Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the 645D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the 645D

Here is one showing how well the 645D does at dusk. 30" at f/10 with FA645 D 55mm. I wish it could go to 60" in aperture priority.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princepollux View Post
    A field of lupines on Mount Desert Island in Acadia National Park. Shot at dusk with A 35mm + 2 ND grads for 5 f/stops correction. No focus stacking due to light wind; even at f/13 the background is not completely sharp. MF is unforgiving.
    Lovely, lovely shot! Even without focus stacking, many other elements work to make this image one I'd like to see in a lrge print. Each time I've been to Acadia the weather has never been cooperative and look forward to a return visit. Time exposures at dusk is also something I haven't worked in MF. Very nice!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Loon, Hoel Pond, Adirondacks. 400mm FA.

Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, love the reflection of colors on the water and how the element of having the duck enter the frame with a trailing horizontal edge of water behind it, contrasts with the mostly vertical elements of the image.

Having lived in both New England and NY for a number of years, I've been seeing this years autumn images (so far) look as though many trees haven't yet turned colors. I know it can vary from place to place, but is maybe due to a late change of season or is this year colors not quite as prevelent as previous years? Just an observation. Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a shot I took tonight out in the desert west of my home. Nothing particularly special but I like the back lit plants/flowers at sunset. The atmosphere was a bit hazy and the light was soft with a touch of gold. Uncropped image, 55mm @f13, ISO 100.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Charles, being an easterner, I and not familar with the various types of plantlife and landscapes out west, and am always facinated when presented with images such as yours. The colors and warmth really come though as well as the detail and texture of the landscape. Nice!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dave.

Charles what plant it that has those yellow flowers? Looks like a great place to camp!

Here's another from the Adirondacks:

_IGP4707 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dave.

Tsjanik, the plant is called Snake Weed by the locals. I don't know the true botanical name. It looks beautiful in the desert but drives you nuts if you have allergies. The desert is a great place to camp as long as you have a tent. Sleeping in the open invites 'critters' in the sleeping bag with you that you might not appreciate. And a beautiful shot of fall colors you've posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Charles. Camping without a tent in the east almost assures rain and mosquitos, so no problem. Here's a pano I'm working on; a change of climate compared to yours-water everywhere (Lake Erie).

Tom

Untitled_Panorama2 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tsjanik, are you stitching in CS? If so, what Layout do you select? I use to own a Fuji G617 and I got use to that presentation, basically one half of a 5x7 large format frame shot with a 105mm. I found that Reposition or Cylindrical generally gives me that type of view.

It looks as if you get some pretty incredible sunsets over the lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use CS4 and automatic mode. Yes, spectacular sunsets are the quite common- an advantage of often having clouds.

Tom
    Last edited by tsjanik; 18th October 2011 at 17:08. Reason: the usual: spelling error

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Field test Hartblei 45MM for 645D

This report is on the Ukranian version of the Hartblei available from Vitaliy at the tilt-shift store. It works reasonably well, with some reservations. We finally got a break in the weather that allowed me to do a definitive field test for the Hartblei 45MM shift function, I did not do anything yet with the tilt.

My first test in very flat light yielded poor results, I compared it with the 55 2.8 A. The 55 was markedly sharper in flat light. In fairness I had to revisit the lens. This series was done in partly cloudy conditions and the results were much better. Most shift lenses have resolution fall off wide open, the Hartblei is no exception. I shot the photos using aperture preference, which was fine when the lens was in neutral position, however when it is shifted, a 2/3 open compensation was needed. The Hartblei performs well starting at F8, and seems to hit a sweet spot in the F11-16 range. There is no F22, a bit strange, it jumps to F32 from 16. It looks pretty good stopped down as well. Resolution falloff at shift is the same as neutral. Lousy at F3.8 fine at F8 and above. Color rendition in a good contrast lighting situation looks good. I compared the Hartblei 45 Super Rotator Digital to the Pentax 45-85 FA (set on manual focus). See the example of the fountain taken in neutral position. Color rendering and accuracy on the Pentax 45-85 is better as is sharpness. Please note, I did no sharpening or other manipulation other than some subtle exposure adjustments.

My conclusion at this point is that the Hartblei is a viable T/S alternative for the Pentax 645 at a hefty, but not unreasonable price point. Is it as good as the Nikon PC-e glass or that of a technical camera? Well no, but it is one of limited options available for the format and it is viable. I am bothered that the fit is a bit tight. The lens does not mount and dismount as easily as a Pentax lens. I should add this caveat. All of my Pentax lenses are used, the Hartblei is new, so I do not know if that is a factor. The lens is also lacks an auto-diaphragm, so you have to focus wide open and stop down to shoot. F3.8 is good for focus but little else. Shooting at F8 to F16 will yield quite acceptable results. There is no communication with the camera, so your metadata will show only the shutter speed and ISO. If you like to record this stuff, keep a pencil and pad handy. While all of this slows the action down a bit, I am sure it is still faster than using a technical camera.

Finally, my dealings with Vitaliy at the tilt-shift store have been good overall. Delivery is slow however, so expect to wait 4-6 weeks for delivery of your lens.

The images posted were shot 10/24/11. I will do something more akin to a real architectural or landscape shoot as soon as possible and post those results as well.
    Last edited by aboudd; 20th January 2012 at 16:06.
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the report Aboudd. I look forward to your further comments.

It would certainly be nice if someone produces a 67/645 shift adapter, allowing the 67 45/55 to be used.

Tom

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aboudd, can you post a link to the Tilt-Shift Store?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Thanks for the report Aboudd. I look forward to your further comments.

It would certainly be nice if someone produces a 67/645 shift adapter, allowing the 67 45/55 to be used.

Tom
    Agreed! I wish there was more options for tilt/shift for the 645D.

Nice work Aboudd and really appreciate all the effort in describing your findings.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ZION CANYON - ALPENGLOW

Here is a two frame vertical stitch/crop from a hike to Observation Point at Zion National Park about a week and a half ago. Fall colors were coming on strong. The sunrise became non-existent because of clouds on the eastern horizon but dawn and the alpenglow worked very nicely. 645D, 35mm @F11, ISO 100.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ZION CANYON - ALPENGLOW

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wood View Post
    Here is a two frame vertical stitch/crop from a hike to Observation Point at Zion National Park about a week and a half ago. Fall colors were coming on strong. The sunrise became non-existent because of clouds on the eastern horizon but dawn and the alpenglow worked very nicely. 645D, 35mm @F11, ISO 100.
    Excellent work Charles

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ZION CANYON - ALPENGLOW

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wood View Post
    WOW, spectatular picture Charles. Lovely color and great detail. I'd love to see this one in a large format sized print. Thanks for posting!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just for fun. I didn't harvest my pepper crop before the first frost. Here's the appearence of the plants.

_IGP6217 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Pentax 645 D, 45~85mm lens at 45mm. ISO 400, 1/100 sec f6.3
    Last edited by gurtch; 5th September 2013 at 08:18.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

gurtch, it has been a long time. Lovely sunset.

I have nothing against composite images, but this one is not working. First you should change the color temperature of the boat and the "reflection" is far too clear. In fact, the boat should be backlit with the reflection almost black and very broken by the water--you might try a glass or water filter on the reflection in Photoshop. The boat is also too small for its location. It looks like the boat has been distorted to try to match the perspective of the water. Sorry if I sound harsh--I am not trying to be. But the sunset would have stood better on its own.

Post Thanks / Like

Shashin: Thanks for the input. You were not harsh; I welcome constructive critisism. I will take your comments to heart, and see if I can improve the image.
    Best Regards
    Dave Gurtcheff
    Beach Haven, NJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Local pond, birch tree and hemlock reflections. 400mm f/5.6

_IGP6337-1 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wonderful texture!

delander

This camera seems to have died a death in the UK market, little mention of it anywhere. Not enough of a system (lenses) for the pro and too expensive for the amateur. Still I love mine so I thought I'd post a few autumn pics from the UK.

Jeff

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dave: Striking sunset...very dramatic! You have a wonderful location from which to shoot from...especially your seacape images.

Tom: Love the abstract of Fall colors in the water's reflection. I especially like when autumn's colors are done in an original way.

Jeff, your images show what is some of the Pentax's 645D's strength....outdoor/landscape shots and the depth and richness stands out. LOvely shots of the season!

Thanks all for posting these!

Dave (D&A)

delander

Thanks Dave. Is this camera selling OK in the USA, here virtually nobody seems to stock it and it gets very few mentions. I love the camera but I would like to see evidence of it being marketed by Pentax/Ricoh. There is almost a conspiracy of silence.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks MGrayson and Dave.

Jeff, I spoke with a 645D rep last week and he indicated that Pentax USA is selling all the 645Ds they can get. There's little point in marketing something you can't supply. 25mm production has been impacted by the recent weather disasters, as it has impacted all the Japanese companies. As far as coverage, it's last year's camera. How much do you hear about a D3x? SONY 24 MP sensor etc. is all the rage now.

Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, as Tom has mentioned, the 645D seems to be selling well here in the U.S. Not a few weeks go by that I don't learn of another new purchaser of the 645D...so it appears to be moving along fairly nicely for a MFD. I'd like to see them do well and continue moving forward with new lens releases.

Dave (D&A)

delander

Tom & Dave,

Your replies prompted me to talk to the dealer that sold me my camera. His view is that the situation is rather like Leica, they are selling every one they make. He also offered the view (from his Pentax rep) that Ricoh will be putting a lot of investment into Pentax.

Jeff

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Pentax salon in Tokyo has the mockup of the next lens release on display--with carefully placed tape so you can't see what it will be. So the release schedule is still on track.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use the histogram after exposure to make sure I got it right. I usually shoot hand held with a monopod. Today I used a tripod, and mirror lock up, because I wanted slow shutter speed to slightly blur breaking waves. I discovered that with the cable release plugged in, there was no image replay with histogram. It would not play back either. If I made a shot, then unplugged the cable release, the replay with histogram came up, no problem. Is this normal? BTW the cable release is a generic release, not the Pentax brand. Thanks in advance.

Dave G in NJ

delander

Rust and paint, 645D with standard 55mm lens. 2.5 seconds at F11, ISO 200.

Post Thanks / Like

The weather here on Long Beach Island, NJ has been beautiful, for late November, early December. Here are two recent shots. First is with 45~85 lens @ 45mm, ISO 800, 1/125 at f13. Hand held with monopod. Second is 35mm A lens 1/15th sec f13, ISO 200, polarizer, tripod, mirror lock up.
    Thanks for looking
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

After posting, I noticed the first picture's light sky areas seem a bit burned out. On my calibrated screen the full size PSD (not JPG) shows better, but I have not as yet printed it. If it prints light, I will need to do a little burning in.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This past Friday I decided to treat myself and the 645D to a late afternoon at the beach. Here is an HDR of the illuminated Manhattan Beach pier. Shot with the A200mm.

Post Thanks / Like

This past Friday I decided to treat myself and the 645D to a late afternoon at the beach. Here is an HDR of the illuminated Manhattan Beach pier. Shot with the A200mm.
    Very nice job of using HDR. I am still experimenting with the technique. I have had reasonable sucess using 35mm.. (Alpha 900) and Photomatix, but my 645D HDR images still need work.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

400mm f/5.6 hand held; heavy crop. B&W conversion in ACR. I really like the graphic nature of this, it's very different from my usual shots.

Tom

_IGP6448 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm generally not a big fan of HDR...but there is something both real and surreal about thsi image. It works extremely well with subject matter and lighting of the scene. Very nice!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

400mm f/5.6 hand held; heavy crop. B&W conversion in ACR. I really like the graphic nature of this, it's very different from my usual shots.

Tom

Tom,

Love it! The moment I saw it posted on the screen it caught my eye and I'm still looking over the details. As you mentioned, very different than your usual posted shots and I really like the way this one was processed. One of my favorate images of yours.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 12th December 2011 at 18:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dave. In color this image is less interesting; in B&W it reminds me of an Escher print (without the symmetry).

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful

Post Thanks / Like

Tom

This is a real gem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KCONE View Post
    This is a real gem.
    Thank you very much KCONE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave. In color this image is less interesting; in B&W it reminds me of an Escher print (without the symmetry).

Tom
    I agree Escherest, think I made that word up
    David

Post Thanks / Like

645D 45~85 FA at 45mm. Manual exposure & focus. ISO 400, 1/50 second f9.5, hand held with monopod.
    Dave in NJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A pair of aerials with the 645d, the first with the FA 150 and the second with FA75. This camera proved to be the perfect tool for aerials. In the past years i have used many cameras for my job, (just a few of them, Linhof Aerotechnika 4x5, Hasselblad, Kodak N pro, Nikon D2x) but only now, for the first time, I am really satisfied with the results.
    With film cameras the problem was low film sensitivity and slow central shutter speed, with digitals inadequate resolution and, much more important, moire everywhere on the fine texture of these roofs.
    The images, at full resolution, are available on flickr.

IMGP0775a by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP0820a by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Regards.
    Sergio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom,
    Excellent images you have posted especially the B&W birds.
    I am really missing my 645D "abound" has mine now...
    The 400mm FA looks like a real winner to me. Great stuff everyone.
    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sergio, as I remember you were having a problem getting GPS data for you images. Have you tried the Pentax GPS unit for the 645d? How is it working out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Tom,
    Excellent images you have posted especially the B&W birds.
    I am really missing my 645D "abound" has mine now...
    The 400mm FA looks like a real winner to me. Great stuff everyone.
    Steven
    Thanks Steven. The 400 is an excellent lens, in the same league as the 75mm, but not quite up to the 120. Shutter vibration can be an issue. How's your tech camera experience progressing? You could always add a 645D to your bag too .