The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

D&A

Wow Tom...That sunset color is intense. If you didn't mention that it was a lake, I was thinking the foreground rocks were hot molten (or solidified) lava glowing. Is the foreground sand and rocks with the tide out and the primary body of the water in the distance...so something else? In either case a facinating image of Lake Erie. Nicely done!
Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Tom
:thumbs:
Well done great image 200mm stitched I would have never thought of that
I will have to try one with my 200mm fa

Steven

tsjanik

Thanks guys.
Steven the resolution of the stitched image is amazing. It's lost in the web version, I'll post a crop later.
Dave,It's all ice. The large chunks are all pieces from a thaw a few weeks ago. The last few days have been very cold and still, so what you think is sand is skim ice formed recently. The shot was taken just before the sun set, so the last rays were almost parallel to the surface of the lake. The red pieces are ice high enough to still be hit by direct sunlight.

D&A

Tom, thanks for the explanation! It looks completely different from what I recall Lake Erie looks like...great shot. Yes, would also love to see crop from stitching...web images rarely do justice to images (especially stitched ones) when actually seen in print, etc.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Tom, Can clearly see thats ice now...but that rock in the foreground is erie (no pun intended)...looks like a hot molten lava roack thats glowing red hot. Great detail.

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

I got to have some fun with the 645D today and yesterday; nothing extraordinary, but enjoyable. First signs of spring here. Unkown (to me) beach plant shows new growth, rising from the decayed remains of last year; beach abstract; birds, (apologies to A. Hitchcock.)

D&A

Hi Tom,

Really like the 1st shot (on left) for it's texture, pattern and monochromatic look surrounding the single colored flower in the middle. Would make an interesting print in my opinion. Also like the "cold" tone of the middle image along with the shadow of the barren tree..all contributing the starkness of winter. The final image would do Hitchcock proud. Which lenses did you use for these images? Today I've been putting a (another) FA 45-85 through it's paces. This one an extremely good performer at most focal lengths. I have to ctach up with a mountain of other work, so I can eventually post some images.

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

Thanks Dave. I like the 1st one as well, it's the only one I've printed and makes a nice print, somewhat lost on the web. Lenses used were: 120, 35, 400.
Please do post some images; if it weren't for you, Steven, Sergio, Dave and me there wouldn't be much activity on this thread.

D&A

Hi Tom,

Yes, the image on the left is most is most definitely the one I would choosen to have printed too. It's unfortunate, as you mentioned, that web images often don't convey how good an image is, until seen in print or at least on a sufficiently sized monitor. One has to sort of use their imagination when viewing here on the web. Now that you mentioned which lenses were used, I try to imagine why the images and their perspectives look the way they do, relative to the focal length and it makes sense.

Hopefully as time goes on, more will join in the discussions regarding the 645D and images from it. I think it just takes some time and hopefully we'll keep things moving forward. I just wish there were more hours in a day to do more :)

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Messing with 645D and HDR. A friend on another BB suggested I try using CS5 HDR Toning, rather than Merge to HDR. He also suggested you can use one shot, bring into ACR, and make one 2 stops over, one 2 stops under and combine with a "correct" exposure. The first shot was done that way. Second shot also used HDR Toning, but combined three shots 2 stops apart made in camera, tripod used.
I'm still learning.....
Dave G in NJ

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Dave "Gurtch" Nice images, I am not a huge fan of HDR, though I like the first image better.
Everyone else on this thread, it would be helpful to know which lens was used and at what F-Stop / ISO.
Since the 645D is by itself a great camera, finding good lenses is a whole other story.

Steven

gurtch

Kuau: Good point. The picture on left was made with the 45~85 FA which I am VERY pleased with. F13 of f16. Picture on right made with 35mm f3.5 A (Manual focus) lens which does not have a sterling reputation, but I love mine. Again f13 of 16, camera on tripod mirror locked up three exposures. I, too, am not a big fan of HDR that "looks like HDR". I'm trying to hold highlights from blowing out, and pulling shadow detail, but I want a natural look. Like I said "I'm still learning".....I'm 74, but still chugin' along!
Best....
Dave

tsjanik

Dave:

I'm not much of a HDR fan unless it's almost undetectable. I much prefer the first shot, but would lessen the effect in the sky.

tsjanik

645D as widlife camera?

I was in a local harbor watching some of the migrating waterfowl. The harbor was filled with Mergansers and I tried a shot using the AF on the 400mm. I don’t have any experience with 35mm based AF systems, but I must say I was impressed with the camera’s ability to nail the focus on a bird passing by at high speed. Full and crop of focus bird

kuau

Workshop Member
Kuau: Good point. The picture on left was made with the 45~85 FA which I am VERY pleased with. F13 of f16. Picture on right made with 35mm f3.5 A (Manual focus) lens which does not have a sterling reputation, but I love mine. Again f13 of 16, camera on tripod mirror locked up three exposures. I, too, am not a big fan of HDR that "looks like HDR". I'm trying to hold highlights from blowing out, and pulling shadow detail, but I want a natural look. Like I said "I'm still learning".....I'm 74, but still chugin' along!
Best....
Dave
Dave I hope I am still shooting when I am 74 :thumbup:
I just sent you a PM. I would love to get my hands on one of your DNG/PEF files taken with your 35mm "A" lens to compare to my FA 35MM lens.

Steven

woodyspedden

Dave I hope I am still shooting when I am 74 :thumbup:
I just sent you a PM. I would love to get my hands on one of your DNG/PEF files taken with your 35mm "A" lens to compare to my FA 35MM lens.

Steven
C'mon Steve

Lots of us are still shooting at 74. The difference is that while you guys at the workshop went hiking to Patriarch Grove, the altitude plus lugging all the gear through the snow was too much for me.

I think that all you can do is the best you can do (and then enjoy!)

Best my friend

Woody

kuau

Workshop Member
Woody, No disrespect I just hope I can still see when I am 74, I have horrible vision at age 48 and it's only getting worse and uncorrectable.

Anyways,
I remember sitting in you car in Northern Arizona / Utah telling you that you were my Hero and I hope one day I can live my life like you have.

Though I only got to meet you for 3-4 days, to this day I always bring your name up to my wife when she asks me what I want to do/be when I get older, my response has always is and will always be "I want to be like "Woody"
My Friend.

Steven.

ps.. Can't wait to see some of your images from your new S2...

D&A

I think that all you can do is the best you can do (and then enjoy!)

Woody, always a great philosophy to live by! Never stop enjoying life, and always think positive... even though at times as we get older, certain tasks that were once easy become a bit harder.

On a seperate issue, I too am not a big fan of HDR...except when its both effective and yet not obvious. I will say though I once saw a NYC street scene where HDR was used to empasized the summertime street activites, and make them seem almost sureal. It was extremely effective. Thats probably because it was made to be quite obvious, a sureal scene.... obvious, rather than just enhancing part of the scene, which often render those parts unrealistic. Of course HDR is very subjective and like taste in food, there is no right or wrong.

Dave, like Woody, I admire your passion for photography and boundless energy to capture images. Always enjoy looking at your posted images and your photographic endevors.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
M

ManuelGF

Pentax Demo Barcelona Fair 75 / 2,8 AF at f13. Processed in cs5. 100% crop.