Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the 645D

Thanks Dave.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A snow day in the Northeast today. Let me know if you want to come over and help me shovel the driveway.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like it – very minimalist. At least you have snow; I’m calling this the winter of 37 – Fahrenheit.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    I like it Ė very minimalist. At least you have snow; Iím calling this the winter of 37 Ė Fahrenheit.
    Tom, thanks. If you come over now, you can have all the snow in my driveway.

But no kidding about this winter. This storm should have come months ago. I finally have a reason for pulling out my snow shoes. We only had two other "large" storms, one in October and one in November. Not exactly the time of years that lets snow stick around.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Tom, thanks. If you come over now, you can have all the snow in my driveway.

But no kidding about this winter. This storm should have come months ago. I finally have a reason for pulling out my snow shoes. We only had two other "large" storms, one in October and one in November. Not exactly the time of years that lets snow stick around.

Nothing unusal about snow in New England this time of year. When I lived in Boston, we'd sometimes get a late Arpil snowstorm, even a fairly big one in May, which I'll never forget. Heck, it's only the beginning of March

With that said, further south (near Washington D.C.), it was a balmy 71 degrees today....I looked for snow but couldn't find any (couldn't resist ).

Yes, very minimalist image, I quite like it!

Dave (D&A)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Some folks use the ZEISS 2/110 even on smaller cameras like the LUMIX G1
    Attachment 40758
    I use the 110mm F2 on a Phase One with a P25+ back.

I really like the results!

This is a horizontal crop from a vertical file.

I also love the images that the Pentax 67 lenses produce on the Pentax645D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This one with the A200 4 at f11
    Sergio

profumo d'antico by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking through some shots from the fall, I found this: a few grapes left behind after harvest. Taken with the 200mm FA @f/4 (heavy crop); I think this lens is underappreciated - sharp even wide open, good color and bokeh.

Tom

1_IGP6121 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Looking through some shots from the fall, I found this: a few grapes left behind after harvest. Taken with the 200mm FA @f/4 (heavy crop); I think this lens is underappreciated - sharp even wide open, good color and bokeh.

Tom
    Tom, agree, the FA 200 f4 is sometimes a bit maligned in regards to its performence compared to say either the FA 150 f2.8 or FA 300 f4 ...but I may have found one reason for such comments. Out of most all FA 645 lenses I tested, getting a good FA 200 f4 that performed exceptionally well on the 645D at the wider apertures, was most difficult and took testing of many samples to find a single one. If you found one on the first go around, then you really lucked out. Some I tried didn't sharpen up very well until at least f8, if that. The warmth, kind of light and the image itself (that you posted) reminds me of the last vestiges of summer/fall.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's one from yesterday, a bit of a cliche, but I like it nonetheless. 400mm hand held (who needs a D800 anyway )

1_IGP7118 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom, what a cracking shot and the light is a real bonus.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, not cliche at all. I just logged on and caught a look and the image really hit me as one that works for a variety of reasons. The depth of field in this one has a good 3-D rendering. The horizontal wingspans contrast nicely with the vertical masts behind the houses. (not sure if they are masts or something else?). The warmth works very well too. The only thing that I would adjust is the tilt to the left of the image...as its quite prominant and distracts a bit. It would make a good poster for the movie "The Birds"

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bart.

Dave, you're right about the tilt of course. It's interesting that many times I don't detect that on screen. My father often told me I didn't have my head on straight, maybe he was right.

Masts they are. Some gulls still hang out at the harbor rather than joining their friends at fast food restaurant parking lots.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave, you're right about the tilt of course. It's interesting that many times I don't detect that on screen.
    And with the level in the viewfinder too.

Well done.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, it's a shot I would personally "print". It's inviting warmth, the 3-D of the birds and how they stand out is exceptional and just the overall feel of the image, works extremely well.

Of course you can ask viewers to tilt their head when viewing and then you don't have to correct for it...LOL!

The smart birds hang out at the harbor, knowing the catch for the day is fresh

The FA 400 645 lens always is very gratifying. Sometimes it doesn't have quite the level of microcontrast that the FA 300 645 lens does, but it's a very consistant performer and never lets me down.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Just added to my web site today. 645D with 35mmA lens
    Dave in NJ
    Last edited by gurtch; 5th September 2013 at 08:18.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that your photograph illustrates is how important the sky becomes in many images. It truly can change the dynamics of a scene, becomeing an element thats as important as the rest of the subject matter. I reminded of two of my favorite subjects (scenes) to shoot through the seasons, and often its not whether it's winter and snow, or spring and nearby wildflowers, but the dramtics of the seasonal sky that has me quickly find a place to stop and set up to capture the scene.

Unfortunately where I am georgraphically, it's usually just a simple confluent dark sky due to an impending storm or very big white fluffly clouds that dot the sky indicating the cheerfulness of springtime. In the Northeast I often remember skies as those in your image, which adds to the drama. The relatively small figures on the sandy beach contrasts nicely with sky, reminding of us the gentleness and wonderment experienced by small children and the other a the passing of what appears to have possibly been turbulent weather (although I realize that might have not been the case). Nicely done Dave!

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 4th April 2012 at 10:18.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Dave. You guessed it, the previous night it poured rain with high winds here on the barrier island. Often, next morning we get nature's surprise.
    Thanks for the kind words, as always....
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

A brand new one shot April 2, -- 645D 35mmA lens, f13, Polarizer, tripod, mirror lock up. Thanks for looking
    Dave in NJ
    Last edited by gurtch; 5th September 2013 at 08:18.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up a 300 FA today so wanted to try it out. Found this Osprey with a fish. Cropped of course.
    Last edited by TimWright; 3rd November 2013 at 13:08.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Tim! Even though cropped, nice composition and detail all around. The FA 300 is a favorite of mine and I carry it most of the time like I would a 70-200 f2.8 for a 35mm system. A Lens with a good compromise on speed, size and of copurse excellent performance.

I was looking for the fish...was it in the Osprey's left claw? A bit hard to tell.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

You can see the fish a little better in this shot.
    Last edited by TimWright; 3rd November 2013 at 13:08.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimWright View Post
    You can see the fish a little better in this shot.

LOL...Yep, I can see it now! You should have mentioned that by the time you took the shot, it was 1/2 a fish

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave:

How's your test of the 600mm? Any impressions so far?

Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dave:

How's your test of the 600mm? Any impressions so far?

Tom
    Tom,

Interesting that you asked. I just spend a good part of the previous two weeks testing the A*600 f5.6 with and without the 1.4x and also re-evaluating the FA 300 f4 and FA 400 f5.6 with the 1.4x. I've just started writing the evaluation which I would like to add to the comprehensive lens testing thread I previously posted. High winds during the past few weeks certainly didn't help. When I have some time I wanted to post a preliminary image or two illustrating some of the stengths and charateristics of this lens.

I'm definitely impressed with the lens and it's resolving power is noteworthy, but handling and achieving rock solid support to avoid image robbing vibration is most definitely an issue. I'll elaborate on this soon. I also have to keep in mind not to keep comparing with the current Nikon supertelephotos, which I have often used as a standard for performance in long lenses.

By the way, we not only share a common interest in the cameras we shoot. Take a look at the "Something New" thread in the Sunset Bar

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well in an attempt to keep this thread breathing, a cliche shot of a sunset - 400mm FA @ ISO 400. The more I use that lens and this camera the more impressed I am.

Tom

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, when I look at your crop, there appears to be a circular shaped area in your film where the emulsion seems to have been burned away from the strength of the sun's light being magnified through the lens...LOL!! Either that or the 645D unfortunately doesn't have 2,674 stops of DR....

Tom, seriously, just opened this thread on my iPad and up pops your image. What cliche, that boat makes the pic for me and it's simply a spectacular looking image. This is certainly one I would print up big! Sometimes simplicity can be very powerful if it has the right elements and this one has it for me. I also couldn't agree with you more, regarding both the 645D and FA 400mm....exceptionally fine performing combination that gives many other highly regarded camera/lens combos a run for their money. Very nice and good to see this thread on top again.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dave. Yes, not enough DR and notice all the red fringing around the boat! Actually I'm impressed at how the sensor and lens handled all that light. How's the 600mm testing going? I'm interested in that lens, so pm me if you sell it. (and if it's good).

How do you like the D800 compared to the 645D? I admit I'm tempted by it and a Zeiss 21mm rather than $5k for the 25mm, but by the time I crop to 4:3 , it's down to 30 MP.

Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, left me briefly say that I have garnered a different perspective of your image, now that I am back on a regular computer. Not better or worse...just different and this normally doesn't happen when I causally look at the same image on my ipad vs. a calibrated monitor. Just an interesting observation and not sure what I make of it.

Tom, I purposely haven't completed my short write-up of the 600mm nor put the D800 through it's paces, simply due to serious time constraints recently and didn't want to rush things. As usual, I am delayed but hope to rectify it and have some words posted. It certainly isn't intentional.

One thing I can say is I have always been impressed with the Zeiss 21mm...even with it's CA and distortion....it's simply a fantastic lens for landscape use and even with cropping...should still be extremely impressive. Combine that with the other things you can do with a D800 as an additon to the 645D...and versitility of having both is increased.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 19th May 2012 at 21:52.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Greetings, everyone. New 645D user here. I'm sad to post web-sized previews here, as the size doesn't do the images justice....that being said, I was able to get good focusing speed and accuracy, and found the 645D a pleasure to use in action!

And one, just for fun...nice to be able to hand the camera off to the sig-O and get a fun shot
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shots Ashwin, but didn't anyone mention that you can't use a MF as a street camera?

Tom

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Nice! I hope to debunk that theory....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin,
    im affraid that you would make any camera shine. You have what most of us really want..... Talent, something you can not buy..
    Again excellent images. I really love the space needle.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Steven, thanks so much, my friend. You are too kind! I'll do my best to live up to it...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Ashwin,
    im affraid that you would make any camera shine. You have what most of us really want..... Talent, something you can not buy..
    Again excellent images. I really love the space needle.

Steven
    +1, no make that +2 also! . Wow you work fast Ashwin...I didn't realize you already started posting shots with your 645D....nice! Most definitely agree with Steven, both on the Space needle shot as my favorite of this group of posted images as well as your having both photographic talent and a wonderful "eye" for capturing people. It's not as easy with the 645D vs. Leica M, simply in that for some people we meet (on the street etc.), a large camera is often very intimidating. That's where great interaction with your subject becomes most important.

As an aside, it's not everyday, people get to be "fist bumped" by Mr. Apple. I should be so lucky....LOL! Looking forward to seeing more!

Dave (D&A)

Bob Beresford

Interesting stuff . Have been interested in getting the Hasselblad / Fuji / - 40mm C-FE too.
    Got adapters from Fotodiox that go from Hass-V to Pentax 645 and Mamiya 645 .

Got lots of Pentax 645 glass [ the 300 ED is brilliant , the 400 ED is very good , the big 600 mm is brilliant .....can drop 49mm polarisers into the back of it , already......, the 150-300 ED zoom is very light, useful , colourful , and hard to argue with. ]

Will have to get the 645-D body sometime , but annoyed the sensor is so small . Why can't they make it 48 -56 mm wide ? Better perspective and far more compatible with the Pentax 645 lenses . Otherwise , at 44mm , it's too close to the 'wide angled' view of 35 mm/'full frame' . The angle of view is more important - mostly - than the resolution.

Pentax has excellent wides , like 645- 45mm and 55 mm . Can shift these on a Canon 5d-2 with a Zork shift adapter .

Can anyone sell me one used ? ( Pentax 645 to Canon EOS ) .
    email [email protected] [ can download free electronic postcards of New Zealand off that site ] . all the best.....it's a shifting world ?

acarlay

new user here.. i love the 645D! it took me awhile to get my post processing down to a point where I get this look consistently.. used 55/2.8 for these..

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few images I made during the past week. All were made using the 35mm A lens (Manual Focus) except the suspension bridge shot (120mm A macro lens)
    Last edited by Ken_R; 30th October 2013 at 18:09.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acarlay View Post
    new user here.. i love the 645D! it took me awhile to get my post processing down to a point where I get this look consistently.. used 55/2.8 for these..

Wow, I had forgotten we had a seperate thread for the 465D as most have been posting their 645D images in the "Fun with Medium Format" thread. It does get confusing at times where we really should post 645D images. In any case these images were striking when I opened this thread up. The skin tones look lovely and thats not an easy thing to achieve and it's one of the things I love about the 645D! Very natural looking and colors look great too. Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    Here are a few images I made during the past week. All were made using the 35mm A lens (Manual Focus) except the suspension bridge shot (120mm A macro lens)
    Hi Ken, welcome! Always wonderful when another 645D shooter joins our ranks and the images you posted are impressive! As I explaiend in my posting above, it's often hard to decide where to post 645D images...either in this thread or over in the "Fun with Medium Format" thread here on Getdpi, as that is where most with 645D's are posting. Maybe we'd find it useful to eventually settle on one or the other. A wider medium format audence is in the other thread to critique and look at images, but here it's generally 645D users, for the most part. In any case, nice to see others picking up this camera

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pictures from me - first "real" try with the Pentax 645D

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    As I explaiend in my posting above, it's often hard to decide where to post 645D images...either in this thread or over in the "Fun with Medium Format" thread here on Getdpi, as that is where most with 645D's are posting. Maybe we'd find it useful to eventually settle on one or the other. A wider medium format audence is in the other thread to critique and look at images, but here it's generally 645D users, for the most part.

Dave (D&A)
    Perhaps the admins could move this thread to the Medium Format Digital sub-forum, if most 645D users here agree?

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Perhaps the admins could move this thread to the Medium Format Digital sub-forum, if most 645D users here agree?

Gary
    Actually, the admins move this thread from the MF section to here. I think we are just posting in the Fun will MF thread and this thread is more or less ignored.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Actually, the admins move this thread from the MF section to here. I think we are just posting in the Fun will MF thread and this thread is more or less ignored.
    Gary I quite agree. I think if this thread remained in the medium format section, more 645 images might get posted here (in this thread) and it would be seen by a wider audience.

It's been a bit confusing. Shashin is correct, it now seems most post their 645D images in the Fun with MF thread. I think if that continues to be the case, then maybe this thread should be closed and if possible, the lovely images already posted moved there if possible.

Either way, whether 645D images are posted in this thread or fun with MF thread...it does belong in the medium format sub section again (in my opinion).

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Gary I quite agree. I think if this thread remained in the medium format section, more 645 images might get posted here (in this thread) and it would be seen by a wider audience.

It's been a bit confusing. Shashin is correct, it now seems most post their 645D images in the Fun with MF thread. I think if that continues to be the case, then maybe this thread should be closed and if possible, the lovely images already posted moved there if possible.

Either way, whether 645D images are posted in this thread or fun with MF thread...it does belong in the medium format sub section again (in my opinion).

Dave (D&A)
    +1
    Dave in NJ

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dear 645D friends,

Although I am not a 645D user, I don't want to miss many fantastic images shoot by all of you.
    If you can post these lovely images in the "Fun with medium format" thread, they will inspire other photographers, especially new members, to consider buying this fantastic camera which has been mistakenly underrated.

Thanks,
    Pramote

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Landscapelover View Post
    Dear 645D friends,

Although I am not a 645D user, I don't want to miss many fantastic images shoot by all of you.
    If you can post these lovely images in the "Fun with medium format" thread, they will inspire other photographers, especially new members, to consider buying this fantastic camera which has been mistakenly underrated.

Thanks,
    Pramote
    Well, this forum is the 645D home base so to speak.
    But one can always post in both of course

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

White clematis and red rose. Very striking in person.

_IGP7569 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Last edited by tsjanik; 4th June 2013 at 10:26.

Post Thanks / Like

White clematis and red rose. Very striking in person.
    Too dark (IMO). A brighter treatment would have much more impact.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Iím still experimenting with my newly acquired 600mm A*. Itís an amazing lens in terms of build and optical quality; however, it is a handful to use. The 400mm is light, very sharp and easily held by hand at high shutter speeds; in contrast, the 600m requires a tripod and extra stabilization. Is the 600mm worth the extra effort? Hereís a shot of some foxglove and a 100% crop (no sharpening beyond capture). I like the bokeh of this lens and it has very little CA; with 12 elements in 11 groups, the old Pentax appeared to produce the best lens they could.

_IGP7627 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

_IGP7627 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post