The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

johnnygoesdigital

I use my M9 quite a lot, and since March, I have about 2000 shutter clicks, so to reach the 645D's 50,000 shutter clicks is reasonable at that rate. However, I can easily shoot 500 images in a day for a client, but again this camera is intriguing and I would use several cameras to add to that shutter count. I am also curious about lenses and the absolute best for this system. It really comes down to the glass and its resolving power, and from what's posted in these galleries, i'd say the 645 D's is becoming a viable contender!

tsjanik

Nature put on quite a show last night -dramatic sunset and a cresent moon appearing through the clouds. Same lake that was covered with ice a few months ago. No saturation or any other enhancing PS work. 45-85mm

D&A

I use my M9 quite a lot, and since March, I have about 2000 shutter clicks, so to reach the 645D's 50,000 shutter clicks is reasonable at that rate. However, I can easily shoot 500 images in a day for a client, but again this camera is intriguing and I would use several cameras to add to that shutter count. I am also curious about lenses and the absolute best for this system. It really comes down to the glass and its resolving power, and from what's posted in these galleries, i'd say the 645 D's is becoming a viable contender!
Not sure if anyone knows if the 50,000 figure is just a conservative estimate or not, so its hard to say. Lets say for example you kept up the rate of shooting with a 645D as you have initially with your M9...then you would reach 50,000 in a little over 8 years. Thats assuming you would keep up that rate all year long. How much I would worry about this aspect, I'm not certain.

Regarding lenses, many have excellent resolution, especially when stopped down. They don't compare to S2 lenses in general and certainly not when used wide open as many do with the S2. As important as it is to pick those focal length lenses that are noted to have excellent performance, sample selection with many is equally important and thats a fact thats often overlooked with those purchasing the FA af 645 lenses (unless one shoots at beyond f9.5 all the time. Lastly careful adjustment of the 645D AF fine tune in the body with each lens I found is a must and makes a substatial difference with some lenses and samples.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Nature put on quite a show last night -dramatic sunset and a cresent moon appearing through the clouds. Same lake that was covered with ice a few months ago. No saturation or any other enhancing PS work. 45-85mm
Wow Tom, stunning colors...and very dramatic! IS there any way for you to lighten the lake just a little? I hadn't noticed it was actaully a lake (vs. solid ground) till you mentioned it, but I think if it stood out just a fraction more, it might enhance the impact of the image.

Interestingly, in my neck of the woods we've been having similar skies (that striking purple-orangy colors at sunset and I would have stopped, but alas the foreground to the sky I noticed while driving (and in the area I was at the time), can't come close to matching yours....That is if one considers a foreground of McDonalds, Burger King's and strip malls an attractive addition to such an image? I think not and no doubt would take your image with lake anyday of the week. Really nice Tom!

Dave (D&A)

Shashin

...so to reach the 645D's 50,000 shutter clicks...
Camera companies tend to be conservative with this number, but there are older cameras with more mileage on them than this (that is about 1400 rolls of 35mm film or 4200 120 rolls). But look at it this way, that is 20 cents per exposure. You can change that to your clients.:D

tsjanik

Wow Tom, stunning colors...and very dramatic! IS there any way for you to lighten the lake just a little? ......
Dave (D&A)
Thanks Dave. I tried lightening the water, in fact I have 3 exposures at + 2 EV for HDR. I didn't like the way it looked, very unnatural to my eye. I only spent a few minutes this morning, may try again.

Tom

Shashin

I like the black water. I don't mind it is not obvious to the viewer. This allows some exploration of and mystery to the image.

D&A

Thanks Dave. I tried lightening the water, in fact I have 3 exposures at + 2 EV for HDR. I didn't like the way it looked, very unnatural to my eye. I only spent a few minutes this morning, may try again.

Tom
Hi Tom,

As you know, it's all subjective and it was just a thought. Sometimes one looks at an image and thinks it might look better if an element is altered in some way...but after seeing the alternative perspective, it doesn't always work. All one can do is try and from your description, it appears your posted image is the one that's most effective. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Well it wouldn't be the 4th of July without the obligatory 4th of July fireworks shot :)

For a variety of logistic reasons, this shot taken with the 645D and FA 300 f4 lens was not from my usual vantage point for capturing fireworks, which generally is with the backdrop of the Potomac River along with the Nations Capital, Washington monument (among other historic monuments & buildings). Those images were taken with the Nikon DSLR a bit earlier. In trying to get an alternative view, I quickly moved equipment etc. a great distance, only to find on this one particular occasion, a very restrictive view due to the placement (or should I say misplacement) of a "Dept of Transportation" portable light tower assembly with wires, placed right in the line of sight. Grumble grumble. :cry: At one point, while quickly groping around in the dark to make on-the fly adjustments, I inadvertantly turned the ISO dial to both 400 (this shot) & 800 on others...rather than holding to my desired ISO 200.

Last edited:

aboudd

Hooray for the red white & blue

7/04/2011 645D w/ 120 Macro, ISO 250

Every year I make my trek to the roof deck of a building in Arlington VA to shoot the fireworks. The typical summer heat generates a haze which precludes crisp shots, but the D performed well in these conditions nonetheless. The detail is truly amazing, about twice as sharp as the D3x I used to use.

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Dave, Aboudd,
Nice fireworks.
Dave, i cant believe it, you finally posted an image from your 645D :)

D&A

+2. Dave, let's see some more!
Thanks all, it's appreciated! The reason I've been holding off posting images all this time is I've been in the process these past few months of deciding on a new "more secure" hosting site. In the recent past, I've had some serious instances of images of well known individuals/performing artists "lifted" for unauthorzed use. I thought once securing the secure hosting site, I would be able to post pics in their full web size (as most have posted) as opposed to the small images that have to be "clicked" 2-3x when loaded through Getdpi. Posting though a independent server is definitely a convienience and a much more attractive way of posting. Maybe if no one minds in the meantime (until which time I load my images onto a hosting site), I can continue to post here the usual way (through GEtdpi)

Aboud, lovely shots of the fireworks with D.C. as the backdrop! As usual, you have a incredible vanatge point in which to facilitate some great shots!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

gurtch

Dave (D&A): I LOVE the fireworks shot. Just for fun, I made an irregular outline around the obtrusive part and used Content Aware Fill. Hope you don't mind. I deleted it from my PC right after I posted.
Great shot....
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

Last edited:

gurtch

Pentax 645D and 120mm A Macro f13 or 16, monopod. Converted to B&W with Silver Efex Pro, with orange filter, Plus X 125 film emulation. Edges and corners
burned in, similar to my dark room prints. This image will go to 24"x32" no sweat.
Best regards
Dave

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Dave very nice...:thumbs:
What program do you use for the virtual frame? I like it.

Steven

Pentax 645D and 120mm A Macro f13 or 16, monopod. Converted to B&W with Silver Efex Pro, with orange filter, Plus X 125 film emulation. Edges and corners
burned in, similar to my dark room prints. This image will go to 24"x32" no sweat.
Best regards
Dave

gurtch

Dave very nice...:thumbs:
What program do you use for the virtual frame? I like it.

Steven
I first make the small low res jpg, usually 72 to 90 dpi, widest dimension 10". I then do select all and Edit>stroke, and put a narrow outline around the image. I then do a COPY. Then I make a new image and make it about 12" wide, the do a PASTE. This puts the image in a white mat. Then I select all, and Edit>stroke with a wider grey outline. It takes longer to describe it than it does to do it!
Best
Dave

tsjanik

I haven't done much photography of late, so a shot of my modest garden, Crop (pun intended) shows my homemade sprinkler elevation device and rabbit fence. 35mm A