Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Fun with the 645D

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the 645D

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Thanks Steven. The 400 is an excellent lens, in the same league as the 75mm, but not quite up to the 120. Shutter vibration can be an issue. How's your tech camera experience progressing? You could always add a 645D to your bag too .
    Sergio, great looking aerials with details and its interesting that there is no evidence of morie'. Tried some a few years ago with D2x and D3 with moderate success but I suspect the 645D brings it to another level.

Tom, completely concur with your observations and experience with the FA 400 f5.6. It's an extremely good performer, especially with adaquate support. A good sample of the FA 300 f4 is slightly/somewhat sharper but with the penalty of being 100mm shorter (but a stop faster).

Tom is right Steven...we have to find a way to get you back into a 645D and see some more great images from you!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom and Dave, I'm actually doing ok with my setup.
    check out kuau.com and go to the telluride section, all images taken with either my tech cam, or my rollei hy6.

Tom, yep on my old 300mm fa f4 which I got from dave, shutter vibration was something I had to deal with also..

steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Tom and Dave, I'm actually doing ok with my setup.
    check out kuau.com and go to the telluride section, all images taken with either my tech cam, or my rollei hy6.

Tom, yep on my old 300mm fa f4 which I got from dave, shutter vibration was something I had to deal with also..

steven
    Steven, I look forward to looking at your images taken with your tech cam and rollei hy6 late this evening....but if I tell you you're not doing OK with your current set-up, will that get you to return to using the 645D?

Yes good support with long lenses especially when used on MFD is a must, but when the stars align, the images really sing...with both the 300 and 400mm Pentax 645 lenses. I'll have to dig out a crop of a tiger I took when testing out the FA 400mm....as Tom indicated, impressive!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday (Dec 28, 2011) we had a wildly windy day here (a NJ barrier island). Fronts like this usually bring dramatic skys, and the 40 plus mph winds blow the sea spray when the waves break, making interesting photos. I got two "keepers" from my shoot. 645D, 75mm lens, polarizer, f13 at either 1/125 or 1/250, tripod mounted. Had a near disaster: The wind was so strong it blew my tripod over with camera and 35mm A lens on it nose first into the sand. I had a plastic grad filter on it which got smashed into a million pieces, but it did protect the front element. Home, I used a small paint brush to sweep away the dry sand, then used a lens brush to clean the front element. A pin point spot on the lens coating is the only casualty!
    Thanks for looking
    Last edited by gurtch; 5th September 2013 at 08:18.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Tom,
    Excellent images you have posted especially the B&W birds.
    I am really missing my 645D "abound" has mine now...
    The 400mm FA looks like a real winner to me. Great stuff everyone.
    Steven
    Steven,

would you actually recommend now (today) buying a 645D? I am still stuck with H3D39 and think about moving into another (cheaper & more versatile) system.

Thanks

Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Yesterday (Dec 28, 2011) we had a wildly windy day here (a NJ barrier island). Fronts like this usually bring dramatic skys, and the 40 plus mph winds blow the sea spray when the waves break, making interesting photos. I got two "keepers" from my shoot. 645D, 75mm lens, polarizer, f13 at either 1/125 or 1/250, tripod mounted. Had a near disaster: The wind was so strong it blew my tripod over with camera and 35mm A lens on it nose first into the sand. I had a plastic grad filter on it which got smashed into a million pieces, but it did protect the front element. Home, I used a small paint brush to sweep away the dry sand, then used a lens brush to clean the front element. A pin point spot on the lens coating is the only casualty!
    Thanks for looking
    Dave, Really love the images...sea spray and all! Great capture. The one with the seagull would make a lovely print to hang up, especially printed fairly large. Whew, glad there was little damage to your lens other than filter. It's moments like this that would cause my heart to skip a beat.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Steven,

would you actually recommend now (today) buying a 645D? I am still stuck with H3D39 and think about moving into another (cheaper & more versatile) system.

Thanks

Peter
    Hi Peter,

Although I briefly shot with the Hassy H3D39, Steven of course has had far more experience than I with comparing various other systems to the 645D. This is especially so in various weather conditions where as a field camera, the 645D excels. It rarely misses a beat invery cold weather and that is a big plus if you shoot in such conditions. As for comparative image quality, a lot depends on which lenses a used and also with the Pentax system, finding a good sample when it comes to many of their legacy lenses. Just thought I'd add these brief comments until Steven sees your post and chimes in.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Dave, Really love the images...sea spray and all! Great capture. The one with the seagull would make a lovely print to hang up, especially printed fairly large. Whew, glad there was little damage to your lens other than filter. It's moments like this that would cause my heart to skip a beat.

Dave (D&A)
    Thanks Dave. The weather sealing really helped protect the camera, as the sand here is very fine, like talcum powder, and is capable of getting into everything. I am one of the people that always leaves a high quality MC UV filter on every lens, at all times. 99% of my work is seascapes here on LBI. The sand blows and stings, there is salt spray, and corossive salt air here.
    Happy New Year
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, Hmmm... Not sure. You have to keep in mind, I am one of these people who rarely ever buys new equipment, I can never afford it.
    The only new camera I have purchased in the past 5 years was the 645D and the only regret I have is selling it, though I really wanted to go Tech View and I found a great deal on a demo Sinar arTec and a used Leaf Aptus II 7 AFI back so I sold my 645D system.

I guess the question is to me is it more capable then the H3D39, which I also owned in the past. My answer would be it depends on what you are shooting.

I found the 645D and excellent Landscape camera as long as you can live with F11-F16, and of course the lens situation is still uncertain. I am sure Dave could chime in here.
    At the peak of my 645D ownership I was using the 35mm A lens manual focus, 45-85mm FA zoom, 120mm FA macro, and I had the 300mm F4 FA lens. I found this to be a very capable system again living in F11-F16 world.

When I had my H3D39 system, which I purchased for a steal with an assortment of HCD lenses I had some issues in the filed when shooting in very cold weather. When I heard about the 645D, it really fit the bill for me, so I sold my H3D system actually made money on the sale and went with the 645D.

Why didn't I go from the H3D to a Tech View camera, simple $$$$$. Way to expensive.

I guess what I am saying is if I had not stumbled on a demo Sinar arTec, I would be still shooting my 645D...

Hope that helps.

-Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just brief add to Steven's post above that there is a considerable amount of variation in lens samples with most of Pentax's legacy lenses for the 645, especially the AF FA lenses of which I've tested multiple samples of each one produced for this system. My conclusion has been that most of these lenses were produced in the film era and precise adjustment before leaving the factory wasn't as critical for their use with film based cameras at that time. Many will require extensive Af fine tune withing the 645D body to extrqct good/excellent performance. There are exceptions and one is the FA 120 f4 macro. Virtually all samples of this lens are uniformly excellent and require little adjustment. My gut feeling is that this lens in that it being a macro, always required precise adjustment even for use on film cameras (especially for use in min distance range) was carefully adjusted before leaving the factory. Others not quite as much.

As for requirement of stopping down to f11/16, that all depended on which lens was being used, how good of sample and also what one's requirement's were for an image. Some excellent samples of certain lenses were very good even one stop down from max apature..others as Stevn pointed out, greatly benefited from stopping down 2, 3 or more stops for edge to edge sharpness and max. resolution.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave, thanks for comment. Yes, nearly no moire, just a faint trace here and there.
    Shashin, I missed the Pentax gps. Thanks for pointing me. I'll try to get it and will report.
    Sergio

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, Dave,

many thanks for the comments and feedback.

Think I will still stay with my H3D39

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave, when are we going to see your comprehensive lens review? I would really like to see it. I have not been having the same problems you have with my optics and I would like to see what you are talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for looking

Very nice Dave, glad your camera is OK. I can imagine there was some cursing going on for a few seconds.....minutes.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bellyk View Post
    Very nice Dave, glad your camera is OK. I can imagine there was some cursing going on for a few seconds.....minutes.

Dan
    Thank you Dan. Appreciate your comments.
    Happy New Year.
    Dave G in NJ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Dave, when are we going to see your comprehensive lens review? I would really like to see it. I have not been having the same problems you have with my optics and I would like to see what you are talking about.
    Thanks for your question. One of the reasons I am delayed in posting, was that I felt that with certain FA lenses, the sample size was too small to make a fairly definitive evaluation on relatively small sample sizesand therefore an accurate statement regarding performance. There were a few lenses which had so much sample to sample variation, that I had to have enough samples to make certain what I was observing was not the norm for a given particular lens. Its not that I had trouble with FA lenses in general...just that I am extremely critical when it comes to optical performance and in what I expect in terms of performance. It may not be what others look for and as such is always quite subjective.

Case in point...I had three identical Penatx FA lenses of a given type. I had a well known Photographer that uses a 645D test them out. He said two seemed almost the same and fairly good and the 3rd just a little bit soft compared to the other two. For my use, all three were dismal and wouldn't suffice for large format prints....but I finally found a 4th sample that was exceptionally good. Of course stopping down any lens to f11-f13 will cover up most optical anomalies and appear to be excellent. That's not where I shoot...always hoping for at least decent to good performance starting at 1 to 1.5 stops down from max aperture and that it only gets better from there as I stop down. So my findings may not be what others might have observed with the same lenses or what they possible need for their use.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 5th January 2012 at 09:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A warm and sunny winter in Italy this year. Just a short relaxing walk around with the camera.
    All with fa 45-85 iso 400

What are you looking for,Sir?

IMGP1109 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP1136 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

IMGP1153 by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Regards
    Sergio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update on Hartblei Digital 45MM super rotator

I posted a first review on the Hartblei 45mm digital super rotator here awhile back. I said I would post more later, it is on www.everything-foto.blogspot.com

It is the January 6th posting.
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sergio: excellent pics...really like the dog shot...not exactly hostile, but more curious, I would think. What came of this encounter?

Roy Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Pentax 645D ISO 400 1/60 second, f11, 75mm A lens. Hand held with monopod. I only got a few shots. I was standing on the edge of the walkway with 50 mph winds
    Thanks for looking
    Dave in NJ
    Last edited by gurtch; 5th September 2013 at 08:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dramatic shot Dave,splendid, narrative, perfect in every detail. Compliments.
    Roy, the dog performed in his role of guardian as a consumed actor, but finally briefly revealed his real nature for a short instant, that the precise and fast autofocus of the 645d helped to freeze.
    Sergio

Post Thanks / Like

Pentax 645D ISO 400 1/60 second, f11, 75mm A lens. Hand held with monopod. I only got a few shots. I was standing on the edge of the walkway with 50 mph winds
    Thanks for looking
    Dave in NJ
    Wow. I don't post much here so far, but I've been lurking for quite awhile. This is one of my favorite shots I've seen on this site. Fantastic job!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. We live on a barrier island off of the cost of NJ. This is the bay, not the ocean!!!. Does not happen like this very often, but I try to capture what happens here in winter. Thanks for the kind words
    Dave in NJ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sergio,

I'm quite taken with your image of the dog. It works on so many levels and the more I view it, the more I see things that resonate with me. A big

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. We live on a barrier island off of the cost of NJ. This is the bay, not the ocean!!!. Does not happen like this very often, but I try to capture what happens here in winter. Thanks for the kind words
    Dave in NJ
    Dave, as others have exclaimed.....tremendous shot! Love the drama of the moment captured and the lighting turned out to be an important element to the image's success as well the rough spray from the bay during the storm. So many other parts of this image worked and seemed to have come togther at just the right moments

I can truly say this image would look spectacular printed and framed. Lovely Dave!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for looking
    Dave in NJ
    Dave,
    Wonderful shot. The sea gull cracks me up. Calm in the storm. I spent my summers as a child at Surf City. Your photos bring back a lot of great memories. Spent a lot of time exploring and fishing LBI, ocean and bay side, especially down below Holgate. Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Dave,
    Wonderful shot. The sea gull cracks me up. Calm in the storm. I spent my summers as a child at Surf City. Your photos bring back a lot of great memories. Spent a lot of time exploring and fishing LBI, ocean and bay side, especially down below Holgate. Frank
    Thanks Frank. I love HOlgate. If you go to my web site, there is a ton of pics from Holgate. My grandparents on both sides lived here year round since 1917 & 1924, so I have been coming/living here all my life. I am 75 yrs Old next month, and still love it here, as does my wife o 53 years.
    Best regards
    Dave
    PS excuse the typos...this new fangled key board is a pain in the butt,

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Frank. I love HOlgate. If you go to my web site, there is a ton of pics from Holgate. My grandparents on both sides lived here year round since 1917 & 1924, so I have been coming/living here all my life. I am 75 yrs Old next month, and still love it here, as does my wife o 53 years.
    Best regards
    Dave
    PS excuse the typos...this new fangled key board is a pain in the butt,
    I meant the new fangled IPOD keyboard is a pain in the butt,,
    Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for looking
    Dave in NJ
    WOW! looks nearly unreal - how quiet the seagull sits in the storm.
    Great image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No posts for awhile, so here's one with the 35mm A. A snowless winter in the eastern US. No HDR here, just some blending modes.

Tom

1-17_IGP6821_9757 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom, WOW. The color and tonality are really rich.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Shashin. The sensor in the 645D is really wonderful and the files so malleable; you can push those pixels all over in Photoshop without the image falling apart. The sky was quite bright and the creek quite dark in the raw file.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tsjanik, Nice photo. Good to see a new post. I also shoot with the 645D and 35mm A. I'm often in the UP of Michigan at Pictured Rocks and have Lake Superior in the photos. I was wondering how you correct for the barrel distortion of the 35mm A. Are you doing this in Lightroom, Photoshop or something other? What settings? Thanks. And again, good work.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WildRover, I also have the A 35mm. It has no barrel distortion. Can you post an image so we can see?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom, I am enjoying the Pentax color. And you are right about how much you can push these files around.

I really enjoy these "out of season" photographs. It really emphasizes the palette the world has. We are kind of blind to it--if it is mud, it must be blah. I just love the water, sand, and sky color/texture you have in that image.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Tom, I am enjoying the Pentax color. And you are right about how much you can push these files around.

I really enjoy these "out of season" photographs. It really emphasizes the palette the world has. We are kind of blind to it--if it is mud, it must be blah. I just love the water, sand, and sky color/texture you have in that image.
    Tom +1! The tonality of your image as others have pointed out is simply fabulous as is the image itself.

Agree with your assesment that the 645D's files are very maliable in post processing.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks everyone. Wildrover: no correction applied here. I have seen a slight barrel distortion in the 35, when stitching, but I have never applied any correction to a single shot. Shashin: it was blah as you say, the only reason I got this shot is a self-imposed assignment to print a picture every day for a year. That project forced me out of the house.

Unrelated but interesting is this size comparison:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Thanks everyone. Wildrover: no correction applied here. I have seen a slight barrel distortion in the 35, when stitching, but I have never applied any correction to a single shot. Shashin: it was blah as you say, the only reason I got this shot is a self-imposed assignment to print a picture every day for a year. That project forced me out of the house.

Unrelated but interesting is this size comparison:

Compare camera dimensions side by side
    Tom,

I think why you posted image (above) works so well (for me), is the various richness of textures of the sky, land and water you were able to bring out. It's that and also these "textures" are all running horizontal. Reminds me a bit why some are facinated when different color sand is layered on top of one another in a bottle. It's as though each of your elements is layered one on top of another but yet are all still recongnizable for what they are.

Interesting size comparison. With the height and width of a sensor (not depth) primarily related to it's mass and size, I wonder how they were able to stuff that gigantic sensor of the 645D into it's smaller body? (relative to the size of the D3x)

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 3rd February 2012 at 19:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dave. It is layered in the sense there is a different adjustment layer for the sky, far bank, creek and near bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shashin, I found a few shots that show the slight barrel distortion of the 35mm A. I worked on them a bit to make them presentable, but I didn't correct for the barrel distortion I'm seeing. Normally, I would have added a +5 correction in Lightroom 3. In most shots you wouldn't see this, but with a long unbroken horizon line where sky meets water, it's more apparent. I brought up the question because I was wondering how other folks correct for this. All in all, I'm very happy with the 645D and 35mm A combination. Receding Memories was in Door County, Wisconsin and the other two were in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.Attachment 54385

Attachment 54383

Attachment 54384
    Last edited by WildRover; 24th October 2013 at 19:33.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Richard, your images are a reminder of some of the unusal and dramatic shoreline scenery I saw when traveling north of Michagan's upper Peninsula well into Canada. The weather was moody and it closely matched the rock formations as I traveled up the main highway. Lovely images!

As for the barrel distortion seen in the 35mm A lens, I have just a little experience with this lens as opposed to lots with its autofocus counterpart (many samples tested). What is interesting is the FA 35mm f3.5 has very unusal and strong field curvature, and with some subjects can be readily seen. Yet, this field curvature doesn't seem to play a prominant role in barrel distortion when shooting subjects at close and moderate disatnces (as these flat field images stay relatively flat). At infinity and towards the sides/edges of the frame, the curvature can be readily seen as the focus plane is different on the sides vs. the rest of the image. It appears the manual focus version of this lens has far less field curvature, but may not be quite as sharp a lens towards the central part of the frame when compared to the FA 35mm f3.5 . It may have been a design tradeoff by Pentax.

Often I've seen other examples with some 35mm format wide angle lenses that when subsequently updated, field curvature increased, which was a consequesnce of increasing the lens's resolution.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 5th February 2012 at 22:10.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WildRover View Post
    Shashin, I found a few shots that show the slight barrel distortion of the 35mm A. I worked on them a bit to make them presentable, but I didn't correct for the barrel distortion I'm seeing. Normally, I would have added a +5 correction in Lightroom 3. In most shots you wouldn't see this, but with a long unbroken horizon line where sky meets water, it's more apparent. I brought up the question because I was wondering how other folks correct for this. All in all, I'm very happy with the 645D and 35mm A combination. Receding Memories was in Door County, Wisconsin and the other two were in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
    WildRover, I am not sure what you are seeing, whether it is optical or a property of the horizon--the horizon is an equidistant line rather than a line that gets further away toward the edges of the frame like those on buildings (and I have no idea if that makes a difference, but I have had problems with horizon lines looking crooked after leveling the camera). Here is a shot I took recently with the A 35mm in Tokyo that has a lot of straight lines. I am not seeing barrel distortion, at least nothing that stands out.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/370730-post7853.html

Beautiful images, BTW.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Shashin,

I just had a look at the link to your posted image. Towards the top of the image, I do see mild barrel distortion, mainly observed on the upper two tiers of the building. It's quite readily seen in my opinion although I realize the camera was probably pointed upwards for the shot. Easily correctable in post processing though.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 6th February 2012 at 20:39.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave and WildRover, I took the lens out tonight and there is mild barrel distortion. Sorry for the confusion. My wife always said that lens made her look fat...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Shashin,

No problem at all. It's great that we all share our observations...both positive and negative. Still all in all, the Pentax 35mm 645 lenses are exceptionally good.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WildRover View Post
    Shashin, I found a few shots that show the slight barrel distortion of the 35mm A. I worked on them a bit to make them presentable, but I didn't correct for the barrel distortion I'm seeing. Normally, I would have added a +5 correction in Lightroom 3. In most shots you wouldn't see this, but with a long unbroken horizon line where sky meets water, it's more apparent. I brought up the question because I was wondering how other folks correct for this. All in all, I'm very happy with the 645D and 35mm A combination. Receding Memories was in Door County, Wisconsin and the other two were in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
    Those are really nice; few realize how lovely the Great Lakes are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the comments guys. Lake Superior is a special place. Lots of parks and undeveloped public lands. I did a couple circle tours thru Canada years ago. There is so much variety in the Lake Superior region that it can keep one busy indefinitely. I am planning a trip soon to try and catch a bit of winter. Also a trip to the southwest in Spring. I've accumulated a fairly extensive assortment of lenses for the 645D - A, FA, 67, but haven't tested or used many of them yet. If I get something interesting from my upcoming travels, I'll post a few. Maybe something from each of the lenses. I do plan on getting the 25mm when it becomes available. That lens seems to have a fair share of chromatic aberration and it will drive me nuts. The possibilities with such a lens though are so great that I will have to accept its flaws and try to fix as much as possible in post.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

WildRover, look forward to future image postings. Like others, I've heard the new 25mm is exceptionally good. Excellent sharpness with some edge/corner softness at the wider apertures but sharpens up across the frame when stopped down.

As for CA, I too have seen a fair number of images illustrating the fairly high levels. I thought this was a bit surprising, especially that the lens is a new optical design. Still all things considered, its a very interesting lens and I too hope to try one out in the not too distant future.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Something to keep the thread going: Beach garden. Mlikweed is an important stop for migrating Monarch butterflies. Taken last fall; love the color from this sensor.
    120mm

Tom
    Last edited by tsjanik; 28th February 2012 at 10:51.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Colors simply pop and I can almost reach out and touch (and feel) the textures, especially the grains of sand. Very effective Tom...Nice!

Dave (D&A)