?
    Dave

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave and Dave (D&A): This is what I did with the 200/4 A: I turned to page 44 of the 645D manual, and under Memo it says: "You can also use [13. AF button function] in the [C2]menu to set the AF button function to [AF cancel]. (ref. Menu manual: page R.31)"...and it worked and has worked for the other A lenses that I have tried.

I have yet to meet a 645A lens that I didn't like...and I have tried the 45, 55,80-160,
    120 macro, and the 200. The 80-160, by the way, is a real load, but the images are very good.

Roy Benson

Post Thanks / Like

645D 45~85 lens, slow shutter speed (intentional). I experimented with the B+W 10 stop ND. It did not work for me using 15 to 30 second exposures. The water and breaking waves "disappeared", and the clouds moved. This exposure was briefer--I think 1/10 second ot around ther.
    Thanks for looking
    Dave
    Last edited by gurtch; 5th September 2013 at 08:18.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    645D 45~85 lens, slow shutter speed (intentional). I experimented with the B+W 10 stop ND. It did not work for me using 15 to 30 second exposures. The water and breaking waves "disappeared", and the clouds moved. This exposure was briefer--I think 1/10 second ot around ther.
    Thanks for looking
    Dave
    Dave, that is just superb, love the composition of leading lines. Great work.

I must get myself a 10 stop ND. Been hanging out until I could afford the Lee one.
    Odille

H2 | P20 | HC 50-110 | HC 150 f3.2 | HC 210 f4 ~ My Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Dave, that is just superb, love the composition of leading lines. Great work.

I must get myself a 10 stop ND. Been hanging out until I could afford the Lee one.
    +1 I too love the composition of leading lines, the colors & hues, and the almost sureal look of the image. Very nice Dave!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Waiting for Godot or a tilt/shift

I had to shoot this building for a client yesterday. While I shot it with the Nikon and 28MM PC combo I experimented with the Pentax 645 and the 35MM lens. The camera was set about 7 feet off the ground but I still had to tilt to get the building in. I corrected perspective in CS 5 , but in the process lost some of the sky and the flag on top of the building. I then extended the sky and brought the flag back into the image. There was cropping of about a third of the bottom of the image to eliminate the foreground.

Hey Pentax! Make a T/S lens for chrissake!
    Last edited by aboudd; 20th January 2012 at 16:07.
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com

Post Thanks / Like

+1 I too love the composition of leading lines, the colors & hues, and the almost sureal look of the image. Very nice Dave!

Dave (D&A)
    Thank you for the encouragement. At 74 years of age, I need sometimes a little stimulus to get me going. Seeing the quality of work posted here, I am flattered with your comments
    Dave Beach Haven NJ-----bracing for a major hurricane. Our island is only 4 to 1 block wide, 16 miles long

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up a 35/3.5 A for the 645D...very impressed with this fine lens...most impressed with the way it holds fine detail despite heavy cropping...will send pics when I can conjure up some images worthy of this thread/forum.

Roy Benson

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Thank you for the encouragement. At 74 years of age, I need sometimes a little stimulus to get me going. Seeing the quality of work posted here, I am flattered with your comments
    Dave Beach Haven NJ-----bracing for a major hurricane. Our island is only 4 to 1 block wide, 16 miles long
    Dave,

You certainly have posted many lovely images, especially those of the area of which you live in...so not sure how much stimulus you need Seems you're doing just fine.

I know the Jersey shores got particularly hard hit by the Hurricane, so I hope all is OK with you. Let us know.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benroy View Post
    Just picked up a 35/3.5 A for the 645D...very impressed with this fine lens...most impressed with the way it holds fine detail despite heavy cropping...will send pics when I can conjure up some images worthy of this thread/forum.

Roy Benson
    HI Roy,

I use the FA 35mm f3.5 lens and although I believe this lens and your have a slightly different optical arrangement, they eprformance characteristics are quite similar. In fact the manual focus version may have slightly superior edge and corner performance. Looking forward to seeing some images from it. Dave (who posted above), also uses this lens, I believe.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

You certainly have posted many lovely images, especially those of the area of which you live in...so not sure how much stimulus you need Seems you're doing just fine.

I know the Jersey shores got particularly hard hit by the Hurricane, so I hope all is OK with you. Let us know.

Dave (D&A)
    Thanks for the good wishes. We escaped with no major problems, except beach erosion. I did record the afterwards sky as soon as we were allowed back on the island. I posted it in the "Fun with Sony" section.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

The storm picture link is here:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...t=9664&page=18
    Dave

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This thread has been moved to the Pentax Forum as the S2 was moved to the Leica Forum. Thanks Guy
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Examples of first work-out of 35/3.5. I'll apologize in advance for not including landscapes and architecturals...I'm limited to my immediate environs, but I think these pics will demonstrate a very fine lens, with great rendering of fine detail...F/11 @ 10 feet and you have a killer wedding candid lens.

Roy Benson
    Last edited by benroy; 19th December 2014 at 08:25.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    This thread has been moved to the Pentax Forum as the S2 was moved to the Leica Forum. Thanks Guy
    Does this mean the Pentax is banished from the medium-format section? This seems like an odd move. It is your call, but it is strange...

Just a comment...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Does this mean the Pentax is banished from the medium-format section? This seems like an odd move. It is your call, but it is strange...

Just a comment...
    It is obvious. There is a fun with any MFD here, not any specific one. All mixed in together.

So sure you could post a Pentax MFD image, just like I could post a S2 image along with the Hasselbald, Mamiya, Phase One, ALPA, etc.

-Marc

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Around the neighborhood with the 45-85:

Roy Benson
    Last edited by benroy; 19th December 2014 at 08:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Roy.

These pics look very good to me.

Have you decided to keep the 645D? I noticed you had it for sale (and 645 lenses) and then withdrew the sale. I've been interested in it for a long time. I also have a co-worker who might, just might, be interested in going the MFD route someday and I had suggested he take a close look at the 645D.

Gary

delander

Classic English country park landscape with the 645D and 75mm lens, cropped.
    I'm afraid I'm a bit of B&W fan, this one has a slight warming filter on it.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice Jeff. It's nice to see this thread continue as well; moving it here seemed to be the kiss of death.

Tom

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally I think that Guy did this because the Pentax 645D images will be enough to sustain its own thread.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will be posting my 645D images in the "Fun with MF" thread in the medium-format section. I joined GetDPI to see work from other MFD shooters and learn from them rather than join a group devoted to a camera brand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pano of Portofino at sunrise. Nine vertical shots with the FA 55mm f2.8. All shots manual at f/11 1/30 sec. Some dodging on the buildings that were in shade. Some Nik Color Effects Pro applied.

delander

Beautiful, pity we cant see it at a larger size, perhaps you could post a crop at 100%?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Two crops of the previous image. One straight ahead from where I was shooting. The other one shows the back of the harbor, with some parts still in shade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by princepollux View Post
    Two crops of the previous image. One straight ahead from where I was shooting. The other one shows the back of the harbor, with some parts still in shade.
    Very impressive
    , I would like to see a large print of this scene as well

delander

Thanks, fantastic, a large print would look stunning.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is another pano; this one of Santorini. Stitch a 9 frames from the A 35mm, mounted on rail and leveled with the 645D's electronic level. 1/125 at f/13. Some dodging & burning, plus Nik Color Effects.

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a crop from the above file. As can be expected, the file reveals a lot of detail. In this crop a photographer is composing her shot, shoulder propped against the wall. I would never have noticed her while I was shooting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by princepollux View Post
    Here is another pano; this one of Santorini. Stitch a 9 frames from the A 35mm, mounted on rail and leveled with the 645D's electronic level. 1/125 at f/13. Some dodging & burning, plus Nik Color Effects.

Fabulous. Did you pan by moving the camera along the rail? What rail did you use?

Tom
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A bit of confusion on my part, what I mistakenly called a rail is actually my nodal slide. I use it on an inversed Acratech GP ballhead (a clever design which allows me to shoot perfectly leveled panos without a leveling base/panning clamp). Due to the lack of close foreground, I could easily have shot this without the nodal rail (i.e. without paying attention to nodal point/exit pupil/watchamacallit) but I was a pano newbie at the time and wasn't taking any chances. Stitching in CS5 Photomerge with the Repositionning option was easy.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, Lovely B&W park image. I can image the tonality could be adjusted in a number of ways for this particular image...as I'm trying to get a visual of the various possibilities (looks) in my head.

Princepollux, stunning images! As others have expressed, I'd love to see these printed large/wall mounted. In the last pano you posted, I felt there was a slight bit more post processing than I might have wanted...not sure if it's just the colors pumped up a bit or what looks like a mild HDR effect. Regardless, this is just a subjective comment on my part and the images are truly impressive.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave, you're right there is some tonal contrast applied, as well as a bit of Nik sunshine filter to warm up the general tonality. Just my personal taste. Perhaps also some sharpening artifacts, the file is downsized from an aggressively sharpened 60"x20" (canvas being the final destination).

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Princepollux: Portofino and Santorini panoramas are spectacular...breathtaking, too!

Roy Benson

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Out on the dawn patrol, trying (but failing) to beat the heat:

B&W branches: 35/3.5 A, leaves: 120/4 Macro A, flowers: 150/2.8 FA, statue: 150/2.8 FA

Roy Benson

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mailman brought a 80-160/4.5 FA lens this afternoon...took it out along my backyard fence for a workout...here are some samples.

Also breaking in an Epson 3000 printer...thus a couple of black and white conversions to give the printer a workout.

Roy Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A field of lupines on Mount Desert Island in Acadia National Park. Shot at dusk with A 35mm + 2 ND grads for 5 f/stops correction. No focus stacking due to light wind; even at f/13 the background is not completely sharp. MF is unforgiving.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful field of lupines...have always wanted to visit Acadia National Park...this image really increases that desire.

Roy Benson